[GUIDE] How to root your ZTE Android device

Search This thread

wbaw

This method doesn't rely on any root exploits & will work with any Android version on the ZTE Blade (and all variants). It should work on any phone with an unlocked bootloader (all zte android devices are sold with unlocked bootloaders).

Software needed:

adb (windows/linux/mac versions available as part of the android sdk - http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html You will find adb in the tools directory.)
fastboot (windows/linux/mac versions available here: http://koushikdutta.blurryfox.com/G1/ )
windows drivers for the phone (if you use windows: http://support.zte.com.cn/support/news/NewsDetail.aspx?newsId=1000442 )
ClockworkMod (http://clockworkmod.com/rommanager - download zte blade clockwork recovery image)
SuperUser ( http://androidsu.com/superuser/ Download Eclair/Froyo/Gingerbread/Honeycomb (2.1 – 3.2) version) - Alternatively you can use any rooted custom rom
If your phone is running Android 2.1, then it is probably a 'gen1' device, search for "Mr Pigfish" on Android market if you're unsure. Gen1 blades will need an older version of clockworkmod, 3.0.1.4 - http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-3.0.1.4-blade.img

Method:

Download/install adb & fastboot. Install drivers for the phone if needed (on Windows).

Plug your phone into your pc using the usb cable, mount usb storage, then copy the Superuser or custom rom zip onto it & unmount usb storage.

Make sure that usb debugging is enabled on your phone, there should be an icon in the status bar, you can enable it in settings (settings -> applications -> development -> usb debugging).

Open a command terminal window & change to the directory that you downloaded recovery-clockwork-[version]-blade.img to. Type...
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
This will make the phone reboot, wait for the android logo (or custom splash screen) on the phone then type...
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-blade.img
fastboot reboot

You have just installed ClockworkMod recovery. Your phone will reboot back into android, when it has done that turn it off, then turn it on with the vol- button held to start clockworkmod. Use vol+/- to navigate, home button to select an option, back button to go back. You should create a backup now before you flash anything, when that backup is complete use 'install zip from sdcard' to either install superuser to root your stock rom, or install a custom rom. If you're installing a custom rom then you'll need to wipe data/factory reset too (you will lose all data). reboot, you're done.

Last edited:

wbaw

I'm not sure if this is the right section for the thread, it'd probably be better in blade general. I forgot that newbies can't reply here.

Anyway, for those that can reply, can you suggest any improvements? I'll find links for adb, fastboot & windows drivers later.

Firya

Nov 30, 2009
Everything is clear except where to find adb and fastboot for noob users... (like me).

I did a little search and found out that adb is installed with the Android SDK... so, i installed it, installed the android platform-tools package, the usb driver but i am stuck with fastboot...

There is no fastboot in the Android SDK installation directory... and i can't find it on the web... so, i can't install clockworkmod recovery and i'm stuck... ;)

Can u help me plz ?

wbaw

Yeah, as I said, I'm still looking for links. you get fastboot when you compile android from source, but that is a bit of a long & complicated way.

Here is a pre-compiled version of fastboot for windows, linux & macos http://koushikdutta.blurryfox.com/G1/

adb works without the sdk too, I'll see if I can find links for that.

The windows driver is on zte's site somewhere, but that's a pain to find anything on. I'm not sure if the Google driver works. I don't even run windows, so if anybody can help write that part...

Reactions: JayPlay513

unrandomsam

Apr 20, 2011
Probably best to for XP use the exe driver installer (Thats in the pcsuite.iso in the official 2.3.5 rom)
Windows 7 just works (gets drivers from windows update).

Does the superboot apk deal with changing default.prop (to allow adb remount etc).

If not could do that (use the same thing the CM7 universal converter uses to split the boot.img).

wbaw

Probably best to for XP use the exe driver installer (Thats in the pcsuite.iso in the official 2.3.5 rom)
Windows 7 just works (gets drivers from windows update).

Not everybody is running the official 2.3.5 rom, it's probably a tiny fraction of users. 2.1 roms don't have the driver iso. I found the drivers & updated the first post. The drivers on the phone should work fine, if you are running an unmodified 2.2 or 2.3 stock rom, just plug the phone in & it should mount a driver cd image over usb to install the drivers.

Does the superboot apk deal with changing default.prop (to allow adb remount etc).

It's superuser, it's a clockworkmod zip file & no, it doesn't change default.prop. It installs superuser & su.

If not could do that (use the same thing the CM7 universal converter uses to split the boot.img).

Tell ChainsDD, it isn't my software, I just wrote a quick idiot's guide.

Last edited:

irishpancake

May 1, 2011
Small Village
Hi wbaw....

nice to see you posting helpful stuff here....:)

Can I ask what is perhaps a silly question, about the rooting process for ZTE devices, without relying on root exploits?

How is this different, or better, than using the z4Root modified by kallt_kaffe App, which I have linked (MoDaCo).

Is it just the use of the exploit, or is there another reason?

I have used it on my OSF/Blade, and never lost root or had any other problem, AFAIK.

Also, I see you are not showing your previous GEN1/Gen2 all-in-one TPT for GSF any more...is it available any more for ppl who may want to try it?

Thanks in advance

wbaw

The exploit that z4root uses doesn't work on newer versions of Android (2.2.2 & above), ZTE are selling some phones with these newer versions of Android.

If z4root works for you, then that's fine, there's nothing wrong with it. It just doesn't work for everybody.

If you are using a version of Android that z4root (or other root exploits) do work on, then you should update Android asap. Otherwise a malicious app could use the same exploit to take over your phone. Root exploits themselves aren't bad (as long as you're doing it to your own device, or with permission of the owner) - the fact that root exploits work is bad & a sign that you need to update the software asap.

GSF has it's own thread. You can get the same effect by using the gen1 to gen2 tpt & then installing gsf. It is buggy & old, I think there is a nasty remote root exploit out there for 2.3.4 too. Just use CyanogenMod, it's much better, less buggy, more secure, they keep up with the latest Android fixes & it has more customisation options.

Last edited:
Reactions: irishpancake

irishpancake

May 1, 2011
Small Village
Thank you for the explanation...I will go ahead and do what you have advised.

I am just continuing to use good old Swedish Spring RLS5, which I think was kallt_kaffe (Cold Coffee) also......GEN 2 thanks to your Gen 1>Gen 2 TPT.

I think t is 2.2.

If I want to proceed to permanently root as you describe, should I use z4root to unroot first?

I will probably move to CyanogenMod, so I should use your exploit-free root instructions first.

BTW, I will be sad to move on from SS, as it does seem to be as near a perfect fit as I have found for the Blade.

I did put on GSF ,some time ago, and to be very honest, I just lasted a night with it, then restored the SS Nandroid.......it didn't feel at all as satisfactory a UI experience as SS.

Perhaps it was me, you know, you get used to an old pair of sneakers, etc. :)

As you said, it was and is always beta...it was an early version!!!

Thanks again, and keep up the good work in these calm(er) waters ;)

wbaw

Custom roms are already rooted. You don't need to root a custom rom, you just install it with clockworkmod.

If you already have a custom rom installed then you don't need any of this guide, you've already got clockworkmod. All this guide does is tell you how to install clockworkmod.

This is for people with phones on a stock rom who want to be able to install clockworkmod to root their stock rom or install a custom rom.

You shouldn't still be using Android 2.2 because the root exploit in z4root works on it, therefore other more malicious apps could use a similar exploit without asking you first.

Last edited:

irishpancake

May 1, 2011
Small Village
Hi..... does this work on any Android phone?

I have in mind the new Samsung W i 8150.

Getting one for Xmas.... AFAIK

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk

stanangel

Aug 14, 2011
Hi!I have a Zte Blade with 2.3.5 OS. I tried to root my phone using this tutorial, but when i write : "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-blade.img" in Comand Prompt program, i get this message : "error: cannot load : recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-blade.img".
Can anyone help me, please?
Thanks!

wbaw

Hi!I have a Zte Blade with 2.3.5 OS. I tried to root my phone using this tutorial, but when i write : "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-blade.img" in Comand Prompt program, i get this message : "error: cannot load : recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-blade.img".
Can anyone help me, please?
Thanks!

You need to download clockwork recovery & be in the directory that you downloaded it to, to run that command.

Reactions: stanangel

stanangel

Aug 14, 2011
Thank you!It works. Now, can I put Cyanogenmod 7.1 on 2.3.5 OS with this root and clocworckmod ?

stanangel

Aug 14, 2011
Well, first time i had 2.1 update-1.After that I updated the version to 2.2 Boygues (or something like this) and then i found on this forum the official image.bin (2.3.5) and I decided to update.But now, i want to try CM.

wbaw

Well, first time i had 2.1 update-1.After that I updated the version to 2.2 Boygues (or something like this) and then i found on this forum the official image.bin (2.3.5) and I decided to update.But now, i want to try CM.

I see, you'll need to use another image.bin to go back to 'gen2' - the zte froyo radio firmware. Otherwise you wont get any phone signal, 3g or gps on CM7 because the 2.3.5 image.bin that you installed contained new radio firmware.

You don't need to root it first, you can install clockworkmod with a gen2 radio firmware using a custom image.bin like this one that http://www.mediafire.com/?jb4crw3em2m4r4x Amphoras made.

The 2.3.5 image.bin contained another new version of the radio firmware, which isn't compatible with CM7.

tcmixx

Nov 20, 2010
Hey I cant acess adb after doing adb reboot bootloader. When I come to the chinese letter I cant do nothing. So i cant fastboot flash recovery recovery-xxx.img.

What im i doing wrong?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This method doesn't rely on any root exploits & will work with any Android version on the ZTE Blade (and all variants). It should work on any phone with an unlocked bootloader (all zte android devices are sold with unlocked bootloaders).

Software needed:

adb (windows/linux/mac versions available as part of the android sdk - http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html You will find adb in the tools directory.)
    fastboot (windows/linux/mac versions available here: http://koushikdutta.blurryfox.com/G1/ )
    windows drivers for the phone (if you use windows: http://support.zte.com.cn/support/news/NewsDetail.aspx?newsId=1000442 )
    ClockworkMod (http://clockworkmod.com/rommanager - download zte blade clockwork recovery image)
    SuperUser ( http://androidsu.com/superuser/ Download Eclair/Froyo/Gingerbread/Honeycomb (2.1 – 3.2) version) - Alternatively you can use any rooted custom rom
    If your phone is running Android 2.1, then it is probably a 'gen1' device, search for "Mr Pigfish" on Android market if you're unsure. Gen1 blades will need an older version of clockworkmod, 3.0.1.4 - http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-3.0.1.4-blade.img

Method:

Download/install adb & fastboot. Install drivers for the phone if needed (on Windows).

Plug your phone into your pc using the usb cable, mount usb storage, then copy the Superuser or custom rom zip onto it & unmount usb storage.

Make sure that usb debugging is enabled on your phone, there should be an icon in the status bar, you can enable it in settings (settings -> applications -> development -> usb debugging).

Open a command terminal window & change to the directory that you downloaded recovery-clockwork-[version]-blade.img to. Type...
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    This will make the phone reboot, wait for the android logo (or custom splash screen) on the phone then type...
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-blade.img
    fastboot reboot

You have just installed ClockworkMod recovery. Your phone will reboot back into android, when it has done that turn it off, then turn it on with the vol- button held to start clockworkmod. Use vol+/- to navigate, home button to select an option, back button to go back. You should create a backup now before you flash anything, when that backup is complete use 'install zip from sdcard' to either install superuser to root your stock rom, or install a custom rom. If you're installing a custom rom then you'll need to wipe data/factory reset too (you will lose all data). reboot, you're done.
    Can ZTE Blade V6 be rooted with this method?
    Zte blade v7

Hello! Sorry to ask... but this method is working also for the new generation of Blade?? i ve just bought a new ZTE BLADE V7,, do you know something about this model?
    Custom roms are already rooted. You don't need to root a custom rom, you just install it with clockworkmod.

If you already have a custom rom installed then you don't need any of this guide, you've already got clockworkmod. All this guide does is tell you how to install clockworkmod.

This is for people with phones on a stock rom who want to be able to install clockworkmod to root their stock rom or install a custom rom.

You shouldn't still be using Android 2.2 because the root exploit in z4root works on it, therefore other more malicious apps could use a similar exploit without asking you first.
    Is there a way to unlock the bootloader of the ZTE Nubia Z60 Ultra?