[Q] Using 4g in UK with Asian Desire 816

Search This thread

D179

Jun 25, 2014
I am a old hand on the Android system but incredible new to rooting and flashing so please bare with me on this.

I have bought a HTC Desire 816 Dual Sim which shipped from Dubai but is set for Vietnam according to HTC. The phone on all parts works fine apart from I can't use the UK 4g network. I have used the code *#*#4636#*#* to look at phone info and the option is there for lte but still only getting 3G

I am looking to Root the phone and install a custom rom/stock UK rom but will this let me access the UK 4g network?

According to HTC and seller the phone can do the right bands in the uk but how or if I can is beyond me.

Thank you in advance to anyone who is willing to help :D

Last edited:

D179

Jun 25, 2014
Dual SIM. Sorry should of said in post.

Sent from my HTC Desire 816 dual sim using XDA Free mobile app

bhanuteja200bc

Feb 1, 2013
So.. You think its possible to have lte working on the dual sim variant.... Hmmmm.... If it works just update here... It would be a great thing to know

Sent from my SM-T320 using XDA Free mobile app

vbrsekhar

Nov 25, 2008
Wellington
I am a old hand on the Android system but incredible new to rooting and flashing so please bare with me on this.

I have bought a HTC Desire 816 Dual Sim which shipped from Dubai but is set for Vietnam according to HTC. The phone on all parts works fine apart from I can't use the UK 4g network. I have used the code *#*#4636#*#* to look at phone info and the option is there for lte but still only getting 3G

I am looking to Root the phone and install a custom rom/stock UK rom but will this let me access the UK 4g network?

According to HTC and seller the phone can do the right bands in the uk but how or if I can is beyond me.

Dear D179, you did indeed mention in the first post that your phone is dual sim model. As a thumb rule, no dual sim mobiles are 4G capable so far. You could only get 3G or H+ speeds on the first sim and only 2G or G on the second sim. May be in the future dual sim mobiles could be 4G capable.

Also, rooting and unlocking does not help you at all to get the 4G capability as it should have a radio that should be 4G compatible in your mobile phone, but all dual sim mobiles are only 3G capable radios.

You might find a custom rom for the single sim version of HTC 816 desire mobile (EU or UAE models), and after installing you can see that your network is getting 4G speeds, but it is all not real. Just the icon will say 4G but indeed you get the 3G speed only. Most of all, the custom single sim rom does not work properly on the dual sim model.

Last edited:
Reactions: spatone and D179

D179

Jun 25, 2014
I can't really thank you enough for your response.

What confused me as to it's capabilities was because there are many sellers on the internet saying that they are selling 4G enabled dual sim Desire 816's but when I delved deeper in to specs after reading your post, the reputable companies did not show the phone going beyond WCDMA H+.

It is strange however that on the phones secret menu that it shows the LTE option? Is this because the setup is same as single sim but dual is missing something?

Screenshot_2014-06-26-07-47-30.png

Screenshot_2014-06-26-07-47-37.png

jithumon

Mar 6, 2013
New Delhi

What confused me as to it's capabilities was because there are many sellers on the internet saying that they are selling 4G enabled dual sim Desire 816's but when I delved deeper in to specs after reading your post, the reputable companies did not show the phone going beyond WCDMA H+.

It is strange however that on the phones secret menu that it shows the LTE option? Is this because the setup is same as single sim but dual is missing something?

View attachment 2818143

View attachment 2818144
But can't select LTE only from there.

Reactions: spatone and D179

D179

Jun 25, 2014

Never thought to try just LTE option and your right, won't let me select.

Well still going to root this phone but I feel happier that I can put the 4G to bed and forget about that now.

Thanks everyone for all your assisstance. :victory:

vbrsekhar

Nov 25, 2008
Wellington
I live in the 4G enabled network area, but I never I got the speeds greater than H+. Very rarely it touched 3G and occasionally it shows just the H speeds too. I have downgraded from Xperia Z to this one only for its dual SIM ability, but still enjoying some of its features. Only the single SIM versions in this model are 4G capable.

As you guessed, the settings menu and infact many other menu features are same between the single and dual SIM mobiles. The appropriate fields of the mobiles will get highlighted and rest will be just dummies or greyed out.

Rooting is the best thing in Android. Enjoy your mobile after rooting installing ad away or ad free to get rid of annoying adverts in some apps. Enjoy the xposed app as well which unlocks the endless tweaking opportunities I your phone.

Sent from my HTC Desire 816 dual sim using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Dear D179, you did indeed mention in the first post that your phone is dual sim model. As a thumb rule, no dual sim mobiles are 4G capable so far. You could only get 3G or H+ speeds on the first sim and only 2G or G on the second sim. May be in the future dual sim mobiles could be 4G capable.

Also, rooting and unlocking does not help you at all to get the 4G capability as it should have a radio that should be 4G compatible in your mobile phone, but all dual sim mobiles are only 3G capable radios.

You might find a custom rom for the single sim version of HTC 816 desire mobile (EU or UAE models), and after installing you can see that your network is getting 4G speeds, but it is all not real. Just the icon will say 4G but indeed you get the 3G speed only. Most of all, the custom single sim rom does not work properly on the dual sim model.

View attachment 2818143

View attachment 2818144
    Sent from my SM-T320 using XDA Free mobile app

Is ur phone dual sim or single sim...