Galaxy Note Gradient Banding Issue Explained - Color Depth

Search This thread

Tx Redneck

Dec 24, 2010
Man, this is my first sammy device(former htc user) and I've never seen so much whining as this. The display on mine is beautiful and I see no issues as described.

If this is the status quo for sammy users, maybe I need to go back to htc.

/rant

n00b1269

Feb 18, 2010
Charleston, WV
I have 0 banding l. I actually stayed with the blue instead of exchanging to the the white because i was afraid of getting on with it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

fluoxethine

Feb 16, 2012
This is how the Steam app by Valve looks like - notice colorful horizontal stripes:

(there are vertical artficats visible - these are just scratches on the protecting foil)

paleh0rse

Jan 4, 2011
The infrequent banding doesn't bother me, but the black clipping/crush problem pisses me off on a daily basis. :(

fluoxethine

Feb 16, 2012
It's now clear why Samsung does not promote his Note as full 24 bit palette device ; )
http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote/note/spec.html?type=find
(only resolution stated ; )

I'm just glad I'm not alone and that Tab Note won't have AMOLED. AMOLED is kinda of gif quality. It's like alpha version not yet ready to be released. IMO Note is overpriced.

I'll just wait for a similar product from other manufacturers and switch right away.

Anyway - some dithering algorithms could help. Hope is in ICS.

Sinful Animosity

Jun 14, 2011
Spring Hill fl
The colors don't bother me at all. All the people whining about it... All I can say is: first world problems.

The community is infinitely better than the Atrix forums, but the whining about bands and colors on a screen is just irritating. I had the Atrix (one of the worst screens in the world according to some people) and it seemed fine to me. I also owned a captivate and inspire and never had a problem.

I'm tempted to move to HTC in 2014, so I won't have to see this anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

paleh0rse

Jan 4, 2011
You know who the worst offenders are? Those who whine about other "whiners."

If you have nothing to contribute to the thread or a solution, then just ignore it and move on to something that interests you. Nobody here asked you for your personal opinion about their character; but, since you broached that subject, I figured I'd give mine about yours...

Last edited:

jpg71

Apr 28, 2005
Man, this is my first sammy device(former htc user) and I've never seen so much whining as this. The display on mine is beautiful and I see no issues as described.

/rant

I've had a few HTC devices, most recently the Thunderbolt and the Nexus One. Plenty of whiners in those circles over the years as well. Just saying.

Choose the phone for the functionality, not the people on the internet who own them.

talonted

Mar 1, 2012
You have to look at it from our point of view. We bought the phone with the biggest, best display of anything currently on the market, and you cannot even watch a simple Netflix or YouTube video on it without all the black scenes distorting to the point of becoming illegible. If yours works perfect for you, great. If yours has the black crush issue and it doesn't bother you, great. But it bothers some of us, and were it not for our constantly want for bigger, faster, more capable phones, then NO ONE would have one of these amazing devices.

mintu123

Sep 17, 2009
i own n7000 and att note.only time i get issue on netflix and youtube is when im watching something was made few years ago or just bad quality video.i still think its samsung fault for not coding the screen to auto adjust to 16 or 24 bit.they need to fix this issue with ics release.i think its a software issue and samsung can fix it.or some kinda of hotfix for gb

jpeg42

Jul 22, 2010
Oregon
Excited to see if the next ICS leak brings any change!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

MaddMan420

Apr 25, 2011
Miami, FL
I hate myself for reading this thread because now I notice it on EVERYTHING and it drives me insane lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It turns out the color gradient banding issue has to do with how each app is set up to display which color depth (16/24 bit).

It has nothing to do with resolution nor pixel density.

Banding(countouring) is a digital artifact common to images, displays or apps of 16bit(thousands of colors) or less.

A 24bit capable display(like our galaxy note) is capable of show 24bit (3x8bit of RGB or Millions of colors) images - if view in a 24 bit app.

If banding is seen, it is most likely that the app is not 24bit capable.

Viewing 16bit or lower resolution gradient images on a 24bit screen (like the galaxy note) will also show banding.

It is up to the app developers whether they want to make the app 16 or 24bit.

This is where I finally found the answer to my question

This is why the image below displays fine on some apps, but appears to have banding on other.

6776205066_1cfbe103ae_o.png
    Agreed Tx. The whining on these forums is downright pathetic.

/rant
    Viewing 16bit or lower resolution gradient images on a 24bit screen (like the galaxy note) will also show banding.
    Is there another phone out with a 24 bit display? If so, it's easy to prove.

My earlier statements still hold true. The graphics will catch up to our devices.
    Nice!

:D
    Dude you just save samsung a BILLION DOLLARS...LOL