[Tutorial] Rooting the Sprint GalaxyS3 the Easy Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
I previously had the Galaxy S1 (Epic) and went through several custom ROMs before finally going back to a stable release with root because of dissatisfaction with the ROMs. My phone never really returned to perfect functionality after this experimentation, and always had some buggy glitches and many FC's. Now that I have a perfectly running GS3 with Android 4.1, I would love to be able to wifi tether and install apps like adblock and Titanium Backup Pro, but I am hesitant because of my past experience.

Do you think there is any reason at all that simply doing this root procedure would change the functionality of my perfectly smooth-running GS3?

I also had the og epic. I know your pain. This phone is light years ahead of it and the roms are much more stable. I run wicked sensations and it is as stable and reliable as the software that came with the phone.

That being said, rooting your phone should have no effect on it's stability.

Last edited:

amadeo38

Dec 10, 2010
Gainesville, FL
Thanks man!

In an earlier post, you mention that if we wanted to accept the 4.2 update (assuming we will get this eventually) we would have to re-flash to stock recovery. How does one go about doing that?

Last edited:

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
Thanks man!

In an earlier post, you mention that if we wanted to accept the 4.2 update (assuming we will get this eventually) we would have to re-flash to stock recovery. How does one go about doing that?

I will provide the stock recovery if needed. It is already posted in several places here. I will also add the stock recovery zip to the root kit. To go back to stock recovery you will just flash the zip in custom recovery.

Reinstalling stock recovery is only one method of updating. There will most likely be 4 or 5 different methods to get your update. Some of which you will be able to do without removing root or custom recovery.

When it comes time to update, I will make a thread very much like I did at AC. Click here for sample of what to expect.

Last edited:

Binary Droids

Apr 11, 2012
Dunnellon, FL
binarydroids.com
Thanks OP for this quick and easy guide. Not new to the Android scene, but just got my S3 today and got root on the first try with your guide. It's a little awkward trying to hold all three buttons at once as I'm coming from an S2 and only had to hold two, but it's doable. Again, THANKS! :victory:

Reactions: Skunk Ape1

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
Thanks OP for this quick and easy guide. Not new to the Android scene, but just got my S3 today and got root on the first try with your guide. It's a little awkward trying to hold all three buttons at once as I'm coming from an S2 and only had to hold two, but it's doable. Again, THANKS! :victory:

Yup... the most common mistake people make is letting their phones reboot before flashing the team epic file in recovery.

amadeo38

Dec 10, 2010
Gainesville, FL
Have you been able to use wifi tether with this root? I cant get the wifi tether app(s) to work (wifi tether or barnacle) with any of their settings (i tried every combination).

Just wondering if all roots are equal or if this root could be different than others or if it is a product of JellyBean (Android 4.1.1) not being compatible with wifi tether apps just yet?

Last edited:

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
Have you been able to use wifi tether with this root? I cant get the wifi tether app(s) to work (wifi tether or barnacle) with any of their settings (i tried every combination).

Just wondering if all roots are equal or if this root could be different than others or if it is a product of JellyBean (Android 4.1.1) not being compatible with wifi tether apps just yet?

It has nothing to do with the root process. It is JellyBean, Wifi tether doesn't work with JellyBean unless you have the hacked version of wifi tether found HERE

Last edited:
Reactions: jstn76rs

amadeo38

Dec 10, 2010
Gainesville, FL
I stumbled across this modded wifi tether shortly after my last post and it didn't work at first until I installed the SuperSU program from the Play Store.

Thanks for your help again.

ThisIsDanial@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2009
Brooklyn
Ahh thanks for the great guide SkunkApe but I have 1 question..

I'm a complete idiot and tried to root at 3 in the morning and I'm half asleep and I didn't realize that the option "F. Reset Time" was still checked and I clicked Start on Odin. I started to panic after about a minute because your guide says it should only take about 10-20 seconds to get that Success message. Anyways after 2 minutes and 5 seconds I got the message and proceeded to flash TWRP recovery and start up my phone. Everything works fine and I see I have Superuser as well. My question is should I re-root since I messed up the initial process or should I just leave it be and thank god nothing happened? Lol thanks again.

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
Just turn off phone. Boot into recovery by pressing power up, volume and home keys simultaneously and releasing all when you see Samsung. If you boot into twrp or cwm (the root kit came with cwm) your recovery stuck and you should be ok. If you boot into stock recovery you will have to start over.

You can check your root with an app from the play store called root checker.

If you are rooting for wifi hotspot, you will also need to install SuperSU, also available for free at the play store. Then go here for the hacked tether app. hacked version of wifi tether found HERE

Last edited:

ThisIsDanial@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2009
Brooklyn
Just turn off phone. Boot into recovery by pressing power up, volume and home keys simultaneously and releasing all when you see Samsung. If you boot into twrp or cwm (the root kit came with cwm) your recovery stuck and you should be ok. If you boot into stock recovery you will have to start over.

You can check your root with an app from the play store called root checker.

If you are rooting for wifi hotspot, you will also need to install SuperSU, also available for free at the play store. Then go here for the hacked tether app. hacked version of wifi tether found HERE

Hmmm... I have superuser installed and everything and I did use the root checker app and it did verify I had root access. But then I downloaded Titanium Backup and Rom Toolbox and they both said they couldn't attain root access. I then went to update superuser and after it downloads the new binary it fails because it can't get root access. I also just rebooted into recovery and it went back to CWM recovery. Looks like the TWRP recovery didn't stick when I flashed it last night. Any ideas on what I should do now? :/ Sorry for being a noob lol.

EDIT: Ran root checker app again and this time it tells me I don't have root access. :/ Remind me not to try and root a brand new GS3 while I'm half asleep -______-

Last edited:

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
Hmmm... I have superuser installed and everything and I did use the root checker app and it did verify I had root access. But then I downloaded Titanium Backup and Rom Toolbox and they both said they couldn't attain root access. I then went to update superuser and after it downloads the new binary it fails because it can't get root access. I also just rebooted into recovery and it went back to CWM recovery. Looks like the TWRP recovery didn't stick when I flashed it last night. Any ideas on what I should do now? :/ Sorry for being a noob lol.

EDIT: Ran root checker app again and this time it tells me I don't have root access. :/ Remind me not to try and root a brand new GS3 while I'm half asleep -______-

Yup... You will have to start over. Remember to uncheck auto reboot and make sure you flash root from recovery in recovery before you allow your phone to start. Our it won't stick.

BTW... the root kit comes with cwm not twrp. If you want to flash twrp that's fine but you need to get the team epic root from recovery flashed. You can worry about flashing twrp after getting your root to stick.

ThisIsDanial@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2009
Brooklyn
Yup... You will have to start over. Remember to uncheck auto reboot and make sure you flash root from recovery in recovery before you allow your phone to start. Our it won't stick.

BTW... the root kit comes with cwm not twrp. If you want to flash twrp that's fine but you need to get the team epic root from recovery flashed. You can worry about flashing twrp after getting your root to stick.

Ahh so I'll do the process over again. And yea its Team Epic why in the hell do I keep saying TWRP -___-. Wow. What a day lol. You think I should do a factory data reset and set it back to stock and then try again? Or just try to root again having my phone as is? :eek: Thank you so much by the way :) You're great!

EDIT: I did the rooting process over again, (the correct way this time lol) and still no root access. Maybe I do have to factory reset and try again.

Last edited:

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
Ahh so I'll do the process over again. And yea its Team Epic why in the hell do I keep saying TWRP -___-. Wow. What a day lol. You think I should do a factory data reset and set it back to stock and then try again? Or just try to root again having my phone as is? :eek: Thank you so much by the way :) You're great!

EDIT: I did the rooting process over again, (the correct way this time lol) and still no root access. Maybe I do have to factory reset and try again.

Here's what you should be doing.

1. Put recovery.tar on in folder on desktop.
2 put team epic root from recovery in your phones sdcard.
3. Uncheck auto reboot.
4. Check pda.
5. Click in the pda block. Browse to the folder on your desktop and select recovery.tar recovery.tar
6. Pull the battery cover from your phone.
7. Starting with your phone off and unplugged, press and hold volume DOWN, power and home it will give you a warning then released all and press volume UP.
8. Plug your phone into the computer.
9. If it shows com and a number in the id com block press start. Should only take around 5-8 second and the message should say something like disconnected.
10. Take the battery out of the phone and unplug it.
11. Reinstall the battery press volume UP, power and home simultaneously until you see Samsung on the screen and release all 3. This is where i think you are messing up. If you're early or later in releasing the phone will start and you will not be rooted.the phone CAN'T be allowed to start until team epic is flashed in cwm. If the phone goes into cwm flash team epic root from recovery. When done then you can restart.

ThisIsDanial@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2009
Brooklyn
Here's what you should be doing.

1. Put recovery.tar on in folder on desktop.
2 put team epic root from recovery in your phones sdcard.
3. Uncheck auto reboot.
4. Check pda.
5. Click in the pda block. Browse to the folder on your desktop and select recovery.tar recovery.tar
6. Pull the battery cover from your phone.
7. Starting with your phone off and unplugged, press and hold volume DOWN, power and home it will give you a warning then released all and press volume UP.
8. Plug your phone into the computer.
9. If it shows com and a number in the id com block press start. Should only take around 5-8 second and the message should say something like disconnected.
10. Take the battery out of the phone and unplug it.
11. Reinstall the battery press volume UP, power and home simultaneously until you see Samsung on the screen and release all 3. This is where i think you are messing up. If you're early or later in releasing the phone will start and you will not be rooted.the phone CAN'T be allowed to start until team epic is flashed in cwm. If the phone goes into cwm flash team epic root from recovery. When done then you can restart.

I did that 3 times and I still wasn't getting root access. Trust me I followed your instructions to the TEE. I just got fed up and factory resetted then tried to root again and everythings working fine now. Thank you for all your help Skunk Ape. Sorry for the trouble lol.

Jnapier

Nov 16, 2012
JellyBean 4.1.1

Skunk,

When I was running 4.0.4 I was able to root but I pulled down the OTA to 4.1.1 and now I've lost root. I'm following your toolkit and everything makes perfect sense with the exception of how to put the phone into download mode. It appears that with the update there is a new android recovery. "Android system recovery <3e>.

I'm wondering if this is a result of my previous rooting or of the update.

I have the following options from here

apply update from ADB
apply update from external storage
wipe data/factory reset (does not wipe down to 4.0 stays at 4.1)
wipe cache partition
apply update from cache

Any suggestions?

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
Skunk,

When I was running 4.0.4 I was able to root but I pulled down the OTA to 4.1.1 and now I've lost root. I'm following your toolkit and everything makes perfect sense with the exception of how to put the phone into download mode. It appears that with the update there is a new android recovery. "Android system recovery <3e>.

I'm wondering if this is a result of my previous rooting or of the update.

I have the following options from here

apply update from ADB
apply update from external storage
wipe data/factory reset (does not wipe down to 4.0 stays at 4.1)
wipe cache partition
apply update from cache

Any suggestions?

What you are seeing is stock recovery. First you have to use odin to flash CWM.

You are confusing recovery with download mode.

Download mode is achieved by pressing and holding "volume down, power button and the (physical) home button simultaneously. You will continue to hold all 3 buttons until you see a warning. Then press the volume up button and you will be in download mode.

While in download mode, you will use odin to flash CWM recovery to your phone. Until then you will have the stock android recovery.

Do not check auto reboot. As soon as you flash cwm recovery with odin, you will need to pull the battery to shut down the phone. and puill the cord from your phone. DO NOT LET THE PHONE BOOT. IF YOUR PHONE BOOTS BEFORE FLASHING TEAM EPIC ROOT FROM RECOVERY IN CWM YOU WILL HAVE TO START OVER.

Then you will go straight into CWM recovery (which you just flashed in odin) and flash "Team Epic Root From Recovery"

Recovery mode is achieved pressing and holding "volume UP, power button and the (physical) home button simultaneously. Watching the screen closely, release all 3 buttons as soon as you see the word Samsung. If timed correctly it will boot into recovery in about 10-20 seconds (after releasing). Remember if you are too early or late the phone will boot normally and skip recovery.

Last edited:

Jnapier

Nov 16, 2012
What you are seeing is stock recovery. First you have to use odin to flash CWM.

You are confusing recovery with download mode.

Download mode is achieved by pressing and holding "volume down, power button and the (physical) home button simultaneously. You will continue to hold all 3 buttons until you see a warning. Then press the volume up button and you will be in download mode.

While in download mode, you will use odin to flash CWM recovery to your phone. Until then you will have the stock android recovery.

Do not check auto reboot. As soon as you flash cwm recovery with odin, you will need to pull the battery to shut down the phone. and puill the cord from your phone. DO NOT LET THE PHONE BOOT. IF YOUR PHONE BOOTS BEFORE FLASHING TEAM EPIC ROOT FROM RECOVERY IN CWM YOU WILL HAVE TO START OVER.

Then you will go straight into CWM recovery (which you just flashed in odin) and flash "Team Epic Root From Recovery"

Recovery mode is achieved pressing and holding "volume UP, power button and the (physical) home button simultaneously. Watching the screen closely, release all 3 buttons as soon as you see the word Samsung. If timed correctly it will boot into recovery in about 10-20 seconds (after releasing). Remember if you are too early or late the phone will boot normally and skip recovery.

one of those days. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mods, please lock this thread.
    As a TOTAL noob: appreciate the easy explanation! Waiting to do this myself, but have a few quick questions first. I've done a lot of reading up on rooting but I'm still not entirely clear on a few things so I'm hoping someone can explain it to me like I'm five:

1. Can I accept over-the-air updates from Sprint on a rooted phone? i.e. when they push Android 4.2. If not, do I unroot and reroot to update? Do I have to uninstall everything?

This is not going to be a straight up yes or no answer. If an update comes ota to your phone, you will be able to receive it providing you:

1. reflash stock recovery before accepting it.
    2. haven't flashed a custom rom
    3. haven't removed any required software. The ota will look for certain software and files. if the required software and files aren't present the ota will fail

None of this should concern you though. There are ALWAYS ways to get the updates while being rooted

2. Is there something I need to install after doing this? I previously rooted an HTC EVO and remember having to install Superuser immediately after. Anything similar here? Looking to ultimately run wifi tether so any advice toward that end would be greatly appreciated.

These instructions seem like you are doing many things. You aren't. There are really only 5 steps. I just broke all the steps down in detail. Really all this is:

1. Downloading all the files to your computer
    2. Installing your Samsung Drivers to your computer
    3. Copying one file to your phones sd or external sd card. (Team_Epic Root_From Recovery)
    4. Flashing CWM Recovery to your phone with Odin.
    5. Flashing TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v5.zip with CWM Recovery

The Team Epic File that you are flashing in recovery installs superuser, busy box, and in addition removes two files needed to make recovery stick.

3. I'm a little confused about rooting/flashing and some basic definitions. Are they the same thing? I hear a lot about CyanogenMod - what is it and is it coming into play here?

Rooting is really nothing more than giving you the user, the right to access root or system files. It has very little to do with flashing as you can flash updates with stock recovery.

Flashing is simply installing something in a tar, img, or zip format. tar files are flashed with Odin, zips are flashed from recovery and img files are flashed or pushed with adb (Android Debug Bridge)or fastboot.

Cyanogen is a rom. roms are very simply the phones operating system and user interface. They're called roms because their files are kept on read only memory. There are many roms out there for our phone.
    Will this work with the latest update and does it wipe data?

It will not wipe any data and can be used to root any version android on the Sprint gs3.
    Virgin S3

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but I didn't spot it in the 30-something pages: I just wanted to report that this method works perfectly on the Virgin Mobile incarnation of the Sprint Galaxy S3. No problems at all.
    -s