[Q] Can't make or receive calls

Search This thread
Jul 12, 2009
Started a couple days ago, using straight talk AT&T sim on my nexus 5, Data and text messages work fine, but whenever I try and make a phone call the signal drops completely and calls won't connect. People been telling me when they try to call it goes straight to voicemail. I'm running stock rom. Any suggestions? Straight talk and Google both with no help.

Bruce Lee

Jan 20, 2011
Ohio
plus.google.com
Have you tried a different sim card from like a friends phone to make sure its not the phone itself? You can also try to call ATT to see if its on their end.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Jul 12, 2009
Swapped sims with my wife. Mine worked on her phone hers didn't on mine. Think it might be a hardware issue on my phone and I got it on Craigslist so I think I'm screwed

Bruce Lee

Jan 20, 2011
Ohio
plus.google.com
Sounds like it definitely is a hardware issue now or something with the Sim tray. Sorry to break it to ya. Hopefully you can work something out with the guy on Craigslist.

Jul 12, 2009
Thanks. I have had the phone for about 4 months with no issues. I K of its not the sim tray because I still get data and texts and I can receive calls sometimes if I have dull reception somewhere. It just started all of a sudden, pretty frustrating

_jordan_

Oct 2, 2013
Started a couple days ago, using straight talk AT&T sim on my nexus 5, Data and text messages work fine, but whenever I try and make a phone call the signal drops completely and calls won't connect. People been telling me when they try to call it goes straight to voicemail. I'm running stock rom. Any suggestions? Straight talk and Google both with no help.

I had this issue on the stock, unrooted ROM after about 4 months as well. I think the cache partition was corrupted. You can try wiping this in recovery and see if the problem fixes itself.

I didn't think of just wiping the cache, so instead I did a factory reset by unlocking the bootloader and everything cleared up.

Now I wipe the cache partition roughly once a month and the phone runs like a champ. Also I use sdmaid to clear the device from junk that accumulates over time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jul 12, 2009
I had this issue on the stock, unrooted ROM after about 4 months as well. I think the cache partition was corrupted. You can try wiping this in recovery and see if the problem fixes itself.

I didn't think of just wiping the cache, so instead I did a factory reset by unlocking the bootloader and everything cleared up.

Now I wipe the cache partition roughly once a month and the phone runs like a champ. Also I use sdmaid to clear the device from junk that accumulates over time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help, but I already did a factory reset with no success. Data works fine on LTE but if ibtryvswitching to 3g or 2g signal drops as well. If I have full signal it will connect but anything in less it doesn't connect the calls.

aamoroso

May 5, 2007
Sydney
This happened to me on my non rooted N5 with 4.4.4. Disabling Wifi and/or LTE sometimes allowed a single SMS to get through, but then the problem resumed.

I fixed it by booting into recovery and wiping the cache partition. For some reason that took a long time (about 5 minutes) but eventually it finished and when I rebooted it was all good.

Sharpie24l

Jun 4, 2014
Gainesville, FL
I'd try the wiping the cache and reflashing the radio.
I had a similar issue first week of owning the phone any time I sent a text I lost service until I rebooted.

From what I've read some N5's don't like the 4.4.4 radios. Mine likes 4.4.4 but couldn't pick up a signal if it had a 50ft antenna with 4.4.3 radio.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

kgtgv4

Jul 3, 2011
Nexus 5 Not making or receiving calls

I just had this almost exact same scenario. I started having problems with signal dropping using CM12 nightlies (late April 2015) then eventually I switched over to a NET10 because T mobile was not cutting it to begin with. After the problem persisted on an ATT Sim card with NET10, I started flashing different ROMs. Signal seemed to be more stable and everything was fine for a while. After a few days I was no longer able to make or receive calls.

Eventually I did a complete factory image (still didn't work)
Flashed a 4.4 radio image (didn't work immediately, but the next morning it seems to be working as of now)

I probably could have skipped the hours of trouble shooting if I would have (found this thread first) and just tried flashing different radio images. Or maybe it was the series of other steps combined...not really sure.

Good luck and hopefully this helps the next person going through this mess. Oh and don't event waste your time calling NET10/Straighttalk customer service.

*EDIT* Above did not solve my problem, I actually had to fix the physical radio connections which came loose.

Last edited:

mac_attack10

Jun 2, 2015
same problem

Hey guys having the exact same issue. Dropped my phone hard and then all of a sudden I cannot make or receive ant calls with my carrier dialer. I can send and receive texts, use LTE data , Wi-Fi. When I place a call, it is silent for about 10 seconds then drops the call. When people call it is silent for 15 seconds, then voicemail.
Called google, said it is out of warranty and LG would have to repair it for $150 just to see the phone.
Have done a cache wipe and factory reset. Is this most likely a hardware issue that I need to open the back for ? Little bit of a tech noob but can work my way around things. Any help is super appreciated as I love my N5 32G and don't have the money.

kgtgv4

Jul 3, 2011
Same issue that I had, just remove the back and reattach/secure the radio wiring. It's on the left side and rubs parallel to the battery. It was a petty quick and easy fix.

mac_attack10

Jun 2, 2015
Same issue that I had, just remove the back and reattach/secure the radio wiring. It's on the left side and rubs parallel to the battery. It was a petty quick and easy fix.

So I took the back off and looked at the cables and they were both connected. I took them off anyways and reconnected them. Didn't see anything surprising to my eyes at least. The only thing I did find out was that LTE is the only setting that I can't use data and texts on. 3G and 2G say no cellular network detected. Do I maybe need to replace the antenna cables ??

kgtgv4

Jul 3, 2011
So I took the back off and looked at the cables and they were both connected. I took them off anyways and reconnected them. Didn't see anything surprising to my eyes at least. The only thing I did find out was that LTE is the only setting that I can't use data and texts on. 3G and 2G say no cellular network detected. Do I maybe need to replace the antenna cables ??

Hmmm. I don't think the cables would be bad. I would just make absolute sure that they are staying attached after you re-assemble your phone. I even put a small piece of tape over the end that I noticed was loose. If that doesn't work then I think we had different issues with the same symptoms.

trachyte

Nov 9, 2015
I'm having this same issue. Three weeks now, unable to make or receive calls. SMS and data work fine. Wifi works. LTE works. When I switch to 3G or 2G there is no connection and T-Mobile doesn't appear in the list of networks. The SIM card works fine in another phone so it must be an issue with the device.

Tried everything on the software and settings side, flashed different ROMs, flashed different radios including stock. No change whatsoever. I completely disassembled and reassembled the phone. Nothing was loose or looked broken, all contacts seem to be making contact.

I do vaguely recall dropping the phone recently, so I guess that must have been it. The only other possible cause was that Google Play Services was auto-updated the day before I noticed the problem. Of course that is unlikely to be the cause but just mentioning it in case anyone else had this issue starting around Oct 23, 2015.

As much as I hate to do it, I guess I'll have to get a new phone. Just no other solution I can see unfortunately.

For anyone finding this posting through Google, currently there is no VoLTE (Voice over LTE) support in the Nexus 5 on T-Mobile. If that is available when you're reading this, then you might look into enabling VoLTE and seeing if you can make voice calls using that. Based on my reading it seems like VoLTE is a software update (perhaps requiring the provider to support the device as well), but the consensus seems to be that VoLTE on Nexus 5 on T-Mobile is unlikely to happen. But they support it on the Nexus 6, so maybe there is some way it can be done on the Nexus 5. Also Wifi Calling on T-Mobile is not available for the Nexus 5. The consensus there is that the stock Google/T-Mobile ROMs are unlikely to ever add Wifi Calling support for the Nexus 5, but perhaps CM 13 or Android Marshmallow do or will have Wifi Calling support built in, so there may be some possibility of getting Wifi Calling using those.

kgtgv4

Jul 3, 2011
Did you try checking the cell antenna? That was my issue, I just tapped it back in place and my N5 has been fine ever since.

trachyte

Nov 9, 2015
Did you try checking the cell antenna? That was my issue, I just tapped it back in place and my N5 has been fine ever since.

If you mean the ones with the long wires, then yes, I checked those. Actually I checked pretty much everything inside the phone. According to this excellent disassembly video: youtube dot com/watch?v=OPuCmfhzgbg , there are lots of antennas and antenna contacts. So many that he doesn't get to all of them until 20 minutes into the video. But still, I checked all of those and they looked ok. There must be some damage somewhere, just too small for me to spot. He also identifies "external test ports" for some of the antennas. I don't know how those are used or if they would be useful to debug this issue, but for anyone else experiencing this, you might try looking into those.

Rembhalla

Mar 23, 2016
Help

Thanks. I have had the phone for about 4 months with no issues. I K of its not the sim tray because I still get data and texts and I can receive calls sometimes if I have dull reception somewhere. It just started all of a sudden, pretty frustrating

I'm having the same problem on my Nexus 6 and don't know what PA is and how to change it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just the same issue today as you. It was a ROM issue. I was on PA. I switched to aokp for now.