Use Android Phone as NFC Tag?

Search This thread

Nightskill

Feb 8, 2010
Hello there,

is it possible to use my HTC One X as an NFC Tag?

My goal is to scan a normal NFC Tag (1k) with my phone and store the informations. And then I'll provide this informations with my phone, so an other NFC Reader can read the informations stored on my phone.

Greetz

Reactions: DanieVDM

iankellogg

Jun 9, 2010
It is possible as the NXP chip most likely used by the HTC (and known to be in Nexus S/galaxy) can be put into card emulation mode but the current kernel does not support it. There has been at least one user that has gotten it to work on the Nexus S.

Bardamuz

Apr 21, 2012
Singapore
Hello there,

My goal is to scan a normal NFC Tag (1k) with my phone and store the informations. And then I'll provide this informations with my phone, so an other NFC Reader can read the informations stored on my phone.

Greetz

Hi i believe NFC ReTag will do the trick , or at Least NFC TagReader , can also be use as ask … but that will depend on what you will store in … as you didn’t say it ican’r help you more at this stage.

hope that help

Reactions: jarnow94

Mustang46L

Oct 27, 2006
York, PA
Hello there,

Greetz

I'd really like to do the same thing.. but haven't had any success in finding a way to do that. I would personally love to scan my work badge and use my phone instead of my badge which I commonly leave at home. It would also be great for hotels where I commonly lose my hotel key and could instead use my phone.

Any advice on these being a possibility. Any additional information I need to provide. I personally have the HTC EVO 4G LTE and my wife has the Nexus S 4G that I could use.

Reactions: Zainano

okz19

Nov 14, 2010
card emulation

try NFClassic.apk its in the android market, i cannot confirm it works but it appears to and i will test it tomorrow, it recognises my work card it picks up 2 tags, one will be door access and the other is canteen credit, (the app doesnt tell you this, but i know there 2 parts to the card, as i recently cancelled a card then found it, and can no longer access doors with it, but can still use it in the canteen) anyway the app reads the card and asks if you want to save the info, save it, the you will see it under saved tags click the tag, and click share tag, it then appears to emulate the tag as a card so it can be read by a nfc card reader, but i dont have a reader to confirm this, but i will try it tomorrow night at work to see if the doors accept it, ill let you know my results

and if anyone else know of any apps that can definatley emulate cards on galaxy s 3 let me know ! the more software i can try at work the more likely ill find one that works, i only got my s3 yesterday and have been of work so havnt tested any app, but NFClassic is the only one that appears to emulate my card.

note the app cannot write cards, only has options to write contact to card but when tried it force closes. i would definatly like to be able to write to card if at all possible ( free lunch :p copy card when it has credit , when run out of credit, re-write info = credit again :) its gotta be possible somehow ! )

Last edited:

LoveNFC

May 14, 2012
try NFClassic.apk its in the android market, i cannot confirm it works but it appears to and i will test it tomorrow, it recognises my work card it picks up 2 tags, one will be door access and the other is canteen credit, (the app doesnt tell you this, but i know there 2 parts to the card, as i recently cancelled a card then found it, and can no longer access doors with it, but can still use it in the canteen) anyway the app reads the card and asks if you want to save the info, save it, the you will see it under saved tags click the tag, and click share tag, it then appears to emulate the tag as a card so it can be read by a nfc card reader, but i dont have a reader to confirm this, but i will try it tomorrow night at work to see if the doors accept it, ill let you know my results

and if anyone else know of any apps that can definatley emulate cards on galaxy s 3 let me know ! the more software i can try at work the more likely ill find one that works, i only got my s3 yesterday and have been of work so havnt tested any app, but NFClassic is the only one that appears to emulate my card.

note the app cannot write cards, only has options to write contact to card but when tried it force closes. i would definatly like to be able to write to card if at all possible ( free lunch :p copy card when it has credit , when run out of credit, re-write info = credit again :) its gotta be possible somehow ! )
You can try, but it's probably not going to work.

ascsa

Oct 25, 2011
Hi i believe NFC ReTag will do the trick , or at Least NFC TagReader , can also be use as ask … but that will depend on what you will store in … as you didn’t say it ican’r help you more at this stage.

hope that help

NFC ReTag can´t do that ... but a lot of other cool stuff :D

nokios

Apr 12, 2010
Norristown, PA
This didn't even occur to me til I saw this thread. I will be trying with my work badge since I occasionally forget mine as well...

I am still deciding between getting the S3 and the EVO 4G LTE. Leaning towards evo... but haven't played with the s3 yet.

Reactions: jonrobertd

Nizda1

Nov 12, 2011
I don't have your HTC, although there's documented info for the nexus s where devs were successful in emulating mifare most of the code is still on dev android. Its not full reigns of emulation but depending on your level of tech you can do some pretty cool stuff. I don't know how far this has gone but I remember people getting some functionality on new galaxy. Check out the link.

http://techshek4u.blogspot.com/2012/01/applying-card-emulation-patch-to_03.html

Zanith

Mar 31, 2010
How does google wallet do it? Doesn't that emulate a secure card?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Nizda1

Nov 12, 2011
What I was just referring to was emulation how I perceived the op was looking for. Example you use a card at work to open a door and wanted to emulate that so you could use your phone instead. However with gwallet or say paywave then you'd need to have the secure key which obviously wouldn't just be given out otherwise you would be able to emulate anyone's card. Hence the secure element. Then it would be ridiculously insecure. Ex. If I took a friends paywave and was able to emulate it then now I in theory just stole their credit card :). It's also why gwallet won't work without a secure element like on my sgs2.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

Reactions: heardamir

TNIxeye

Apr 28, 2009
WOW interesting topic

I don't have your HTC, although there's documented info for the nexus s where devs were successful in emulating mifare most of the code is still on dev android. Its not full reigns of emulation but depending on your level of tech you can do some pretty cool stuff. I don't know how far this has gone but I remember people getting some functionality on new galaxy. Check out the link.

http://techshek4u.blogspot.com/2012/01/applying-card-emulation-patch-to_03.html

anyone trythis

ive seen the video after flashing and kinda dissapointed
bcos they cannot prove that nexus s can be the nfc tag anyway they donk have the reader too to test it

Reactions: Juzm

hayashiyuuzen

Jun 27, 2012
Hmmm...

Hey guys.. i went searching in the marketplace for an app that does just that (emulate a RFID)...
And... I FOUND ONE!It's called NFC Classic Tag Reader

It was able to read my cards and apparently emulate it but i have no idea if it works cause my door does not detect it... and i have no other NFC devices...
I'm using a SHS-5120 door lock... and that only registers the serial no of the tags programmed and allows only those to enter...

Read on the comments that ICS users are not getting it to work but previous 2.3.3 user reviewed that it was working like a charm...

Oh and i'm using a S3... which of course is ICS...

fordiy

Jun 14, 2012
I reckoned Google Wallet will store something into the mobile NFC chip. Make the phone like a RFID card or tag.

I also noticed some Korean telecom operators has their apps integrated on the Android phones which have the Membership card, Voucher, Credit card etc. functionality. That means the NFC enabled phone can be acted as RFID card or tag.

Is there anyone know where we can find the source code sample from Google development website we could look into this kind of project?

nfc_

Jul 4, 2012
Anyone any luck with being able to push/publish his phone as a card? Like for instance with doors?
We have Mifare Classic cards which open doors, reading the card isn't a problem, but being able to emulate your phone as a card has proven to be more difficult..
How does one turn his phone into 'beacon mode' (being able to receive the door's power boost and return card info) ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    definately not going to work. Your phone may be able to read the write command, and save this as a file, or whatever. But you will need a different approach if you want to actually emulate the card.

This is false. These systems are based on the UID of the NFC card. The vast majority of access systems for schools and places of work don't write anything onto the card. They simply make an association in their backend system with that person's user account and the UID of their NFC card.

Because of this, it is indeed possible to get your phone's NFC chip associated with your account instead of a NFC card. However, the issue with Android is that your phone generates a random UID with each NFC interaction. This means that, once the security guy swipes your phone to associate it with your account, the UID will change the next time you swipe it. The only way to fix this and get a static UID would be to enable card emulation. This was done in the Nexus S with custom firmware a while ago, but has not been repeated on any other phones. If you are able to enable card emulation, your phone will emulate a generic Mifare NFC card with a static UID, and you would then be able to replace your door access card with your phone (in most cases).

It would be insane to allow phones to emulate this, then everybody would ride the train for free, enter storage areas with other ppl's tag etc.

You might be able to recharge this yourself if you get a card r/w for your PC. Depends how pro the cantina solution is.
    Phones can't emulate specific UIDs, not because of software limitations, but because of hardware. There are other solutions out there, such as the Proxmark 3, which allows UID cloning. The Proxmark 3 makes it very easy to clone school, university and place of work access cards, as most of these rely purely on UID association.

Here in England, trains, buses etc don't work with the system you've described, and I'd imagine it's the same for most other countries. The data (money stored, top-ups, money deducted) is written to the card in real time. Of course these types of cards have higher levels of security through the use of secret access keys. Without access to these secret access keys, you can't dump the data from an Oyster card, for example. You therefore cannot simply duplicate an Oyster card with your phone, unless the issuer provides you with the access keys or you manage to crack them on your own.
    HID scanners

I tried nfclassic and that didn't work I'm also looking for NFC card emulation

I just wanted to weigh in and let everyone know that I do the security at my work and I was successfully able to get the Nexus 4 to be scanned by the HID scanner. It passed an ID back to the access control and I was able to set it up under my profile. I can now gain access with my phone to the same places as my badge. I tried to do the same on a Samsung Galaxy S III and it generated a random "ID" for the access control server and I wasn't able to set it up.

-Kr@w

-UPDATE:
    I was also successful setting it up for a EVO 4g LTE. This is big since the Nexus 4 uses a Broadcom chip and the EVO 4g LTE uses a NXP chip as far as I can tell. This in my mind points to it possibly being software that causes a random id each time. Just my 2 cents.
    Hi everyone,

I recently update my app NFC Tools, and I added a tag emulation feature in the PRO version.
    It's a start, and this is a beta feature, so please be indulgent ^^

nfctools.preview.4.15.png

It works with most devices, but some of them don't work together, I don't know why but I think it's a hardware problem.
    So I created this Google Form if you want to send me your tests for I try to list the devices which have problems or not.

http://goo.gl/forms/QetokVxDa5J82T4n2

Feel free to send me your feedback.
    I thought that you needed the key in order to read all of the sectors & blocks. So, there is a key exchange between the card and reader meaning that it is a lot harder to copy the card entirely, leaving it somewhat useless.

I've been following this thread wondering to my self how long it would take to for someone to finally explain the reason card emulation is difficult on Android devices. Kudos!...yes, the encryption keys are needed to read the encrypted info on the card, for the most part...However, there is a way to dump just raw data from the MiFare Classic card and a way to retransmit, or emulate, this data with the NFC chip on Android without the keys. However, as a previous post states, the problem with emulation is that the NFC chip changes the UID, it's not static. One does need reprogram the firmware, or ROM, of the NFC chip to enable card emulation. I'll find the article I found related to this and throw it in this post a bit later...It's quite the study though! If someone wants to throw some code out for some custom firmware flashing by all means. And even more props if anyone is able to actually flash it on the chip itself (it would require the right testing and development platform and tools of course).

Most devices folks are using carry a NXP brand NFC chip. However, if you are the proud owner of a device with a NXP PN65 NFC chip, it has an embedded SmartMX chip, so you can forget firmware mods; it is a secondary security element that has no pins or contacts on the outside, which means it cannot be flashed.

Interestingly though, the Nexus S has the SmartMX, and it is one of the phones listed in this thread that has effectively emulated the MiFare Classic.

Oh, and a note to any security pros: If success with a project such as this stirs your buckets, then you know what to do...develop a method that is more secure. As you know, any worthy security measure must withstand penetration and hold it's own. Just sayin'

From The Q, Of Course

Live the life you love, Love the life you live
    tried this w/my card and no luck reading it w/several nfc apps. however, the door reader will beep when i try my phone on it. so i think door readers use a different frequency for security. makes sense.

If they were operating at a different frequency then your phone likely wouldn't be recognised.

None of you will get your phones to open your doors. Google have not provided access to card emulation mode, so there's nothing for the door readers to read. Somebody here on XDA claimed that they wrote an application to send NDEF messages containing the data on their access cards and that this worked for doors etc, but they didn't share this app so I'm not sure how true that is.