Review of UAG Note 2 Case with lots of pictures!

Search This thread

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
I know we already have a huge thread about UAG, but those are 65+ pages of people waiting/speculating/complaining and maybe 3-4 good reviews with pictures. So, I figured maybe to start an official review thread for UAG Note 2 case http://www.urbanarmorgear.com/collections/galaxy-note-ii

Since I don't own iPhone or S3, my experience with previous UAG cases was based on reading only reviews from others, and it seems those cases were quite popular with a huge fan base. Note 2 case introduced a new design, and that generated a mixed reviews. I'm personally looking at the case as is without comparing it to previous models.

The case came in a nice packaging box, nothing too fancy but with a clear display and highlights of the features. In addition to the case, UAG included a screen protector, a small screen cloth and a squeeze for sp installation. I can't comment on sp since I already have one installed, but I have a feeling its a basic one. I can comment it had a good cut, although didn't feel as thick as some other 3H film screen protectors.
Also, as part of new "vent" design, it came with 2 inserts in orange and black. Those are interchangeable and you can use either one. There has been a lot of discussion about quality of material used on these inserts and perhaps some people had higher expectations. These inserts are cardboard cut outs with diamond textured design and some thin laminating layer on color side. Each insert is colored on one side, while white on another side. In theory you can make your own inserts. Those have two side cut outs that align with guiding small pins inside of the case. Once you put down the insert, you better keep the case horizontal while inserting the phone, otherwise the insert will move. When phone is inserted into the case - inserts stay dead on, although if you shake the phone you will hear it move a little bit. Don't get me wrong, it looks cool as hell, and could be easily fixed with a little piece of scotch tape holding it down. The vent itself should keep air circulating which is a good idea while charging the battery.

The case is VERY light - amazing considering the high level of protection it offers at a minimum added bulk. Of course, just like any case it adds some bulk, but when you compare to other case with equivalent level of protection - this is feather-light! The construction is composite where inner protection bumper and outer shell are molded together. Yes, I would consider the inner rubber (hard TPU material) to be a bumper since it doesn't wrap around the back of the phone. The outer shell made of a very high quality impact plastic material, definitely not some cheap brittle stuff. The inner side of the plastic shell has honeycomb pattern, while the outer side is smooth and has sort of sandblasted finish. I do have to note, plastic does feel a little slippery in your hands. I have heard this will go away with time, but I still have to point it out. But since they have vent cut out in the back and also hard rubber bumper around the edges of the screen, you still get an acceptable grip when holding it in your hand. The rubber bumper doesn't pull away and fits around the edge of the phone very snugly. The only place where it pulls a little bit is at the bottom in the aread of micro-usb connector, but very slightly. It also offers a very nice lip to protect the screen of the phone when faced down, and a VERY good corner protection with some extra material while still keeping it slim and not exaggerated around corners like some other designs do. Furthermore, the back of the phone has 4 subtle stands in a shape of a torx screw head. Those are of course not real screws but rather rubber bumps, but functionally it's brilliant since you can put your phone down on the back and it will keep it from sliding!!! This little design detail is so subtle yet brilliantly functional and adds to "urban" style of the phone.

Port openings are very generous; mic openings big enough for a clear sound, micro-usb opening is wide enough to accommodate after market connectors, headphone jack should accept a connector up to 3/8". S-pen opening deserves a special mentioning. It's not your typical rectangular opening, and narrows down while still giving enough room for a nail to grab the edge of s-pen when pulling it out. Just a very nice detail. Speaker grill has a cross line which makes speaker design with a battery cover of the phone to look partitioned and cool next to the grill design. Camera and led flash openings are partitioned - a very clever idea for glare-free flash photos! Volume and power buttons have a very unique design to make them look like a separate external buttons. These buttons have a separate slit opening along one side to make them push easier. I very clever idea! I have documented all these details in my pictures.

Another comment I would like to bring up is the color of the case itself. Since I choose Navigator to compliment my white GN2, I want to mention that white of the case is a few shades brighter than white of the phone - not a big issue since those two colors don't come in contact. I do want to mention also, there is a little flex when you push down on the vents. I assume that was always part of the design even with solid back on iPhone/S3 cases. With vents cut outs, it's more visible now. I would say it could be looked as positive and negative point. Positive since it absorbs some shock if case falls down flat on its back, and negative since you are opening back door to lint and dust getting under the vent.

Overall, its a very unique design that offers both a visual eye candy and a decent level of protection to the phone. I tried to be fair in my review and describe all the positive and negative points I found, IMHO. But in my personal opinion - I highly recommend it!

As usual, I will leave the rest to the pictures. Please keep in mind due to case being white, my camera had a hard time focusing.

I'm sure some will share my opinion, others might disagree or want to add comments. If you can, please don't reply with all the pictures in the post to duplicate it.

uag-n2-01_zpsc31a457e.jpg

uag-n2-02_zpsdad7663a.jpg

uag-n2-03_zpsfcef2796.jpg

uag-n2-04_zps1b62f50e.jpg

uag-n2-05_zpsc54ed143.jpg

uag-n2-06_zpsd5cb2a28.jpg

uag-n2-07_zps424c547d.jpg

uag-n2-08_zps2c071e2b.jpg

uag-n2-09_zpscfdc56c5.jpg

uag-n2-10_zps5f97ecc9.jpg

uag-n2-11_zps456f0efc.jpg

uag-n2-12_zpsb284ea8d.jpg

uag-n2-13_zpsd310d2e0.jpg

uag-n2-15_zps5e23780c.jpg

uag-n2-16_zps6a0af4e0.jpg

uag-n2-17_zps4464d007.jpg

uag-n2-18_zps383221bc.jpg

uag-n2-19_zpsc323db2b.jpg

uag-n2-20_zpsbfee7fa3.jpg

uag-n2-21_zpsc9c0e9e0.jpg

uag-n2-22_zpscd49fae1.jpg

uag-n2-23_zpsd70946ac.jpg

uag-n2-24_zps40af0b7b.jpg

uag-n2-25_zps8dd4bf2f.jpg

uag-n2-26_zps00cd3745.jpg

uag-n2-27_zps8ce26f66.jpg

uag-n2-28_zps3c6b1a66.jpg

uag-n2-29_zpsf0fc296e.jpg

uag-n2-30_zps066eeab7.jpg

uag-n2-31_zps3b919d3c.jpg

Last edited:

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
I guess you can consider this as the first mod. Actually someone else done it before, but I'm elaborating on details with more pictures!

Yes, you can have GN2 in OEM Flip case going right into UAG case and it works! Of course, there are some limitations. You can flip the cover all the way around, unless you modify UAG case by cutting it's side (which nobody in their right mind going to do). And, because the left side is covered by flip case, UAG volume buttons will not be pushing directly on phone's volume, which makes it a lot harder to work BUT it WORKS!!! So here you go, an alternative to add flip cover to your UAG case:

uag-n2-flip-1_zps40270258.jpg

uag-n2-flip-2_zpse88f0208.jpg

uag-n2-flip-3_zpsec9ec30c.jpg

uag-n2-flip-4_zps932a6505.jpg

uag-n2-flip-5_zps1a62b630.jpg

uag-n2-flip-6_zpsb1ed0f4f.jpg

bkdodger

Jan 30, 2011
Good idea and nice pics...I'd like to add my review from yesterday here so if it helps anyone good stuff.. I'd like to add day 2 and the feel is better IMO less slippery and fit seems to have settled in nicely..Keeper ..

What up peeps..Just wanted to give a small overview of the case I received today. I will test drive it for a few days(week) and let y'all know how it flows for me..Haha

Excuse my noobness to the video making world..

Part 1: Case without phone..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sfwqpcw278kob47/UAG_reviewPart1.mp4

Part 2: Case with phone...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yf62xa2oimqstb8/UAG_reviewPart2.mp4

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Good idea and nice pics...I'd like to add my review from yesterday here so if it helps anyone good stuff.. I'd like to add day 2 and the feel is better IMO less slippery and fit seems to have settled in nicely..Keeper ..

What up peeps..Just wanted to give a small overview of the case I received today. I will test drive it for a few days(week) and let y'all know how it flows for me..Haha

Good job, videos are great! I'm actually thinking now about getting Scout/black for my white GN2 as well.

Double0EK

May 13, 2010
Just a quick question.
Ive owned a few white and clear cases and all of them started yellowing/browning.. Do you think this will happen to this one also?

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Just a quick question.
Ive owned a few white and clear cases and all of them started yellowing/browning.. Do you think this will happen to this one also?

Good question, but considering their make Navigator/white for iPhone 4 and S3 and I haven't read anybody complaining about those (since people been using it for awhile now), I assume it won't be an issue. I had a cheap clear case before, from ebay for a few bucks, after 3 days in my jeans pocket it got a shade of blue. I will give this case a benefit of a doubt that hard plastic material they use won't change the color. I guess time will tell, but like I said - this is an exactly the same material as older iPhone 4 and S3 cases and there is no complains about it. UAG for S3 has almost 980 reviews on Amazon with an average of 4.75 stars. I will take that as a positive sign ;)

Reactions: Double0EK

mdt73

Jul 11, 2011
Clarksville
Really liked your idea of adding the flip cover. After I colored the back of the orange back panel red, I threw the flip cover on and the new UAG case, and am lovin the results. Oh, I also used an exacto blade to remove the silver UAG lettering. Thanks for the great idea!

Attachments

• 20130215_164212.jpg
    20130215_164212.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 3,670
  • 20130215_164328.jpg
    20130215_164328.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 3,312
  • 20130215_164658.jpg
    20130215_164658.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 3,093
Last edited:

marcus316

Mar 29, 2010
Hey just ordered mines thanks to your good review

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

IsolatedAbyss

Jan 9, 2013
The case is VERY light - amazing considering the high level of protection it offers at a minimum added bulk.

I started analyzing the case first hand and I'm beginning to appreciate UAG's design more and more. Some people complain about not getting their previous design you see on the S3, but I understand why UAG did this. It is all about trying to chip off as much excess weight from the case as possible without compromising protection and style. Throughout the case you will see that besides the vents, the insert is not a full piece but just covers the vents nicely (more weight off there), there are grooves, and the inside TPU back is also honey-combed, to reduce the overall weight as much as possible. With a big phone like Note 2, I think this is a very wise decision by them. If they used the old design, the case would probably be a bit heavier than what we have now.

Overall I think it is a great case. Possibly the best case out there that scores in every category in style, protection & functionality in my humble opinion. 9.5/10

Last edited:
Reactions: rlee008

rlee008

Jul 7, 2009
Miami, FL
@vectron, i appreciate your review. its basically the same thing i would have said i f i did a review on this case. at the end of the day this case is a great investment. functionallity, quality & great design are all incorporated into this and you will not be let down. i couldnt be happier with it.

garyart1

Apr 19, 2008
Bohemia, NY
Anyone try to use it with the Smart Dock?
Didn't work with smart dock. It would fit in if you force it but doesn't go in far enough to make any connection. Also will not work in the battery charger. Here it fits in but falls forward. Price you pay for protection I guess. No big deal to me, I will just take case off when I put in dock. Now if I was using dock every day for charging, it may be a bigger deal.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

artofwar

Mar 21, 2007
Can any comment on the comparisonf of this UAG case with the likes of OTterbox Commuter and Ballistic SG series in terms of weight, protection, ease of use and slippery feel, etc?

sianaka

Jul 28, 2007
Didn't work with smart dock. It would fit in if you force it but doesn't go in far enough to make any connection. Also will not work in the battery charger. Here it fits in but falls forward. Price you pay for protection I guess. No big deal to me, I will just take case off when I put in dock. Now if I was using dock every day for charging, it may be a bigger deal.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Are you talking about the spare battery charger dock?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

mdt73

Jul 11, 2011
Clarksville
My fondness of the UAG Navigator is starting to waver a bit. I am realizing it makes the phone quite a bit more wide, almost to the point I don't like the way it feels in my hand. As odd as this sounds, I might go back to the hyperion extended battery and case (newer style) as that feel is about as solid as I have found when it comes to cases on the Note 2. Plus, for about one milimeter difference, I am packing a 6200mAh battery, and the phone is quite a bit less wide in my hand. The attached photo shows the height difference between the hyperion and the UAG.

sofia-captivate

Mar 7, 2011
Vancouver
Really liked your idea of adding the flip cover. After I colored the back of the orange back panel red, I threw the flip cover on and the new UAG case, and am lovin the results. Oh, I also used an exacto blade to remove the silver UAG lettering. Thanks for the great idea!

How are you guys adding the flip cover on this case?

Sent from my SGH-T889V using xda app-developers app

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Yep, Note 2 with flip cover fits right into the UAG case. Take a look at my Post#2 in this thread, you can see from the pictures it fits right in, although with a few limitations like can flip the cover all the way back and volume buttons need to be pushed harder since you pushing on them through the flexible side of flip case.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know we already have a huge thread about UAG, but those are 65+ pages of people waiting/speculating/complaining and maybe 3-4 good reviews with pictures. So, I figured maybe to start an official review thread for UAG Note 2 case http://www.urbanarmorgear.com/collections/galaxy-note-ii

Since I don't own iPhone or S3, my experience with previous UAG cases was based on reading only reviews from others, and it seems those cases were quite popular with a huge fan base. Note 2 case introduced a new design, and that generated a mixed reviews. I'm personally looking at the case as is without comparing it to previous models.

The case came in a nice packaging box, nothing too fancy but with a clear display and highlights of the features. In addition to the case, UAG included a screen protector, a small screen cloth and a squeeze for sp installation. I can't comment on sp since I already have one installed, but I have a feeling its a basic one. I can comment it had a good cut, although didn't feel as thick as some other 3H film screen protectors.
    Also, as part of new "vent" design, it came with 2 inserts in orange and black. Those are interchangeable and you can use either one. There has been a lot of discussion about quality of material used on these inserts and perhaps some people had higher expectations. These inserts are cardboard cut outs with diamond textured design and some thin laminating layer on color side. Each insert is colored on one side, while white on another side. In theory you can make your own inserts. Those have two side cut outs that align with guiding small pins inside of the case. Once you put down the insert, you better keep the case horizontal while inserting the phone, otherwise the insert will move. When phone is inserted into the case - inserts stay dead on, although if you shake the phone you will hear it move a little bit. Don't get me wrong, it looks cool as hell, and could be easily fixed with a little piece of scotch tape holding it down. The vent itself should keep air circulating which is a good idea while charging the battery.

The case is VERY light - amazing considering the high level of protection it offers at a minimum added bulk. Of course, just like any case it adds some bulk, but when you compare to other case with equivalent level of protection - this is feather-light! The construction is composite where inner protection bumper and outer shell are molded together. Yes, I would consider the inner rubber (hard TPU material) to be a bumper since it doesn't wrap around the back of the phone. The outer shell made of a very high quality impact plastic material, definitely not some cheap brittle stuff. The inner side of the plastic shell has honeycomb pattern, while the outer side is smooth and has sort of sandblasted finish. I do have to note, plastic does feel a little slippery in your hands. I have heard this will go away with time, but I still have to point it out. But since they have vent cut out in the back and also hard rubber bumper around the edges of the screen, you still get an acceptable grip when holding it in your hand. The rubber bumper doesn't pull away and fits around the edge of the phone very snugly. The only place where it pulls a little bit is at the bottom in the aread of micro-usb connector, but very slightly. It also offers a very nice lip to protect the screen of the phone when faced down, and a VERY good corner protection with some extra material while still keeping it slim and not exaggerated around corners like some other designs do. Furthermore, the back of the phone has 4 subtle stands in a shape of a torx screw head. Those are of course not real screws but rather rubber bumps, but functionally it's brilliant since you can put your phone down on the back and it will keep it from sliding!!! This little design detail is so subtle yet brilliantly functional and adds to "urban" style of the phone.

Port openings are very generous; mic openings big enough for a clear sound, micro-usb opening is wide enough to accommodate after market connectors, headphone jack should accept a connector up to 3/8". S-pen opening deserves a special mentioning. It's not your typical rectangular opening, and narrows down while still giving enough room for a nail to grab the edge of s-pen when pulling it out. Just a very nice detail. Speaker grill has a cross line which makes speaker design with a battery cover of the phone to look partitioned and cool next to the grill design. Camera and led flash openings are partitioned - a very clever idea for glare-free flash photos! Volume and power buttons have a very unique design to make them look like a separate external buttons. These buttons have a separate slit opening along one side to make them push easier. I very clever idea! I have documented all these details in my pictures.

Another comment I would like to bring up is the color of the case itself. Since I choose Navigator to compliment my white GN2, I want to mention that white of the case is a few shades brighter than white of the phone - not a big issue since those two colors don't come in contact. I do want to mention also, there is a little flex when you push down on the vents. I assume that was always part of the design even with solid back on iPhone/S3 cases. With vents cut outs, it's more visible now. I would say it could be looked as positive and negative point. Positive since it absorbs some shock if case falls down flat on its back, and negative since you are opening back door to lint and dust getting under the vent.

Overall, its a very unique design that offers both a visual eye candy and a decent level of protection to the phone. I tried to be fair in my review and describe all the positive and negative points I found, IMHO. But in my personal opinion - I highly recommend it!

As usual, I will leave the rest to the pictures. Please keep in mind due to case being white, my camera had a hard time focusing.

I'm sure some will share my opinion, others might disagree or want to add comments. If you can, please don't reply with all the pictures in the post to duplicate it.

uag-n2-01_zpsc31a457e.jpg

uag-n2-02_zpsdad7663a.jpg

uag-n2-03_zpsfcef2796.jpg

uag-n2-04_zps1b62f50e.jpg

uag-n2-05_zpsc54ed143.jpg

uag-n2-06_zpsd5cb2a28.jpg

uag-n2-07_zps424c547d.jpg

uag-n2-08_zps2c071e2b.jpg

uag-n2-09_zpscfdc56c5.jpg

uag-n2-10_zps5f97ecc9.jpg

uag-n2-11_zps456f0efc.jpg

uag-n2-12_zpsb284ea8d.jpg

uag-n2-13_zpsd310d2e0.jpg

uag-n2-15_zps5e23780c.jpg

uag-n2-16_zps6a0af4e0.jpg

uag-n2-17_zps4464d007.jpg

uag-n2-18_zps383221bc.jpg

uag-n2-19_zpsc323db2b.jpg

uag-n2-20_zpsbfee7fa3.jpg

uag-n2-21_zpsc9c0e9e0.jpg

uag-n2-22_zpscd49fae1.jpg

uag-n2-23_zpsd70946ac.jpg

uag-n2-24_zps40af0b7b.jpg

uag-n2-25_zps8dd4bf2f.jpg

uag-n2-26_zps00cd3745.jpg

uag-n2-27_zps8ce26f66.jpg

uag-n2-28_zps3c6b1a66.jpg

uag-n2-29_zpsf0fc296e.jpg

uag-n2-30_zps066eeab7.jpg

uag-n2-31_zps3b919d3c.jpg
    I guess you can consider this as the first mod. Actually someone else done it before, but I'm elaborating on details with more pictures!

Yes, you can have GN2 in OEM Flip case going right into UAG case and it works! Of course, there are some limitations. You can flip the cover all the way around, unless you modify UAG case by cutting it's side (which nobody in their right mind going to do). And, because the left side is covered by flip case, UAG volume buttons will not be pushing directly on phone's volume, which makes it a lot harder to work BUT it WORKS!!! So here you go, an alternative to add flip cover to your UAG case:

uag-n2-flip-1_zps40270258.jpg

uag-n2-flip-2_zpse88f0208.jpg

uag-n2-flip-3_zpsec9ec30c.jpg

uag-n2-flip-4_zps932a6505.jpg

uag-n2-flip-5_zps1a62b630.jpg

uag-n2-flip-6_zpsb1ed0f4f.jpg
    Here is IMHO a must have MOD with CONVERT holster :) This is adhesive credit card pouch (3 pack for $5.99 from Amazon. Although designed for iPhone size, it fits perfectly inside of the holster, sticks very well even so it's not a flat but rather textured grid surface. Material is stretchy and soft, and easily holds 3 cards and a few bills. When phone is in, it doesn't even touch the screen, and even if it does - material is very soft. So now, you have your phone in a holster and no need for a wallet if you throw in your driver license, credit and atm card, and some money!

This is how it looks with UAG case:

holster_pocket_general-1_zps027ee1b5.jpg

holster_pocket_general-2_zps0292409b.jpg

holster_pocket_general-3_zps1f6890ea.jpg

holster_pocket_general-4_zps60ceee74.jpg

holster_pocket_general-5_zpsabdb1c50.jpg

uag_holster_pocket-1_zpsb083928f.jpg

uag_holster_pocket-2_zps85be27f6.jpg

uag_holster_pocket-3_zps3b1c1e22.jpg

Part 1: Case without phone..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sfwqpcw278kob47/UAG_reviewPart1.mp4

Part 2: Case with phone...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yf62xa2oimqstb8/UAG_reviewPart2.mp4
    Still trying to decide between Navigator (white) and Scout (black) for my white Note 2. Since my OP has pics with Navigator, I'm adding a new set of pics with Scout. Maybe some will find it useful for their own comparison.

uag_blk_note2-01_zps28e96bc5.jpg

uag_blk_note2-02_zps6a9af868.jpg

uag_blk_note2-03_zps28ce44bc.jpg

uag_blk_note2-05_zps4df10be1.jpg

uag_blk_note2-06_zps8a7672de.jpg

uag_blk_note2-07_zps6c5c6a29.jpg

uag_blk_note2-08_zps23df99ce.jpg

uag_blk_note2-09_zpsc470b024.jpg

uag_blk_note2-10_zps4b1fad81.jpg

uag_blk_note2-11_zps221982fa.jpg

uag_blk_note2-12_zps9bfb02c8.jpg

uag_blk_note2-13_zpsa8affc2f.jpg