[Q] LG G2 Straight Talk MMS Issue After Kit Kat Update

Search This thread

DanielMena9

Oct 31, 2010
I had the same problem everyone has mentioned. The reason is that after the KK update you couldn't enter the APN type. It is grayed out. You can enter every other setting on edit access point except APN type. So this is what you have to do.1.Use the LG Flash tool and flash back to the D80010d software. Do not let the phone take the q update. Do this 2..http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2633150 after adding root and the custom recovery do this 3. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2665391 So when you are finished you will be A. On Kit Kat, rooted but without a custom recovery and be able to add the APN type. I know this all sound like a big PITA but it doesn't really take all that long. None of this is anything I thought of. Please give a thanks to all the developers who put in all the hard work
Just figured out you have to set up the APN BEFORE flashing Kit Kat.

Shout out to you for all of this! My end of week will be superb :)

Makman20

May 31, 2012
Texas
I had the same problem everyone has mentioned. The reason is that after the KK update you couldn't enter the APN type. It is grayed out. You can enter every other setting on edit access point except APN type. So this is what you have to do.1.Use the LG Flash tool and flash back to the D80010d software. Do not let the phone take the q update. Do this 2..http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2633150 after adding root and the custom recovery do this 3. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2665391 So when you are finished you will be A. On Kit Kat, rooted but without a custom recovery and be able to add the APN type. I know this all sound like a big PITA but it doesn't really take all that long. None of this is anything I thought of. Please give a thanks to all the developers who put in all the hard work

Sounds like a plan. Hope this works. I'll try later and get back with results

Reactions: shades333

shades333

What should the grayed out APN TYPE read? Mine reads default. After you went through these steps what does it now read?
Thanks

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ScottsoNJ

Feb 26, 2014
Waretown
APN Type

What should the grayed out APN TYPE read? Mine reads default. After you went through these steps what does it now read?
Thanks

When you enter the Straight Talk APN settings,this is the settings for the APN type which for some reason is grayed out after getting the OTA Kit Kat or flashing Kit Kat. So you enter these settings after flashing to ( or back to if you already got the KK update ) D80010d . default,mms,supl. That's the settings that I was instructed to add on 1 of the forums. I'm trying to find it now

Reactions: shades333

Makman20

May 31, 2012
Texas
So when I flash the kitkat rom I don't factory reset the phone right? Otherwise i'll lose the APN settings again?

IT WORKS!!!!:D:D:D:D:D DON"T WIPE.and you'll be fine. Just be sure to add the "default,supl,mms" in the APN TYPE

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

Thanks man!!! 100% working mms thanks to your directions.

Last edited:

dily816

Sep 26, 2013
Net 10 same problem can't send or receive mms

IT WORKS!!!!:D:D:D:D:D DON"T WIPE.and you'll be fine. Just be sure to add the "default,supl,mms" in the APN TYPE

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

Thanks man!!! 100% working mms thanks to your directions.

I fellow the same instruction above it doesn't work on Net10. I talk to one of AT&T tech support he said that they are not going to fix the problems of MMS because the software is for AT&T carrier only not for all other carriers. He said the MMS work fine for AT&T carriers only. I guess I'm out of luck, now I guess can either go back to JB or different AOSP roms to fix this problems.

shades333

I fellow the same instruction above it doesn't work on Net10. I talk to one of AT&T tech support he said that they are not going to fix the problems of MMS because the software is for AT&T carrier only not for all other carriers. He said the MMS work fine for AT&T carriers only. I guess I'm out of luck, now I guess can either go back to JB or different AOSP roms to fix this problems.

You are not factory resetting in recovery first are you? Just wipe cache that's it. Kind of like a dirty flash. Use the same pan settings as worked for you in jelly bean.

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Gotta be honest with you it was a PITA lol. But IT WORKED!!! Key is to definitely dirty flash....you can wipe cache but that's it. Otherwise you will lose your settings. Thanks so much @ScottsoNJ it saved me a lot of grief.

Reactions: dily816

ScottsoNJ

Feb 26, 2014
Waretown
APN

I don't know why yoy can't do this on Net 10? Just find the APN settings you are using on JB,enter them after flashing recovery but before flashing KK and do eveything I posted

You are not factory resetting in recovery first are you? Just wipe cache that's it. Kind of like a dirty flash. Use the same pan settings as worked for you in jelly bean.

No after flashing back to software d than root and install CW or Twrp recovery then just flash KK. No wiping anything
---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Gotta be honest with you it was a PITA lol. But IT WORKED!!! Key is to definitely dirty flash....you can wipe cache but that's it. Otherwise you will lose your settings. Thanks so much@ScottsoNJ it saved me a lot of grief.

Reactions: dily816

dily816

Sep 26, 2013
Net10 mms work now but cloud print don't work now

Gotta be honest with you it was a PITA lol. But IT WORKED!!! Key is to definitely dirty flash....you can wipe cache but that's it. Otherwise you will lose your settings. Thanks so much @ScottsoNJ it saved me a lot of grief.

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app[/

Now I have clean install my MMS work perfectly, but now the CLOUD PRINT DON'T WORK. THANKS EVERYBODY FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

Gulfcoastowl

Mar 17, 2012
Ridgefield Park
issue resolved

I have the same issue, I am on AT&T. Cannot send or receive pictures through standard texting which was working good before kitkat update

AT&T customer representative did solve the issue. She changed the service number and she told me she changed some provisional settings on her end...Finally it worked. I am now able to send and receive picture messages.

mike2959

Dec 16, 2013
No need to do all that guys....

I got my LG G2 D800 MMS fixed by doing this. First my phone is SIM card unlocked. I took the straight talk card out, rebooted the phone. Went into APN settings and there was no apn's stored. Put the sim back in rebooted the phone, went back into apn settings and there was the normal Att settings along with 5 straight talk apn's.. This was automatic. Choose the the ST apn that has apn information loaded in it. It's still greyed out but it has all the correct information.

dily816

Sep 26, 2013
It didn't work

I got my LG G2 D800 MMS fixed by doing this. First my phone is SIM card unlocked. I took the straight talk card out, rebooted the phone. Went into APN settings and there was no apn's stored. Put the sim back in rebooted the phone, went back into apn settings and there was the normal Att settings along with 5 straight talk apn's.. This was automatic. Choose the the ST apn that has apn information loaded in it. It's still greyed out but it has all the correct information.[/QU

Are you sure you on AT&T KITKAT UPDATE NOT CUSTOM ROM, because it didn't work at all on my LG G2 D800 on orignal update AT&T KITKAT.

mike2959

Dec 16, 2013
Did again and it worked

Like I said, stock 4.4.2, D800 Sim unlocked. Pull out ST Sim, reboot phone without no Sim, there should be no apns, put St Sim back in phone then reboot, go back into apns the phone will automatically load various apns look for one of the straight talks with the apn type filled in.

mike2959

Dec 16, 2013
Here's my APN

Here's the screen shots

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-08-11-49-00.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-08-11-49-00.png
    171.4 KB · Views: 1,238
  • Screenshot_2014-03-08-11-49-28.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-08-11-49-28.png
    147.7 KB · Views: 1,213
  • Screenshot_2014-03-08-11-49-12.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-08-11-49-12.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 1,131

ctowne

Feb 1, 2012
Hampton, NH
Like I said, stock 4.4.2, D800 Sim unlocked. Pull out ST Sim, reboot phone without no Sim, there should be no apns, put St Sim back in phone then reboot, go back into apns the phone will automatically load various apns look for one of the straight talks with the apn type filled in.

I got my LG G2 D800 MMS fixed by doing this. First my phone is SIM card unlocked. I took the straight talk card out, rebooted the phone. Went into APN settings and there was no apn's stored. Put the sim back in rebooted the phone, went back into apn settings and there was the normal Att settings along with 5 straight talk apn's.. This was automatic. Choose the the ST apn that has apn information loaded in it. It's still greyed out but it has all the correct information.

Didn't work with mine. Mine is also SIM unlocked d800 on stock 4.4.2.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SOLUTION!!!

I finally found a solution for phones that cannot receive or send MMS messages on StraightTalk LG G2 after the kitkat update. Usually, the symptoms are indicated by the APN type being grayed out and stuck on "default". Ive tried many solutions including calling StraightTalk, replacing sims and trying different APNs to no avail. Finally, discoverered this last night...

What you first need to do is download APNsBU from the Play Store. Install, open, and click Backup APNs. Next get SQ Lite Editor from the app store, and run it. Go to Sdcard directory on the editor, then to .APNsBU, select myAPNs_Backup.db. Now click on carriers. You will see straighttalk listed as one of your apns. Slide to the right and edit the APN type for the Straightalk apn and put in the following "default,mms,supl,hipri,fota". Close out the program, go back to APNsBU and click on restore APNs. Now, restart your phone and you will note this has overrided the previous "default" type APN that was grayed out. You will now be able to send and receive MMS messages after the Kitkat update without factory resetting your phone and wiping data.

Enjoy!
    Straight Talk mms

You do not need to downgrade to 4.2.2 to fix this issue but you do need to be rooted. Download SQ Lite Editor from the Play store. Open the path /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases and click on the telephony.db file. That will open up a table that has all of the hidden and visible APNs that can be edited very easily, including the APN Type, which is disabled in the 4.4.2 phone menu. However, while you are editing in the table, the Auth Type needs to be changed to "0", if it's not already. I was having the same problem that everyone else is having and this fixed it. After you have saved your changes in SQ Lite Editor and closed the app, you'll need to toggle back and forth between the stock ATT APN and your Straight Talk APN and also reboot your phone. It took a few minutes for it to do its thing on my phone but my MMS service has returned NO THANKS to Straight Talk, got a ton of crap from them and no help. Just as an FYI, set the APN Type to be the same as the ATT stock APN type.
    Thanks a lot

I finally found a solution for phones that cannot receive or send MMS messages on StraightTalk LG G2 after the kitkat update. Usually, the symptoms are indicated by the APN type being grayed out and stuck on "default". Ive tried many solutions including calling StraightTalk, replacing sims and trying different APNs to no avail. Finally, discoverered this last night...

What you first need to do is download APNsBU from the Play Store. Install, open, and click Backup APNs. Next get SQ Lite Editor from the app store, and run it. Go to Sdcard directory on the editor, then to .APNsBU, select myAPNs_Backup.db. Now click on carriers. You will see straighttalk listed as one of your apns. Slide to the right and edit the APN type for the Straightalk apn and put in the following "default,mms,supl,hipri,fota". Close out the program, go back to APNsBU and click on restore APNs. Now, restart your phone and you will note this has overrided the previous "default" type APN that was grayed out. You will now be able to send and receive MMS messages after the Kitkat update without factory resetting your phone and wiping data.

Enjoy!

Thank you so much you had relieved a lot of stress off of my mind....thanks again.
    I've tried hangouts, evolve, & textra. Even tried changing textra's mms settings. Also managed to get root. Thought if i could delete the att apn, it might help. Managed to delete but still nothing

I did some poking around in the the hidden menus that the launcher pro activities widget exploit opens up on the D800. But unfortunately I didn't mess with to much for fear of really messing something up. Hopefully the service ticket through at&t tech will yield some results.