How fast is Qi charging?

Search This thread

Felchy

Jun 25, 2011
Winnipeg
I received the Nillkin Magic Disk charger I ordered a few days ago.

It's the first wireless charger I have owned or tried. I have the disk connected to what is supposed to be a 5V / 2A adapter.

It took 7 hours to fully charge my Nexus 5 from 6% with the Magic Disk. This seems like way to long to me and if it's normal, this severely limits the usefulness of wireless charging. Neither the charger nor the phone seemed to get warm at all during charging

How fast is wireless charging supposed to be? Does this vary between different types of Qi chargers?

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg

It's the first wireless charger I have owned or tried. I have the disk connected to what is supposed to be a 5V / 2A adapter.

It took 7 hours to fully charge my Nexus 5 from 6% with the Magic Disk. This seems like way to long to me and if it's normal, this severely limits the usefulness of wireless charging. Neither the charger nor the phone seemed to get warm at all during charging

How fast is wireless charging supposed to be? Does this vary between different types of Qi chargers?

Should be much faster than that, about half an hour longer than stock wired charging with the Nexus 5 adapter/cable.

~2.5 to a little over 3 hours depending on the charger.

If you are using a decent 2A adapter with your charger, it may be your USB cable. Some cables out there are quite crap and despite using a high amp adapter will keep the settings as USB (as if you're plugged into a computer port) and charge at around 500mA max if you're lucky.

In your case, the USB cable may be doing that, and severely underpowering your Qi charger, which will end up charging your phone at like 300 - 350mA. Stock wired by the way charges at ~1050mA by comparison. This could explain why your charge times are over 3x as long.

If you have your stock USB cable that came with your Nexus 5, try testing it with that to see if there is an improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Felchy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Should be much faster than that, about half an hour longer than stock wired charging with the Nexus 5 adapter/cable.

~2.5 to a little over 3 hours depending on the charger.

If you are using a decent 2A adapter with your charger, it may be your USB cable. Some cables out there are quite crap and despite using a high amp adapter will keep the settings as USB (as if you're plugged into a computer port) and charge at around 500mA max if you're lucky.

In your case, the USB cable may be doing that, and severely underpowering your Qi charger, which will end up charging your phone at like 300 - 350mA. Stock wired by the way charges at ~1050mA by comparison. This could explain why your charge times are over 3x as long.

If you have your stock USB cable that came with your Nexus 5, try testing it with that to see if there is an improvement.