Sprint threatening letter! Not really unlimited...

Search This thread

danielddube

Oct 14, 2009
Chicago
Just got a letter from Sprint, telling me control my internet usage within 10 days.... Otherwise they will kick me out. Sprint MOD EDIT: WATCH YOUR LANGUAJE, don't advertise as unlimited and then send these threatening letters to your customers.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Last edited by a moderator:

jhayton

Jan 20, 2012
Thats why I left sprint...they crippled...errr completely removed tethering from my Palm device. I used to be able to tether via bluetooth, then one day was greeted with a message to contact CS. when i called to inquire about the loss of functionality, they told me that they now only offer that service functionality for their new top of the line devices (at the time was the Evo 4G). I told them that they need to change the name of the "Simple Everything Data" Plan, to the "Almost Everything Data" Plan. I was so angry I broke contract and canceled service right then and went to TMO. I 2nd what you say about sprint.

NewZJ

Aug 27, 2010
Seattle, Wa
They only send that letter if you abuse roaming (which is outlined in your ToS) they do not send the letter if you overuse sprints network

Thanks for trying, stop trying to sound innocent and making sprint look like the bad guy

thaiceman

Oct 22, 2007
STL - MO
OnePlus One
OnePlus 3
This is the easiest way out of any contract download several gigs of data (while roaming) in a few days on your phone and they will gladly kill your contract for you.**

Personally I bought roam control (for CDMA only) for my phone just so I could force it to roam (in my valley sprint service sucks) so while I'm home I force it to use Verizon's network which as you might guess makes Sprint real happy :D

-Ice

**I suppose I should add that I do not endorse this method for getting out of your contract & trying this method may end badly (500 page long multi-thousand dollar bill) if they catch on to what your doing.

Last edited:

eltormo

Aug 28, 2010
Have you ever heard of a fair use policy?

Sprints network has very little bandwidth 3G wise due to using outdated tech, so if your a heavy user on 3G it affects their other users.

Fair use means that if i am sold something as unlimited i should use it in that way.

That so call fair use policy is only fair on Sprint and T-mobile not on customers which are the ones that pay the monthly fee,and the reason why those companies exist,without me and you and the other sprint is just a bunch of empty useless antennas.

Is not my fault that they use outdated tech,in fact when i bought my Epic 4G touch 2 days ago no one from Sprint told me their network was as slow as 1998 DSL connections,and that their tech was outdated and that their wimax network is nothing but fake crap that only very few people can take advantage of.

They told me the phone was great and that the network was fast,not to mention the whole 4G crap hipping.

The only problem i see here is Sprint fault not his fault,is not his fault that Sprint used outdated tech i am sure no one when he bough the phone told him,hey we have and old crappy network so don't use it to much,even that is the only one advertised as ""Truly"" Unlimited and uncapped.

smacko

Feb 19, 2012
pretty lame company, offer you "unlimited" then complain you are downloading too much WTF

pottedplant73

Jun 26, 2010
I don't understand why 'unlimited' is supposed to be Sprint's big selling point. Their 3G speeds are pathetic in most places, and even when the coverage map shows you squarely under 4G, you probably won't get it--especially if you're inside any sort of building, or God forbid, in a car.

I personally wanted 5GB of fast, reliable bandwidth than all you can eat crap, so I left.

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I worked in a Sprint store before, and even before that, I received one of these letters. As someone stated above, it only applies to roaming, which costs them a lot of money once you pass your allowed amounts. They have an agreement with Verizon and roaming (and Verizon has one with Sprint). The rules are:

- 300 MB of roaming
- More than half of your minutes used for 3 consecutive months are roaming minutes
- Most of your text messaging (although I'm not sure on this one)

Chances are, you're either using a PRL hack, Roam Control (which is now off the Market I believe), or you just live in an area with ****ty Sprint signal. If the latter is the case, just save yourself the trouble and switch to another provider.

tekknozid

Jan 3, 2012
Haven't had any problems with sprint other than hitting their bandwidth throttle. Seemed to limit my down rates to 300Kb/s at first then just cripple to a trickle after that.

lykos

Aug 23, 2011
OnePlus 8
Did you have a high spike in usage? Did you move into a highly populated area?

These could be why. For example; 25GB, 41GB, 33GB, 44GB; Those are my usages for the last 4 billing cycles. I transfer a lot of data over wifi, my home network, and other networks. Along with solely high quality video and audio [MOG, Rhapsody] streams. I've never received a letter or complaint.

inflewence

Oct 29, 2008
Just got a letter from sprint saying exactly what the OP said. Not roaming but "unlimited data" usage. I'm always on 4g and I used about 109gb of data this month. They said if I don't control it they will terminate my contract. That's a lot of data I know but unlimited is unlimited!!! F them!

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Just got a letter from sprint saying exactly what the OP said. Not roaming but "unlimited data" usage. I'm always on 4g and I used about 109gb of data this month. They said if I don't control it they will terminate my contract. That's a lot of data I know but unlimited is unlimited!!! F them!

Even I would argue against you dude. 109GB is an insane amount. They mean unlimited to a reasonable amount. My friend goes to 60GB and doesn't get warned. You must've went crazy with your data to make them warn you.

jman42028

Apr 14, 2012
just to clarify, as I work for sprint currently:

Updating your PRL does nothing, other than tell the phone which towers have lower roaming costs. (on sprint)

Verizon doesn't roam on any network. (I was a verizon manager as well) If you have a vzw phone, you won't roam at all.

If your using 109 gb's a month and complaining about sprint saying something to you, I would reccommend getting an actual home internet connection instead of using it for tethering so much.

As far as the roaming stuff, yes, if you roam a ton while with sprint, they can release you from the contract, but its not an automatic thing. A lot of times you will have to call cs a few times (because sprint CS sucks, and are a bunch of morons usually) and have them pull the account and see how much you are roaming and how many dropped calls, ect, are.

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
just to clarify, as I work for sprint currently:

Updating your PRL does nothing, other than tell the phone which towers have lower roaming costs. (on sprint)

Verizon doesn't roam on any network. (I was a verizon manager as well) If you have a vzw phone, you won't roam at all.

If your using 109 gb's a month and complaining about sprint saying something to you, I would reccommend getting an actual home internet connection instead of using it for tethering so much.

As far as the roaming stuff, yes, if you roam a ton while with sprint, they can release you from the contract, but its not an automatic thing. A lot of times you will have to call cs a few times (because sprint CS sucks, and are a bunch of morons usually) and have them pull the account and see how much you are roaming and how many dropped calls, ect, are.

I was a technician at both Sprint and Verizon and I can tell you Verizon roams on Sprint. It happens a lot on my campus.

Imaginos

Jun 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Oh, sweet. This argument again. Please read the 'unlimited' agreement you have with Sprint. Please note the conditions which apply. Please note what specific data activities you are permitted in the agreement. Note also the prohibited activities. Finally, pay close attention to the bottom of this contract where you electronically signed and acknowledged/agreed to all the conditions which they are well within their rights to enforce.

109gb of data is quite a bit. How does one's handheld use that much data in a month?

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Oh, sweet. This argument again. Please read the 'unlimited' agreement you have with Sprint. Please note the conditions which apply. Please note what specific data activities you are permitted in the agreement. Note also the prohibited activities. Finally, pay close attention to the bottom of this contract where you electronically signed and acknowledged/agreed to all the conditions which they are well within their rights to enforce.

109gb of data is quite a bit. How does one's handheld use that much data in a month?

Tethering, obviously. I'm ok with tethering to a reasonable amount (ie to browse the web for a little while when there's no connection), or even to download a couple of gigs (on 4G) but 109GB is ridiculous and I side with Sprint in this case.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why do you guys use upwards of 10 GB?

If you watch Netflix on your phone, that'll do it.
    I use 22 Gigs so far this month.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

My friend got his line cut off for downloading torrents.. i have pretty much no roaming and i still got the letter.. ive had sprint for 3 months.. the first i used 64Gbs on 4g.. the 2nd i used 23Gb and the 3rd i used 24Gb... so i guess they got pissed... my 4g started clipping out whenever i started watching netflix though and thats when i got the letter.. so i'm guessing they are watching for netflix

Get t-mobile and you won't have a problem.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
    Have you ever heard of a fair use policy?

Sprints network has very little bandwidth 3G wise due to using outdated tech, so if your a heavy user on 3G it affects their other users.
    You guys are ridiculous. Unlimited means unlimited to a reasonable amount...

Actually, you are the one who is ridiculous. The word "unlimited" is pretty clearly defined. Look it up in the dictionary. There is no vagueness or ambiguity about its meaning, so any company that uses the term "unlimited" in their marketing, and then includes fine print in their contract to explain the limits of their "unlimited" plans is lying, plain and simple.

un·lim·it·ed adjective

Definition of UNLIMITED

1. lacking any controls : unrestricted <unlimited access>
    2. boundless, infinite <unlimited possibilities>
    3. not bounded by exceptions

Unlimited means without limits, period. If you impose limits to something marketed as unlimited, then that's fraud.

Sorry, but I am really sick of the nonsense companies get away with in their marketing. If it's not limits to unlimited plans, it's free stuff you have to pay a separate "processing" fee for, or a 50 inch "class" TV that is really only 49.5 inches, and don't even get me started with hard drive sizes! It's sad that most people willingly accept being defrauded and ripped off. In your case, even to the point of defending the very companies that are reaming you. Companies really need to be held accountable for this crap!
    Though I agree with you on the unlimited statement, the others I don't

1. Most people know you'll never get a fully advertised hard drive space because of accolation and things like that
    Incorrect.

Hard drive makers define terms like "Kilobyte", "Megabyte" and "Gigabyte" differently from the way a computer measures it. Computers work in base-2, so everything is powers of 2. A kilobyte is 1024 bytes to a computer (2^10), but HDD makers says it's only 1000 bytes. As sizes go up this gets exponentially worse. A gigabyte is 1024 x 1024 x 1024 bytes (2^30), or 1,073,741,824 bytes to a computer, but only 1,000,000,000 bytes to the HDD maker.

The result is that hard drives are roughly 7% smaller than their advertised capacity. This may not seem like much, but it's the same as if you went to a store to purchase a 40 inch TV and found out you only got a 37 inch when you got it home.

System memory makers do not do this. If you buy 8 GB of RAM for your computer, you get 8 GB of RAM (8,589,934,592 bytes, not 8,000,000,000 bytes). Flash memory makers used to be honest as well, but now they are playing the same "round it down" game.

2. You will never get the actually size of a an advertised tv because of the frame or housing, if you literally only got the screen then you'd have an a argument
    Also incorrect.

Back in the CRT days this was true, because CRT screens didn't have straight edges and square corners, so the bezel covered part of the screen to make it look prettier. LCD screens do not have any imaging area under the bezel. For a very long time LCD screen sizes were as advertised, but now they are starting to "fudge" the numbers in the marketing hype.

My older 20 inch monitor has an actual 20 inch diagonal image size. Same for my older 40 inch Sony XBR3 TV - it has a full 40 inch diagonal image size. When you see the word "class" added to the screen size, it means you are not getting the advertised screen size. "Class" is some kind of marketing disclaimer word that means "it's almost the size we say it is". If it's a 49.2 inch screen, then it should be advertised as such, and not a 50 inch "class" screen.

3. With free items, yes there's a processing fee, but sometimes it's so miniscule most people just say it's free unless you're a penny pincher

We can agree to disagree on that. Free is free. It's another one of those words that has a very clearly defined meaning. If you say something is free and then charge a fee for it, it's not free.

Shipping fees I might be able to forgive, it's those mysterious, undefined "processing" fees that irk me. And even the shipping fees are kind of a rip. Why should you pay 2 full price shipping fees when throwing 2 items in a single box only costs slightly more to ship in most cases.

It's not about being a penny pincher, it's about honesty and respect. Marketing, in most cases, is about taking advantage of the consumer. It assumes we are too stupid to know any better, and its goal is to cheat us. It may be only a little cheat, but it's still wrong.

Dilbert_marketing.gif

Anyway, that's my rant to your rant.

Nice debating with you. We now return to our regularly scheduled topic.

Aloha, Tim