[Q] Nexus 7 Dynamic WiFi 802.1X EAP (PEAP+MSCHAPv2) Not connecting

Search This thread

jonnyg000

Jul 19, 2012
Seacoast, NH
Overview: Using stock Nexus 7 to connect to wireless network; not acting like pre-ICS devices.

Can connect using my EVO4G (CM7.2) and my TF101 (Revolver 3.7), using the "WiFi Advanced Configuration Editor" tool on the market.

For the above devices, the WiFi SSID shows as "Work" (Secured with WEP), with WiFiAdvanced on the device, i would:
1) In Settings/Wireless & Networks: select the network: "Work" (Secured with WEP)
2) enter some garbage text as the key, click connect
3) turn off/on the WiFi
4) open WiFiAdvanced and select the "Work" connection and change the settings (as listed below)
5) then within 5-20 seconds the device would connect (and stay connected) to the network without issue
This procedure is SOP for every non-ICS Android device at the company and works flawlessly.
Additionally, I've used other procedures for attempting to configure the network using the "Add network" button in the Wi-Fi settings area with the same SSID name "Work"; however these settings do not appear to stay in place, as the wireless network "Work" still shows as "Secured with WEP" and will not connect using the 802.1x EAP settings.

However after asking around the office (I work in the Infrastructure team with the Network Admins - one of which has a HTC One X that appears to be having similar connectivity issues to this specific network) turns out that most other ICS devices, and specifically for my new Nexus 7 (Stock 4.1.1, not rooted), the "Work" (Secured with WEP) network is never replaced with the 802.1x EAP version; And after adding the new network or setting up via WiFiAdvanced there is a duplicate "Work" network that shows as "out of range".

On the duplicate network listing, when clicking on the "out of range" "Work" network, it shows Security 802.1x EAP in the details (but no option to Connect). I have more than 2 bars on over 6 WAP's in the distributed wireless network (Cisco wireless devices configured to use rotating keys and assign via DHCP) and have full signal on all my devices.

My Nexus 7 does work very well at my home, running WPA2 (TKIP + AES) at 150MBPS (138mbps reported), and at the coffee shop next to work; leading me to believe it is not a functionality issue with the wireless adapter.

WiFiAdvanced settings for the "Work" network:
SSID:
SSID: Work
BSSID: [no change]
Hidden SSID: [unchecked]
Configuration:
Key Management: [None, IEEE8021X]
Auth Protocols: [Open, Shared]
Group Ciphers: [WEP40, WEP104, TKIP, CCMP]
Pairwise Cipher: [None, TKIP, CCMP]
Security Protocols: [WPA, RSN]
Enterprise Configuration:
EAP: [PEAP]
Phase2: [auth=MSCHAPV2]
Identity: [my domain/username]
AnonymousIdentity: [empty/no-change]
Password: [my domain password]
Client Certificate: [empty]
CA Certificate: [empty]
Private Key: [empty]

Yes, i know there are other threads out there, I've spent the majority of my day researching and testing - to no avail.

Can anyone suggest steps that may assist in getting the Nexus7 able to connect to this network?

UPDATE:
Asof Oct 15, 2012: This issue has been fixed in the 4.1.2 OTA.

Last edited:

crobles81

Jul 19, 2012
Overview: Using stock Nexus 7 to connect to wireless network; not acting like pre-ICS devices.

Can connect using my EVO4G (CM7.2) and my TF101 (Revolver 3.7), using the "WiFi Advanced Configuration Editor" tool on the market.

For the above devices, the WiFi SSID shows as "Work" (Secured with WEP), with WiFiAdvanced on the device, i would:
1) In Settings/Wireless & Networks: select the network: "Work" (Secured with WEP)
3) turn off/on the WiFi
4) open WiFiAdvanced and select the "Work" connection and change the settings (as listed below)
5) then within 5-20 seconds the device would connect (and stay connected) to the network without issue
This procedure is SOP for every non-ICS Android device at the company and works flawlessly.
Additionally, I've used other procedures for attempting to configure the network using the "Add network" button in the Wi-Fi settings area with the same SSID name "Work"; however these settings do not appear to stay in place, as the wireless network "Work" still shows as "Secured with WEP" and will not connect using the 802.1x EAP settings.

However after asking around the office (I work in the Infrastructure team with the Network Admins - one of which has a HTC One X that appears to be having similar connectivity issues to this specific network) turns out that most other ICS devices, and specifically for my new Nexus 7 (Stock 4.1.1, not rooted), the "Work" (Secured with WEP) network is never replaced with the 802.1x EAP version; And after adding the new network or setting up via WiFiAdvanced there is a duplicate "Work" network that shows as "out of range".

On the duplicate network listing, when clicking on the "out of range" "Work" network, it shows Security 802.1x EAP in the details (but no option to Connect). I have more than 2 bars on over 6 WAP's in the distributed wireless network (Cisco wireless devices configured to use rotating keys and assign via DHCP) and have full signal on all my devices.

My Nexus 7 does work very well at my home, running WPA2 (TKIP + AES) at 150MBPS (138mbps reported), and at the coffee shop next to work; leading me to believe it is not a functionality issue with the wireless adapter.

SSID:
Configuration:

Yes, i know there are other threads out there, I've spent the majority of my day researching and testing - to no avail.

Can anyone suggest steps that may assist in getting the Nexus7 able to connect to this network?

I'm afraid this is a Jelly Bean bug and not an issue with your particular device. You can see one of the many bug reports here: h t t p://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=34212 (forum wont let me post links yet :) ). The link provided has a flashable fix that I can confirm works for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, but does not seem to work on the Nexus 7 based on the posts.

We basically have to wait for Google to fix this or for another dev to write a Nexus 7 compatible fix. Lastly, this bug fix is not included in custom ROMs, so you have to run it yourself either way. Very annoying on Google's part to break this.

Reactions: MrSchroeder

jonnyg000

Jul 19, 2012
Seacoast, NH
I'm afraid this is a Jelly Bean bug and not an issue with your particular device. You can see one of the many bug reports here: h t t p://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=34212 (forum wont let me post links yet :) ). The link provided has a flashable fix that I can confirm works for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, but does not seem to work on the Nexus 7 based on the posts.

We basically have to wait for Google to fix this or for another dev to write a Nexus 7 compatible fix. Lastly, this bug fix is not included in custom ROMs, so you have to run it yourself either way. Very annoying on Google's part to break this.

Thanks for the response. That bug looks exactly like the problem.
Apparently this bug has been open for 2 weeks without a fix, not boding well for JellyBean as an iOS competitor.

C

challa3223

i uses wifi tether for root and worked with infuse hspa+

TwinDaddyKev

Apr 26, 2012
Verified permission....still doesn't work

I verified that the wpa_supplicant in /system/bin has the rwxr-xr-x permission.
Still doesn't work the EAP-TLS

cruiklaw

Jul 22, 2012
Nexus 7 Network Configuration problems

From a less technical standpoint, similar issues:
Clear Wireless Internet Service at office and home.
New Nexus 7 16GB tablet.
No problem with initial network configuration at office. I entered the PW in the identified network and was instantly online.
Network at home, also Clear Wireless, with different name and PW, gave me long delay and repeatedly "Authentication Problem" failure. Two other devices (Android phone and Windows laptop) continued to function normally on the home network.
Call center wasted about an hour and wanted me to call the device manufacturer (ASUS) help call center, which I declined to do. Supervisor was better at English but not at network configuration. A trip to the Clear Wireless brick & mortal location and a temp tech rep there resulted in his ordering a new (replacement) modem for home use.
I could not delete or 'forget' the home network on my Nexus 7 to rescan for a new network configuration for the home network.
Took the Nexus 7 to the office and it again signed me on without a problem, but the home network disappeared while many other nearby business networks showed up.
My next step is to take the device back home and hope that a re-scan of the available networks will re-create a home network that will not result in the "Authentication Problem" failure from what I believe to be its faulty configuration that I was previously unable to modify, delete or 'forget'. I assume that "forget" means to delete or remove.
From the process of elimination, it appears to me that the home network configuration that was automatically created by the device is flawed and unless I can remove or re-configure it am at an impasse. Reconfiguration or removal for a re-scan were not available options when first attempted, unless and until, I get it home and am permitted to do so this time, I may have to return the device to Google under warranty.
Any related or similar problems or suggestions from others would be appreciated.
Thanks

jonnyg000

Jul 19, 2012
Seacoast, NH
The bug report has been updated with some permissions info that will make it work for the Nexus 7. :D

In order to apply the "working" patch from the thread, you need an unlocked bootloader with CWR or to manually install the file in the filesystem with "root" (Superuser) access; either way, you're breaking the stock-ness of the device (not a cool thing to do in a corporate environment that prohibits such actions).

In order for most corporate users (which this bug almost exclusively affects) to use any Android 4.1+ device on the WiFi at their offices, Google will need to fix this with an OTA, and FAST.

ravage485

Mar 25, 2012
Yuzhno-Sakhalinski
I can't believe that google still hasn't patched this. They acknowledged the problem over a month ago and have a fix ready, but nothing has been done. I don't want to unlock my bootloader and root my N7 just to fix a stupid wifi bug that google already knows about. Between this and the random touch sensitivity issues all I can say is that google is lucky I'm already past the full refund period, or they would be getting this tablet back.

6opuc

Mar 25, 2006
I can't believe that google still hasn't patched this. They acknowledged the problem over a month ago and have a fix ready, but nothing has been done. I don't want to unlock my bootloader and root my N7 just to fix a stupid wifi bug that google already knows about. Between this and the random touch sensitivity issues all I can say is that google is lucky I'm already past the full refund period, or they would be getting this tablet back.

I am not sure about fix for EAP-TLS. I tried all of the workarounds and it does not work. Perhaps that is why patch is still not issued.

skdzzz

Nov 25, 2010
I am not sure about fix for EAP-TLS. I tried all of the workarounds and it does not work. Perhaps that is why patch is still not issued.

Same problem in my work wifi network with the Nexus 7, my Nexus One and other iphone or android devices working fine.
I do not want to root yet my one day old device to avoid problems with the warranty.

So bad that google does not pay attention to these problems that are really annoying for the new users :/

xPBA

Sep 13, 2012
Managed to get it working

3) turn off/on the WiFi

SSID:
Configuration:

Hope this helps ...
Managed to get nexus 7 connected to 802.11 wifi. So now Nexus 7 automatically switch between home wifi and corporate wifi. To have corporate wifi connectivity I needed to add the CA certificate (Ask your network administrator for it) in the tablet directory structure. No need to root the device for that. just follow instructions at the following instructions:

To install a certificate from your tablet's internal storage:
Copy the certificate or key store from your computer to the root of your device's internal storage (that is, not in a folder).
Go to Settings > Personal > Security > Credential storage > Install from storage.
Touch the filename of the certificate or keystore to install. Only certificates that you haven't already installed are displayed.
If prompted, enter the key store password and touch OK.
Enter a name for the certificate and touch OK.

Typically, a CA certificate included with a client certificate is installed at the same time. You can also install separate CA certificates using the same steps.

If you have not already set a pattern, PIN, or password for your device, you’re prompted to set one up. The type of lock that's acceptable may be predetermined by your system administrator.

You can now use the certificate that you installed when connecting to a secure network or for client authentication with Email, Chrome, and third-party apps. After a certificate is installed successfully, the copy in storage is deleted. (source: support.google.com)

All items as quoted above were entered except for phase 2 item.
Security type: WPA2-enterprise
Network authentication method: PEAP
fast Roaming enabled with PMK caching
Encryption type AES

Lateraltwo

Nov 1, 2010
EAP may work, but not TLS

Hope this helps ...
Managed to get nexus 7 connected to 802.11 wifi. So now Nexus 7 automatically switch between home wifi and corporate wifi. To have corporate wifi connectivity I needed to add the CA certificate (Ask your network administrator for it) in the tablet directory structure. No need to root the device for that. just follow instructions at the following instructions:

To install a certificate from your tablet's internal storage:
Copy the certificate or key store from your computer to the root of your device's internal storage (that is, not in a folder).
Go to Settings > Personal > Security > Credential storage > Install from storage.
Touch the filename of the certificate or keystore to install. Only certificates that you haven't already installed are displayed.
If prompted, enter the key store password and touch OK.
Enter a name for the certificate and touch OK.

Typically, a CA certificate included with a client certificate is installed at the same time. You can also install separate CA certificates using the same steps.

If you have not already set a pattern, PIN, or password for your device, you’re prompted to set one up. The type of lock that's acceptable may be predetermined by your system administrator.

You can now use the certificate that you installed when connecting to a secure network or for client authentication with Email, Chrome, and third-party apps. After a certificate is installed successfully, the copy in storage is deleted. (source: support.google.com)

All items as quoted above were entered except for phase 2 item.
Security type: WPA2-enterprise
Network authentication method: PEAP
fast Roaming enabled with PMK caching
Encryption type AES

I see that your authentication works, but for example, my school uses CA certs for their 801.11x network that work with TLS as a phase 1.
Successfully installing the CA cert and properly identifying the signal do absolutely nothing for my tablet other than give it an authentication loop.
Have tried multiple times at re-installing the certificate to see if it was just not done right the first time to no avail.
It's the TLS authentication library on the device (at least that's what the code.google bug report page says).

kthung

Apr 25, 2011
I'm not sure if this will really help those of you at work, but I was having authentication issues on my home network as well. I discovered that I was able to get around the authentication bug by connecting via WPS (Wifi protected setup). Just go to wifi settings and hit the symbol that looks like two arrows in a circle. If your router supports WPS it should have a button with the same symbol. Just press and hold until a light comes on and you should be able to connect just fine.

jonnyg000

Jul 19, 2012
Seacoast, NH
Not sure if it's related but after updating to 4.1.2 I can connect to my work wifi now that uses 802.1x with PEAP=MXCHAPv2. FINALLY!

Yup, the 4.1.2 OTA fixed it :highfive: .. only took the Android team 3+ months to release a patch after root cause was identified.. how agile of them..:cowboy:

'Tis a shame corporate has since banned the use of N7's for business use because of the WiFi issue in Stock 4.1.1. :silly:
I just had to submit a re-eval request on 4.1.2+ in order to stop blocking the N7 MAC's from the network.. ( that should only take about 1-4 MORE months to get the device re-reviewed, approved, and enabled.. yay :eek: ).

joe_the_mean

Nov 9, 2012
I am confused on how you got your Nexus 7 fixed. My work's wifi network also uses Dynamic WEP 802.1x, but even after updating to V4.1.2 I still can't connect. (Although I could with my old Galaxy Tab running V2.2)

Encryption: WEP
Security: 802.1X EAP
EAP Method: PEAP
Phase 2: MCHAPv2

The network shows up as "Secured with WEP", but if I try to create an identically named network with 802.1x settings (or start with a bogus password for WEP and try to use the WifiACE app to add the 802.1x settings), I still just end up with an identically named network that is always "Not in range".

What did you do after the V4.1.2 update to get it to work?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

3) turn off/on the WiFi

SSID:
    Configuration:

I am still having this problem with 4.2 on my Nexus 7. Has everyone in this thread already solved this?

As of 4.2.2, Google still has not replaced the broken driver.

Follow the link below for more details:

code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=36284