[INFO/APPS] How to Block Ads [NO ROOT/ ROOT]

Which one worked the best?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Ex-Hunter

Sep 4, 2013
Are you sick and tired of Ads taking up the precious real estate of your screen?:mad:
Do you find yourself mistakenly clicking on an Ad only to find that you're downloading something you don't want?:mad::mad:
Are you worried about the risks to your privacy/security posed by Ads?:mad::mad::mad:

If you answered Yes! Damn yes!!! to the questions above, look no further, here are two great apps that will solve this problem for you.:cool:

:confused:If you're worried that you're going to need root access, dont worry. I've something for non-rooted droids as well!;)

Before you embark on your Ad-less voyage you've to allow installation of apps from unknown apps first.
Don't know how ? Its easy. Just head over to Settings>Security>Unknown Sources. Just tick that check box right over there.

AdAway[ROOT]

AdAway is open source and is what I use on my phones and tablet. It blocks ads on browser as well as on apps by modifying your hosts file.
  1. Download AdAway from here and install it.
  2. Open the app and click on 'Download files and apply ad blocking' and reboot when the dialog boc pops up.
  3. Thats it, you're done!:good:
Bonus Tip: @BSDgeek_Jake has made a super hosts file. To use it,go to Hosts sources and click on 'ADD'. and paste this address http://adblock.mahakala.is/. Remember to thank him here when you are done. :victory::highfive:

AdFree[ROOT]

AdFree works the same way as AdAway i.e, by modifying Hosts file. You can use it if AdAway isn't working or you.
Find the latest version here.

Adblock Plus[NO-ROOT]

Adblock Plus is a good alternative for non-rooted devices. It'll block ads everywhere. It does its magic by using a proxy.
  1. Download and install the apk that you get from here.
  2. If you don't have root you need to go here and learn how to setup a proxy manually.
  3. Configure the proxy and you're good to go!:good:
The downside with non rooted device is that you can filter ads only while you're on a wifi connection. It doesn't work with data connection :(
Bonus Tip: If you use Firefox for android, you can install adblock plus extension from add-ons to block ads while browsing. This will work on data too! But remember it blocks apps only on the browser not on apps.:victory::highfive:

There are other apps that does the same thing, but in my opinion these two are the best.
When you are done, come back here and tell me which one worked best for you. :good::good::good:

Last edited:

DAVI FELICIANO

Jul 4, 2014
i rooted today when adway ask to reboot i accept and after the boot i open it and he start downloading and ask me dor reboot again now im using another app

(Sorry my bad english)

Sent from my XT1025 using Tapatalk

mrpkarthik

Nov 27, 2012
Salem,TamilNadu
Try this out

http://adfree.bigtincan.com/adfree.apk
:good:
images

Reactions: DAVI FELICIANO

mrpkarthik

Nov 27, 2012
Salem,TamilNadu
@DAVI FELICIANO and @mrpkarthik Added AdFree to OP. Are there any other apps you recommend?

Most of the Android users using Adfree(requires Root) to block unwanted ads..
Highly recommended app for Rooted Users

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

I dont know any more app cause im noob

(Sorry my bad english)

Alternate App https://adblockplus.org/en/android-install :good:

Ex-Hunter

Sep 4, 2013
If you have root, why bother installing an app, you can instead, just flash over an updated hosts file...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1916098
MoAB is good but it's a huge file and frankly I don't see the difference.
It also isn't updated frequently, so you may see ads slipping in.
By using an app like AdAway you can add hosts sources which are up-to-date.
Also, you can build your own list easily in apps like AdAway and if you want you can directly add the to-be -blocked IP address to the hosts file.
You can't do all this if you simply flash a hosts file.

mits619

Aug 23, 2012
Kerala
Unbeloved Hosts xposed module can also block ads if you have problem with other apps

Sent from my XT1022 using XDA Free mobile app

ss4micky

Nov 13, 2014
New Delhi
Ad blocking on mobile network

You can use UC- browser for blocking ads on mobile network. It has a default add on for ad blocking in it. But since i'm rooted, adaway works better for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Are you sick and tired of Ads taking up the precious real estate of your screen?:mad:
    Do you find yourself mistakenly clicking on an Ad only to find that you're downloading something you don't want?:mad::mad:
    Are you worried about the risks to your privacy/security posed by Ads?:mad::mad::mad:

If you answered Yes! Damn yes!!! to the questions above, look no further, here are two great apps that will solve this problem for you.:cool:

:confused:If you're worried that you're going to need root access, dont worry. I've something for non-rooted droids as well!;)

Before you embark on your Ad-less voyage you've to allow installation of apps from unknown apps first.
    Don't know how ? Its easy. Just head over to Settings>Security>Unknown Sources. Just tick that check box right over there.

AdAway[ROOT]

AdAway is open source and is what I use on my phones and tablet. It blocks ads on browser as well as on apps by modifying your hosts file.
    1. Download AdAway from here and install it.
    2. Open the app and click on 'Download files and apply ad blocking' and reboot when the dialog boc pops up.
    3. Thats it, you're done!:good:
    Bonus Tip: @BSDgeek_Jake has made a super hosts file. To use it,go to Hosts sources and click on 'ADD'. and paste this address http://adblock.mahakala.is/. Remember to thank him here when you are done. :victory::highfive:

AdFree[ROOT]

AdFree works the same way as AdAway i.e, by modifying Hosts file. You can use it if AdAway isn't working or you.
    Find the latest version here.

Adblock Plus[NO-ROOT]

Adblock Plus is a good alternative for non-rooted devices. It'll block ads everywhere. It does its magic by using a proxy.
    1. Download and install the apk that you get from here.
    2. If you don't have root you need to go here and learn how to setup a proxy manually.
    3. Configure the proxy and you're good to go!:good:
    The downside with non rooted device is that you can filter ads only while you're on a wifi connection. It doesn't work with data connection :(
    Bonus Tip: If you use Firefox for android, you can install adblock plus extension from add-ons to block ads while browsing. This will work on data too! But remember it blocks apps only on the browser not on apps.:victory::highfive:

There are other apps that does the same thing, but in my opinion these two are the best.
    When you are done, come back here and tell me which one worked best for you. :good::good::good:
    Can you tell me which app you're using now?
    An app called Adfree hos icon is a shield with a umbrella

(Sorry my bad english)