[ROM] [4.4.4] [CyanogenMod 11 by Jcsullins] [DM] [06/12/15]

Search This thread

Sunspark

Sep 7, 2015
Had to wipe the tablet which wasn`t necessary after all. I had signed out of Netflix, and couldn't get back in. Just had the red spinner. This apparently has happened to other Android devices, and they had to be wiped as well. I don't understand the cause of this. Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't fix it. Neither did rebooting the router or complete data reset and reinstalling the OS on the tablet. Figured out a fix after the fact.

Netflix notes:
-Had to install 1.81 of the apk, sign-in, and then update within Google Play. Not sure why. Just an install to open the door as the current Aug 2015 build would not show the sign-in screen. Might be a severe bug. Didn't test with the version on Amazon.
-Unotelly note, don't use intercept DNS port 53 in the router, the webpage won't like it.
-If you use static IP on the tablet instead of DHCP, remember to set the DNS to your unblocker IP not your router, otherwise the webpage won`t like it. The reason for this is because I do mac re-routing using dnsmasq which is DHCP. The rest can stay a normal static setup.

Thought I'd try an updated gapps which is linked on the Cyanogenmod page, http://opengapps.org/ but no go, tptoolbox v42 doesn't recognize this, even with renaming it to a different filename, so users must use either the older kk or pa builds.

An idle thought I have about tptoolbox to wonder if when it creates the partitions if it aligns it to a 4096 boundary in order to speed up reads and writes of the filesystem. I suppose only jcsullins can answer this.

nevertells2

Dec 22, 2011
Sunny Central Florida!!!
Thought I'd try an updated gapps which is linked on the Cyanogenmod page, http://opengapps.org/ but no go, tptoolbox v42 doesn't recognize this, even with renaming it to a different filename, so users must use either the older kk or pa builds.

Not quite sure what you were trying to do here. You said you wanted to try an updated Gapps. I'm having to guess that you already have one of Mr. Sullin's latest CM11 builds installed. If that is the case, why are you using TPTB v42 to try to install a different Gapps? Just go to recovery and flash it. Next time. please include more details so someone can try to answer your question. I can tell you that v42 does not check file names. It actually looks inside the zip to verify the compatibility of the file. I know that folks are having v42 issues with Lollipop builds. They have to install a KK build first and then flash the newer build through recovery.

NT

P.S. One other thing, J.C. Sullin's Jan. 2015 CM11 build has been downloaded over 17,000 times and his June 2015 build now has been downloaded over 7,300 times. Go ahead, try and tell me that the HP TouchPad is not alive and well! These two builds IMHO are stable as hell and the lack of posts to the contrary is a testament to that. The only thing that baffles me is that no one seems to have any comments to make about these builds. So I'll tell you what, all you lurkers out there, if you read this post, just slap a like(click the "Thanks" button) on me so we can at least get some idea of how may of you are out there that still read this thread even if you don't have anything to say. Thanks,

NT

Last edited:

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
Let's not forget two other posibilities, your connection to the internet is via WiFi and your internet connection itself(bandwidth).

NT

even when my connection is stable(running fine on lollipop btw)... youtube stutter at times.. it seems to happen when the video has "buffered" a lot...(I can see the gray progress bar has loaded a lot) then it starts to lag/stutter... tried an old youtube apk and stutter is less but still stutters.

edit: i will try the june release cuz this rom is the most responsive one I have used yet

Last edited:

Nomad1600

Jul 18, 2012
Been on June build since July. No issues with any app. Every once in a while I get tempted to try a lollipop build but then read about Somme minor issue and then I think how stable this ROM and build is and I stay put.

arasarn

Oct 29, 2008
Ottawa
Not quite sure what you were trying to do here. You said you wanted to try an updated Gapps. I'm having to guess that you already have one of Mr. Sullin's latest CM11 builds installed. If that is the case, why are you using TPTB v42 to try to install a different Gapps? Just go to recovery and flash it. Next time. please include more details so someone can try to answer your question. I can tell you that v42 does not check file names. It actually looks inside the zip to verify the compatibility of the file. I know that folks are having v42 issues with Lollipop builds. They have to install a KK build first and then flash the newer build through recovery.

NT

P.S. One other thing, J.C. Sullin's Jan. 2015 CM11 build has been downloaded over 17,000 times and his June 2015 build now has been downloaded over 7,300 times. Go ahead, try and tell me that the HP TouchPad is not alive and well! These two builds IMHO are stable as hell and the lack of posts to the contrary is a testament to that. The only thing that baffles me is that no one seems to have any comments to make about these builds. So I'll tell you what, all you lurkers out there, if you read this post, just slap a like(click the "Thanks" button) on me so we can at least get some idea of how may of you are out there that still read this thread even if you don't have anything to say. Thanks,

NT

I use the June build on both my touchpads. Got both 32gb tablets for 150 or less almost five years ago now. Best return on tech investment I will get in my life probably. JCSullins being the main reason for this.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using XDA Free mobile app

nevertells2

Dec 22, 2011
Sunny Central Florida!!!
even when my connection is stable(running fine on lollipop btw)... youtube stutter at times.. it seems to happen when the video has "buffered" a lot...(I can see the gray progress bar has loaded a lot) then it starts to lag/stutter... tried an old youtube apk and stutter is less but still stutters.

edit: i will try the june release cuz this rom is the most responsive one I have used yet

Have you tried to watch YouTube somewhere else? Like at the library, Mickey "D's" or Starbucks? Is YouTube the only streaming service that stutters?

NT

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
Have you tried to watch YouTube somewhere else? Like at the library, Mickey "D's" or Starbucks? Is YouTube the only streaming service that stutters?

NT

I don't use other streaming services ... I have tried with my 2 routers at home .. my internet is ok as it plays well on all my other devices galaxy s5, a windows tablet, my android tv stick, etc...

I have just flashed evervolv kiktat rom and no stutter as well but the rom is not as good as yours; lacks a lot of features

nevertells2

Dec 22, 2011
Sunny Central Florida!!!
I don't use other streaming services ... I have tried with my 2 routers at home .. my internet is ok as it plays well on all my other devices galaxy s5, a windows tablet, my android tv stick, etc...

I have just flashed evervolv kiktat rom and no stutter as well but the rom is not as good as yours; lacks a lot of features

Yeah, EV is a minimalist style Rom. I would still like to see what happens on another network/ISP besides yours. Remember, we are not seeing many complaints about YouTube stuttering issues with thousands of downloads. BTW, who is your ISP? Also, this is not my Rom, it's J.C. Sullins. And again, YouTube runs fine on Sullin's June, 2015 build on my TP. Only thing I see is ocassional buffering due to network congestion, perfectly normal, especially via WiFi.

NT

Last edited:
Reactions: mpgrimm2

Jayrod215

Mar 2, 2014
Cant connect to wifi

I have tried everything. Clean flash, TPToolbox installing, using 3 different networks, 3 different routers, 3 different wireless security settings, and I can't seem to get this rom to connect to wifi. Regardless of what I do, it simply wont connect to anything. Is nbody else having this problem? What am I doing wrong? Is there some setting I need to have so that it will connect? Im not talking about disconnecting after a long period of use, Im talking about not being able to connect to anything, ever, even at first boot. It will save the credentials, then just sit there, never connects, never obatins IP, never even tries to authenticate. This is infuriating. Someone please help

noseph

Jul 16, 2008
Indian Land, SC
I have tried everything. Clean flash, TPToolbox installing, using 3 different networks, 3 different routers, 3 different wireless security settings, and I can't seem to get this rom to connect to wifi. Regardless of what I do, it simply wont connect to anything. Is nbody else having this problem? What am I doing wrong? Is there some setting I need to have so that it will connect? Im not talking about disconnecting after a long period of use, Im talking about not being able to connect to anything, ever, even at first boot. It will save the credentials, then just sit there, never connects, never obatins IP, never even tries to authenticate. This is infuriating. Someone please help

The only thing that comes to mind is wifi channels. What channel is your router using? The TouchPad does not like channel 11 or above and will not connect.

nevertells2

Dec 22, 2011
Sunny Central Florida!!!

The only thing that comes to mind is wifi channels. What channel is your router using? The TouchPad does not like channel 11 or above and will not connect.

Actually @noseph, it's channel 12(2.4ghz) and above. And then you should only use certain channels, I believe, 1, 6 and 11. A TouchPad will also connect to 5ghz channels. My first inclination would be to install your last known good backup @Jayrod215 or a version of Android that you know connected to WiFi. It could be that your WiFi radio picked the exact time you tried to install this Rom to die. I'm guessing you are talking about Sullin's June, 2015 build since you did not mention the exact build. Also you did not say, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you removed WebOS. If per chance you did not, try connecting with it. I'm am not aware of anyone having issues with WiFi connecting using Sullin's builds. His June, 2015 build has been downloaded over 8 thousand times and his Jan, 2015 over 17 thousand times. If you can connect with WebOS or a different version of Android, then I don't have a clue why your TouchPad won't. Do you get any indication that shows your WiFi is in fact turning on? Look in settings to see if it is in fact on. I suppose you could for test purposes turn security on the router completely off just to see if your TP will connect. That's all I've got.

NT

Jayrod215

Mar 2, 2014
Actually @noseph, it's channel 12(2.4ghz) and above. And then you should only use certain channels, I believe, 1, 6 and 11. A TouchPad will also connect to 5ghz channels. My first inclination would be to install your last known good backup @Jayrod215 or a version of Android that you know connected to WiFi. It could be that your WiFi radio picked the exact time you tried to install this Rom to die. I'm guessing you are talking about Sullin's June, 2015 build since you did not mention the exact build. Also you did not say, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you removed WebOS. If per chance you did not, try connecting with it. I'm am not aware of anyone having issues with WiFi connecting using Sullin's builds. His June, 2015 build has been downloaded over 8 thousand times and his Jan, 2015 over 17 thousand times. If you can connect with WebOS or a different version of Android, then I don't have a clue why your TouchPad won't. Do you get any indication that shows your WiFi is in fact turning on? Look in settings to see if it is in fact on. I suppose you could for test purposes turn security on the router completely off just to see if your TP will connect. That's all I've got.

NT

Interestingly enough, I can't connect to wifi with any rom. Its the most bizarre thing. I still have webOS, and it will connect to anything just fine, so it is not a hardware problem. The touchpad just simply wont connect to anything on android. I used to be running the sullins january build, and I had to reboot the touchpad with wifi off in order to be able to connect after boot, but that rom just stopped connecting one day, and I got in a bootloop trying to fix it, so no backup there. I am trying to run wifi on the june build. I have tried upwards of 5 roms ranging from kitkat to 5.1.1, none can connect. It is not a channel problem, I have tried many different channels on both 5ghz and 2.4 to no success. I have even uninstalled android altogether with acme and reinstalled from scratch, when i do this, i can connect ONCE, but after the first reboot, Im done. Will NEVER connect to anything ever again. It isn't even a security issue with wpa2 or something like that. It wont connect even if there is no security. I click on the network, secured or not, and it will just say saved under the ssid, then sit there eternally and never connect. Even if i click on the network and force connect, it will just sit there. This is what happens on every single rom. I have tried connecting to 3 different routers with 3 different security settings on different channels with 5 different roms. Same result. Its like my wifi driver doesnt get replaced with a new installation of android and it is corrupted or something. I just don't know. Is it possible that it is a problem with my model of touchpad or something? I have the 32GB wifi

nevertells2

Dec 22, 2011
Sunny Central Florida!!!
Interestingly enough, I can't connect to wifi with any rom. Its the most bizarre thing. I still have webOS, and it will connect to anything just fine, so it is not a hardware problem. The touchpad just simply wont connect to anything on android. I used to be running the sullins january build, and I had to reboot the touchpad with wifi off in order to be able to connect after boot, but that rom just stopped connecting one day, and I got in a bootloop trying to fix it, so no backup there. I am trying to run wifi on the june build. I have tried upwards of 5 roms ranging from kitkat to 5.1.1, none can connect. It is not a channel problem, I have tried many different channels on both 5ghz and 2.4 to no success. I have even uninstalled android altogether with acme and reinstalled from scratch, when i do this, i can connect ONCE, but after the first reboot, Im done. Will NEVER connect to anything ever again. It isn't even a security issue with wpa2 or something like that. It wont connect even if there is no security. I click on the network, secured or not, and it will just say saved under the ssid, then sit there eternally and never connect. Even if i click on the network and force connect, it will just sit there. This is what happens on every single rom. I have tried connecting to 3 different routers with 3 different security settings on different channels with 5 different roms. Same result. Its like my wifi driver doesnt get replaced with a new installation of android and it is corrupted or something. I just don't know. Is it possible that it is a problem with my model of touchpad or something? I have the 32GB wifi

Well, I'm as baffled as you are. You have something happening that no one else is having that I am aware of. Just for grins, have you tried an Icecream Sandwich Rom? Or even a CM10 or 10.1 non-DM Rom? The fact that you used ACMEUninstaller2 means that the entire Android partition was reset and all memory was returned to WebOS. Like I said earlier, with the number of downloads of his two latest builds, if there was a WiFi issue, we would be hearing about it. Folks around these forums tend to not say anything unless they have a problem. Sullins has a non-DM CM10.1 build here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=15034. That was probably his best Android build IMHO. Everything works, camera, BT, WiFi, etc. Maybe not as new, sophisticated and fancy as CM11 and 12, but it worked good.

Keep us posted.

NT

theechap

Apr 15, 2012
Houston, TX
Anyone having Google Play Services issues with this build? It started for me a few days ago. I get an error saying that Play Services has stopped. It pops up about every 10 seconds. I've rolled it back to an old version and that seems to fix it, until it auto-updates itself and I have to start over. Very annoying! Is anyone running v8.3 without any issues?

synchron50

Aug 11, 2012
Anyone having Google Play Services issues with this build? It started for me a few days ago. I get an error saying that Play Services has stopped. It pops up about every 10 seconds. I've rolled it back to an old version and that seems to fix it, until it auto-updates itself and I have to start over. Very annoying! Is anyone running v8.3 without any issues?

Started on my TP 6/12 ROM today and yes, I agree, very annoying. How were you able to roll back? I'm trying to roll back to 8.1.15 but it won't let me (installing APK from ES File explorer). I'd rather do that than restore a backed up ROM from 3 weeks ago or so.

Top Liked Posts