Islamabad
Did you enter a wrong command? The instructions you refer tells me to enter:
fdisk /dev/mmc/blk0/disc
yeah i did exactly like that! and it gives me this error:
Code:
Cannot open /dev/mmc/blk0/disc
I am using SanDisk SD card 256 MB

You mean Qtopia?
Qtopia has an installer like Openmoko has.
Read http://www.linuxtogo.org/~htcpxa/htcuniversal/images/Qtopia/README

I need this one: http://opie.handhelds.org/gallery/main.php/v/opie12/console.png.html

is this opie 1.2 or Opie II ??
i need desktop like environment like i see in this screenshot

i need the same runtime as qtopia did (i ran it successfully but it is much like OPENMOKO and i like win mobile more than that kinda environment :( )

plz help how can i first get my card partitioned??:eek:

dying to run linux on my uni (though i need unique desktop environment):rolleyes:

Edit:

i got opie 1.2 running by just renaming the opie bz2 file with qtopia one

rite now it is copying from tarball to imgfs file :) hope i get it working now

Last edited:

debian-on-uni

Jan 30, 2008
own kernel booting

Posted by me
I have the same problem. But it looks better than your boot.
I place everything on vfat partition: Haret5.1, zImage and default.txt.
default.txt looks like:

set KERNEL "zImage"
set CMDLINE "root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 console=tty0 mem=64M rootdelay=5"
boot2

It seems to be a normal boot but xwindows won't show up, but errors.
Maybe someone can help?

I tried it with gpe on 2nd partition and it worked!
I think for getting opie working we must somehow rotate the screen.
Greets

aes512

Dec 25, 2007
Seattle
The Universal Wiki and Status pages should be updated to correctly reflect that the WLAN is "Work In Progress", as opposed to just "Working", since the acx card does not function properly with the current drivers.

datathief

Mar 14, 2008
wiki.neilandtheresa.co.uk
Re. battery life

I let my universal running last evening over the night and this morning the battery meter hadent even dropped.

So now, we are even closer :) ....

Is this change in the 2.6.21-hh20 kernel? I've installed the kernel from http://www.linuxtogo.org/~htcpxa/htcuniversal/images/Qtopia/ and my battery level is dropping 10% every hour on standby, even with AT+CFUN=0.

Update: I built a kernel from handhelds.org CVS, and it has the same problem.

Resolved: Forced the wifi module to power down (modprobe htcuniversal_acx; modprobe acx; rmmod acx).

Last edited:

datathief

Mar 14, 2008
Sluggish keyboard after suspend

Is anyone working on the sluggish-keyboard-after-suspend problem? With the battery life fixed, it's my only remaining issue.

It's more usable if I turn the key autorepeat off, but it's impossible to type quickly. The mainline pxa27x_keypad.c doesn't seem to be any better.

goxboxlive

Oct 24, 2005
Oslo
Is this change in the 2.6.21-hh20 kernel? I've installed the kernel from http://www.linuxtogo.org/~htcpxa/htcuniversal/images/Qtopia/ and my battery level is dropping 10% every hour on standby, even with AT+CFUN=0.

Update: I built a kernel from handhelds.org CVS, and it has the same problem.

Resolved: Forced the wifi module to power down (modprobe htcuniversal_acx; modprobe acx; rmmod acx).

Thats right, there are major leak in the htcuniversal_acx driver. It is fixed but not pulled mainstream yet.

nontrivial

Mar 16, 2008
Thank You

I wanted to say thanks to goxboxlive for all your hard work. I am currently a Sharp Zaurus (C1000) user and I bought a T-Mobile MDA Pro in hopes of having to use one less device. Unfortunately after getting OpenMoko and QTopia running on my MDA Pro (1Gig SD card good, 2Gig SD card bad) I have to say that it isn't quite there yet. But I know it will get there eventually because there are some good people working on it, and the MDA Pro (AKA HTC Universal) is some damn fine hardware.

Anyway, besides saying thanks I wanted to ask what the best way to be notified when you release a new image? I am not a linux newbie and I would be happy to help test new versions.

James
T-Mobile USA

datathief

Mar 14, 2008
Re: Sluggish keyboard after suspend

The sluggish keyboard problem is caused by the KPKDI (key debounce) register getting reset to the default 100ms when the machine is suspended. WM must set it to a lower value.

If the keyboard is annoying anyone else, grab devmem2 from http://wiki.neilandtheresa.co.uk/Titchy_Linux?action=AttachFile and run:

devmem2 0x41500048 byte 0x20

Caution: devmem2 writes directly to RAM, and can break stuff.

I'd like to patch the kernel, but I'm having some problems with the handhelds.org CVS source (/dev/ttyS0 doesn't work - am I doing something wrong?). goxboxlive: would you be able to share your kernel source?

Last edited:

cr2

Jan 15, 2005
The sluggish keyboard problem is caused by the KPKDI (key debounce) register getting reset to the default 100ms when the machine is suspended.
Hmm. i'll check the wince value. We need to modify the pxa27x_keyboard driver to support
DKIN anyway.

I'd like to patch the kernel, but I'm having some problems with the handhelds.org CVS source (/dev/ttyS0 doesn't work - am I doing something wrong?).

Look at the 'dmesg' output after trying 'cat /dev/ttyS0'. If you'd like to patch something,
post the patch here, or use #htc-linux at freenode.

datathief

Mar 14, 2008
Re: Sluggish keyboard after suspend

Hmm. i'll check the wince value. We need to modify the pxa27x_keyboard driver to support
DKIN anyway.

The value set by WM is 0x20 (32 milliseconds).

Look at the 'dmesg' output after trying 'cat /dev/ttyS0'. If you'd like to patch something,
post the patch here, or use #htc-linux at freenode.

I'll check dmesg tonight. Using devmem2 is fine for now, and I don't have any other reason to build my own kernel at the moment.

Code:
--- pxa27x_keyboard.c.orig
+++ pxa27x_keyboard.c
@@ -92,6 +92,8 @@ init_kpc(struct platform_device *dev)
        kpc |= KPC_MIE;         /* matrix keypad interrupt enabled */

KPC = kpc;
+
+       KPKDI = 0x20;           /* keypad debounce interval (32ms) */
 }

domi007

Feb 21, 2008
Budapest
NON-WWE support?

Hi EB!
I've a simple question:
I read in the Readme from the openmoko .cab file, that this cab file is only for WWE devices.
Is it an old readme, or it is true, and I have to change my original WM5 GERMAN ROM to a WWE ROM?
PLeasE answer me, I want to keep my original ROM!
THX!
DOMy

domi007

Feb 21, 2008
Budapest
Hi EB!
I've a simple question:
I read in the Readme from the openmoko .cab file, that this cab file is only for WWE devices.
Is it an old readme, or it is true, and I have to change my original WM5 GERMAN ROM to a WWE ROM?
PLeasE answer me, I want to keep my original ROM!
THX!
DOMy

I solved it:
With WinCE CAB MANAGER I edited the English path (Program Files) to the German one (Programme).
It is fully functional.

DOMy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    die-hard said:
    goxboxlive said:
    die-hard said:
    hi all i try to install linux on my sd (A-Data 4Gb)
    i make 3 partitions
    1. vfat (in that partition i make linux folder and 2577 folder) 30M
    2. ext3 (in that partition i put kernel, startup, initrd etc) 1000M
    3. fat32 make with fdisk.

when i start linux kernel don't work

1. In the vfat partition you place the files: haret.exe, default.txt (startup.txt ) and the zi ( the linux boot kernel ).
    2. In the ext3 partition you have to extract the opie-image to the root of the partition.
    3. i dont know, just forget about it for now.
    i use 3 partition for windows application and file

Yes i understand that, but does it work now? Can you boot Linux on your Universal?
    Beware og that you need to have the kernel, startup and haret on the fat partition and not at the ext3 partition. And try to make the ext3 partition smaller than 1GB.
    I am using all this on a 128MB sd card. 30 MB for fat, and the rest for ext3.
    ftp.xda-developers.com/Uploads/Universal/Universal LINUX Dev

Has anyone looked into the following folder:
    ftp.xda-developers.com/Uploads/Universal/Universal LINUX Development

I tested the rar password and it's ok.
    rar pwd:
    PU10 Intel PXA270 QTEK 9000
    Where can i download the latest files for trying to boot linux and testing gpe and opie?
    CR2 or Milanvot can one of you upload the requierd files so i can test it?
    vve said:
    madkat said:
    Can the root user be renamed...
    I think this is a funniest post in this forum :). Nobody in my life have ever asked me for this.
    Now, here's a new market - below are things we could make money from:
    1. Change superuser's name from "root" to "Administrator" - $20.
    2. Change superuser's name from "root" to anything you like - $50.

WTF? I wasn't asking someone else to do it for me.
    I was asking because I don't know much about Linux - but I have renamed the Administrator account in my WinXP Pro to something else to make the machine more secure. I don't think I've seen a Linux or Unix box with a superuser with a name other than "root" - so I decided to ask, rather than making any assumption that making the change would be impossible. Obviously if this Linux were sent out in an easy-to-install form, questions to the end user would be very brief and most would opt to enter no root password at all. That leaves you with machines all over the place with a superuser called "root" and either no password or a very simple password like "123" or "password". I don't know about you, but that strikes me as a very bad idea. Setting a default password is out of the question, and having a "strong password check" will only serve to frustrate people.
    madkat said:
    I have Haret, zi061203, default.txt
    I don't know how to configure default.txt to boot the kernel without mounting a root. It seems to automatically look for /dev/mmc/blk0/something and then complains if there is no "root="
    Milanvot's zi060312 kernel doesn't work without root partition on SD.
    Try to use cr2's zi kernel instead.