[Q] Phone still encrypted after odin, stuck in bootloop

Search This thread

gowenf

Mar 11, 2009
Hi all,

I have a soft-bricked GS3 that I can't revive even after using odin 3.09. Hope you guys can help.

My encrypted phone was running CM10.1.3 and I decided to update it to CM10.2 using sideload. That didn't go well and I was stuck with the CM bootloop.

So after several tries with sideloading I decided to use odin to turn it back to stock. I tried both the stock LG1 and LK3 and both went thru the flash without issues but after the phone reboots it asks for the encrypted storage password. After the password entry it's stuck at the samsung logo bootloop. (p.s. LG1 recognized my encryption p/w but LK3 didn't)

I had flashed using odin on an encrypted phone before and I don't think the encryption stays after the odin flash. Am I missing something like flashing the bootloader together with the .tar file? I tried searching and google but can't seem to find an answer.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Hi all,

I have a soft-bricked GS3 that I can't revive even after using odin 3.09. Hope you guys can help.

My encrypted phone was running CM10.1.3 and I decided to update it to CM10.2 using sideload. That didn't go well and I was stuck with the CM bootloop.

So after several tries with sideloading I decided to use odin to turn it back to stock. I tried both the stock LG1 and LK3 and both went thru the flash without issues but after the phone reboots it asks for the encrypted storage password. After the password entry it's stuck at the samsung logo bootloop. (p.s. LG1 recognized my encryption p/w but LK3 didn't)

I had flashed using odin on an encrypted phone before and I don't think the encryption stays after the odin flash. Am I missing something like flashing the bootloader together with the .tar file? I tried searching and google but can't seem to find an answer.

Can you try booting into recovery and doing a hard wipe/factory reset? If you flashed a stock *.tar file via Odin, it should deliver a complete stock system with all partitions updated. There shouldn't be need to flash a bootloader separately.

Reactions: DaksAnkit

gowenf

Mar 11, 2009
Can you try booting into recovery and doing a hard wipe/factory reset? If you flashed a stock *.tar file via Odin, it should deliver a complete stock system with all partitions updated. There shouldn't be need to flash a bootloader separately.

Got it. Thanks!! I kept thinking that I couldn't use the recovery because CWM does not see the encrypted partition and therefore cannot do a hard wipe. I totally forgot that after odin I was back to stock recovery and therefore could do the wipe. Thanks again!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,