Nexus S (GSM) android 4.0.4 Official update (with download links !!)

Search This thread

Flash05

Jul 13, 2010
oops I forgot to quote Flash05's post.

Sure thing :)

http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.0.2-crespo.img

it's on the same page as the ROMS

thank you! ;)

i didn't see that part :(

so I need to replace the 4.0.3 recovery via ADB and then i should be able to update it via after using CWM...

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

can i use the non-touch? weird right. you already mentioned use touch..

just curious :)

Lazer Bear

Dec 21, 2011
thank you! ;)

i didn't see that part :(

so I need to replace the 4.0.3 recovery via ADB and then i should be able to update it via after using CWM...

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

can i use the non-touch? weird right. you already mentioned use touch..

just curious :)

Well, technically you are replacing the recovery via fastboot, not adb, but you got the hang. You can also use non touch recovery, touch is more user friendly though.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA

gwong76

Feb 4, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
hi all, it seems that I am having trouble getting back into recovery after I flashed the update 4.0.4 using CWM recovery..I am on a rooted stock 4.0.3 before the update.....

When I reboot the my I9023 into fastboot mode and go into recovery it shows me a green little android with a red exclamation mark...

I tried to flash the CMW recovery image using CMD prompt...but it failed to push the recovery image file in to the phone. Can anyone help on this? Thanks.

iboj007

Here's my experience getting to 4.0.4 on a white i9020a. A little bit more of a headache than I would have liked but nonetheless, I have it running smoothly AND I kept ALL of my data, messages, settings, etc.

I got my 9020a back in July and I believe had messed with some settings that caused it to go into a constant reboot. Basically I ended up flashing the wrong GRI54 (the one for the 9020T) and that eventually got updated to GRJ22 2.3.4.

From July until December I was stuck on 2.3.4 as I kept on trying to apply the 2.3.6 update for the 9020a and kept getting error status 7 using both stock and CWM. I had given up. Then in late December I received a brief notification to update to 4.0.3 and that update failed (also status 7).

Last week I got tired of 2.3.4 and thought about trying the full update for the 9020T thinking that maybe I had a 9020T ROM. It worked without a hitch and literally 10 minutes later I was up and running on 4.0.3 from here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1398186). I flashed the XXKB3 radio from the radio thread via fastboot and was sitting pretty. The battery life was horrible and KB3 had issues maintaining a signal.

Today, I downloaded the 4.0.4 file from here: (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1569116) and tried to apply it via both stock recovery and CWM and both failed with the dreaded status 7 error. Here's what I did to get it working on the 9020a from 4.0.3

1. Backup EFS folder to a secure location.
2. Download and place the full ROM for 4.0.3 from the above thread on your SD card.
3. Download and place the update for 4.0.4 from the above thread on your SD card.
4. Download the radio UCKE1 from the thread here and place on SD card: (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1116884)
5. Install CWM (I used CWM touch)
6. Boot into CWM and install from SD card. Install the full version of 4.0.3 (works even if you are currently on 4.0.3. This will make you stock again.)
7. Before allowing your new 4.0.3 to boot, go back into CWM.
8. Go to install zip from SD card again and install the 4.0.4 build. It should show you that it's patching the existing setup.
9. Once 4.0.4 has installed, restart the phone and allow it to boot.
10. Make sure CWM is installed and boot back into CWM.
11. Apply zip from SD card and apply the zip for UCKE1. UCKE1 was the only radio that gave me signal on AT&T. If you dont have signal, delete the contents of your /EFS folder and then replace them from your EFS backup.
12. Use your favorite rooting method to regain root. I used the 1 click method from here: (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1544940)

ENJOY!

mindwalkr

Jun 6, 2011
Factory images now available for the nexus s.

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/?fromgroups#!topic/android-building/b50nY_onbP4

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

Is there any advantage in installing these if you have apparently already successfully updated via the incremental OTA ?
I mean.. of course there can be always something that's "slightly" of as opposed to installing a fastboot image.. but then restoring all the data again can be a pain, even if you use Titanium Backup I'm not so sure it's smooth as butter.

qorron

Dec 5, 2011
Sort of comclusion of all the reasearch done do far.

So, it seems, that it is simply not possible to use any incremental update available right now with the current (4.0.3 and most likely 4.0.4 too) stock recovery.

Regarding to:
bro can you explain it to me easy method so that i can install the update pls !! i dont want to flash or root or do any thhing that will brick my phone just tell me simple step by step instruction for noob to update thanx

i have completely stock 4.0.3 i9020T

There is however a way that has been reported to work: (starting from a locked, unrooted 4.0.3 with stock recovery)
  • As full ROMs work fine, flash to 2.3.6 using a full ROM provided here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1063664
  • Reboot right back into the recovery (Booting into 2.3.6 might mess up something)
  • Flash a 4.0.3 (full or incremental, it shouldn't matter)
  • Flash the 4.0.3 -> 4.0.4 incremental (this works because we are still in the recovery that came with 2.3.6)
  • Reboot
  • Have fun with 4.0.4

The reason why an incremental update in the 4.0.3 recovery fails is still unknown.
No evidence that this may be on purpose has been found so far.
There is a lot of source yet to be used to find this out. ;-)

Just summing up what already has been posted with some explanations.

qorron

Dec 5, 2011
Do I lose my installed Apps (=Wipe) if I flash back to 2.3.6 and then to 4.0.3 and .4?

no, you do not.
apps and stuff are in /data and this is not touched by the update process.
(4.0.4 "optimizes" the apps at the first boot, but nothing was lost in my case)

however:
there may be a reason to wipe after the update e.g. if the system fails to boot (this is not expected to happen, but who knows..)

so, a backup of some sort is always recommended.

heilmaenner

Apr 28, 2009
Okay. But since my bootloader is still locked and the phone is unrooted, I will not be able to downgrade from 4.0.3 to 2.3.6, right?

eddiem74

Mar 9, 2011
Dublin
So my phone (I9020) is encrypted and I have been running stock, flashed from 2.3.x to 4.0.3 and ran stock ever since.

So in order to flash the upgrade do I need to do a full reset to remove encryption?

When I go into recovery at the moment it states: "E:failed to mount /sdcard (invalid argument)"

Also, when you do flash is there a way to ensure your apps remain where they were on each screen or will the reset mess that up?

Anyone? :p

crazychubchub

Sep 7, 2010
Updated from 4.0.3, rooted.
Works great, can´t say whether 4.0.4 is better/smoother that 4.0.3 because 4.0.3 was already good, but thank you for the link!

Edit: Display flickering after updating.

Last edited:

nolook

Sep 5, 2010
finally got this update to work on my AWS I9020 4.0.3 nexus *without* having to wipe the system....this is very noob friendly and only took 2 mins...found out about this from a post on howardforums...

1. Root using this exploit - you will need usb debugging, sdk, samsung drivers, etc
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24249584#post24249584
2. download and run superuser
3. Flash CWM via Rom Manager
4. Flash OTA 4.0.4 update via CWM

First impressions of 4.0.4 is its faster (esp browser) than 4.0.3...

Last edited:

mtwkid

Mar 31, 2012
mtwkid.wordpress.com
Install 4.0.4 from factory images

Tried to upgrade using hR7QFEtn.zip but got error status 7. Finally I got 4.0.4 installed on my I9023 (locked bootloader; unroot; full stock 4.0.3) by installing factory images.

I did these steps:
- Get "soju" 4.0.4 (IMM76D) factory images from Android.com
- Install Android SDK and Android USB Driver
- Follow instruction from androidtobe.blogspot.com, just replaced commands with what mentioned in flash-all.sh file.

*sorry, i can't post the links because i'm a new member :D

Thanks for the thread!!

Last edited:

drmwnhrn

Jun 17, 2009
Hi guys,
I can update to 4.0.4 to my I9023, but can't make it rooted. I tried to flash superuser via CWM but failed after booting.
Is anyone could give me direction how to root properly?
Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes here it is the nexus s official android 4.0.4 from google :)
    this needs to be flashed over the stock 4.0.3 official rom from google it's a 17.8 mb update not a full rom so you can only flash it over stock 4.0.3 i repeat only over stock or else it will fail.
    i managed to get the download link from google servers here it is http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_crespo/hR7QFEtn.zip as you can see an official google link.
    so far i noticed that the recovery is fixed (no longer disappear on i9023 devices)
    and battery problems solved too.

ONLY FLASHABLE VIA CWM
    the reason is here:http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24198556
    Solution (well maybe...)

So.. from what I read in this thread I derive some more or less useful observations:
    It works and fails on slightly modified roms.
    It works and fails on unmodified roms.
    It tends to fail more often with the stock recovery.

Here is my story: 9023, cwm5023, manually flashed 4.0.3 in december, rooted, rom slightly modified (hosts file, some extra ogg files in the notifications dir, root, rootkeeper, and deleted recovery-overwrite-script).

What I did: put the file from the first post in /sdcard/, reboot, recovery, apply update.zip, first the 404, then root (just to be sure), fix permissions (don't know if necessary), reboot, got 404.

But the reports of failed updates made me curios.

(at this point this analysis may get a little bit above the level of understanding of a regular Joe android user)

So, I had a look at the source.
    (extract the zip, searched for something that looks like an update script)
    got this one:
    Code:
    /META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script

And right here at the end of this little code block in line 652:
    Code:
    assert(apply_patch_check("/system/vendor/lib/libwvm.so", "6f03d4b266d99f2e79a617786d4ba4981a2bc4e5", "aa466817fc702b7764ac442452aea2c4593503e3"));
    set_progress(0.983189);
    assert(apply_patch_check("MTD:boot:3526656:40d819a22242be448d36e61b1ad42501e88838cb:3526656:877503a77928e449c8bff451ea7a3e783a4b607f"));
    set_progress(1.000000);
    assert(apply_patch_space(15916988));

Here is the feared apply_patch_space call.
    Still no real clue what it does.

So, I googled and found:
    http://www.freeyourandroid.com/guide/introdution_to_edify

The interesting part:
    Function Name: apply_patch_space

Function Syntax: apply_patch_space(bytes)

Parameter Details: bytes = number of bytes to check for

Action: Checks the cache to verify that there is enough space to write the patched files to it and returns something. Need to test this function to verify.

Ok.. so, the problem is not a modified file (files are checked too, you can see which ones by reading the script) but more a lack of free space on a 'cache' (who's location is yet to be determined).

So, thats about 15MB of free space required.
    Looking at /cache with root explorer: 466MB free

Found a lead to the source files here:
    http://tjworld.net/wiki/Android/UpdaterScriptEdifyFunctions

Again, use the source Luke!

I had the android source lying around somewhere from the time I wrote this (completely unrelated) post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=20017514#post20017514

I had to jump through quite a bunch of C-source files (I'll spare you the story) until i got the answer:
    Code:
    size_t free_now = FreeSpaceForFile("/cache");
    So, it really is /cache
    There may be many reasons why this fails:
    • There is not enough space left on /cache (obvious)
    • /cache is not mounted but it should be (it failed to mount somehow? maybe a prior wipe or backup unmounted it?)
    • It is mounted read only and it should be mounted rw.

To be sure, I had a quick look at the situation right after the device enters the (cwm) recovery:
    Code:
    ~ # mount
    rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
    tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime,mode=755)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
    /dev/block/mtdblock4 on /cache type yaffs2 (rw,nodev,noatime,nodiratime)
    ~ #

if you are there, you can check the free space with the df command:
    Code:
    ~ # df
    Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    tmpfs                   176532        32    176500   0% /dev
    /dev/block/mtdblock4    480768      2588    478180   1% /cache
    ~ #

The expected situation right before the update should be:
    /cache is mounted read/write and has plenty of free space.
    (note: df displays capacities in numbers of 1k blocks)

I have no idea what all you guys did before the update, but this may help if you have this 'apply_patch_space' error:
    • Ensure a working 4.0.3 is on the device.
    • After entering the recovery, immediately apply the update.
    • If you have the urge to backup, wipe, whatever, do it and then reboot once more for the update to ensure all effects of that actions on the /cache are gone.

Again: I have no idea if this solves your case, but it is my best guess and I think it has a good chance of success.
    guys can you post instruction on how to do it blind using 4.0.3 stock and not rooted.

THanks.
    I do believe I've got to the bottom of the Error 7 and there doesn't appear to be a damn thing we can do about it. It appears as though Google has made it so that we can't flash OTA updates manually in stock recovery anymore.

The guys over on the Xoom thread were having the exact same problem with the Xoom WiFi 4.0.4 OTA. Same package.zip error status 7. My friend with a WiFi Xoom got an OTA update on his, so I told him not to install it. Instead we downloaded the OTA update manually and attempted to flash it through stock recovery. It errored out with the package.zip error status 7. So I had him reboot the tablet, go into the OTA software and tap "reboot and install". It flashed without problem.

I have a feeling this will be the exact same thing with the Nexus S. So it looks like we all either wait for the OTA popup on our phones, or we have to unlock our bootloaders, install either a stock Gingerbread or ClockworkMod recovery, then flash the OTA manually.
    Thats the error I'm getting. It then comes up:

E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted.

I've tried to find that file in the 4.0.4 update and the full 4.0.3 update but cant find it

I tried outputting the contents of /cache/recovery/log-* and it appears that the /cache partition is full or not mounted (0 bytes free). The stock recovery even tried to delete old files, but failed. My guesses are:
    1) bug in stock recovery (not mounting /cache correctly). It's strange though that after rebooting the logs are correctly placed in /cache/recovery/log-*
    2) bug on the 4.0.4 update (or incompability with the ROM)

The update successfully completes the validation/checksum verification phase. It's also possible that Google added some kind of verification to prevent people from downloading the ROM without before getting a notification.