[DEV] 09/June v1.8.1.6 - fake-flash by Koush, launching recovery without a PC

Search This thread

paulobrien

Nov 6, 2003
Norwich
www.MoDaCo.com
This morning, Koush and I have been working on / stumbling through getting recovery running on a Desire without using a PC for devices rooted with a test image. The same technique also applies to the Legend. Presenting...

fake-flash!

Fake-flash using a similar concept to the original root method, it launches a recovery image from the test image recovery, but instead of pushing the files from a PC, the files are extracted from an update.zip on the SD card. Here's how it works...

This is Recovery ROM which eliminates the need to have a PC to initiate Custom ROM loading process. Currently on a Rooted "Desire": you will need to put your phone in Recovery Mode (Power up phone while pressing Volume Down Key, then Select Recovery Option) and then Run a Batch file (eg. Recovery-windows.bat) from PC while phone is connected via USB Cable. This will put the phone on Customer ROM recovery/Loading Mode. Please check Paul's excellent methods found on MoDaCo. ClockWork eliminates this requirement of PC/Laptop.

If you have/Downloaded ClockWork ROM (Latest is 2.0.1.4), you can always copy this on you SD Card as "update.zip". While in Standard Recovery Mode (Power up phone while pressing Volume Down Key, then Select Recovery Option) Press "Up" Volume Key and Power Button. You will get Standard Android Recovery Menu. Load the update.zip. Once you do this ClockWork will show you the Custom Rom Loading Menus. From there you could load Any Customer ROM stored on your SD Card.

However, to make this simple, you should use ROM Manager Application which integrates everything together. With ROM Manager you could Select Custom ROM while the Phone is Running normally and Install them easily. To download ROM Manager and ClockWork ROM for different phones directly check:

http://www.koushikdutta.com/2010/02/clockwork-recovery-image.html

Preperation
  • Download the fake-flash update zip from one of the links below
  • Copy the update.zip to the root of your SD card (the name MUST remain as update.zip)
When you want to launch the recovery image
  • Turn on your device with 'volume down' pressed and select 'Recovery'
  • When the exclamation mark appears, press and hold 'volume up' then press 'power'
  • Select the second option, 'Apply sdcard:update.zip
  • That's it, ClockworkMod recovery should launch! :)
Neat eh?

DOWNLOADS

Just to caveat this initial release, we've yet to carry out extensive testing and you are constrained somewhat by the limitations of the stock kernel (e.g. no support for EXT4).

That's it for now... enjoy... i'll update this post as further advances are made. If you'd like to support Koush's work, consider buying 'ROM Manager Premium' from the Android Market.

P

Last edited by a moderator:

heartwork

Jun 18, 2006
what the...? :D :D :D

awesome, guys!!!
does it work with all bootloader- versions?

Edit: works like a charm with hboot80!

dread123

Jun 29, 2005
tried nandroid backup but fails on md5 checksum? some error regarding partitions?- hopefully checksum not needed and should still be able to restore?

great work to all

M4cr0s

Dec 5, 2007
This is great! :)

Seems to work fine. Successfully flashed a different kernel using this. Only thing I found so far, if mounting usb, dropping a .zip onto the SD, then going back to flash, it haven't updated the SD-card file list, i.e. can't find the new file. Not exactly a major problem though. For first-timers it would be great with some explanation as to what keys to use, and that the "back"-key in fact goes back in the menu structure.

Mac

solccp

May 28, 2010
is it possible to make an SD-ext backup?

I just tried the nandroid backup,
but it said that it couldn't find /dev/block/mmcblk0p2...:confused:

great work!

Last edited:

nbedford

Feb 12, 2007
Also got the md5 checksum error on nandroid backup here, fyi: my sdcard is a single fat32 partition if that makes any difference

-Nic

Qliratu

Jun 14, 2009
Zevenaar
Wow!!! thnx for this i rly hate the fact that i need to push files from my pc to the phone ;-)

One small step for man... one giant leap into.. ahh well i dont know

THNX

J

JupiterDroid

No more USB bricking;)) yayayayayayyyy

Just my luck i bricked yesterday, then brought my phone back from the dead;)))

Down with HTC

LONG LIVE XDA!!!!!

JD

AdamG

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 14, 2007
any chance on getting the source so we can make a customized recovery?