Compass Issues

Search This thread

LiquidSolstice

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 17, 2008
So, I'm having issues with my compass.

It is consistently 45 to 90 degrees off (I notice it whenever I'm using Google Maps and centered on my location as opposed to navigation).

This is my first RMA'd device (but I did not RMA my first one specifically for the compass).

I've tried this "figure 8" gesture, and I've also tried the compass calibration within GPS Status. I'm sort of fed up with this. I have no idea how to fix it, and it's extremely annoying when I'm out in the city and I just want to know what direction I'm looking and what is in front of me/near me.

Any ideas?

dia_naji

Aug 29, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
So, I'm having issues with my compass.

It is consistently 45 to 90 degrees off (I notice it whenever I'm using Google Maps and centered on my location as opposed to navigation).

This is my first RMA'd device (but I did not RMA my first one specifically for the compass).

I've tried this "figure 8" gesture, and I've also tried the compass calibration within GPS Status. I'm sort of fed up with this. I have no idea how to fix it, and it's extremely annoying when I'm out in the city and I just want to know what direction I'm looking and what is in front of me/near me.

Any ideas?

Posted in the wrong section. Nonetheless, have you tried a factory reset or re flash ?

LiquidSolstice

Jan 17, 2008
Posted in the wrong section. Nonetheless, have you tried a factory reset or re flash ?

No, it's not the wrong section. This isn't a support question, it's a discussion of the compass issues I'm experiencing. As the forum title states, this section is for discussion, and tips/tricks. The "any ideas?" I added to the end does not make it a discussion, it invites people to contribute. Not that I don't appreciate your help, please don't take it that way.

A factory reset has not helped. It is consistent over many ROMs, including bone-stock. Eventually, it evens out, temporarily, and then it skews itself again, always counter-clockwise.

dia_naji

Aug 29, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
No, it's not the wrong section. This isn't a support question, it's a discussion of the compass issues I'm experiencing. As the forum title states, this section is for discussion, and tips/tricks. The "any ideas?" I added to the end does not make it a discussion, it invites people to contribute. Not that I don't appreciate your help, please don't take it that way.

A factory reset has not helped. It is consistent over many ROMs, including bone-stock. Eventually, it evens out, temporarily, and then it skews itself again, always counter-clockwise.

Oops, I did not read " any ideas ?" so my apologies. My friend had the same issue and he did an RMA. They told him it was an issue with the GPS. It was strange becuase his would go up to 98 C in less than 5 minutes. Got his device back about a month a go and never had that issue again.

Reactions: LiquidSolstice

LiquidSolstice

Jan 17, 2008
Oops, I did not read " any ideas ?" so my apologies. My friend had the same issue and he did an RMA. They told him it was an issue with the GPS. It was strange becuase his would go up to 98 C in less than 5 minutes. Got his device back about a month a go and never had that issue again.

:( I hope I don't have to RMA to fix it. Navigation works fine because I think it uses speed and vectors to determine where I am moving, but the Maps part is just a tad annoying.

I definitely don't have heat issues though, so I'm happy about that. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

apoorv24

Jul 7, 2011
Even I have the same issue with my N5... but since I don't use maps a lot, I don't think I'll RMA it just for this reason even though it is annoying...

LiquidSolstice

Jan 17, 2008
Even I have the same issue with my N5... but since I don't use maps a lot, I don't think I'll RMA it just for this reason even though it is annoying...

That seems to be the conclusion I'm arriving at.

I know the N4 had a compass fix, I'm not sure if the N5 will get one.

morningglory

Oct 6, 2013
I have the same problem. Neither calibration nor factory reset helps. Several compass apps report "abnormal magnetic field strength". A few weeks ago I rebootet the phone and suddenly it worked correct. But after the next reboot it stopped working again. No matter how often I reboot the phone now, the compass just stays broken.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Mine was off too, but after calibrating with https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2 it works as it should.