Root

Search This thread

Dilbert1959

Jul 7, 2014
This isn't hard. Towel root, use ES file Explorer to uninstall system app Device Services Platform from rooted device to disable OTA updates. Do everything else from other posts to install Gapps. Enjoy a truly nice phone.

pogfanatic

Sep 14, 2010
Hayward Ca
Not sure if I am doing something wrong but I downloaded the towelroot v3 apk from geohots site and when I press the make it rain button it says "This phone isn't currently supported".

I also tried tapping the towelroot v3 button and trying the below with no luck:

1337 0 1 0 4 0
1337 0 1 7380 4 0
1337 0 1 0 4 1

Last edited:

HenioH

Sep 5, 2010
I am experiencing the same. When you click "make it rain" in Towel Root you get a phone is unsupported. Looks like no way as of yet to root Amazon Fire Phone.

SafinWasi

Dec 15, 2013
Unknown
Guys,could you try Bin4ry's rooting method? I has worked on all tate and jem models. Also,can someone make a list of the files in /dev/block?

Reactions: I am M3

I am M3

May 14, 2009
Way too hot in, California
Guys,could you try Bin4ry's rooting method? I has worked on all tate and jem models. Also,can someone make a list of the files in /dev/block?

@SafinWasi - I tried the Bin4ry root method but I don't see an option in the Fire OS to enable USB debugging, so adb does not read the device. I will try to get a list of the files in /dev/block/ to you if I'm able to read the file system through one of the explorers. Sounds like towelroot is working for some, and not for others?

EDIT: Here is the list of files in /dev/block/

/platform/msm_sdcc.1
/voId/ (EMPTY FOLDER)
/loop0
/loop1
/loop2
/loop3
/loop4
/loop5
/loop6
/loop7
/mmcblk0
/mmcblk0boot0
/mmcblk0boot1
/mmcblk0p1
/mmcblk0p10
/mmcblk0p11
/mmcblk0p12
/mmcblk0p13
/mmcblk0p14
/mmcblk0p15
/mmcblk0p16
/mmcblk0p17
/mmcblk0p18
/mmcblk0p19
/mmcblk0p2
/mmcblk0p3
/mmcblk0p4
/mmcblk0p5
/mmcblk0p6
/mmcblk0p7
/mmcblk0p8
/mmcblk0p9
/mmcblk0rpmb
/ram0
/ram1
/ram10
/ram11
/ram12
/ram13
/ram14
/ram15
/ram2
/ram3
/ram4
/ram5
/ram6
/ram7
/ram8
/ram9
/zram0

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

Last edited:

SafinWasi

Dec 15, 2013
Unknown
@SafinWasi - I tried the Bin4ry root method but I don't see an option in the Fire OS to enable USB debugging, so adb does not read the device. I will try to get a list of the files in /dev/block/ to you if I'm able to read the file system through one of the explorers. Sounds like towelroot is working for some, and not for others?

EDIT: Here is the list of files in /dev/block/

/platform/msm_sdcc.1
/voId/ (EMPTY FOLDER)
/loop0
/loop1
/loop2
/loop3
/loop4
/loop5
/loop6
/loop7
/mmcblk0
/mmcblk0boot0
/mmcblk0boot1
/mmcblk0p1
/mmcblk0p10
/mmcblk0p11
/mmcblk0p12
/mmcblk0p13
/mmcblk0p14
/mmcblk0p15
/mmcblk0p16
/mmcblk0p17
/mmcblk0p18
/mmcblk0p19
/mmcblk0p2
/mmcblk0p3
/mmcblk0p4
/mmcblk0p5
/mmcblk0p6
/mmcblk0p7
/mmcblk0p8
/mmcblk0p9
/mmcblk0rpmb
/ram0
/ram1
/ram10
/ram11
/ram12
/ram13
/ram14
/ram15
/ram2
/ram3
/ram4
/ram5
/ram6
/ram7
/ram8
/ram9
/zram0

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

Oh yeah,it's got a boot0block file(mmcblk0boot0). Can you check which file is ridiculously large? Also,what's in the platform file?

Sent from my device running CyanogenMod 11

I am M3

May 14, 2009
Oh yeah,it's got a boot0block file(mmcblk0boot0). Can you check which file is ridiculously large? Also,what's in the platform file?

@SafinWasi - The files in the dev/block/ all show as empty 0.00b. And I apologize, looks like msm_sdcc.1 is actually a folder which contains the following:

By-name (folder)
aboot
boot
cache
dbi
DDR
fsc
fsg
misc
modem
modemst1
modemst2
persist
recovery
rpm
sbl1
ssd
system
tz
userdata

By-num (folder)
p1 thru p19

mmcblk0
mmcblk0boot0
mmcblk0boot1
mmcblk0p1
mmcblk0p10
mmcblk0p11
mmcblk0p12
mmcblk0p13
mmcblk0p14
mmcblk0p15
mmcblk0p16
mmcblk0p17
mmcblk0p18
mmcblk0p19
mmcblk0p2
mmcblk0p3
mmcblk0p4
mmcblk0p5
mmcblk0p6
mmcblk0p7
mmcblk0p8
mmcblk0p9
mmcblk0rpmb

Again, all files show as 0.00b for me, but I'm using ES File Explorer. Also the files are showing with -rw permissions.

SafinWasi

Dec 15, 2013
Unknown
@SafinWasi - The files in the dev/block/ all show as empty 0.00b. And I apologize, looks like msm_sdcc.1 is actually a folder which contains the following:

By-name (folder)
aboot
boot
cache
dbi
DDR
fsc
fsg
misc
modem
modemst1
modemst2
persist
recovery
rpm
sbl1
ssd
system
tz
userdata

By-num (folder)
p1 thru p19

mmcblk0
mmcblk0boot0
mmcblk0boot1
mmcblk0p1
mmcblk0p10
mmcblk0p11
mmcblk0p12
mmcblk0p13
mmcblk0p14
mmcblk0p15
mmcblk0p16
mmcblk0p17
mmcblk0p18
mmcblk0p19
mmcblk0p2
mmcblk0p3
mmcblk0p4
mmcblk0p5
mmcblk0p6
mmcblk0p7
mmcblk0p8
mmcblk0p9
mmcblk0rpmb

Again, all files show as 0.00b for me, but I'm using ES File Explorer. Also the files are showing with -rw permissions.

Can you pull the boot file and send it to me? Looks like we just found the kernel. Also,the system file should be large

Dilbert1959

Jul 7, 2014
towelroot

All versions of towelroot are not created the same it seems. I had rooted my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 and done everything it seems that everyone here had posted. Installed Super SU, KindleFree Pro, etc. Well, the pesky Kindle Fire updated nonetheless and I had to search for and find a version of towelroot that would work to re root the device again. At the same time, it was a different version of towelroot that rooted my 2 day old phone weeks ago and before I knew it, I was getting nags that when I was connected to wifi again, the phone was going to update OS! I did I boatload of searching on the internet and discovered that the Fire TV uses system app Device Services Platform (DSP) to do OTA updates. I just took a gamble and used ES File Explorer to uninstall that system app. ES File Explorer gave me an error saying uninstall failed (on phone and Kindle HDX 8.9). but on reboot nag was gone and I continue to have access to Gapps, playstore, Chrome, everything. I did use xposed installer to load Gapps. Amazon Instant video still works, it's all the phone it should be and is fast as heck and pretty, lol.
I have no idea why there are so many sources for towelroot and why seemingly same versions really are NOT. I just know that Google is your friend and shotgun approach works and there is a version that will your phone. I am not a geek and did this

SafinWasi

Dec 15, 2013
Unknown
All versions of towelroot are not created the same it seems. I had rooted my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 and done everything it seems that everyone here had posted. Installed Super SU, KindleFree Pro, etc. Well, the pesky Kindle Fire updated nonetheless and I had to search for and find a version of towelroot that would work to re root the device again. At the same time, it was a different version of towelroot that rooted my 2 day old phone weeks ago and before I knew it, I was getting nags that when I was connected to wifi again, the phone was going to update OS! I did I boatload of searching on the internet and discovered that the Fire TV uses system app Device Services Platform (DSP) to do OTA updates. I just took a gamble and used ES File Explorer to uninstall that system app. ES File Explorer gave me an error saying uninstall failed (on phone and Kindle HDX 8.9). but on reboot nag was gone and I continue to have access to Gapps, playstore, Chrome, everything. I did use xposed installer to load Gapps. Amazon Instant video still works, it's all the phone it should be and is fast as heck and pretty, lol.
I have no idea why there are so many sources for towelroot and why seemingly same versions really are NOT. I just know that Google is your friend and shotgun approach works and there is a version that will your phone. I am not a geek and did this

I agree mate. Towelroot versions are different.

I am M3

May 14, 2009

Hi @Dilbert1959 - could you please post in this thread, or PM me, the towelroot apk which worked for you?

Reactions: misty356

I am M3

May 14, 2009
Same here, interested in the working towelroot apk. Having the same issue with what I can get from the towelroot site.

I got a response from Dilbert1959 which linked to a file on Google Drive, but would not let me download as it violated ToS. Haven't gotten a response from him since. Every towelroot apk I've tried has not worked for me, and I've tried around 10 different sources. I've also tried multiple variations of the modstrings in the v3 towelroot with no success, however I believe there is a modstring that will work for this phone - we just haven't found it yet.

rkalajian

Sep 15, 2014
So nothing new yet on this front?

I've tried several versions of Towelroot with no success.

I'm really digging the phone, with a few exceptions. I'd love to be able to get Google Services on it.

Hopefully something solid works out soon.

I am M3

May 14, 2009
So nothing new yet on this front?

I've tried several versions of Towelroot with no success.

I'm really digging the phone, with a few exceptions. I'd love to be able to get Google Services on it.

Hopefully something solid works out soon.

If your phone is already updated to 3.5.1, there is currently no root method. You can follow this guide to install the Google apps on your phone. They work (with some annoying force close messages)

I am M3

May 14, 2009
Damn. I'm already on 3.5.1. Has anyone been able to successfully roll back somehow?

Amazon still has the download link up for the 3.5 OS. The stock recovery has an option for "update via ADB" which will prompt you to sideload an update file. I'm thinking this will allow us to revert to version 3.5 unless Amazon has somehow blocked it. This hasn't been tested yet (and since this is my only phone to use right now, I'm not willing to risk turning it into a paperweight) ;)

I suggest installing a different launcher (CLauncher works good) and installing the GApps if you want a more "regular" Android experience.

MazerRackham

Sep 23, 2014
If your phone is already updated to 3.5.1, there is currently no root method. You can follow this guide to install the Google apps on your phone. They work (with some annoying force close messages)

I tried this method of non-root access to install Google Play support. It didn't work for my purposes. I could pull up GMail (after setting up a one-time App password since I use 2-step verification), but there were lots of error messages all the time about Google services stopping. What I really wanted it for was to be able to link my Clash of Clans game into my Google+ account for backups. But, that App won't even pull up with the bastardized Play support they had developed for the Fire HDX.

Anyone else have any luck with Towelroot after the 3.5.1 update? I'd really like to get working Google Services support - it is by far the most disappointing feature of the phone. I actually love the Fire Phone other than that.

Thanks in advance,
MR

Euneiro

Oct 1, 2014
I was able to get into recovery and sideload the 3.5 bin and downgrade. It worked sort of. In that it killed the phone services and created a lot of errors but it was on 3.5 and I was able to use towelroot to root it. Unfortunately the fact that it killed the phone made it a non-starter and I had to go back. And it wasn't as simple as just updating again I had to do a full factory restore.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Re: Guide

Hey guys!
    I am new here in the xda forum and I bought a Amazon Fire Phone yesterday. It's really awful to have no access to the Google Play Store. How far is your Guide? Will a newbie like me understand it?^^ Thanks so far for your great commitment in writing a Guide.

First, the most important thing I can tell you is: DO NOT let your phone upgrade to 3.5.1. In fact, turn off wifi to prevent it from doing an automatic over-the-air update when you're not looking like mine did. If you do let it update, you will have the extra headache of having to downgrade your phone's software in recovery mode before you can root!

Next, you will need to install the Android Developer Bridge (ADB) tool and USB Drivers for your device which are part of the Android SDK...Google and this site's forum are your best good friend Bubba.

Next, Google towelroot and download tr.apk by clicking the lambda on the screen and save the file to your computer.

Go to Settings--->Device--->Get info on your Fire Phone---> Tap the Device Name 7 times--->Tap Developer Options---> turn on developer options---> check USB Debugging. Then attach your phone to your computer.

Next is the fun part, assuming you have installed ADB and the USB Drivers for your device, namely the ADB Composite Driver and Kindle Fire USB Driver if you are on Windows, open a command prompt or Terminal window (you will want to have Administrator or root privileges in either case) and type the following:

adb start-server

-and-

adb devices

If you see your device listed, good to go, type:

adb install tr.apk (making sure you're either in the same directory as the target file, or do adb install \path-to-file\tr.apk).

Finally, on your phone, locate the towelroot app, run it, and tap the make it rain button.

If all goes well, you have rooted your phone...Congratuations!

Next, you will want to install the free ES File Explorer app from Amazon app store and navigate to the System/app/ directory on your phone. Remove the files in this directory that are listed in the first post of this thread which are responsible for automatic OTA updates.

Next you will want to Google and download the Xposed Framework and the HDXposed module.

adb install their .apk flies and then install and enable them on your phone respectively.

Finally, you will be able to follow other guides on this forum for installing the Google Play Store and Google Apps! Whew! :)

Hope this helps and good luck!

Hi @Dilbert1959 - could you please post in this thread, or PM me, the towelroot apk which worked for you?
    OK I played around with it some more and got everything working rooted. I didn't realize that even after I did a factory reset it still left me on 3.5. So with that I went ahead and did the towelroot that posted in the other forum here. That rooted me. The first thing I did, as instructed was disable the DCP frameworks to stop any OTA updates. Then I installed the Google Apps. This is where problems began. I kept getting errors that the process were shut down. So on a whim I uninstalled all of the Google Apps and put on the Xposed Installer. I then installed the HDXposed module, thinking maybe that would help as it helps for the Fire tablets. I also installed the Google Apps listed in that thread. Those versions are as follows

Google Services Framework 4.0.4-338691
    Google Play services_4.4.52 (1174655-036)
    Google Account Manager_4.0.3-239410
    Google Play Store_4.6.17

I installed them in that order, in case it makes a difference. Everything worked after this. I tried to install a new launcher but couldn't. Once the launcher was installed it wouldn't let me pick a default or clear the defaults in settings. So I did a little more meddling. I downloaded Device Control from the Play Store and installed it and the requisite BusyBox Free module it needed. I opened it and ES File Manager. In Device Control I disabled the default launcher (It's called 'Home') and then backed out into ES File Manager (You'll want to have both open because once you disable the 'Home' apk you won't be able to push the home button at all) and opened another Launcher (In this case it was Go Launcher). It took over as the default. From there I could download other launchers (I tried Aviate, Google Now, Apex, and Nova) and each time it did let me pick the default from then on. I still could not get any wallpaper to load at all though. That seems to be a problem with the Fire Phone. Finally I was able to use Nova Launcher to place some wallpaper for the first time. Couldn't change it with any other Launcher at first. Now I'm able to change it with Google Now and Aviate but the others just use the ones they pick and can't pick new ones. I'm sticking with the Google Now launcher. I also installed Go Locker and am using it for the lock screen. Every once in a while the default Fire lockscreen shows up for a moment but It always changes out. I'm sure I could disable it as well but it's not bothersome enough to mess with.

All in all it took some doing but I have a pretty good functioning device now with all the Google services working. I enjoyed the phone enough on its own without messing with it but adding the Google services has really transformed it into a great device.

PS: If you put the Google Play Store on there I would set it and the Amazon App Store to manual app updates because you probably don't want the Play Store update the Amazon Apps and the Amazon Store updating the Play apps.
    Euneiro, Thanks for trying the downgrade with your own phone!

If you could, could you please stop by the R&D thread and submit an image to SafinWasi? The instructions are here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=55472516&postcount=19