Will my unlock code work after update?

Search This thread

kicker22004

Mar 28, 2008
OnePlus 9 Pro
I have the RW version and unlocked with the China man... My question is once I take the OTA will it relock my bootloader?? And if I relock it can I use the same code to unlock it again? And last can I still use the sbf file on this phone or must I manually flash the partitions? Thanks guys

Sent from my XT1049 using xda app-developers app

The Tallest

Jul 25, 2013
I've been wondering this too. The last phone I had (Google Galaxy Nexus) was unlocked and rooted running CM 10.1 and then CM 11 so it never received the OTA's. But mine and my wife's Moto X Developer Editions are both unlocked and rooted but running stock 4.4.2.

As I understand it we'll still receive OTA's correct? Once we do there is a chance they will lock back up and we'll lose root correct? The reason I say chance is because both phones are setup through Titanium to "attempt" to keep root and I know it doesn't always work.

I'm assuming the bootloader gets relocked? If it does how do we go about unlocking and rooting them again? Will the codes we got from Motorola work or do we need to go through the entire process of unlocking then rooting?

Sorry for the newb questions. Like I said, every phone I ever unlocked and rooted I put custom ROMs on them so I never got the OTA's.

kicker22004

Mar 28, 2008
OnePlus 9 Pro
Yeah I've read about it going to relock if I do it.. But can a ota update relock it.. And if it did.. Will my code still work.

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Yes, you can flash using either RSDLite or fastboot/mFastboot

If you do relock your bootloader, yes the same code will work to unlock it later.

And... already said here -> http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51363645&postcount=394
[*]Taking future OTA's will not re-lock your bootloader, however you will need to have stock recovery on your phone, and revert any modified system files, i.e. get back to "stock" or nearly stock, in order to install OTA's, just like those with Developer Edition phones have to do. (this is due to the OTA updates containing a manifest file that lists files and their "check sums" it looks for on your phone before it starts. If they are not on your phone, or the ones on your phone don't match the expected check sum, the OTA install will fail.)

[*]Flashing with RSDLite will not re-lock your bootloader

[*]Only manually re-locking via the relock process (moto has on the Dev Edition web site, it is fastboot oem lock ) will re-lock your bootloader.

Last edited:

The Tallest

Jul 25, 2013
So, I'd need to reinstall all the bloatware that came on the phone originally? That's pretty much all I took off the phone was all of Verizon's crap that I'll never use nor have any interest in. The only other thing I did was edit the navigation keys out using the build.prop, but that's easy enough to turn back on. My phone as well as my wife's are stock aside from the removal of the bloatware and taking the nav keys out of my phone.

kicker22004

Mar 28, 2008
OnePlus 9 Pro
Thanks kid. I've just read mixed messages about bricking my device from ota updates and sbfs. Thanks again.

KidJoe

Aug 23, 2008
So, I'd need to reinstall all the bloatware that came on the phone originally? That's pretty much all I took off the phone was all of Verizon's crap that I'll never use nor have any interest in. The only other thing I did was edit the navigation keys out using the build.prop, but that's easy enough to turn back on. My phone as well as my wife's are stock aside from the removal of the bloatware and taking the nav keys out of my phone.
When it comes to taking OTA's, yes.

Inside the OTA is a manifest file. It contains a list of files and their check sums it expects to be on your phone. If the files are missing, or the check sum for a particular file doesn't match (because you've replaced or altered the file), the OTA will fall. Because of this, you must be "stock" (or as close to stock as possible). Any bloat you deleted, needs to be put back. Any files you altered (like build.prop) need to be reverted. Any apps you froze with Titanium Backup or the like, may need to be unfrozen.

Apps disabled via the phone's Settings -> Applications -> [select app] -> [disable] can remain disabled and should not impact the update.

---------- Post added at 06:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 AM ----------

Thanks kid. I've just read mixed messages about bricking my device from ota updates and sbfs. Thanks again.

Yes, there are some cautions and warnings about bricking... They usually relate to if you've taken 4.4.2 and try to downgrade your rom to 4.4 or lower. Or if you flash only parts of a rom using mFastboot and get into a state when you have "mixed" versions on your phone...

Due to changes in the bootloader included with the 4.4.2 Update, under certain circumstances when trying to downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.4 or lower, you could either brick your phone, or set it up to brick in the future when you take an upgrade. So it is suggested you just stick with what is on your phone once you get on 4.4.2.

The Tallest

Jul 25, 2013
When it comes to taking OTA's, yes.

Inside the OTA is a manifest file. It contains a list of files and their check sums it expects to be on your phone. If the files are missing, or the check sum for a particular file doesn't match (because you've replaced or altered the file), the OTA will fall. Because of this, you must be "stock" (or as close to stock as possible). Any bloat you deleted, needs to be put back. Any files you altered (like build.prop) need to be reverted. Any apps you froze with Titanium Backup or the like, may need to be unfrozen.

Apps disabled via the phone's Settings -> Applications -> [select app] -> [disable] can remain disabled and should not impact the update.

---------- Post added at 06:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 AM ----------

Well damn, I'm kind of screwed then as I deleted all those dumbass Verizon apps that I have no use for and didn't bother making backups of any of them. I'll have to check the "Apps" folder and see if the .apk files are still there so that Google Play can redownload them at some point.

I don't even think the backup I made via TWRP has them. Although I think Motorola's website does have the system image so I can probably just reflash that when the next OTA comes out.

KidJoe

Aug 23, 2008
Well damn, I'm kind of screwed then as I deleted all those dumbass Verizon apps that I have no use for and didn't bother making backups of any of them. I'll have to check the "Apps" folder and see if the .apk files are still there so that Google Play can redownload them at some point.

I don't even think the backup I made via TWRP has them. Although I think Motorola's website does have the system image so I can probably just reflash that when the next OTA comes out.
TWRP.. then you have an unlocked bootloader? If so, you do have the option to flash the SBF to revert to stock, or unzip it and just mfastboot flash system.img onto your phone, because you can always re-root later.

The Tallest

Jul 25, 2013
TWRP.. then you have an unlocked bootloader? If so, you do have the option to flash the SBF to revert to stock, or unzip it and just mfastboot flash system.img onto your phone, because you can always re-root later.

Yes, my boot loader is unlocked. That's good to know that I can do that, thanks.

Last edited:

kicker22004

Mar 28, 2008
OnePlus 9 Pro
Wait... Did I miss read that... You can flash sbf in TWRP?? sorry but I've been on Gnex and haven't had a moto since the droid x... Things have changed a bit.

KidJoe

Aug 23, 2008
Wait... Did I miss read that... You can flash sbf in TWRP?? sorry but I've been on Gnex and haven't had a moto since the droid x... Things have changed a bit.

Yes, you miss read.. I was saying that he could just flash the SBF (implying RSDLite) or unzip it and mfastboot flash "part"

because being unlocked he could still root afterwards

kicker22004

Mar 28, 2008
OnePlus 9 Pro
OK that's what I thought. Thanks again for the info..looks like I'll sit tight with my unlocked bootloader until RW gets 4.4 update.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes, you can flash using either RSDLite or fastboot/mFastboot

If you do relock your bootloader, yes the same code will work to unlock it later.

And... already said here -> http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51363645&postcount=394
    [*]Taking future OTA's will not re-lock your bootloader, however you will need to have stock recovery on your phone, and revert any modified system files, i.e. get back to "stock" or nearly stock, in order to install OTA's, just like those with Developer Edition phones have to do. (this is due to the OTA updates containing a manifest file that lists files and their "check sums" it looks for on your phone before it starts. If they are not on your phone, or the ones on your phone don't match the expected check sum, the OTA install will fail.)

[*]Flashing with RSDLite will not re-lock your bootloader

[*]Only manually re-locking via the relock process (moto has on the Dev Edition web site, it is fastboot oem lock ) will re-lock your bootloader.