ADB says phone in recovery, but screen won't turn on/can't reboot.

Search This thread

Avalanch3

Oct 4, 2010
Hey all, so yesterday my phone ran out of battery so I put it on the charger to charge. An hour later I tried to turn it on but nothing happened. Now, when I put it on the charger, even the charging indicator light will not turn on. When I try to do a hard reboot by holding down the power and volume keys, (I've held it down for like 5 minutes once) all that happens is the capacitive buttons start flashing on and off.

So after failing to try and hard reset, I plugged my phone onto two different computers. I ran ADB devices to see if it was connected and it was. It is telling me my phone is in recovery mode. When I try adb reboot bootloader or recovery, this happens:

9ors.jpg

ADB just hangs, and when I unplug my phone it comes back. I'm at a lost here, I have no clue what to do. Currently the phone is running TWRP recovery and Venom 4.4 Sense 5.5 Rom.

t1gartist

Dec 8, 2012
newport news
has your device gotten hot lately? i ask this cause it sounds like a few problems
1 bad connection to motherboard
2 battery going bad
3 motherboard going bad

also when your plugged in can you access adb shell

just for giggles find out your pvs

adb shell
su
dmesg | grep PVS

if that works then it points to possible reflash of RUU
or bad screen

its my opinion but maybe a real dev can help since im just a pawn in a kings court lol :p

Avalanch3

Oct 4, 2010
Tried the su command and it won't recognize the phone as rooted.

This would be the same error I get:

adb-shell-su.jpg

cragunk

Sep 30, 2013
I don't think the su command would work in windows this is a linux command. perhaps trying to access your phone from a linux shell would work...

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com

Uzephi

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
Charging while phone is "off" is a function of the recovery partition (at least it was for the Rezound, Inc, and X2. Should be the same for DNA). Sounds like bad battery issue. Phone is trying to charge battery, but it is borked and won't take a charge.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

Egrier

Jun 4, 2009
Hiawatha, KS
Try removing the back cover, disconnect the battery, then reconnect it. I've had to do that on my phone when it would hang and the screen would blank out. I did a battery pull and it would reboot normally.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk

Avalanch3

Oct 4, 2010
Well the phone finally ran out of battery from being in recovery. It managed to turn on but everything was messed up. No matter what ROM I flashed, it would reboot the phone a minute after being on. I RUU'ed to stock and relocked the bootloader and everything works fine now. I'll reroot later I guess, need a functioning phone more than a customized one. Odd that this happened suddenly.