[CM11][TRİM Supported Kernel]

Search This thread

lewonsky

Jul 8, 2014
i ahve this problem of custom roms of either slowing down or bootlooping on my galaxy W after a few weeks or months of usage , . has it got to do with no trim support in the W?

so if i installed this kernel will the prob be solved?

i hear that the W custom kernels do not have trim support before this

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hello guys

I'm presenting you first TRİM enabled kernel for Galaxy W

first of all big thanx to my brother @lafactorial ı didnt use to make this without him ;)
    he compiled kernel for me(my pc is still broken :()

kernel base is lafactorial's Khan kernel so every feature in khan kernel are included in this kernel

this kernel is also including especially TRİM support

We need an explain of TRİM support

So What is TRİM?

Fragmentation occurs on traditional hard drives. When a file is deleted from a hard drive, its space is “liberated” when the file system erases the pointer to the start of the file. When the next file is to be written, the controller finds the first free spot on the disk, and starts writing the file. If the file is too big it fills up the empty spot, then puts a pointer to the next free spot on the disk, and then starts writing again. This process is repeated again and again until the file has completely been written. As more files are deleted and new ones written, the disk becomes more and more fragmented. As fragmentation increases, performance decreases. To remedy the situation we must defragment our hard drives — which takes quite a bit of time.

Data stored on NAND flash is saved differently than on traditional hard drives. Similar to HDD storage, NAND also keeps a map of where data is stored. When you delete a file, rather than freeing up that spot for re-use, most of the time it’s simply marked as “not in use”. The data is still there, and, more importantly, the entry in the file system is still there. (We just can’t access because it’s “not in use”.) That means as you write and delete files, the file map has to get bigger, and it takes more time to find the files that you’re looking for. While technically not “fragmentation”, this ”I/O lag” becomes more pronounced with use– causing your device to operate more slowly the more you use it. This problem has been present in virtually every Android-powered device (and almost every other device that uses NAND flash for storage), we just haven’t noticed it too much — until now.

TRIM to the rescue!

TRIM essentially goes through the file records and frees up blocks that you’ve deleted by telling the controller to stop keeping track of them. Now the controller only has to keep track of the files that haven’t been deleted, which speeds things up significantly!

TRIM support was included in the desktop Linux kernel in 2008. Microsoft’s desktop operating systems didn’t get support until 2009 with Windows 7. Apple didn’t pick up TRIM support on OS X until 10.6.8 in 2011. Android, however, didn’t pick it up until version 4.3.

Unfortunately, if your device isn’t running Android 4.3, it’s unlikely that your OEM has built in TRIM support. For those of you who have new devices running Android 4.3 and later, you’re all set — TRIM is set up and running automatically. If you’re using a device that was running a down-level version of Android and you upgraded it to version 4.3, you probably want to do a factory reset to regain your lost speed, though you shouldn’t notice any further slowdowns if you opt not to start from scratch.

At the moment our roms (cm10.2 and cm11) is supporting TRİM feature but our kernels doesnt :(

so if you want to see TRİM is working or not on your phone then you can enter the following commands in Terminal emulator

su
    fstrim -v /cache

you will see the following message

LP3WPz.png

so your kernel doesnt support TRİM

but if you install this TRİM supported kernel

then result will be like this

ElJ4QD.png
    :good:

Download:

big ram(360 mb) TRİM kernel:http://yadi.sk/d/q25Hb5VORq4uR

stock ram(340 mb) TRİM kernel:http://yadi.sk/d/AOTJrl01Rq5Fv

Just flash it via cwm and do not forget to wipe cache and dalvik cache before and after installation

For Devs

we(lafactorial and me) just gave erase capability to emmc chip by reverting the following commit in kernel https://github.com/arco/samsung-kernel-msm7x30/commit/797ddcb9bf1b30d4cdac45e81568e19797ffad19

yep you can see sir arco's warning in commit message but dont worry for about bricks because our emmc chip is good one(Sandisk SEM04G) not a bad one(like MAG2GA)

we published this kernel in another turkish forum(http://www.maxicep.com/forum/konu/kernel-cm11-khan-kernel-trim-destekli.893317/) and lots of peoples used this kernel for 1 month and still using(you can look date of thread) and no one faced brick or something like that
    just ı trimmed 3 partition (/data /system and /cache) 100 times and ı didnt face any brick yet :victory:

Thats all

Enjoy!
    @sir mordred I still testing but your kernel works fine with 8150B till now! Great news for brazilian GWs! Huge thanks!
    NOTE!!!

This kernel is only compatible with latest cm11

do not forget that

and also Once you boot with a trim-enabled kernel, trim function will run automatically in the background and cannot be disabled by the user!

but if you want to trim partitions manually you can use this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grilledmonkey.lagfix&hl=tr

have a nice day ;)
    hmm ım using same configuration(latest build+trim kernel)but wifi is working good on me btw ı will check again

it can be kernel issue (it shouldnt be related to trim ı dont think so)

thanx for your feedback

I'll try with a clean install tomorrow, if you want.....

Inviato dal mio GT-I8150 utilizzando Tapatalk
    @sir mordred

My 8150 no longer exists.:(Can't Test it.:(
    But I do wish you success.:)My young brother.
    The way is clear.
    The entrepreneurial spirit.
    I very much appreciate:)