Thunderbolt fully flashed to Boost Mobile

Search This thread

anita_russell

May 14, 2008
Texas
UPDATE: Boost Flash Guide (Work In Progress)

Because so many people have PM'd me, I decided to post what I currently have, and will edit as people let me know what does or doesn't work. This is actually a collection of screenshots with my settings from QPST and CDMA Workshop, as well as my phone EPST settings. It should be easy enough to follow.

Disclaimer, Thanks, Credits, Etc....

I'm not responsible if you brick your phone, get kicked off your service, get a headache trying to flash your phone, etc.

Most of this work was originally done by the OPs of the following two threads (as far as I know, anyway), and a HUGE thanks to both of them.

http://www.cricketusers.com/verizon...-htc-thunderbolt-cricket-wireless-almost.html
Thanks to Oriax123

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1182260
Thanks to Eljean1

Ok...here's what to do:

1. Download the stuff you'll need...
QPST
CDMA Workshop
the Legal Flash Guide in Post 1 of the following thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1182260
ThunderboltBoostSettings.zip, found here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37958254/ThunderboltBoostSettings.zip

2. Unzip the ThunderboltBoostSettings.zip file. Inside there are several folders and the HTC drivers you will need.

3. Enable DIAG on your TB (##3424# - Reboot to Diag+Modem). If you don't already have your 9k modem installed, the HTC drivers should allow you to update drivers. In Device Management, you should see two unknown High Tech Computer devices. The second one is for your 9k modem. Update driver, pick from a list of drivers, select all devices, and use the USB Modem under HTC Corporation. You should now see the modem listed under Modems.

4. Follow the instructions in the CricketUsers thread, Post 6 to get your MEID working on Boost.

5. Next follow the instructions in the "How to: Basic" portion of post 1 in the same thread. These 5 steps are very important! I used PRL 01115, but whatever works best in your area.

6. Your Phone (Which should be recognized in QPST as a SURF/MSM 7630) should now have the correct MEID. Your modem should have ESN 00000000. Don't worry about the rest.

7. Now use the Legal Flash Guide to obtain your donor phone information. Skip the steps about reading memory to find MEID locations. We did this in step 4.

8. Stop once you get to Step 10 in the Legal Flash Guide. Using the folders included in the ThunderboltBoostSettings folder you extracted, use your donor settings and make sure that everything has been transfered over to your TB. In the screenshots, I highlighted things I had to change manually (and of course removed my personal info). Some of them may have changed when the NAMs were written in CDMA workshop. Each folder corresponds to the Program, Radio, and Nam I got them from on my device.

Final note: What finally kicked my 3G on was changing the User Profiles in M.IP in QPST to read 0 on my phone and 1 on my modem. After that I rewrote the HA/AAA passwords on both active profiles, both radios, then rebooted my phone.

I will review more tomorrow and update if necessary.

Ok so here's the bottom line: Got my TB fully flashed to Boost Mobile after weeks of trial and error. I have talk, text, data at 3G speeds (around 1300kbps download and 760kbps upload), MMS, and simultaneous voice and data with any SIM installed. I assume this means that it's also possible to flash the TB to Sprint. I'm not a developer, so I am doing a lot of guessing...but there are no other posts with instructions on how to flash the TB to either Sprint or Boost, at least none that I've found. It'd be awesome for XDA to have it first. If any developers/mods would like to get a tutorial up on this, PM me and I'll share the info I have.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA

Last edited:
Reactions: BRIXB

tayswg20

Apr 24, 2012
Thats awesome! From what ive heard, a lot of people would be interested in how you got this working.

Great Job

anita_russell

May 14, 2008
Texas
Thanks. Again, mostly a trial and error process on my part. I used guides from the EVO forum here on XDA, as well as info from the Cricket TB forum. I'm putting together as much of what I know as I can without starting over on my TB. The trick is in the M.IP and PPP Config settings in QPST Service Programming. For the last week I've had a connected status, but couldn't get a stable connection. When I changed the Active user to 0 on the CDMA radio and 1 on the modem, the signal stabilized. I'm hoping to have a clear and concise tutorial up this week.

Viper Daimao

May 27, 2011
Ok so here's the bottom line: Got my TB fully flashed to Boost Mobile after weeks of trial and error. I have talk, text, data at 3G speeds (around 1300kbps download and 760kbps upload), MMS, and simultaneous voice and data with any SIM installed. I assume this means that it's also possible to flash the TB to Sprint. I'm not a developer, so I am doing a lot of guessing...but there are no other posts with instructions on how to flash the TB to either Sprint or Boost, at least none that I've found. It'd be awesome for XDA to have it first. If any developers/mods would like to get a tutorial up on this, PM me and I'll share the info I have.

I seem to remember reading that Sprint actively authenticates their phones and de-authorizes ones that aren't on their Sprint system.

anita_russell

May 14, 2008
Texas
The phone must register on the network with an ESN in the Boost database. I've been told they won't even let customers activate Sprint phones anymore.

DaRkL3AD3R

Dec 5, 2010
The phone must register on the network with an ESN in the Boost database. I've been told they won't even let customers activate Sprint phones anymore.

Such try hards. Man I hate corporate control.

This is why there's such a thing as hackers. They're the digital freedom fighters!

Oorah to you OP you are a beast. Keep fighting the good fight.

anita_russell

May 14, 2008
Texas
Update:
After about a week of using the TB on Boost, the bugs seemed to have worked themselves out. I no longer have dropped calls, and my text messages, while a little slow sometimes, are being sent and received without issue. I did get an error 16 the first time I used Google Voice. I hung up and redialed and the call went through. I swapped ROMs without issue, and have restored a nandroid backup as well. Both times my data connection remained intact. The simultaneous voice/data works with any SIM card installed.

Due to the fact that this was a trial and error process, I'm not 100% sure which steps need to be included in the guide I'm creating. I'm looking for another TB at a reasonable price, or for someone who has flashing experience and the time to test the process with me. Until I know for sure that the guide contains only and exactly what is needed, I won't post it. Please PM me if you have any ideas.

BRIXB

Mar 10, 2011
data

I' ve flashed tb to boost as well. how did you get the mms and data to work..thanks

anita_russell

May 14, 2008
Texas
Sorry guys, I was experimenting with an EVO 3D and lost my data also. Smh...

Well now at least I have the information to finish the guide.

Are you getting any type of data connection at all? The data signal icon isn't reliable until you get a real connection. Install Sensorly from Market and look at the Details tab.

rcstilgar

Apr 18, 2011
Is it still working?

So...is this still working after a month or more? Seems like this is ESN flashing like is done on StraightTalk and then after about 6 weeks they cut you off. Any cutoff.

anita_russell

May 14, 2008
Texas
So...is this still working after a month or more? Seems like this is ESN flashing like is done on StraightTalk and then after about 6 weeks they cut you off. Any cutoff.
Never heard of that. Everything is still fine. I've been with Boost for years. Switched to Cricket for about 2.2 seconds...encountered the data throttling...right back to Boost.

Google_Nexus

Apr 12, 2012
Never heard of that. Everything is still fine. I've been with Boost for years. Switched to Cricket for about 2.2 seconds...encountered the data throttling...right back to Boost.

Sprint is seeking out those flashed illegal phones. As they can tell by other info that is.sent to them.from your phone. Also don't use a flip phone as a donor phone when you have an android.... As your data.maybe like well over a gig or more. They boost like what up and se you are flashed illegally...

Why on boost, no lte and Verizon is not compatible with sprint pre bands....

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium

joelstitch

Jan 29, 2012
Minneapolis
I am planning on flashing my Thunderbolt to Boost in a week or 2 but was wondering what donor phones are recommended to use for this? I actually wanted to get a Samsung Galaxy S3 with a bad ESN (since is cheaper to get) and flash it to Boost but I haven't found a good guide for this except for THIS which is a huge mess.

BoostmyXb

Sep 2, 2011
I heard that you cant use a Cricket guide to flash a thunderbolt to Boost, it is not the same guides.
I give you props for getting flashed to Boost how ever i would love to see your exact guide on how you did it and not attaching like 3 threads to the some what guide.
I have a guide which i found here in the forum on how to flash the EVO 4G and it was a step by step exactly how to do it, follow that and no problems, was so easy to follow.
I would like to give the Thunderbolt to my son thats why.

Last edited:

joey716

Nov 4, 2012
Reading
Moto G Power
?? about flashing to boost

excellent job of getting everything working. I have put an E4GT on MetroPCS but never got MMS working, now I am on to my next one another E4GT to boost. I wanted to ask about your reference to changing your MIP profiles. I believe that I need to modify something there also. I currently have everything working but 95% of the time I only have 1xRTT, but I know that Boost has 3G in my area. Any ideas??? Again great job:good:

foc110

Mar 3, 2013
thank you for this guide

I was wondering if this guide could work for the incredible LTE?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: Boost Flash Guide (Work In Progress)

Because so many people have PM'd me, I decided to post what I currently have, and will edit as people let me know what does or doesn't work. This is actually a collection of screenshots with my settings from QPST and CDMA Workshop, as well as my phone EPST settings. It should be easy enough to follow.

Disclaimer, Thanks, Credits, Etc....

I'm not responsible if you brick your phone, get kicked off your service, get a headache trying to flash your phone, etc.

Most of this work was originally done by the OPs of the following two threads (as far as I know, anyway), and a HUGE thanks to both of them.

http://www.cricketusers.com/verizon...-htc-thunderbolt-cricket-wireless-almost.html
    Thanks to Oriax123

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1182260
    Thanks to Eljean1

Ok...here's what to do:

1. Download the stuff you'll need...
    QPST
    CDMA Workshop
    the Legal Flash Guide in Post 1 of the following thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1182260
    ThunderboltBoostSettings.zip, found here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37958254/ThunderboltBoostSettings.zip

2. Unzip the ThunderboltBoostSettings.zip file. Inside there are several folders and the HTC drivers you will need.

3. Enable DIAG on your TB (##3424# - Reboot to Diag+Modem). If you don't already have your 9k modem installed, the HTC drivers should allow you to update drivers. In Device Management, you should see two unknown High Tech Computer devices. The second one is for your 9k modem. Update driver, pick from a list of drivers, select all devices, and use the USB Modem under HTC Corporation. You should now see the modem listed under Modems.

4. Follow the instructions in the CricketUsers thread, Post 6 to get your MEID working on Boost.

5. Next follow the instructions in the "How to: Basic" portion of post 1 in the same thread. These 5 steps are very important! I used PRL 01115, but whatever works best in your area.

6. Your Phone (Which should be recognized in QPST as a SURF/MSM 7630) should now have the correct MEID. Your modem should have ESN 00000000. Don't worry about the rest.

7. Now use the Legal Flash Guide to obtain your donor phone information. Skip the steps about reading memory to find MEID locations. We did this in step 4.

8. Stop once you get to Step 10 in the Legal Flash Guide. Using the folders included in the ThunderboltBoostSettings folder you extracted, use your donor settings and make sure that everything has been transfered over to your TB. In the screenshots, I highlighted things I had to change manually (and of course removed my personal info). Some of them may have changed when the NAMs were written in CDMA workshop. Each folder corresponds to the Program, Radio, and Nam I got them from on my device.

Final note: What finally kicked my 3G on was changing the User Profiles in M.IP in QPST to read 0 on my phone and 1 on my modem. After that I rewrote the HA/AAA passwords on both active profiles, both radios, then rebooted my phone.

I will review more tomorrow and update if necessary.