[CONFIRMED] AT&T 4G LTE launching soon? and with the Galaxy S II?

Search This thread

designgears

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2010
SLC
While digging thru KG1 I found some cool images...

Seems to me like AT&T is holding onto the SGS2 for their 4G LTE launch!

stat_sys_data_lte_att_0.png
stat_sys_data_lte_att_1.png
stat_sys_data_lte_att_2.png
stat_sys_data_lte_att_3.png

4N9VC.png
89yRL.png
hKXBO.png
yfdEa.png

There is also a set without "LTE" on them for their current 4G.

xml that controls those:
stat_sys_data_lte_att.xml
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<animation-list android:oneshot="false"
  xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android">
    <item android:duration="1000" android:drawable="@drawable/stat_sys_data_lte_att_0" />
    <item android:duration="1000" android:drawable="@drawable/stat_sys_data_lte_att_1" />
    <item android:duration="1000" android:drawable="@drawable/stat_sys_data_lte_att_2" />
    <item android:duration="1000" android:drawable="@drawable/stat_sys_data_lte_att_3" />
</animation-list>

Here are the new APN's:

Code:
  <apn carrier="Cingular 380 ATT"
      mcc="310"
      mnc="380"
      apn="proxy"
      mmsc="http://mmsc.cingular.com/"
      mmsproxy="wireless.cingular.com"
      type="default,supl,mms"
  />

<apn carrier="ATT PHONE"
      mcc="310"
      mnc="410"
      apn="phone"
      type="default"
  />

<apn carrier="ATT WAP"
      mcc="310"
      mnc="410"
      apn="wap.cingular"
      mmsport="80"
      type="supl,mms"
  />

<apn carrier="BROADBAND"
      mcc="310"
      mnc="150"
      apn="broadband"
      type="dun"
  />

<apn carrier="BROADBAND"
      mcc="310"
      mnc="170"
      apn="broadband"
      type="dun"
  />

<apn carrier="BROADBAND"
      mcc="310"
      mnc="410"
      apn="broadband"
      type="dun"
  />

<apn carrier="BROADBAND"
      mcc="310"
      mnc="980"
      apn="broadband"
      type="dun"
  />

<apn carrier="BROADBAND"
      mcc="311"
      mnc="180"
      apn="broadband"
      type="dun"
  />

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
That would make so much sense. Their LTE network is supposed to launch this Summer in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Atlanta and Chicago, and they have no phone for it. Adding a device like the SGS2 as another fake-4G phone doesn't make sense. People will be falling all over themselves to get a LTE SGS2. They're only going to add 10 more cities this year so by the time their coverage gets meaningful I hope the SGS3 will be out and have native LTE support.

ddominator

Apr 27, 2010
I'm on AT&T so will they launch an LTE Galaxy S 2 or an old fashioned GSM 3G version?

I know there hasn't been an announcement so what is the most likely one.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I'm on AT&T so will they launch an LTE Galaxy S 2 or an old fashioned GSM 3G version?

I know there hasn't been an announcement so what is the most likely one.

Based on the fact that the latest firmware has PNG images of AT&T's 4G logo, I'd say them getting an LTE SGS2 is almost 100% certain. I wouldn't feel bad though. It's going to take them a year to get any meaningful coverage. By then there will be new toys for all of us to play with.

I'm kind of confused about how LTE works from carrier to carrier. For example, is VZW's LTE the same as AT&T's? Do they all use the same hardware radios? Can you roam across LTE networks? I thinks it's still too new to understand all the details.

atsim

Jan 16, 2010
belleville
Your right I'm not gonna run out and buy the us galaxy s2 no point for me,unless LTE is in new jersey

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

ddominator

Apr 27, 2010
Well I live in Chicago so I hope their LTE coverage would be better than their 3G coverage.

I do not want to shell out $200 for a freaking AT&T microcell.

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
:eek:

Really?

Darn... and I thought it would be better... I do not want to shell out $600-700 to buy a GSM version over amazon.

Its far worse. Lte phones seem to be able to drain in only a few hours. Verizon's thunderbolt was first device and delayed because of horrible battery life.

It will take a few years for the tech to mature and battery life to get better.

I have zero interest in going lte for the next few years. HSPA is plenty fast at 42 Mbps and has better battery life.

Reactions: kbiz90

ImDonly1

Oct 29, 2007
I have no interest in ATTs LTE. It will be overpriced, battery draining, and capped at 2GB.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I have no interest in ATTs LTE. It will be overpriced, battery draining, and capped at 2GB.

VZW's is $50 for 5GB so it can't be more than that. But that's still a lot of money for just data. They're only going to be in 11 markets this year which isn't a lot of coverage. Maybe they'll offer some sort of early adopter discount. I'm fine with fake-4G for $15.00 and an unmolested phone with updates directly from Samsung.

davisdlrch

Jul 22, 2010
Based on the fact that the latest firmware has PNG images of AT&T's 4G logo, I'd say them getting an LTE SGS2 is almost 100% certain. I wouldn't feel bad though. It's going to take them a year to get any meaningful coverage. By then there will be new toys for all of us to play with.

I'm kind of confused about how LTE works from carrier to carrier. For example, is VZW's LTE the same as AT&T's? Do they all use the same hardware radios? Can you roam across LTE networks? I thinks it's still too new to understand all the details.
They are the same technology, but just like T-Mobile phones don't get 3g on AT&T because they use different frequencies, AT&T and Verizon LTE will be completely incompatible fore the same reason. They use different frequencies, so their respective phones need different radios. However, it's possible to create one radio that supports ALL of their frequencies. But it will be impossible to take an Verizon phone to AT&T and vice versa

joeybear23

Aug 4, 2010
Undisclosed
stores.ebay.com
I don't know if this is pertinent, but several months ago ATT said I could only get the new equipment discount if I extended my plan in november. Last month it said I could upgrade on 7/27... Then shortly thereafter they sent me an email setting I could get the infuse for that day for $99. And sure enough I can upgrade today... It makes me think there is something about 7/27. Like they want people to get the infuse because once they release the sgs2 they won't be able to sell the infuse. I will hold out for the sgs2, even if it is january.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

tbong777

Same here and I would prefer they don't bring the SGS II over either and ruin my Medianet UL $10 data....LOL Its plenty fast enough.

They should have LTE plans and phones separate which may eliminate the SGS II. Why not just bring in the SGS III which is rumored to be released in the Fall and may have LTE technology.Samsung has decided on a 6-month release schedule for their top devices and the S3 has already been announced

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Appl...iPhone-5-both-slated-for-fall-release_id18446

LTE will be great for those with Notebooks and Tablets and maybe as a substitute for land based Internet in homes. I don;t see it as of great use on a device with one day batterylife as it is and for pushing Email and Social network Radio and video streaming works great for me on MediaNet . A little slow loading but not worth $300+ a year for a 2GB data plan. I can get content to view and listen to for far less than that.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    While digging thru KG1 I found some cool images...

Seems to me like AT&T is holding onto the SGS2 for their 4G LTE launch!

stat_sys_data_lte_att_0.png
    stat_sys_data_lte_att_1.png
    stat_sys_data_lte_att_2.png
    stat_sys_data_lte_att_3.png

4N9VC.png
    89yRL.png
    hKXBO.png
    yfdEa.png

There is also a set without "LTE" on them for their current 4G.

xml that controls those:
    stat_sys_data_lte_att.xml
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <animation-list android:oneshot="false"
      xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android">
        <item android:duration="1000" android:drawable="@drawable/stat_sys_data_lte_att_0" />
        <item android:duration="1000" android:drawable="@drawable/stat_sys_data_lte_att_1" />
        <item android:duration="1000" android:drawable="@drawable/stat_sys_data_lte_att_2" />
        <item android:duration="1000" android:drawable="@drawable/stat_sys_data_lte_att_3" />
    </animation-list>

Here are the new APN's:

Code:
      <apn carrier="Cingular 380 ATT"
          mcc="310"
          mnc="380"
          apn="proxy"
          type="default,supl,mms"
      />

<apn carrier="ATT PHONE"
          mcc="310"
          mnc="410"
          apn="phone"
          type="default"
      />

<apn carrier="ATT WAP"
          mcc="310"
          mnc="410"
          apn="wap.cingular"
          mmsport="80"
          type="supl,mms"
      />

<apn carrier="BROADBAND"
          mcc="310"
          mnc="150"
          apn="broadband"
          type="dun"
      />

<apn carrier="BROADBAND"
          mcc="310"
          mnc="170"
          apn="broadband"
          type="dun"
      />

<apn carrier="BROADBAND"
          mcc="310"
          mnc="410"
          apn="broadband"
          type="dun"
      />

<apn carrier="BROADBAND"
          mcc="310"
          mnc="980"
          apn="broadband"
          type="dun"
      />

<apn carrier="BROADBAND"
          mcc="311"
          mnc="180"
          apn="broadband"
          type="dun"
      />
    :eek:

Really?

Darn... and I thought it would be better... I do not want to shell out $600-700 to buy a GSM version over amazon.

Its far worse. Lte phones seem to be able to drain in only a few hours. Verizon's thunderbolt was first device and delayed because of horrible battery life.

It will take a few years for the tech to mature and battery life to get better.

I have zero interest in going lte for the next few years. HSPA is plenty fast at 42 Mbps and has better battery life.
    Same here and I would prefer they don't bring the SGS II over either and ruin my Medianet UL $10 data....LOL Its plenty fast enough.

They should have LTE plans and phones separate which may eliminate the SGS II. Why not just bring in the SGS III which is rumored to be released in the Fall and may have LTE techology.

Other than the Nexus', no other international phone has ever been in AT&T's database. This includes the international SGS1. There's no reason to believe AT&T carrying their version of the phone will change this.

LTE is approved to run on a dozen different frequencies worldwide. VZW and AT&T both use 700mhz but differences keep them from being compatible. Sadly, I doubt any international phone will even be able to offer roaming on LTE because of that.