[Q] MT4G: superior screen , made in China?

I have a phone with a superior screen and it was made in ...

• China

Votes: 59 60.2%
  • Taiwan

Votes: 39 39.8%

• Total voters
Search This thread

raeef

Nov 12, 2010
Amman
I noticed many of the people who got the Chinese phone got a better screen, Please just vote so that we can see if there is a trend.

kfgtboypsp

Jun 13, 2010
808 State
Mine is made in taiwan. And I have the washed out screen. Disapointed. And my remorse period is over.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA App

bobsbbq

Jun 8, 2008
Cleveland, TX
I think we have more than established that it is not tied to China or Taiwan, FFC off center or not. What I would tell someone is if all you have been getting is units from Taiwan and they are bad ask for one from China, and vise verse.

I also believe that the first batches that sent out had more of the bad ones and in certain areas the bad ones are more than the good ones.

If you look through my other thread there is many comments about this.

With this said I had luck with one from China.

Reactions: shlongwoodian

jriv

Apr 13, 2010
Princeton,MN
i have a white one with the ffc dead center and superior screen and its made in china. i guese i got lucky on both counts with the camera and better screen.

kfgtboypsp

Jun 13, 2010
808 State
My ffc is dead centered too. Only problem is Just my washed out screen is disapointing. I guess ill have to live with it.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA App

ckisgen

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 7, 2007
raleigh, NC
Mine is also Taiwan ... black with good screen, centered FFC, decent battery life. No complaints here.

SLIGHT creek on left side of phone just underneath the volume control but after reading everyone else's issues - I'm not even thinking twice about that one...

i LOVE this phone...

bchen03

Oct 3, 2010
Mine is from Taiwan with a bad screen, FFC off-center. The trackball wiggles slightly and the back button creaks a bit.

btbuck1

Aug 25, 2010
My latest (Black) is china build, shipped with 2.2.1 has a dead center FFC and the superior screen.

shlongwoodian

Feb 14, 2009
Longwood
LCD-SH-C2 vs. LCD-SO-C2

I've been through a few replacements for creaking, etc. and thus, I've had a few different MT4G's under one roof. The first phones we ordered were 1 white and 1 black. I still have my first white one here, as well as its second replacement (its first replacement was sent back since it was defective).

I grabbed my new MT4G and my fiancee's first MT4G (the Black one, which is about to be replaced by Plum) and compared them last night.

Here's a side by side...

2010-12-12_1814.png

The one on the left side of the pic is my fiancee's black one. Here are some details about the black one:
  • It was manufactured in Taiwan
  • Its hboot > System Info shows LCD-SH-C2

2010-12-12_2009.png

2010-12-12_2008.png

The MT4G on the right side of the pic is my white one. Here are the details about that device:
  • It was manufactured in China
  • Its hboot > System Info shows LCD-SO-C2

2010-12-12_2009_001.png

2010-12-12_2007.png

I just wanted to document the devices I had here and be another notch on the belt of, "the LCD-SH-C2 screen appears to be the inferior one."

I'll keep searching around as I haven't seen anyone actually state whether or not they have a phone from Taiwan, but with the "superior" LCD-SO-C2 screen.

Also note that the "paint" on the back of the one from Taiwan (where the 'Made in...', IMEI, etc. are) is much lighter/duller than the one from China. All of the other MT4G's we've had here were made in China, had the superior screen and had a crisper paint for the IMEI, etc. I've seen plenty say the know it's not simply "China vs. Taiwan," just haven't personally seen anyone show they have a phone manufactured in Taiwan, yet with the superior screen.

Anywho, again, I just wanted to document my experience with the good vs. bad.

Also, what are TMO or HTC saying about this? Have either "owned up" to this? Is TMO officially accepting the obvious and documented manufacturing differences?

Reactions: devalian

shlongwoodian

Feb 14, 2009
Longwood
FYI...

Typically a TMO employee or moderator responds to posts on the TMO support forum, particularly, if someone's posting misinformation, etc. It appears as though the moderators have been silent regarding the "Inferior" display vs "superior" pictures! thread.

I called TMO and used "cancel my service" to get to Customer Loyalty. I wanted to just see if someone, anyone was "on top" of this QC issue. I spoke with the Customer Loyalty rep's manager and they're pretty much avoiding all-things technical. She offered her two cents and stated that maybe TMO is currently looking into the discrepancies and that's why they've been silent.

What she DID offer though, was to make this right. Since my fiancee and I are going on our 5th MT4G between us, she offered to just give us one for free.

I just wanted to share my experience with others, to see if this could help anyone get something out of this. I didn't call in to yell, I didn't ***** or gripe and I did not ask for the credit. I truly wanted to communicate what's documented here, on TMO's forum and on HTC's forum.

Just figured I'd share this with everyone.

tharptx

Aug 17, 2010
Austin, TX
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 9
Hi - I just got a MT4G over the weekend (previous MT3G user with CM6.1). My phone was made in Taiwan and, judging from your picture above, I definitely don't have the washed-out "inferior" screen.

Haven't figured out how to check the hboot > system info yet. Once I do I'll compare with your results and reply back.

Reactions: excarnate

shlongwoodian

Feb 14, 2009
Longwood
Hi - I just got a MT4G over the weekend (previous MT3G user with CM6.1). My phone was made in Taiwan and, judging from your picture above, I definitely don't have the washed-out "inferior" screen.

Haven't figured out how to check the hboot > system info yet. Once I do I'll compare with your results and reply back.

Press and hold the power button + the volume DOWN while powering on.

Looks like you have to have root access in order to get into hboot. It's difficult to say which screen is which unless you can compare. Our employee just got his MT4G, a white one, at a local TMO stand in our mall. He thought his looked just fine - until he compared his to mine. His was made in Taiwan and he has the inferior LCD-SH-C2 display.

I would love to see someone with pics of a phone made in Taiwan, yet shows LCD-SO-C2 for the display. I have yet to see photographic evidence of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: excarnate

ESKIMOn00b

Apr 16, 2009
alabama
i have a taiwan with the SH... will be comparing it with any i can get my hands on... i'll be back with further results...

work at an indriect dealer... get my hands on a lot of phones...

shlongwoodian

Feb 14, 2009
Longwood
i have a taiwan with the SH... will be comparing it with any i can get my hands on... i'll be back with further results...

work at an indriect dealer... get my hands on a lot of phones...

Yep, from what I've seen thus far, all of the devices that came out of Taiwan have the SH display. I'm dying to see one that came out of Taiwan and shows the SO display.

ESKIMOn00b

Apr 16, 2009
alabama
apparently every MT we have at my store is taiwan....

checking across the hall at retail tmo in a bit

does the barcode on the box say china on the china ones? mine says taiwan on phone and box...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just want to remind everyone that you CAN check display type WITHOUT rooting.

Download terminal app from market.
    REBOOT!
    Type dmesg into terminal and press enter.
    Line 14 or 15, look for something along the lines of <7>00000000 tag panel parsing panel type 1 or 2.
    Type 1 is Sharp, bad screen, type 2 is Sony, good screen.

I have the sh screen but it looks OK. Not terrible, but not fantastic. Looking to compare in person to known good screen.

Anyone in sf bay area??
    Well I know there are many frustrated people right now and rightly so. But I would honestly tell you this. If I thought there was a better option than T-Mobile and the MT4G I would have switched already. Verizon is no good for me, I travel and a phone with no SIM card is not a option. They have no 4G phones. AT&T operate on weird frequencies not standard to other carriers.

As bad as it is I have stuck in here with T-Mobile. I would say although this is very upsetting to people right now that have run out of options I would try to be patient if you can. I would write a email to HTC, Call them, and keep calling T-Mobile. You never know when you might get a nicer person.

The bottom line is this issue will, and is raring it's ugly head and I suspect HTC and T-Mobile will have to address this soon. At that time it might be easier to do a replacement.
    go the store, look at the box, make sure it says made in china
    chances are really good you'll have the better screen
    check it before you leave the store, or better yet have them turn it on and show you it working before you finish the transaction
    go into bootloader by pressing power and volume down, go down to system info and check that the screen is LCD-SO-C2

This method only works if S-OFF.

I thought I would have to download the Terminal App as discussed prior, and enter dmesg
    But I can check the screen as per your post using bootloader, as that would be much quicker to check.

I appreciate your help ;)

Terminal Emulator is your best bet.
    LCD-SH-C2 vs. LCD-SO-C2

I've been through a few replacements for creaking, etc. and thus, I've had a few different MT4G's under one roof. The first phones we ordered were 1 white and 1 black. I still have my first white one here, as well as its second replacement (its first replacement was sent back since it was defective).

I grabbed my new MT4G and my fiancee's first MT4G (the Black one, which is about to be replaced by Plum) and compared them last night.

Here's a side by side...

2010-12-12_1814.png

The one on the left side of the pic is my fiancee's black one. Here are some details about the black one:
    • It was manufactured in Taiwan
    • Its hboot > System Info shows LCD-SH-C2

2010-12-12_2009.png

2010-12-12_2008.png

The MT4G on the right side of the pic is my white one. Here are the details about that device:
    • It was manufactured in China
    • Its hboot > System Info shows LCD-SO-C2

2010-12-12_2009_001.png

2010-12-12_2007.png

I just wanted to document the devices I had here and be another notch on the belt of, "the LCD-SH-C2 screen appears to be the inferior one."

I'll keep searching around as I haven't seen anyone actually state whether or not they have a phone from Taiwan, but with the "superior" LCD-SO-C2 screen.

Also note that the "paint" on the back of the one from Taiwan (where the 'Made in...', IMEI, etc. are) is much lighter/duller than the one from China. All of the other MT4G's we've had here were made in China, had the superior screen and had a crisper paint for the IMEI, etc. I've seen plenty say the know it's not simply "China vs. Taiwan," just haven't personally seen anyone show they have a phone manufactured in Taiwan, yet with the superior screen.

Anywho, again, I just wanted to document my experience with the good vs. bad.

Also, what are TMO or HTC saying about this? Have either "owned up" to this? Is TMO officially accepting the obvious and documented manufacturing differences?