Sideload Apps

Search This thread

rmcvey

May 16, 2011
London
www.geekknight.com
From what I've read, even thou Amazon is directly competing with Netflix they are interested in having it on the fire. I'm kinda surprised by that. Really thou, Mine is already pre-ordered, hopefully it arrives on the 14th. First thing I will do is try to sideload Netflix, so I wil let you know for certain when I receive it.

Reactions: javadaba

chrisradcliffe23

Dec 25, 2010
OnePlus 9
From what I've read, even thou Amazon is directly competing with Netflix they are interested in having it on the fire. I'm kinda surprised by that. Really thou, Mine is already pre-ordered, hopefully it arrives on the 14th. First thing I will do is try to sideload Netflix, so I wil let you know for certain when I receive it.
Thanks. Mine is supposed to be a Christmas gift so I may have to wait awhile.

Sent from my VS910 4G using XDA App

pete_kowalski83

Aug 25, 2010

I have mine pre-ordered as well so that would be so that would be nice to know. Doesn't it come out the 15th?

Sent from my ADR6300 using xda premium

GadjetGirl59

Mar 11, 2011
Just today, Amazon announced that the Fire wll come with the Netflix app.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using xda premium

antitux

May 30, 2006
According to the engadget review, you can sideload apps. The caveat is that they seem to not work too well.

I can't post the link because apparently I've not posted enough. It's right on their front page though.

mziol

Apr 5, 2010
Boston
Email yourself the dropbox apk, then you can install apk's from your dropbox (or keep emailing yourself apk's to install). Some don't work fully, Market won't at all (darn). You'll have to also check off install 3rd party apps from the device settings.

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

If you grab netflix from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1076150

You can install that and it's working fine for me, streaming Prince of Persia now. It was stuttering a bit but then stopped after I paused it for a few seconds to catch up with buffering (I think).

mziol

Apr 5, 2010
Boston
Does someone have the link(s) where we can grab Google apps (Gmaps, Gmail,Gtalk, etc...)?

I think we might have to get these ourselves. The biggest issue that I found was that I couldn't get google maps location services to work, maps loaded but wouldn't find me when I selected to.

Update: Gmail does not work right now (has to do with the account being set). FC
Maps works but no location.

Last edited:

fludiddy

Oct 20, 2011
Kansas City
Looks as though sideloading netflix is the only option until the official Netflix app hits the amazon store at some point. Right now it isn't in there -- hulu+ is and works pretty well.

mziol

Apr 5, 2010
Boston
Also, XDA works via sideloading as you can see for those of you that don't want to re-buy the app.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

na2rboy

Mar 5, 2009
Go launcher, facebook app, twitter are all working for me. Of all things, I can't get the USAA app to install.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

abremel

Dec 30, 2009
After installing the google services framework apk from the gapps zip from cyanogens site, i was able to get google books and gmail working - gmail wont auto-check mail atm, but it works. Also, adw ex works for the most part - you have to drag application shortcuts to the homescreen by holding down on them from the drawer, as the popup to add an application seems to be broken.

Also sideloaded dropbox and netflix without issues, as well as beautiful widgets and the animation package for it - latest facebook apk was force-closing on me.

soundslikemitch

Jun 4, 2009
Has anyone gotten google reader? Where can I get gmail? Which gapps should I use? The tiny one?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts