[Q] Touch screen not responding

Search This thread

pieinthesky10

Jan 7, 2013
Hi all,

So I have an S3 i9305 sitting around doing nothing. Thought I'd play with it. I had and older build of Miui running on it fine.
Decided to put on CM11, and that's when my issues started. The phone boots, but as soon as I get to any sort of setup screen I can touch anything on the screen. The physical buttons work fine, but the screen isnt.

I flashed a touch CWM and TWRP, both of which loaded fine by I couldnt touch anything.

I flashed back to stock kernel and stock rom
Kernel from - http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3/development-i9305/recovery-odin-flashable-tar-t1971265
ROM from - http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3/development-i9305/roms-updated-17-08-2013-pre-rooted-t1942150

Still unresponsive touch.

Anything else I can try before I write this off as bricked :(

Thanks!

spiderman07

Dec 13, 2012
Hi all,

So I have an S3 i9305 sitting around doing nothing. Thought I'd play with it. I had and older build of Miui running on it fine.
Decided to put on CM11, and that's when my issues started. The phone boots, but as soon as I get to any sort of setup screen I can touch anything on the screen. The physical buttons work fine, but the screen isnt.

I flashed a touch CWM and TWRP, both of which loaded fine by I couldnt touch anything.

I flashed back to stock kernel and stock rom
Kernel from - http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3/development-i9305/recovery-odin-flashable-tar-t1971265
ROM from - http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3/development-i9305/roms-updated-17-08-2013-pre-rooted-t1942150

Still unresponsive touch.

Anything else I can try before I write this off as bricked :(

Thanks!

1 more thing...get the RIGHT firmware from HERE - get the one for your country.....flash that and do a factory reset after it..and wipe cache....
happened to a friend with galaxy ace....but phone was back to normal after flashing stock firmware from samsung.

Last edited:

pieinthesky10

Jan 7, 2013
So I tried some more flashes, no luck.
Took the phone to the local repair place, they told me the screen is broken. They attached a different temp screen and it worked. They attached my screen to a different phone and it didn't work.
Quoted me $189 to replace the screen :(

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

spiderman07

Dec 13, 2012
Dont think so... tired a few from the SamMobile site with no success. The setup screen shows up fine - but cannot continue with the setup as I cannot touch the screen.

so it is a hardware problem....not software - you can flash whatever you like...won't solve it...
if you like the phone consider repairing it...

gidam

Apr 27, 2014
I am having the same problem.
Even after installing new firmware.

The phone boots, screen is working. But the touch is not responding... I also did a factory reset + wipe cache.

Before that it was on CyanogenMod (4.2.2) and the screen was working properly.

What else can I do TT ?

gidam

Apr 27, 2014
I changed the front panel.
And it is working perfectly well...

How can modification to the software affect the hardware and brake the digitizer/touch function ? :confused:

spiderman07

Dec 13, 2012
via kernel man...kernel is the interface between software and hardware....
maybe a frequency or voltage got changed by kernel and something happened....no one can know for sure...

MaxPotatOh

Dec 3, 2013
I changed the front panel.
And it is working perfectly well...

How can modification to the software affect the hardware and brake the digitizer/touch function ? :confused:

When wrong kernel is flashed, the touch sensor get disconnected and unrecongnised by the phone. Thats why the hardware is broken even though correct kernel is flashed afterwards. Best thing to do is replace the screen instead of trying over and over again.

Hope it helps

I use the Samsung GT 19305 LTE myself.