Snapdagon 801 over the 800. A decent upgrade?

Search This thread

nedia

Jan 30, 2014
Hey all,

So these latest phones (Galaxy S5, Xperia Z2, new HTC One) all use the Snapdragon 801, but I was wondering if it's actually a decent upgrade. From what I can tell, it's a pretty minor one, but perhaps I'm wrong?

The main differences are an increase in clock speed from 2.3 to 2.5, slightly bumped GPU speed and a new memory interface. I'm guessing you could overclock the CPU/GPU 800 on your Nexus 5 (for example) and get near identical performance to an 801.

Other than that what else do we have? Just a new memory controller, eMMC 5.0, which apparently supports speeds of up to 400MB/s. I had trouble finding the memory bandwidth of eMMC 4.5 (featured on the Snapdragon 800), so I'm not sure if this is actually going to impact performance at all.

It seems that basically they just overclocked the 800, gave it a new name, and just use it for marketing purposes to make the latest flagships sound better, when in fact they feature the same silicon as a Nexus 5 etc.

Thoughts?

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
Last edited:

nedia

Jan 30, 2014
The GPU is receiving a significant boost +128mhz on the 8974AB and 8974AC, all the clocks are being increased so it must be a thermal revision and not "overclock"

internally it has a different designation: v3 versus v2

here is a GPU comparison:

highest scoring Trex is 24fps on the Nexus 5

Interesting! Thanks for the GPU comparison.

Top Liked Posts