[MOD][PROJECT] Pogo Charging Dock

Search This thread

chopper the dog

Oct 17, 2008
The blood bath known as Chicago IL.
I didn't want to clog/hijack THIS THREAD but the pin info and idea was very helpful. After waiting and waiting and waiting for official word of a charging dock that utilizes the pogo pins on the side, I've given up hope. And lets face it if you kill the usb port on this thing "you're screwed". so I really wanted to reduce my usb port usage and utilize a feature that comes with the device.

20120214_175700.jpg

20120214_180022.jpg

20120214_180055.jpg

20120214_184742.jpg

My material list is 8 screws, 46 gauge guitar string, a strip of 1/2" playwood that happened to be ripped down to 2 1/2" in my garage, usb cable, piece of flat 1/8" thick plastic and a tiny bit of solder. The way that I screwed/bent the piece of guitar string gives the perfect amount of spring so that when the device is set both are compressed and make contact with the side of the device.

This was very spur of the moment and took me a half hour to build. And it works brilliantly. Yes I could have spent more time on design and material type and getting proper pogo pins. But I'm lazy and intent of this thread is spark ideas in other peoples heads. So now this masterpiece lives on my nightstand and I drop my galnex in at night and wake up to a full charge in the morning without having to use the usb port.

**edit** The pic of the lockscreen is in landscape using the Team Kang AOKP rom.

good day.

Last edited:

frogskins

Feb 11, 2011
THIS is what I love to see here. Ingenuity. Looks good to me. I am thinking of putting some docks together here this weekend. One for the nightstand and one for the office.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

Reactions: mystichobo

Knolly

Oct 18, 2010
VERY awesome work. I love some hacked together ingenuity for sure, haha. I've had the car and desktop dock on order from Clove since December but I think I'll be cancelling the orders fairly soon and working up something on my own.

irishrally

Jun 13, 2009
California
Love it, nice work. Like you said, you could get some cheap pogo pins off digikey, but I like the character of your design.

Zane_Grey

Nov 7, 2011
Going to have to try this over the weekend. What is the third pin for on the phone?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

jonnyg1097

Oct 1, 2010
Toronto
I love this, but I got some questions I'd like answered before attempting this.

1.For those of us without guitar string, would a paper clip bent into proper shape work well too?

2. What cable is that, that you were using just a power cord or was that usb?

3. You said it just sits on your night stand so does that mean you cant transfer data to your computer?

Also a video just going over it more or perhaps some more pics of the back there would be nice (at least for me) to see what is screwed around the screw. :)

machiz7888

Jun 11, 2010
I love this, but I got some questions I'd like answered before attempting this.

1.For those of us without guitar string, would a paper clip bent into proper shape work well too?

2. What cable is that, that you were using just a power cord or was that usb?

3. You said it just sits on your night stand so does that mean you cant transfer data to your computer?

Also a video just going over it more or perhaps some more pics of the back there would be nice (at least for me) to see what is screwed around the screw. :)

1. no idea, sorry. Check out the pogo pins though.
2. Thats a power cable, a usb would have a wire for data.
3. the pins don't transfer any information (well... the middle one does, but not anything useful to a pc) so transferring stuff would be impossible. (but thats what wifi is for)

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
One thing I would recommend is cutting out an area at the bottom of the phone so that you COULD attach a USB, OTG, or MHL cable if need-be. Perhaps that side of the dock could be shaped like a B, or notched to also allow access to the headphone port.

I would also maybe split out the power connection to a microUSB port to power MHL or other accessories. Or maybe just wire up a fullsize female USB to power another unit such as a bluetooth headset or whatever. It just would be nice to have a powered USB port just in case.

To the guy above, sure it may not look perfect but a coat of paint would spruce it up very well.

Overall A+

I might try my hand at something like this. I'm a cheap ass when it comes to buying crap for phones (since I go through them often). I have all the materials already with the exception of spare guitar strings but the paperclip idea sounds great and can be bent to size. I have some Poplar wood in my basement that would even look good with a heavy clear coat.

jonnyg1097

Oct 1, 2010
Toronto
One thing I would recommend is cutting out an area at the bottom of the phone so that you COULD attach a USB, OTG, or MHL cable if need-be. Perhaps that side of the dock could be shaped like a B, or notched to also allow access to the headphone port.

I would also maybe split out the power connection to a microUSB port to power MHL or other accessories. Or maybe just wire up a fullsize female USB to power another unit such as a bluetooth headset or whatever. It just would be nice to have a powered USB port just in case.

To the guy above, sure it may not look perfect but a coat of paint would spruce it up very well.

Overall A+

I might try my hand at something like this. I'm a cheap ass when it comes to buying crap for phones (since I go through them often). I have all the materials already with the exception of spare guitar strings but the paperclip idea sounds great and can be bent to size. I have some Poplar wood in my basement that would even look good with a heavy clear coat.

I am thinking of attempting this as well. Except I dont have the wood to spare for this, so I am trying to look for a generic stand on ebay that would be possible to modify to fit at the least the pogo pins and at the most everything you mentioned. Because it would be a MHL adapter built in and ready to go.

wookaru

Jan 12, 2012
Nice Job! Very creative use of guitar strings in lieu of pogo pins! I might have to try something like this...

chuckdz3

Oct 23, 2010
Naptown
I am thinking of attempting this as well. Except I dont have the wood to spare for this, so I am trying to look for a generic stand on ebay that would be possible to modify to fit at the least the pogo pins and at the most everything you mentioned. Because it would be a MHL adapter built in and ready to go.

I'm looking for something generic too, something that came to my mind was some kind of business card holder. Just a thought I'd throw out there.

adam6806

Feb 6, 2012
Kingsland
DUCT TAPE! (j/k) Gorrilla glue/super glue will work if you drill a small enough of a hole.

Or even some kind of poxy to hold it there. I might have to run to the Lego Store at the Mall of America to go buy me some Legos to build me a stand! :p

Lol! Soo tempting to make a duct tape stand HA! I so totally need to restring my guitar and I already have some new strings.... (yells at wife) HONEY WHERE'S THE DUCT TAPE!!

jonnyg1097

Oct 1, 2010
Toronto
For those looking for generic stands, I saw some on ebay that were just acrylic kinda in an "S" shape sort of deal that looked like could hold the nexus fully and was pretty modifiable.

frogskins

Feb 11, 2011
Although than running a particular rom, has anyone found a way to get the GNex in to landscape mode while on a dock? I did a quick search and didn't find anything. On my D1 I used a magnet placed in a particular spot to force it into dock mode.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I didn't want to clog/hijack THIS THREAD but the pin info and idea was very helpful. After waiting and waiting and waiting for official word of a charging dock that utilizes the pogo pins on the side, I've given up hope. And lets face it if you kill the usb port on this thing "you're screwed". so I really wanted to reduce my usb port usage and utilize a feature that comes with the device.

20120214_175700.jpg

20120214_180022.jpg

20120214_180055.jpg

20120214_184742.jpg

My material list is 8 screws, 46 gauge guitar string, a strip of 1/2" playwood that happened to be ripped down to 2 1/2" in my garage, usb cable, piece of flat 1/8" thick plastic and a tiny bit of solder. The way that I screwed/bent the piece of guitar string gives the perfect amount of spring so that when the device is set both are compressed and make contact with the side of the device.

This was very spur of the moment and took me a half hour to build. And it works brilliantly. Yes I could have spent more time on design and material type and getting proper pogo pins. But I'm lazy and intent of this thread is spark ideas in other peoples heads. So now this masterpiece lives on my nightstand and I drop my galnex in at night and wake up to a full charge in the morning without having to use the usb port.

**edit** The pic of the lockscreen is in landscape using the Team Kang AOKP rom.

good day.
    MacGyver would be proud :D

Terminators run on Android :cool:
    THIS is what I love to see here. Ingenuity. Looks good to me. I am thinking of putting some docks together here this weekend. One for the nightstand and one for the office.

In an attempt to over simplifying this, is it just a matter of being able to keep the wires that come out of the wall outlet in place to where the pogo pins are so it can charge that way?
    In an attempt to over simplifying this, is it just a matter of being able to keep the wires that come out of the wall outlet in place to where the pogo pins are so it can charge that way?

Dude, are you serious...?
    Offcoarse you dont plug your phone directly into a wall socket, you fry it within miliseconds...
    Maybe finish preschool before attempting to mess with electricity!