Tutorial/Walkthrough for flashing an .sbf to Droid 2 (unrooting/factory restore)

Search This thread

darkonion

Aug 27, 2010
Fremont, CA
Im getting phone is not compatible with multi-interface super file

EDIT: I was getting: "phone is not compatible with multi-interface super file" in RDS Lite 4.7. With the patch provided somewhere here it didnt even recognize my device as connected.
I installed 4.8 and it worked, went right through with the SBF.

Do you think you can post a link to the 4.8 version?

mgalceran

Oct 14, 2010
Hello,

I've been working on this for hours upon hours and I'm ticked. I followed everything just right (to my knowledge) but the 'start' button doesn't appear so I can't move forward. I've updated and re-updated the drivers just to make sure I'm good there, my phone is in pc mode with debugging enabled, but it still isn't working. Please help! Thanks.

darkonion

Aug 27, 2010
Fremont, CA
Hello,

I've been working on this for hours upon hours and I'm ticked. I followed everything just right (to my knowledge) but the 'start' button doesn't appear so I can't move forward. I've updated and re-updated the drivers just to make sure I'm good there, my phone is in pc mode with debugging enabled, but it still isn't working. Please help! Thanks.

Did you patch 4.7? Did you install latest drivers? I am sure you probably did, but just checking.

Have you considered trying the linux method? You should try that. A lot less headache. You don't need linux on your computer. You can use the LiveCD and boot from the CD and go from there.

Terri M

Sep 9, 2010
Kansas
Hello,

Try using newk8600's Ubuntu LiveCD. It's very easy and believe me, it worked wonders for me!

Sent from my DROID2 using XDA App

pbonello

Sep 29, 2009
So my phone is stuck at the Moto boot logo. I want to try this method but I don't know where to get the two firmware files, also my phone is now out of battery and I can't connect it to my computer to charge, and it won't charge in the wall because it just tries to boot. Can someone help?

theecho

Any files needed for the sbf are located at droid2files.com. I will keep the sbf up as long as possible and would recommend downloading and saving this somewhere on your computer. Please let us know if you have any other issues or questions and we will see what we can do to assist.

aplus01

Jul 8, 2008
flavors.me
Thanks for putting this together. It really saved my bacon yesterday. The instructions are great and were really helpful. One shortcoming is that the instructions are aimed at phones that are working rather than phones in distress.

One thing I'd consider adding to the instructions would be that for boot looping phones you'll need to hold down the up key on the physical keyboard before powering on in order to get to the boot loader. Otherwise your computer and also RSD Lite will not recognize you've connected your phone.

Also, for semi-bricked or boot looping phones when RSD does finally list your device it may not be listed as a A955 (mine was not). Instead you may see a device with a model of "S Flash OMAP3630 MI". After the first .sbf installed though my phone displayed the correct device model of A955 in RSD Lite.

theecho

Thanks for putting this together. It really saved my bacon yesterday. The instructions are great and were really helpful. One shortcoming is that the instructions are aimed at phones that are working rather than phones in distress.

One thing I'd consider adding to the instructions would be that for boot looping phones you'll need to hold down the up key on the physical keyboard before powering on in order to get to the boot loader. Otherwise your computer and also RSD Lite will not recognize you've connected your phone.

Also, for semi-bricked or boot looping phones when RSD does finally list your device it may not be listed as a A955 (mine was not). Instead you may see a device with a model of "S Flash OMAP3630 MI". After the first .sbf installed though my phone displayed the correct device model of A955 in RSD Lite.

Thank you for the information. This will be considered for editing.

mgalceran

Oct 14, 2010
So I just tried the Ubuntu method and failed again. The command prompt wasn't recognized. A more detailed version of what I did is posted on that thread. The only thing i can think that maybe messed up is that my sbf file doesnt have those two spaces in its name like the command does ('P2 _USERBLD_ SECURE' before and after the underscores of USERBLD).

aplus01

Jul 8, 2008
flavors.me
@mgalceran

I didn't use the ubuntu method. Finally got the windows method to work. I doubt there would be spaces in the file name but if there are you usually wrap the name in quotes i.e. "file name with spaces"

Sounds like your attempt with RSD Lite was similar to mine in that it didn't recognize your phone. Try rebooting while holding the up key on the keyboard. Then try the steps in the tutorial. RSD should work from there on out.

Good luck

Edit: just saw you got some help with the live CD route.

Sent from my DROID2 using XDA App

SerialKilla

Jan 3, 2010
NY
I have an issue I don't see here,and I fear the worst... I wanted to flash the .sbf,full factory restore to return my D2. Have all necessary files and drivers,ran RSDlite,all went well until bootup,it was at 100%,and just started bootlooping. I have tried every solution I could find on the forums to no avail. Any ideas? Or am officially bricked... Thanks in advance.

newk8600

Aug 19, 2010
Northglenn
The command for the ubuntu method was updated and shouldn't give errors now. If you get errors please post them in the Ubuntu tutorial section here so we can get them answered faster. thanks.

@SerialKilla Have you tried the Ubuntu LiveCD method? It's worth a shot if you haven't. just go here Also make sure the .sbf file you have is the right one and it's the whole thing.

SerialKilla

Jan 3, 2010
NY
The command for the ubuntu method was updated and shouldn't give errors now. If you get errors please post them in the Ubuntu tutorial section here so we can get them answered faster. thanks.

@SerialKilla Have you tried the Ubuntu LiveCD method? It's worth a shot if you haven't. just go here Also make sure the .sbf file you have is the right one and it's the whole thing.

Thanks for the reply. I actually did the x and power mode into recovery,then hit the hourglass button on the keypad,got into factory recovery mode and reset from there and all is good! Ubuntu LiveCD will be what I use next time tho...lol

sikbrik

Oct 7, 2010

Thank you so much to the OP and to aplus01!!! :D I was stuck at moto screen (and I'm a n00b). This extra step was the difference between RSD lite seeing my phone vs. not seeing it. Well, I also had to choose the 'first come first serve' option in the settings on RSD. The only other thing that might help n00bs like me is that my sbf had to be in the root directory on my PC (C:) for it to work. Any other folder and I got a 'fail'.

Thanks so much for this post and the followups that helped me restore my 'brick'. :D

texmex7265

Oct 2, 2010
hey do you guys think a 2.4.5 sbf will ever be released for r2d2 droid 2s? i stupidly tried and flash a rom that didnt work and caused a boot loop. im hoping for a 2.4.5 sbf to be released

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tutorial/Walkthrough for flashing back to stock using RSD Lite (Unrooting a rooted phone by .sbf)

Tutorial Video can be found here... kind of... very close!
    http://www.kimete.com/sbfrsd.html

= = =

The fine print: This information is provided without warranty. I can not be held responsible if you **** up. I simply wrote a walkthrough/tutorial. I did not produce the procedure or the steps. I just simply consolidated all the information into a single place with notes to make things easier to understand and execute. You are welcome to share this information anywhere you want. Please do credit me for writing it. Lastly, please link back to the original site if possible. I try to format the text in such a way that it is more easy to understand. Lastly, I ask that everyone who uses this pays it forward by helping others figure out their own phones. Now on to the procedure.

I am running Windows XP SP3/32bit.

= = =
    Steps 1 and 2 can be skipped. You just need to download the latest version of the SBF file (currently 2.3.20). Link coming soon.

1. Download 2.3.20 SBF file for D2

You can find it here: http://www.iamthewalcs.com/Support-Files/Droid 2 2.3.2 SBF.zip

2. Extract the .zip file and put the .sbf file somewhere where you can easily find it.

3. Download RSD Lite 4.7. (RSD Lite 4.7 is not the same as RSD Lite 4.7.2)
    [RSD Lite 4.9 works as well]

Reference: http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-2-how-tos/4393-how-sbf-flash-droid-2-a.html

RSD Lite 4.9 Here!
    http://droid2files.com/tools/RSD Lite 4.9.zip

New: Download to RSDLite 4.7 with patch.
    http://kimete.com/droid/RSDLite47patch.zip

There is a link to download RSD Lite 4.7 + patch here as well. Includes an installer (.msi) and the patch (.ini).

4. Install the program (rsdlite_4.7.msi) or RSDLite 4.9. Follow instructions until completion.

5. Next, extract the patch (pst_flash.ini) to the Motorola/RSD Lite folder. It'll ask you if you want to overwrite the file. Choose yes. (Don't think you need this for version 4.9, but don't quote me on that).

(My file path to place the file was: My Computer -> C Drive -> Program Files -> Motorola -> RSD Lite)

6. You'll need to have the Motorola Drivers. You probably already have them, but if you don't, you can get them here:

http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-...tware_and_Drivers/USB-and-PC-Charging-Drivers

KalenXI noted that you can't use the same Motorola drivers that you used for root from the other thread. You must use these updated drivers with MotoConnect. Thank you sir!

7. Now would be a good time to back up anything on your SD card to your computer. Plug in your Droid2 to the computer via USB cable. Pull down the notification menu/blind, choose USB connection, and then choose USB Mass Storage Device. Now there should be a removable storage in your "My Computer." Go through your SD card and back up your important things. Probably the DCIM and download folder. You should also make sure that your phone is set up to "Back Up Data." Go to the system menu (the 4 squares icon/button in the lower left), choose Settings, then Privacy, then make sure the "Back up my data" and "Automatic restore" are checked.

8. You now need to put your phone in bootload mode. In order to do so, power down your phone. Slide open your keyboard, hold the "up" key (the arrow closest to the enter button), and power on your phone. You should come up with a black background and text with something along the line of d2.35 and usb okay.

9. Now you can open RSD Lite. Go to your Start Menu, Program Files, and you should see RSD Lite. In the title of the newly open window, make sure the version is 4.7.

Edit: If you opened RSDLite and your device is not showing, you might need to open it as an admin. Go to program files/motorola/rsdlite/sdl.exe, and right cllick and run as an administrator. Reference by JonandRoid. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8000565&postcount=12

10. Wait a few minutes until your device shows in the table. It should say A955, port 1, connected, etc.

11. Toward the top of the window, there is filename/blank field. To the right of it, there is "..." button. Click it. Now find your .sbf with the open window that popped up. Select "Droid2_X6_2.2...SECURE.sbf", or the latest version of your sbf, and press open. Back to the program window, press Start (right next to the "...") Your phone should now start flashing the firmware to the phone. Just let it run it's course. It's going to reboot and start up again. You'll know when it is done when the Progress field in the table of RSD Lite says complete. This may take a little bit. Maybe 5-10 minutes.

After your phone reboots and doesn't get past the boot animation (wait at least 5 or 10 minutes),

a. Turn off your phone
    b. Hold down X on the keyboard
    c. Turn on your phone while continuing to hold X
    d. When you get the Android guy with a '!' in a triangle push the search button on the keyboard (the magnifying glass button, two keys to the left of the space bar)
    e. Select both 'wipe cache' and 'wipe data' from the menu.
    f. Reboot your phone

If you do steps a-f, you probably won't need to do these following steps.
    12. I do not know if this will work or not, but if it does, you guys might not need to do the rest unless you truly do want to fully factory reset your phone. This step is UNCONFIRMED.

To get back onto the Verizon Wireless network, dial *22899 and press send. It should update your phone and you'll be back on the network. (Referenced from ITGuy11 at the link below.)

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7933189&postcount=12

13. Your phone still has everyone on it. You'll probably realize that you now have no 3G or phone service and are roaming. Now you need to Factory Reset your phone. Go to the system menu (the 4 squares icon/button in the lower left), choose Settings, then Privacy, the choose Factory Data Reset. Follow the instructions and agreeing to wipe your phone clean. It will ask you to confirm, and/or ask you to enter your security pin/security pattern. It'll reboot itself and run its course.

14. Your phone will eventually be put back to factory settings. You'll then be greeted by the new user/account wizard. Follow the directions. They'll ask you to program/update your phone, enter in some login info, and then your phone will be back to brand new, just like the day you walked out of the Verizon store, except with the BackUp Manager service, all your applications and contacts will be downloaded back onto the phone!

That's it! That wasn't so bad was it?!

= = =

If you found this tutorial helpful, and would like to do something for me, please donate to my PayPal. I am short on rent by $100 this month. I am a student, and moving to a new place and I need to produce first months rent, last months, and a deposit. I am not expecting to profit from this tutorial. Honestly, I am just doing this to help others. I just need some help with rent this month. All donations are appreciated, even if it is a dollar. If everyone donated even a dollar or two, I'd be set! PayPal info coming soon!

Another edit: PayPal: darkonion@kimete.com

Another quick note, I'll be adding references sometime soon. It is almost 5 in the morning and I want to go to bed!
    This is awesome, thank you. This tutorial and your rooting instructions (with all of the extra clarification) are very helpful. I know it's not much but I am going to try to send a few bucks your way (from one poor college student to another? :)).
    Same thing happened to me! How did you fix it?

Me too.... the problem was that I had a 2.3.2 rom and the above SBF was for 2.3.0

here is the updated SBF = droid2files dot com/tools/VRZ_A955_2.3.20_1FF_01.sbf
    Greetings,

I had Gummy ROM installed on my Droid 2 and decided to flash back to stock for a bit. I downloaded the stock rom 2.1 from Droid Fiend and put it on my SD card. I booted into recovery, mounted system, formated system, wiped cache and data, load ROM from SD and it got stuck. The little progress bar was on the bottom, but it was not moving at all. After about 10 minutes of nothing, I pulled the battery to try again.

Seems like something along there was a mistake...

My D2 would only show the White round "M" and not progress. I booted into the D2.35 bootloader by holding the up arrow and tried to recover by flashing SBF using the steps listed Here. That completed successfully.

However, now it only boots to the white text Bootloader D2.35

On the screen is says:

Boatloader D2.35
    Err:A5,0,70,00,1F

MEM_MAP Blank
    Service Req'd
    Battery OK
    OK to Program
    Connect USB
    Data Cable

I tried to run through the SBF steps a couple more times, but always with the same result. It seems like something is preventing the regular boot and I am stuck in this Bootloader D2.35.

Any clue as to what I should do next?

Thank you for any advice.

Doug M.

I had a very similiar problem to this at one point. This is going to be very vague but there is a button combo you can hold down while booting up so that your computer will still be able to see the phone. Hopefully someone knows what buttons to press or just do it trial and error like I did haha. Once the computer connedted I just spf again and it worked. The on ly difference is what I did was fat fingered some key in bootstrap and formatted the entire system and I did not use the full system sbf. Sorry if this sounds like a run on sentence but I just wanted to give you some hope because if your phone is in the screen you described you should be able to save it. Good luck!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the hope. I can connect to the PC just fine, but using RSD Lite to install the SBF files, leaves me stuck in the bootloader. Hopefully someone will have a recommendation.

Doug M.

Can you boot into the bootloader, and try wipe cache and data...

Hold X and press the power button. Then, when it loads, press the magnifying glass left of the space bar, then wipe data and cache...