[Q] i727 stuck on samsung logo on boot

Search This thread

clarinch

Apr 13, 2013
Hello.

My i727 was working seemingly fine. I left it to charge overnight. In the morning it was off and would not boot past the black and white samsung logo.

I have tried various battery swaps and power combinations. The recovery mode does not load past the samsung logo.
I can load the 'download OS' menu, when I continue, the text reads:

1, ddi : mmc_read failed
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-I727
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: NO
CURRENT BINARY: SAMSUNG OFFICIAL

I don't know if that means it is completely bricked? I have never attempted to root or flash custom firmware onto this device.
However, it is out of warranty, so if loading a ROM might bring this back to life, then I'm certainly willing to try.
If there is any other information you need to help me troubleshoot this please let me know.

If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Do a factory reset in recovery mode. If you can't do that you'll probably have to flash the stock rom with odin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

clarinch

Apr 13, 2013
Do a factory reset in recovery mode. If you can't do that you'll probably have to flash the stock rom with odin.

I don't believe the recovery mode works either.
Holding VOLup + VOLdown + POWER when the device is off simply brings me to the same b/w samsung logo and does not go further.

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Can you get into download mode? Have you ever used Odin?

clarinch

Apr 13, 2013

I was looking at flashing the stock rom as an option. I downloaded Odin3 v1.85 and the suggested stock rom via this guide:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1342348

But, this happens.

Capture1.png

Capture2.png

So, I found this guide
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2023328
but including the pit file doesnt matter. Odin still crashes.

Last edited:

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
For some reason the pics don't show up. But go to the development forum for the i957 and look for vincom's stickies on odin.

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

Ok the pics did show up. The file you're trying to flash on odin is the problem

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Go to sammobile.com and download the stock rom. You'll have to register but it's free. It'll walk you through getting the Rom. Download the oldest. It'll be a zip file. From that zip extract the .tar.md5 file using 7-zip. Use that in Odin, PDA. Have auto reboot and f.reset checked

clarinch

Apr 13, 2013
For some reason the pics don't show up. But go to the development forum for the i957 and look for vincom's stickies on odin.

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

Ok the pics did show up. The file you're trying to flash on odin is the problem

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Go to sammobile.com and download the stock rom. You'll have to register but it's free. It'll walk you through getting the Rom. Download the oldest. It'll be a zip file. From that zip extract the .tar.md5 file using 7-zip. Use that in Odin, PDA. Have auto reboot and f.reset checked

Thank you for your time.

The sammobile site has 3 firmwares listed.
The oldest doesn't list a version #, is that still safe to download?

vincom

May 5, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
if you got "1, ddi : mmc_read failed" u could have nand(memory) hardware failure

when trying to flash the pit file, actually called "celox.pit", repartition should not be checked, but not to sure on that for flashing the pit file
when trying to flash stock firmwares and/or recoveries and it hangs at "Getting PIT for mapping" or getting pit errors in odin, download celox.zip and "unzip" the file, select the extracted "celox.pit" file in the pit option for odin, with all other options unchecked hit the start button in odin, once flashed you can then flash the stock firmware and/or recovery in odins pda section.
thanks cschmitt
u can try asking cschmitt for clarification

also go through the odin troubleshooting section in the restore to stock sticky

Last edited:

clarinch

Apr 13, 2013
if you got "1, ddi : mmc_read failed" u could have nand(memory) hardware failure

when trying to flash the pit file, actually called "celox.pit", repartition should not be checked, but not to sure on that for flashing the pit file

u can try asking cschmitt for clarification

also go through the odin troubleshooting section in the restore to stock sticky

Same thing. If it is a hardware failure, then that's the end of the line I guess?

Capture4.png

coronelac

Jan 18, 2010
AH jijo

I have a similar problem and I thought I'd share my experience.

I have two of these phones: one is white and the other black; the black is liquid damaged, stuck in a boot loop and the white was working fine.
I have/had one goal; to transfer raw EMMC data from one phone to the other. The information on the black damaged phone is very important.
Now, I successfully made a complete backup of the damaged phone's EMMC. I then pushed that raw data onto the working white phone's EMMC.

When I tried powering on the phone with the new info the phone had the same symptoms as the black damaged device.
I then attempted to just get the white device back to its working state by trying to flash multiple stock images WITH a PIT file.
There is where I received the same error message in Odin as the OP. I then tried a 3.+ version of Odin and it finished successfully but the device still does not power up.

I am short in time so I will stop here.

xcrazydx

Feb 3, 2012
Don't use a pit file. Just Odin a stock tar

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

01r6cle

Feb 24, 2012
Does the SAMSUNG logo go out and the phone keeps vibrating every few seconds? My roomates did that and nothing I did fixed it. Finally found somewhere that the power buttons on the Skyrocket gets stuck. So after about 10-15 minutes of installing the battery while flicking the button with my finger, it finally booted.

Don't know if yours is doing the same but worth a shot.

coronelac

Jan 18, 2010
I have a similar problem and I thought I'd share my experience.

I have two of these phones: one is white and the other black; the black is liquid damaged, stuck in a boot loop and the white was working fine.
I have/had one goal; to transfer raw EMMC data from one phone to the other. The information on the black damaged phone is very important.
Now, I successfully made a complete backup of the damaged phone's EMMC. I then pushed that raw data onto the working white phone's EMMC.

When I tried powering on the phone with the new info the phone had the same symptoms as the black damaged device.
I then attempted to just get the white device back to its working state by trying to flash multiple stock images WITH a PIT file.
There is where I received the same error message in Odin as the OP. I then tried a 3.+ version of Odin and it finished successfully but the device still does not power up.

I am short in time so I will stop here.

Just an update to my previous experience. I successfully restored the phone back to it's original state.

For anyone curious; externally re-partitioning the EMMC took care of the issue.

Top Liked Posts