UPDATED !! Gingerbread Keyboard on NC!!! YAY!

Search This thread

madrascafe

Feb 16, 2006
New York
Nokia 7.2
UPDATE: Hotaru has made some updates to the KB apk. this wont work right off the bat though for NC.

Step 1. Download the latest keyboard from here.
Step 1: You must rename you existing GB keyboard or remove it.

Step 2: Then use Root Explorer OR adb push to copy the file to /system/app
Step 3. Click on the gbkb.apk and install it
Step 4. Use Root Explorer and come back to /system/app and modify permissions of the apk file like this

Code:
[SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue]
                     Read      Write      Execute
User                  X          X
Group                 X          
Others                X
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Step 5:
Reboot your NC and select the new keyboard in NCTools

Last edited:

madrascafe

Feb 16, 2006
New York
Nokia 7.2
Detailed steps for installing gingerbread keyboard on NC

A big thanks to hotaru for porting the keyboard to 2.1, ne0fhyk for the keyboard app & nookDev team for all tips..

This post is written on the following assumptions:

1. You have Nook Color

2. You have a firmware 1.0.1 (1.0.0 may work, but i haven't tested this keyboard with it)

3. Rooted it with Autonooter for 1.0.1 - BTW if you used Auto-Nooter, you will have Droid-X keyboard as default NOT the Stock Keyboard.

Step 1. I would recommend that you download the gingerbread 2.1 keyboard (gbkb.apk) from hotaru as there may be updates..

Step 2. --OPTIONAL-- Install Keyboard Manager developed by ne0fhyk (You really don't need this since Autonooter has NCTools app which can be used for the same purpose. the only advantage this tool has is that you can use 2 different keyboards for portrait & landscape ;P)

To install:
1- Download the app (KeyboardManager.apk) on your device sdcard.
2- Using Root Explorer, move the apk file to /system/app
3- Using Root Explorer, edit the file permissions like below:
-- User: 'Read/Write' checked
--Group: 'Read' checked
--Others: 'Read' checked
4- Exit Root Explorer

Step 3. Backup, remove & install Gingerbread keyboard ( You dont have to remove your old keyboard if you have the keyboard manager installed. so u can choose between autonooter droidx kb if required)

Open your command prompt or console and remount /system as writable.

HTML:
adb shell

#mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
#exit
Copy the default keyboard (LatinIME.apk) from /system/app as a backup, as we will be removing this file shortly.

HTML:
adb pull /system/app/LatinIME.apk LatinIME.apk
Transfer your keyboard APK to /system/app
HTML:
adb push gbkb-2.1.apk  /system/app
Now we have to Remove LatinIME.apk
HTML:
adb shell
# cd /system/app
# rm LatinIME.apk
# exit
Alternatively, you can rename the LatinIME.apk if you do not wish to delete it, as this will enable you to freely switch back to the stock keyboard layout.

HTML:
adb shell
# cd /system/app
# mv LatinIME.apk KeyboardBackup.apk
# exit
Now Reboot NOOKcolor & enjoy Gingerbread keyboard...
HTML:
adb reboot
See the screenshot below

Once you bring the keyboard up touch the setting button (2nd from lower left) and you'll see the settings screen. you can switch to the droidx keyboard from here but not back. Vibrate dont work yet...

UPDATE: For people having trouble with the keyboard

When you followed the steps and removed the LatinIME.apk without backing it up, you can still get from the post below. After you "push" LatinIME back into /system/app, reboot the NC & follow the instructions (THANKS TO wtd966)

Reinstall the gbkb-2.1.apk using root explorer and it'll work. Here are the steps:

HTML:
Step 1. Using Root Explorer Navigate to /system/app.
Step 2. Click on your GingerBread keyboard apk: gbkb-2.1.apk
Step 3. Click install.
Once re-installed long click in a text field untill you get the option to select input method.
Re-select GingerBread keyboard.

Attachments

• 10-12-19-2.jpg
    10-12-19-2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,928
  • 10-12-19-11.jpg
    10-12-19-11.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,330
Last edited:

kitzuki

Mar 9, 2010
very cool will give it a go after dinner

edit
Woot Got it working thanks to the guide
Thanks my dude!

Last edited:
Reactions: CocoaGoddess

isolated_epidemic

Sep 15, 2007
Spokane, WA
Worked great for me once I learned to follow directions and not pretend like I knew what I was doing... I love it, great keyboard and doesnt go into full screen mode when in landscape. Much appreciated!

CocoaGoddess

Dec 2, 2010
San Diego
Thanks so much!

I do plan to use this keyboard, but just a quick question--would this work for any keyboard .apk, such as Shapewriter or Swiftkey?

Thibor69

Well I am not so lucky. I followed your instructions to the letter, but now I have no keyboard at all. When I open Keyboard manager the only keyboard listed is in fact GingerBread .... so I check the box, but when I go to type inside any application NO KEYBOARD shows up at all. And I did not back up LatinIME.apk either so I am screwed.

What can I do ?????

.milFox

May 18, 2009
Well I am not so lucky. I followed your instructions to the letter, but now I have no keyboard at all. When I open Keyboard manager the only keyboard listed is in fact GingerBread .... so I check the box, but when I go to type inside any application NO KEYBOARD shows up at all. And I did not back up LatinIME.apk either so I am screwed.

What can I do ?????

grab the keyboard from the Sideload_Update. It's in system/app/

Thibor69

What can I do ?????

Ok I found a copy of LatinIME and pushed it. It works... but the GB keyboard still wont run for me even tho I select it in keyboard manager. **shrug**

madrascafe

Feb 16, 2006
New York
Nokia 7.2

What can I do ?????

Sorry for these questions. but it'll help me solve your problem

1. I want to make sure that you did not INSTALL the apk but did an "adb push" to /system/app
2. did u enable r/w instructions for the keyboard manager?
3. the keyboard can also be changed with "NookColor Tools". If you rooted with AutoNooter, you can see this app
4. always reboot after the process.
5. also can you please let me know what firmware version u have on your NC?

madrascafe

Feb 16, 2006
New York
Nokia 7.2

What can I do ?????

Thanks so much!

I do plan to use this keyboard, but just a quick question--would this work for any keyboard .apk, such as Shapewriter or Swiftkey?

Sorry.. both these keyboards do not work.. but Gb is awesome in its own way...

wtd966

Dec 3, 2010
Ok I found a copy of LatinIME and pushed it. It works... but the GB keyboard still wont run for me even tho I select it in keyboard manager. **shrug**
I had the same problem. I reinstalled the apk using root explorer and it worked. Maybe it will work for you. Here are the steps:

Navigate to /system/app.

Click on your GingerBread keyboard apk: gbkb-2.1.apk

Click install.

Once re-installed long click in a text field untill you get the option to select input method.

Good Luck!!

norkoastal

Dec 7, 2007
Bay Area
Thanks for the.heads up up, i love this keyboard on my evo... What was your starting point prior to install? Freshly auto nootered 1.01? Xboxes auto script? I think some of the files might be different for those with the modded droid x kb.

Just saw a post on XDA elsewhere by hotaru where he posted the GB keyboard for 2.1

Was able to install it and am putting it thro the works.

here are the steps... PLEASE FOLLOW THEM unless u wanna screw up the keyboard. no harm thou, you can always recover.

1. Go HERE and download the keyboard 2.1 - THANKS Hotaru

2. Now go HERE and follow the instructions to install the Keyboard Manager. This is a very cool manager as u can manage the landscape & portrait separately

3. Now head over to NookDevs and backup your LatinIME.apk as described and push the apk you downloaded from step 1.

4. reboot & enjoy

I will write a detailed step-by-step instructions in a bit but wanted to share the excitement..

weili3d

Dec 4, 2010
Many thanks to madrascafe. Follow the instruction and the keyboard and keyboard manager work well.

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using XDA App

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
I had the same problem. I reinstalled the apk using root explorer and it worked. Maybe it will work for you. Here are the steps:

Navigate to /system/app.

Click install.

Good Luck!!

That worked perfectly! I was trying to do this with Astro, but there was no install option (only Launch). With RE, i was able to reinstall like you said, and it works great! :)

kevinpc

Dec 18, 2010
OKC
Great got it working, one question.

I got it working, but every time the keyboard changes from landscape to portrait a pop up says

"Exception caught: java.lang.SecurityException: using null token requires permission android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS"

Is this normal or do I need to change permissions on something?

Last edited:

madrascafe

Feb 16, 2006
New York
Nokia 7.2
I got it working, but every time the keyboard changes from landscape to portrait a pop up says

"Exception caught: java.lang.SecurityException: using null token requires permission android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS"

Is this normal or do I need to change permissions on something?

kevin.. i recommend that you start from scratch.. i.e. restore to stock firmware and use autonooter.

1. not sure how you rooted ur NC? did u use autonooter?
2. make sure u have superuser pack in your NC.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: Hotaru has made some updates to the KB apk. this wont work right off the bat though for NC.

Step 1. Download the latest keyboard from here.
    Step 1: You must rename you existing GB keyboard or remove it.

Step 2: Then use Root Explorer OR adb push to copy the file to /system/app
    Step 3. Click on the gbkb.apk and install it
    Step 4. Use Root Explorer and come back to /system/app and modify permissions of the apk file like this

Code:
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue]
                         Read      Write      Execute
    User                  X          X
    Group                 X          
    Others                X
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Step 5:
    Reboot your NC and select the new keyboard in NCTools
    Detailed steps for installing gingerbread keyboard on NC

A big thanks to hotaru for porting the keyboard to 2.1, ne0fhyk for the keyboard app & nookDev team for all tips..

This post is written on the following assumptions:

1. You have Nook Color

2. You have a firmware 1.0.1 (1.0.0 may work, but i haven't tested this keyboard with it)

3. Rooted it with Autonooter for 1.0.1 - BTW if you used Auto-Nooter, you will have Droid-X keyboard as default NOT the Stock Keyboard.

Step 1. I would recommend that you download the gingerbread 2.1 keyboard (gbkb.apk) from hotaru as there may be updates..

Step 2. --OPTIONAL-- Install Keyboard Manager developed by ne0fhyk (You really don't need this since Autonooter has NCTools app which can be used for the same purpose. the only advantage this tool has is that you can use 2 different keyboards for portrait & landscape ;P)

To install:
    1- Download the app (KeyboardManager.apk) on your device sdcard.
    2- Using Root Explorer, move the apk file to /system/app
    3- Using Root Explorer, edit the file permissions like below:
    -- User: 'Read/Write' checked
    --Group: 'Read' checked
    --Others: 'Read' checked
    4- Exit Root Explorer

Step 3. Backup, remove & install Gingerbread keyboard ( You dont have to remove your old keyboard if you have the keyboard manager installed. so u can choose between autonooter droidx kb if required)

Open your command prompt or console and remount /system as writable.

HTML:
    adb shell

#mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
    #exit
    Copy the default keyboard (LatinIME.apk) from /system/app as a backup, as we will be removing this file shortly.

HTML:
    adb pull /system/app/LatinIME.apk LatinIME.apk
    Transfer your keyboard APK to /system/app
    HTML:
    adb push gbkb-2.1.apk  /system/app
    Now we have to Remove LatinIME.apk
    HTML:
    adb shell
    # cd /system/app
    # rm LatinIME.apk
    # exit
    Alternatively, you can rename the LatinIME.apk if you do not wish to delete it, as this will enable you to freely switch back to the stock keyboard layout.

HTML:
    adb shell
    # cd /system/app
    # mv LatinIME.apk KeyboardBackup.apk
    # exit
    Now Reboot NOOKcolor & enjoy Gingerbread keyboard...
    HTML:
    adb reboot
    See the screenshot below

Once you bring the keyboard up touch the setting button (2nd from lower left) and you'll see the settings screen. you can switch to the droidx keyboard from here but not back. Vibrate dont work yet...

UPDATE: For people having trouble with the keyboard

When you followed the steps and removed the LatinIME.apk without backing it up, you can still get from the post below. After you "push" LatinIME back into /system/app, reboot the NC & follow the instructions (THANKS TO wtd966)

Reinstall the gbkb-2.1.apk using root explorer and it'll work. Here are the steps:

HTML:
    Step 1. Using Root Explorer Navigate to /system/app.
    Step 2. Click on your GingerBread keyboard apk: gbkb-2.1.apk
    Step 3. Click install.

Navigate to /system/app.

Click install.

Good Luck!!
    very cool will give it a go after dinner

edit
    Woot Got it working thanks to the guide
    Thanks my dude!
    Autonooter now has NC tools installed with the option to choose the keyboard. Why would we need need to add Keyboard Manager? Is landscape not enabled with NC Tools?

Thanks!

you're right.. no need for the KBM... old habits die hard :p.. i've also mentioned NCtools in my post..