[Update 6-07]HTC Hero ROM for Magic by Fatal1ty

Search This thread

kev30

Jul 7, 2009
Bay Area
Hey guys, I've got a question. I started reading this thread since page one and I've gone through so many pages, and what I'd like know is where did the instructions go on the page on how to flash this rom?

I'm a complete n00b and I don't know how to flash any roms on this phone, but i'd like to. Many people in the thread stated that the first post showed how to.

Is "Rename it in update.zip
copy to sd
reboot (pressing home+power)
wipe
apply update"

The process?

Can anyone give a step by step post / thread on how to update to this rom? Thanks a bunch!

hey zkyevolved,

I'm also a complete noob to android. Here's what I did to get this HERO working on my Ion (magic):

- First, you need to root your magic, GO HERE... I used Method 2.
- Make sure you download the right recovery image for your magic. HERE If your magic is vodafone branded, download RAv1.1.1G. Rogers and unbranded versions download RAv1.1.1H.
- Make sure you do a nandroid backup first.
- Once you root your magic, download Fatal1ty's Hero v1.4 rom on this thread
- Rename the zip to "update.zip"
- Copy to sd card
- Power off your phone
- With the USB plugged in, hold the Back and Power keys (to get back in the fastboot mode)
- Open up DOS Command Prompt under windows
- type those cd commands to redirect to your tool directory of your extract sdk you downloaded (Ex: c:\android\sdk\tools)
- Still under the command prompt, type this: fastboot boot recovery-Av1.1.1.H.img or fastboot boot recovery-Av1.1.1.G.img
- On your phone screen, select "Wipe data/factory reset"
- After it finishes that, select "Apple sdcard:update.zip"
- Will take a couple of minutes
- Reset phone and you should be in the HERO rom. (Make sure you unplug your USB)
- Initial boot up going into the new rom will take a while. have patient.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

npw

Mar 12, 2007
Ok, I have switched to 1.4 today (from a non-Hero build) and stripped out all of the Hero stuff that I don't actually want from the update.zip and resigned. I removed Rosie and a whole lot of other stuff becase to be honest, the browser and the Hero "look" are the only things that I am interested in now anyway. I also removed andrea.baccega.andrinit.apk (swap?) as this seemed to eventually slow things down. The result was a prety damn snappy OS... HOWEVER... I am still missing some SMS's.

There does seem to be a pattern, for me at least anyway. If I send a message I get the reply, if I reply to that message I WILL NOT get the reply.

I have tested this a couple of times and it seems consistent.

Strangely, on jerpelea's 001 Hero build I did not see this issue but have since tested his 002 and 004 and Fatl1ty's 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 and unfortunately see the issue on them all.

Back to the Hero themed HTC build it is for me i'm afraid!

Thanks for the hard work none the less, I am still tempted back on a daily basis!!!

I am having the same emotional rollercoaster. I have had to return to using an ION rom, a shame as the SMS issue is the only one I having, everything else was running very smoothly. Its a fairly big issue though, phones normally are just used for calls and texts :)

Heres hoping something comes to light.

shingers5

Inactive Recognized Contributor
hey zkyevolved,

I'm also a complete noob to android. Here's what I did to get this HERO working on my Ion (magic):

- First, you need to root your magic, GO HERE... I used Method 2.
- Make sure you download the right recovery image for your magic. HERE If your magic is vodafone branded, download RAv1.1.1G. Rogers and unbranded versions download RAv1.1.1H.
- Make sure you do a nandroid backup first.
- Once you root your magic, download Fatal1ty's Hero v1.4 rom on this thread
- Rename the zip to "update.zip"
- Copy to sd card
- Power off your phone
- With the USB plugged in, hold the Back and Power keys (to get back in the fastboot mode)
- Open up DOS Command Prompt under windows
- type those cd commands to redirect to your tool directory of your extract sdk you downloaded (Ex: c:\android\sdk\tools)
- Still under the command prompt, type this: fastboot boot recovery-Av1.1.1.H.img or fastboot boot recovery-Av1.1.1.G.img
- On your phone screen, select "Wipe data/factory reset"
- After it finishes that, select "Apple sdcard:update.zip"
- Will take a couple of minutes
- Reset phone and you should be in the HERO rom. (Make sure you unplug your USB)
- Initial boot up going into the new rom will take a while. have patient.

Hope this helps.

wow don't even do all that...........once magic/ion is rooted i change the name of the rom file to update.zip and copy to mem card. i use either the mount card option or external mem card reader. don't even need to plug in phone. after you copy update.zip to mem card.....with phone off press home and back buttons and it will bring up boot menu. choose to wipe device and the install sd card update.zip..........that easy and none of that adb push nonsense. HOLLA!

shingers5

I have found one or two problems at the moment with this build

• Contact photo wont update from facebook (mine as well)
  • I get the "SD is corrupt" problem now if i mount thene demount the card
  • Peep doesnt work for me - dont get any updates or unknown respons from server
  • Cant sync with pc - get force close

Other than this it is working quite well - i get a few freeze ups - especially when listening to music and i need to do something else - like answer the phone

Paul

facebook photo fine
no sd card error
no sync issues at all

lag is there and thats it.

hughyb

Jul 1, 2009
Manchester
Ok, I have switched to 1.4 today (from a non-Hero build) and stripped out all of the Hero stuff that I don't actually want from the update.zip and resigned. I removed Rosie and a whole lot of other stuff becase to be honest, the browser and the Hero "look" are the only things that I am interested in now anyway. I also removed andrea.baccega.andrinit.apk (swap?) as this seemed to eventually slow things down. The result was a prety damn snappy OS... HOWEVER... I am still missing some SMS's.

There does seem to be a pattern, for me at least anyway. If I send a message I get the reply, if I reply to that message I WILL NOT get the reply.

I have tested this a couple of times and it seems consistent.

Strangely, on jerpelea's 001 Hero build I did not see this issue but have since tested his 002 and 004 and Fatl1ty's 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 and unfortunately see the issue on them all.

Back to the Hero themed HTC build it is for me i'm afraid!

Thanks for the hard work none the less, I am still tempted back on a daily basis!!!

Timmy1980 I must echo your comments, i have just got back to my original rom but am tempted by each new rom that comes along but the missing text and the gradual slowing down has pushed me back. I think the work done by these guys is amazing and appreciate it all and their guidance but I may just wait until there is a real buzz about the next rom.

ANy chance you can point me in the direction of the hero themed htc build?

frankinmerth

Jul 9, 2009
I tried the rogers magic v1.4 build as per the instructions here:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1545226

So far so good for the most part functional.

Issues I've had:
1. nandroid backup froze, so no backup
2. Ringtones extended does not seem to engage/work, installed it first from an sdcard backup, then reinstalled from app store, still no go.
3. Had one issue where vibe got stuck on during a call
4. occasional really long durations of 'loading' when using applications.

bcrook

Jun 16, 2009
Toronto
wow don't even do all that...........once magic/ion is rooted i change the name of the rom file to update.zip and copy to mem card. i use either the mount card option or external mem card reader. don't even need to plug in phone. after you copy update.zip to mem card.....with phone off press home and back buttons and it will bring up boot menu. choose to wipe device and the install sd card update.zip..........that easy and none of that adb push nonsense. HOLLA!

This is the best way to do it but it will only work that way if you have flashed the rooted recovery:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=4029315&postcount=1

Otherwise you dont get the option to wipe/update/backup/ etc and will get a different recovery screen which an exclamation sign and a phone.

Last edited:

cj136uk

Nov 4, 2005
SD card curruption

this is not mounting and unmounting the card automatically. it then says that basically it's corrupted but will NOT format.
if you take the card out and reinsert it crashes the device!
ARGH
J

shingers5

this is not mounting and unmounting the card automatically. it then says that basically it's corrupted but will NOT format.
if you take the card out and reinsert it crashes the device!
ARGH
J

annoying isn't it? i had to pull my battery to get it back ok. still looks so good doesn't it? i love it and can't wait for new update without lag............

mysticon

Jun 29, 2007
ok, im kinda lost here. tryed to install this 2 times whitout sucsess. So im here and going to ask for some help, since i realy need it.

My problem is that afther i run the update.zip and rebot the device dont whant to boot/start up. just hang on HTC MAGIC. gave it about 20min the 2. time.

my phone:
SAPPHIRE PVT 32A ENG S-OFF H
HBOOT-1.33.2005 (SAPP10000)
CPLD-12
RADIO 3.22.20.17
apr20 2009, 12:30:43

So what do i need to do, is my HBOOT and Radio ok to take this step? and i did not find the swapinfo file anywhere on my computer or device.

Thanks in advance for any reply to this post and good work on the theme, just hope i also can enjoy it soon :)

C.PYKE

Jul 8, 2009
Ottawa
I think I've found the timezone / SMS issue -

In the system properties, the following shows when one does a "getprop": [persist.sys.timezone]: [America/Regina]

Regina is of course, GMT-6 and doesn't follow DST.

In my default Rogers ROM, the same field shows as: [persist.sys.timezone]: [America/Toronto]

I've also noticed, and I'm not sure if it's related, that when running Hero on the Magic, it's unable to send or receive MMS. It's fine with the default Rogers ROM.

Any insight, or any data I can help gather for the really smart folks?

Johnny5Walker

Jul 6, 2009

In the system properties, the following shows when one does a "getprop": [persist.sys.timezone]: [America/Regina]

In my default Rogers ROM, the same field shows as: [persist.sys.timezone]: [America/Toronto]

I've also noticed, and I'm not sure if it's related, that when running Hero on the Magic, it's unable to send or receive MMS. It's fine with the default Rogers ROM.

i dont know about the sms issue, i just changed my timezone to gmt -2, and then manually entered my time, (although now my main clock is always 3 hours behind, while the clock in the top right of the screen is correct.????)

but for the mms issue, what do you have entered in your apn settings??
you mmsc should be http://mms.gprs.rogers.com and your mms proxy should be 10.128.1.69 on mms port 80. honestly i havent tried it on mine yet, but i know that whats supposed to be in there.

froesei

Jun 19, 2005
Winnipeg

here's the default Rogers APN settings that come standard on the Magic....change yours to match these and your mms should work:

one apn named rogers
apn: rogers-core-appl1.apn
proxy: empty
port: empty
username: empty
password: empty
server: empty
mmsc: http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
mms proxy: 10.128.1.69
mms port: 80
mcc: 302
mnc: 720
apn type: empty

marc_hav

Jul 6, 2009
ok, im kinda lost here. tryed to install this 2 times whitout sucsess. So im here and going to ask for some help, since i realy need it.

My problem is that afther i run the update.zip and rebot the device dont whant to boot/start up. just hang on HTC MAGIC. gave it about 20min the 2. time.

my phone:
SAPPHIRE PVT 32A ENG S-OFF H
HBOOT-1.33.2005 (SAPP10000)
CPLD-12
RADIO 3.22.20.17
apr20 2009, 12:30:43

So what do i need to do, is my HBOOT and Radio ok to take this step? and i did not find the swapinfo file anywhere on my computer or device.

Thanks in advance for any reply to this post and good work on the theme, just hope i also can enjoy it soon :)

This ROM is for PVT32B boards (Vodafone Magic)

mysticon

Jun 29, 2007
oooh.. wel then i we know where my problem is. is there anything i can/should do about that or do i just need to find another hero rom?

Thanks for the reply