[Q] Kindle Fire HD - Lost Root After 7.4.6 to 7.4.8 Update - Any Advice?

Search This thread

cautiousone

Feb 21, 2014
Ok, so I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff, but I have managed to root my Kindle Fire HD 7" and I installed the Google play store, so I was happy thus far. Yesterday I lost root and couldn't figure out why. Today I noticed that my Kindle had done an update from 7.4.6 to 7.4.8 and I'm wondering if this is why I lost root? If so, how can I fix this to get my Kindle back into root? Like I said, I'm a noob and don't want to screw up my Kindle messing around with stuff when I don't have a clue. Any advice would be of great help, thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, I should add this information: I get this pop up from Superuser, "There is no SU binary installed and Superuser can not install it. This is a problem"

Last edited:

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Yea when it updates it clears the system partition where the su binary is stored, you need to reroot it. Never heard of a 7.4.8 update, but if it is a new one and you can reroot it then you can just downgrade it with kindle fire first aid by sticking it into fastboot with a simple "adb reboot bootloader", think kffa will do it for you though.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk

cautiousone

Feb 21, 2014
masterndentske

Yea when it updates it clears the system partition where the su binary is stored, you need to reroot it. Never heard of a 7.4.8 update, but if it is a new one and you can reroot it then you can just downgrade it with kindle fire first aid by sticking it into fastboot with a simple "adb reboot bootloader", think kffa will do it for you though.

" Never heard of a 7.4.8 update, but if it is a new one and you can reroot it " Hmmmm, the way you worded that makes me feel like I might be stepping into uncharted territory if I try to root it again and I don't like the thought of that. I'll think about it and maybe give it a try tomorrow after I get some sleep and my head is clear. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• 7.4.8.jpg
    7.4.8.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 308

blackeyeX2

Feb 21, 2014
" Never heard of a 7.4.8 update, but if it is a new one and you can reroot it " Hmmmm, the way you worded that makes me feel like I might be stepping into uncharted territory if I try to root it again and I don't like the thought of that. I'll think about it and maybe give it a try tomorrow after I get some sleep and my head is clear. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

I had the same problem starting yesterday. My Kindle upgraded to 7.4.8 and any app requiring root stopped working, namely Google Play Store, SuperUser, ... I used KFFirstAide to re-root the Kindle and all is working so far.

cautiousone

Feb 21, 2014
I had the same problem starting yesterday. My Kindle upgraded to 7.4.8 and any app requiring root stopped working, namely Google Play Store, SuperUser, ... I used KFFirstAide to re-root the Kindle and all is working so far.

:good: Awesome, thanks for passing that on to me, I'm going to give it a go and see what happens. I'll post a status update later today after I've had a chance to thoroughly test it.

cautiousone

Feb 21, 2014
:victory: Well I got it to root again and reinstalled google play with no issues to report, all went well. So is there a way to stop Amazon from updating my Kindle in the future? Now, the next task is to get a second boot loader on it, although I don't have a fastboot cable, so I'm kinda chicken, hahaha. But I'm feeling confident now, so maybe I'll give it a shot tonight. Wish me luck... A big thanks for the help, I guess I just needed some reassurance on re-rooting the thing and I'm happy.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Just make sure you downgrade the bootloader first, if you don't use the fireflash method then I recommend making sure to check the md5sum of the bootloader before downgrading it so you don't end up with a paperweight.

Reactions: cautiousone

dEADwEIRD

Jan 29, 2014
I'm having this issue also. Same update, same loss of SU + Play store.
I can't get my kindle to root like before though. It says it was successful but my fire becomes extremely laggy, no icons appear, where the navigation swipe is there are slightly darker vertical lines and the only way I've fixed it is by factory restore.

How are you rerooting???

I can't remember how I rooted in the first place, I only remember that I had massive issues getting GP store on and used this KFFA which is what I'm now using to reroot.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069329

Any suggestions would be massively appreciated :)

gregcavaretta

Feb 21, 2014
kindle fire hd 7.4.8

same thing happen to me so I tried getting adb to work witch it didn't that well, so I downloaded the update .bin file from amazon and edited it useing winRAR just added SuperSU to /system/app then changed a few things in kindle first aid then used a fastboot cable to upload the custom update so my kindle is running v7.4.9 witch I changed it to because it didn't work any other way. i'll make a video

cautiousone

Feb 21, 2014
I can't get my kindle to root like before though. It says it was successful but my fire becomes extremely laggy, no icons appear, where the navigation swipe is there are slightly darker vertical lines and the only way I've fixed it is by factory restore.

How are you rerooting???

I can't remember how I rooted in the first place, I only remember that I had massive issues getting GP store on and used this KFFA which is what I'm now using to reroot.

I just followed the same steps as I did the first time I rooted it, I used KFFA. But this time around some of the actions described didn't happen, like Superuser didn't ask for permission as it did the first go around and a few other little things, but I just took it slow and easy and it came out working fine. Also I used KFFA to install GP, it also skipped a few actions, but I just have it a little extra time to do its thing and it works perfectly. I saw a fix for the laggy screen and icons issue somewhere, I think it's in KFFA? I would have to double check that when I get home to be certain.

cautiousone

Feb 21, 2014
Just make sure you downgrade the bootloader first, if you don't use the fireflash method then I recommend making sure to check the md5sum of the bootloader before downgrading it so you don't end up with a paperweight.

Thanks for the heads up on that, I've held off on doing it until I have more time to research it. I like to feel somewhat comfortable going into it and not totally freaked out. Thanks again, you guys are great around here.

dEADwEIRD

Jan 29, 2014
Sorted.
I rooted using The Bin4ry Method and using KFFA to bring all the other systems back on line.

gregcavaretta

Feb 21, 2014
is anyone having problems with ADB and fastboot on 7.4.8?

Because I tried rooting using KFFA that didn't work I kept getting errors so I tried using fastboot to flash the recovery using this code

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
I get "device not found" or when it dose work i get "failed to flash" (something like that) but i have the adb drivers installed would there be different ones for 7.4.8? When I type
Code:
fastboot device
it finds the device it just dosn't work when I want to flash

and only half the adb commands work

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
You have to have it with a special parameter telling it what the kindles vendor id is so it should look like this...:
Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery recovery.IMG
Try that.

alt-brian

May 10, 2012
"... I used KFFirstAide to re-root the Kindle and all is working so far."

I tried using bin4ry's root, which is how I originally rooted my kindle, but it did not work.
I am pleased to say that KFFirstAide was able to restore root.

Thank you xda for pointing me in the right direction!

gregcavaretta

Feb 21, 2014
You have to have it with a special parameter telling it what the kindles vendor id is so it should look like this...:
Code:
Try that.

Thank you!!! i got root access by flashing with twrp recovery witch you can get more info at

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2128848

on my other kindle i used Bin4ry root witch work but i had to turn off adb/usb debugging and turn it back on during the process because it wouldn't find the device if i didn't

you can download Bin4ry here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886460

Last edited:
Reactions: rmax78

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Thank you!!! i got root access by flashing with twrp recovery witch i downloaded at

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/79

on my other kindle i used Bin4ry root witch work but i had to turn off adb/usb debugging and turn it back on during the process because it wouldn't find the device if i didn't

wtf????? that was a twrp image for the kf1, that should have broken more than it fixed on a kfhd.

wire55

Feb 25, 2013
Holy ****!!! Your kindle works after flashing the recovery IMG that was for the kf1???

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD 7 running PAC-man

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

How are you rerooting???

I just followed the same steps as I did the first time I rooted it, I used KFFA. But this time around some of the actions described didn't happen, like Superuser didn't ask for permission as it did the first go around and a few other little things, but I just took it slow and easy and it came out working fine. Also I used KFFA to install GP, it also skipped a few actions, but I just have it a little extra time to do its thing and it works perfectly. I saw a fix for the laggy screen and icons issue somewhere, I think it's in KFFA? I would have to double check that when I get home to be certain.

Code:
    Try that.

Thank you!!! i got root access by flashing with twrp recovery witch you can get more info at

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2128848

Thank's, KFFA not recovered and Bin4ry work only after turn off adb / usb debugging

Ciao dal Max