[Q] Converting a .zip ROM into .tar to flash with Odin

Search This thread

Azure Flame Kite

Apr 1, 2012
Germany
I was asking if there's any way to convert a .zip ROM into a .tar ROM to flash with Odin..

The reason why I'm asking this is because I'm unable to flash any ROM via CWM recovery. I can only flash ROMs via Odin. Please see this for further information to my problem.

I'm particularly fond of the MIUI ROM, but there's no Odin version of that.. and CWM doesn't work for me :(

Thaw.Bytes

Mar 5, 2012
This is the installation instructions from adys miui rom which i usually use...not sure if you do this already but this usually works for me (wipe cache n devlik aswell)

1. Copy Zip to SDCard.k
2. Reboot to Recovery.
3. Wipe data/factory Reset.
4. Wipe /system from Mounts and Storage.
5. Install *your Rom* zip from SDCard.
6. Reboot (First boot may take time due to alot of init.d scripting)

Reactions: johnwazhere

tuesmonhero

Mar 30, 2012
Davenport, IA
Convert ZIP to TAR

This is the installation instructions from adys miui rom which i usually use...not sure if you do this already but this usually works for me (wipe cache n devlik aswell)

1. Copy Zip to SDCard.k
2. Reboot to Recovery.

ArcConvert is a free portable tool for Windows that allows you to convert many different types of archives to known formats.

Reactions: GintoSama

king_below_my_lord

Dec 2, 2012
Thrissur,Kerela
Tried it, converted a kernel .zip file to.tar for Note 2 and it blue-screened Win7 during .tar installation. No damage to PC or phone, but DAYUM! :eek:

I don't think direct conversion like that will ever work, just ask the related developer to generate a tar file for you, ask one of the most helpful devs like salesale(NeatRom creator) or the dev of RevoltRom.

Sent from my GT-P6200 using xda app-developers app

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
You'd need to write a script that specifies what files get flashed to where & create your own flashable zip. Or you could swap the files from the tar into an existing CWM flashable I guess; not sure if this will work tho, the script may be specific to those particular files & might not work with different ones (I'm not au fait with these scripts, hence not being sure). I personally wouldn't try this tho, just flash the tar in Odin already.

tariq2kn

May 8, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S22
Samsung Galaxy S23
You'd need to write a script that specifies what files get flashed to where & create your own flashable zip. Or you could swap the files from the tar into an existing CWM flashable I guess; not sure if this will work tho, the script may be specific to those particular files & might not work with different ones (I'm not au fait with these scripts, hence not being sure). I personally wouldn't try this tho, just flash the tar in Odin already.

Could you make a .zip(without rom) for xwlss .tar rom file so that I can flash through recovery without the pc odin.

Last edited:

king_below_my_lord

Dec 2, 2012
Thrissur,Kerela
I want to convert .tar rom to .zip flashable file :rolleyes:

That's easy (well can cause catastrophe if handled without proper knowledge) just use android kitchen.

Edit :Seriously though must be very careful, I used it to deodex JB firmware for my tab 7 plus (it doesn't have any proper developer support so had to do it manually) and I had a plethora of minor bug's popping up, insignificant but annoying nonetheless, quite frankly must be ready to spend hours for proper tweaking and understanding framework to build a good flashable zip, I didn't have the patience nor the time.

Sent from my GT-P6200 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Could I make one for you ? Absolutely not.

I don't sit around all day doing nothing just waiting for n00bs to give me stuff to do for them. If you really want to make one, you'll work out how to do it for yourself. Or you won't *shrugs*

Could you make a .zip(without rom) for xwlss .tar rom file so that I can flash through recovery without the pc odin.

Reactions: onslaught86

OUSCA2007

Oct 10, 2010
Barking, London
how to convert rom files from .zip to odin flashable .tar.md5

I am really in need of help to save a bootlogo stuck bricked Galaxy S5 SM G900F ...i need to flash a new rom ... I need to convert ".zip" Rom to "Odin" usable ".tar.md5" ....faaaaaast...
H E L P !!! :confused :silly:

oqaab

Sep 22, 2007
I need that piece of info as well got to convert a zip Rom to tar to flash via Odin. Not too comfortable with flashing through zip files.

bakhthiar

Sep 29, 2014
I also need to convert a flashable zip file tar file

I need that piece of info as well got to convert a zip Rom to tar to flash via Odin. Not too comfortable with flashing through zip files.

Brothers. i also need a program that converts a flashable zip file into a tar file, so that it could be installed via odin.

thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. Copy Zip to SDCard.k
    2. Reboot to Recovery.
    Convert ZIP to TAR

1. Copy Zip to SDCard.k
    2. Reboot to Recovery.

ArcConvert is a free portable tool for Windows that allows you to convert many different types of archives to known formats.

Tried it, converted a kernel .zip file to.tar for Note 2 and it blue-screened Win7 during .tar installation. No damage to PC or phone, but DAYUM! :eek:
    I want to convert .tar rom to .zip flashable file :rolleyes:

Why?