[Q] T-Mobile S2 T989 - hardbricked / can jtag fix it?

Search This thread

Dostoevsky

Oct 31, 2012
I received an SGH-T989 that wouldn't boot. It had TWRP on it, so I was able to flash latest stable CWM. Upon reboot, it apparently became hard-bricked.

Currently, I'm unable to enter download or recovery modes. USB Jig does not work. There is no output on the screen, even when charging the battery. When connected in Windows (32 or 64), I get a usb error message: "This device is disabled because the firmware of the device did not give it the required resources. (Code 29)"

My question: Is the motherboard dead, or could a jtag repair fix it?

What I've tried:
  • multiple micro usb cables
  • usb jig
  • odin
  • keis
  • heimdall

Thanks xda!

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle
I received an SGH-T989 that wouldn't boot. It had TWRP on it, so I was able to flash latest stable CWM. Upon reboot, it apparently became hard-bricked.

Currently, I'm unable to enter download or recovery modes. USB Jig does not work. There is no output on the screen, even when charging the battery. When connected in Windows (32 or 64), I get a usb error message: "This device is disabled because the firmware of the device did not give it the required resources. (Code 29)"

My question: Is the motherboard dead, or could a jtag repair fix it?

What I've tried:
  • multiple micro usb cables
  • usb jig
  • odin
  • keis
  • heimdall

Thanks xda!

so the qhsusb_dload does not apear when your device is plugged into the computer? if so please hold on a little longer, somebody found a method of unhard bricking S3's and eventually Note 3's and the galaxy megas and im getting closer to being able to do this aswell im going to try to fix mine when i get home so hold on :)

Dostoevsky

Oct 31, 2012
so the qhsusb_dload does not apear when your device is plugged into the computer? if so please hold on a little longer, somebody found a method of unhard bricking S3's and eventually Note 3's and the galaxy megas and im getting closer to being able to do this aswell im going to try to fix mine when i get home so hold on :)

That would be great! I did see the S3 fix that loads a debrick.img from sdcard - would that work with hardbricked? Windows wouldn't load the usb drive for my phone, complaining that the firmware didn't give the "required resources". So if the firmware is borked, I'm not sure it would be able to load an external img.

I couldn't wait, though. Sent it out for jtag repair :fingers-crossed:

Last edited:

sirsmokey

Nov 4, 2011
Toronto
That would be great! I did see the S3 fix that loads a debrick.img from sdcard - would that work with hardbricked? Windows wouldn't load the usb drive for my phone, complaining that the firmware didn't give the "required resources". So if the firmware is borked, I'm not sure it would be able to load an external img.

Hello I was wondering if the Jtag did its job?

sirsmokey

Nov 4, 2011
Toronto

Jtag should always do the job, unless there was physical damage done to the motherboard.

Thanks for the quick reply , i guess the next question i should ask , is it really worth the 100 bux for the j tag service or to put the money towards a newer phone ?,hmmm rhetorical i guess :rolleyes:

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle
Thanks for the quick reply , i guess the next question i should ask , is it really worth the 100 bux for the j tag service or to put the money towards a newer phone ?,hmmm rhetorical i guess :rolleyes:

The t989 has great specs, only downside is its PPI (really low) if you still love it, I would wait if you want to send it into JTAG repairs, we are on the verge of unbricking our t989 without JTAG! Looks like we need someone with a working t989D though

sirsmokey

Nov 4, 2011
Toronto
I have been studying the other 'unbrick' methods, its definatly mind expanding, the amount of knowledge absorbed can seriously make you forget time n space.

If there is anything I can do / contribute holler at me.

Now ill tell you something weird so I flashed a rom not meant for T989D plus I did it all without being rooted. (if it matters) since Since the flash the phone doesn't boot into recovery or show a bootanimation, just darkness.Yet it felt operational in hand.

Once I plugged it back into the PC all I got was a constant notification of drivers that cannot be identified Also it keeps connecting and disconnecting the device.

None of this is weird until I installed OMAP flash and the T.I. drivers for which was used to fix my friends nexus. After he left I plugged my s2 to the PC still nothing. I looked away for a brief moment . Then i noticed MobileGo for Android popped on screen. Visually showing my s2 as an Alcatel rom.

just bizzare.....

sirsmokey

Nov 4, 2011
Toronto
The unbrick method on the S2 is a little different, but in General, at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2646310 after a little work, I resurrected a QHSUSB_DLOAD 9025 T989D to the point of ODIN and fully working Android OS working, just missing recovery.. Soon to follow in a day or so. :)

:good:Dude I could kiss you, thank you so much!!!! that is exactly where my phone was (QHSUSB_DLOAD):good:
Thanks to the devs behind the unbrick , all of your hard work is deeply appreciated, One Luv :laugh:
Now my 989 is working again, ive had it stuck for the past half year. Life saver you are sir :D

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle
:good:Dude I could kiss you, thank you so much!!!! that is exactly where my phone was (QHSUSB_DLOAD):good:
Thanks to the devs behind the unbrick , all of your hard work is deeply appreciated, One Luv :laugh:
Now my 989 is working again, ive had it stuck for the past half year. Life saver you are sir :D

glad to hear its working again! might i ask how you went about this?

The unbrick method on the S2 is a little different, but in General, at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2646310 after a little work, I resurrected a QHSUSB_DLOAD 9025 T989D to the point of ODIN and fully working Android OS working, just missing recovery.. Soon to follow in a day or so. :)

Hi, so I also have a hard bricked t989 galaxy s2 (tmobile variant) and I'm attempting to understand the instructions. However my phone has another issue...usb connection to the computer does not work, it hasn't worked since the micro usb port on the phone was replaced because the old one broke. So really the phone could charge but never connect to my pc as it cant be detected...so what are my options? If i create the sd card with the image, will i still need to connect it to a pc in order to force the phone into download mode? Please help...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.