[Tutorial] Rooting the Sprint GalaxyS3 the Easy Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

icelus1

Apr 29, 2012
Houston
HOLY CRAP--this method was stupid easy! Like many others, I was nervous, especially coming from my old phone (HTC EVO Shift) that was a nightmare to root. The instructions are perfect and I was up and running with root access in around ten minutes.

THANK YOU!!!!

Reactions: Skunk Ape1

Z_Black

May 13, 2011
www.zlbphotography.com
Thanks for this guide! I have rooted everyone of my Android phones I've had thus far and fairly comfortable following directions, but am definitely not an expert. Guides like this are awesome and make me feel even more comfortable when doing so. Seeing the easy to follow directions and realizing it really isn't very risky or hard always helps.

So like many others, a big thank you for collecting the information and putting it into this guide.

Reactions: Skunk Ape1

Shawna75

Jan 26, 2013
Cincinnati
newbie whose nervous

I have always wanted to try and root my S3 but I'm not all that techie and I'm really thinking I'd mess my phone up for good. Is this pretty easy to get? I'm so tired off waiting for the update that's going around everywhere but the US and wanna get brave enough to root to get it. Any help our advice? I'd really appreciate it!

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
Re: [Beginners Guide] Rooting the Sprint GalaxyS3 the Easy Way

I have always wanted to try and root my S3 but I'm not all that techie and I'm really thinking I'd mess my phone up for good. Is this pretty easy to get? I'm so tired off waiting for the update that's going around everywhere but the US and wanna get brave enough to root to get it. Any help our advice? I'd really appreciate it!

It is very easy to do. But to tell you the truth, I would be careful of updating before an official update is released for Sprint. You can't use the update for the international version phones on your Sprint phone or you will end up with a paperweight.

Reactions: VECTUS and Shawna75

backer728

Feb 7, 2013
When I try to copy the TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery folder to my phone, I get maybe 10% into it and an error 5 minutes later. Any suggestions?

udayse

Oct 29, 2008
Crashes after rooting

Hi,
While I do enjoy the easy rooting, I have to say, I have experienced a lot more application crashes after rooting my phone. Sometimes my radios are also slow, that I have to reboot. Sometimes even just turning off and on data connection helps.

I never had these issues before rooting.

:(

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen

Hi,
While I do enjoy the easy rooting, I have to say, I have experienced a lot more application crashes after rooting my phone. Sometimes my radios are also slow, that I have to reboot. Sometimes even just turning off and on data connection helps.

I never had these issues before rooting.

:(

It has nothing to do with rooting.

caileb

May 11, 2011
I've been having a difficult time obtaining root on my device.

When I tried a couple months ago, I was getting stuck

Code:
<ID:0/005> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> CF-Auto-Root-d2spr-d2spr-sphl710.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> recovery.img

And just recently, Odin says the following:

Code:
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> 
<ID:0/004> Removed!!
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> There is no PIT partition.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I am using the stock USB cable that came with my phone... and I have attempted on all my USB ports - even on the back of my box.

Any other suggestions?

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen

I've been having a difficult time obtaining root on my device.

When I tried a couple months ago, I was getting stuck

Code:
<ID:0/005> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> CF-Auto-Root-d2spr-d2spr-sphl710.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> recovery.img

And just recently, Odin says the following:

Code:
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> 
<ID:0/004> Removed!!
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> There is no PIT partition.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I am using the stock USB cable that came with my phone... and I have attempted on all my USB ports - even on the back of my box.

Any other suggestions?

The stock cord is junk. Also try to redownload the files they could be corrupted.

BigMosley

Aug 19, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3

Hey I currently have an EVO 4G LTE but will be getting an S3 this week. My only question right now is when I get the new in box S3 is it OK I take the latest OTA update? (Jellybean?) I will be looking into rooting and what not soon so I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by taking the updates. With HTC if you take ANY OTAs your likely screwing yourself so I'm wondering if the S3 is the same? Thanks for your help!

Sent from my Blazing fast LTEvo!

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen

Hey I currently have an EVO 4G LTE but will be getting an S3 this week. My only question right now is when I get the new in box S3 is it OK I take the latest OTA update? (Jellybean?) I will be looking into rooting and what not soon so I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by taking the updates. With HTC if you take ANY OTAs your likely screwing yourself so I'm wondering if the S3 is the same? Thanks for your help!

Sent from my Blazing fast LTEvo!

This root guide will work fine on the update. Go ahead and update, then come back here and get your root on. :D

Reactions: BigMosley

caileb

May 11, 2011
I'll pick up another cable Tuesday. Will keep you posted. Having an unrooted phone is painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mods, please lock this thread.
    As a TOTAL noob: appreciate the easy explanation! Waiting to do this myself, but have a few quick questions first. I've done a lot of reading up on rooting but I'm still not entirely clear on a few things so I'm hoping someone can explain it to me like I'm five:

1. Can I accept over-the-air updates from Sprint on a rooted phone? i.e. when they push Android 4.2. If not, do I unroot and reroot to update? Do I have to uninstall everything?

This is not going to be a straight up yes or no answer. If an update comes ota to your phone, you will be able to receive it providing you:

1. reflash stock recovery before accepting it.
    2. haven't flashed a custom rom
    3. haven't removed any required software. The ota will look for certain software and files. if the required software and files aren't present the ota will fail

None of this should concern you though. There are ALWAYS ways to get the updates while being rooted

2. Is there something I need to install after doing this? I previously rooted an HTC EVO and remember having to install Superuser immediately after. Anything similar here? Looking to ultimately run wifi tether so any advice toward that end would be greatly appreciated.

These instructions seem like you are doing many things. You aren't. There are really only 5 steps. I just broke all the steps down in detail. Really all this is:

1. Downloading all the files to your computer
    2. Installing your Samsung Drivers to your computer
    3. Copying one file to your phones sd or external sd card. (Team_Epic Root_From Recovery)
    4. Flashing CWM Recovery to your phone with Odin.
    5. Flashing TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v5.zip with CWM Recovery

The Team Epic File that you are flashing in recovery installs superuser, busy box, and in addition removes two files needed to make recovery stick.

3. I'm a little confused about rooting/flashing and some basic definitions. Are they the same thing? I hear a lot about CyanogenMod - what is it and is it coming into play here?

Rooting is really nothing more than giving you the user, the right to access root or system files. It has very little to do with flashing as you can flash updates with stock recovery.

Flashing is simply installing something in a tar, img, or zip format. tar files are flashed with Odin, zips are flashed from recovery and img files are flashed or pushed with adb (Android Debug Bridge)or fastboot.

Cyanogen is a rom. roms are very simply the phones operating system and user interface. They're called roms because their files are kept on read only memory. There are many roms out there for our phone.
    Will this work with the latest update and does it wipe data?

It will not wipe any data and can be used to root any version android on the Sprint gs3.
    Virgin S3

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but I didn't spot it in the 30-something pages: I just wanted to report that this method works perfectly on the Virgin Mobile incarnation of the Sprint Galaxy S3. No problems at all.
    -s