[ROM] Bluetooth Tether ROM for Omate TrueSmart 1.1.1 [2014-04-25]

Search This thread

Dees_Troy

Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 31, 2008
KC MO
www.teamw.in
Changes for 1.1.1:
-Fix issues with being unable to reconnect after a disconnect -- no more needing to reboot after a disconnect
-Fix issue where the check box needed to connect to another device would not show up sometimes
-Fixed a blank toast message that was trying to report a disconnect, now shows a proper error message
-Updated boot logo to one with the teamwin text
1.1.1 is currently only being released as a patch to apply on top of an existing 1.0.0 install.
If you are already running 1.0.0, simply install the update zip. No wiping is needed for the update.
If you don't have my ROM installed right now, you will need to factory reset, install both the 1.0.0 zip followed by the 1.1.1 zip.
There is only one update zip for all models.
We need someone who has a 1GB/8GB/2100MHz model to contact us and supply a boot image from this model of device so that we can offer a properly working boot.img.
Mirror 1
Mirror 2

What this ROM does not have:
-Gestures for back and menu do not work out of he box (there's an Xposed module that you can install to enable them that is free in the Play Store or another app that does not need Xposed documented further down in this post)
-Status bar does not hide itself
-Home + Power does not take a screenshot (Xposed can add screenshot options to the power menu)
-No companion mode that lets you receive calls, texts -- use SWApp Link free in the Play Store for this
-AGPS assistance data doesn't download by default. Use GPS Status and Toolbox to download it instead. GPS is confirmed working.
-Camera is rotated 90 degrees
-If you open the camera app and press the button to use the non-existant front facing camera, the app will FC. You will have to clear app data on the camera app to use the camera again.
-Many APNs are not included. You might have to add yours manually. This is a tethering ROM, not intended to be used with a SIM card.
-Some of the numbers on the stock dialer are not accessible - may be able to fix this with xposed and change the app's dpi.

What this ROM does have that stock Omate does not:
-Fully working native Bluetooth tethering to your phone including push notifications
-Fully working settings app including the ability to delete and change account settings
-Already has EnSec and build prop tweaks
-SuperSU

This is built using some MTK 6572 source for a different device. As such some things will be a lot different and that is the reason that items like the gestures for back and menu do not work.

You do not have to start with a stock ROM. This ROM will completely replace your existing system and boot/kernel.

Download the correct zip for your device. If you don't see your model listed, contact us and DO NOT install:
Mirror 1
Mirror 2
Install TWRP if you haven't and make a backup of your existing System, Data, and Boot
Factory reset
Install zip and reboot. First boot will take longer than usual
On first boot you will see the Welcome screen. Tap in the 4 corners of the app itself (not including the status bar) in a clockwise fashion (see here).
On your phone, turn on Bluetooth, enable Bluetooth tethering, and make your phone visible for pairing
On the watch, open settings. If you don't have a SIM card in the watch, go to more and check the box for airplane mode.
Turn on Bluetooth, find and pair with your phone.
Click on the Settings icon to the right of your phone's name (this is on the watch) Tap on Internet access.
Enjoy!

You will probably want to install Xposed:
You'll probably want to download All in one gestures from the Play Store.
Open Xposed Installer in app drawer, tap on Frameworks. Tap Install/Update. Grant root rights.
Still in Xposed, hit Ok after the install is done. Press the back button (icon in the upper left will also go back). Click on Modules. Check the box for GravityBox and All in one gestures (and probably any other modules).
Still in Xposed, hit back, Frameworks. Scroll down and reboot. Click Okay.
After reboot, open app drawer and find GravityBox, scroll down to Power tweaks. Check the top box for Advanced reboot menu and the box for Screenshot.
Open the All in one gestures app. Tap on the Swipe tab. Enable it. Scroll down to Left Area and tap on it. Choose Menu. Scroll down and tap on Right Area and choose Back.
Click on the All in one gestures icon in the upper left to slide open the menu. Tap on Transparency & Color. Slide the second slider all the way to the left to get rid of the glowing icons on the left and right.
You now have screen shot capability and have restored the stock gestures.

Press and hold power. Press Reboot. Press Reboot. Press OK.

Other recommended apps:
PNF or Push Notifications Fixer - You can use this app to change the frequency that the watch pings Google. When your phone changes connections (e.g. mobile network to Wi-Fi) the framework notifies all apps including apps like Hangouts that the connection has changed so that those apps can reconnect and get push notifications. Unfortunately your phone will not tell your watch when connections change. This app will help you start getting push notifications sooner after a connection change.
GMD Gesture Control - The free version can add a back button gesture. You'll have to buy the paid version to get the menu gesture back.
If you install Xposed framework, you can install this free module called All in one gestures and tweak it to enable gestures for the back and menu buttons.

Notes:

Bluetooth tethering had to be slowed down quite a bit to prevent the driver from crashing. We've slowed it down by setting the tcp buffer sizes really low. You can change the values of net.tcp.buffersize.bt to tweak it if you like. The crash seems to be kernel level or maybe even chip / hardware level.
Bluetooth on MTK is somewhat unstable. If it disconnects due to a driver crash, you may have to reboot the device to get Bluetooth working again. With version 1.1.1, you can probably just reconnect without having to reboot.
I am very busy. I probably won't have time to provide much support for this ROM. I don't owe you anything. If you don't like this ROM, I'll refund your full purchase price of free.

Special thanks to @Lokifish Marz @AdamOutler @toastcfh and @kuronosan

Last edited:

ornobohornish

Jun 3, 2013
Can anybody please tell me what is the bettary life if i use it moderately ?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

syounger64

Mar 25, 2012
don't extract it.
move it into the watch. boot in recovery mode and install zip.
make sure you have a backup of your system if things go sour.
ALWAYS BACKUP BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!!!

Thanks but after installing goomanager. It says denied supers request. How do I fix that? How do u boot in recovery mode if my power button isn't doing anything when I press it? When I want to back up of my system is that done via goomanager or supersu?

Sorry for all these questions as I'm not familiar with this process.

wildcatbn

Jan 15, 2007
First thing I did was install myglass app and try and connect it to glass and it still crashes. Oh well hopefully we are going to get something good out of the source release. Thanks Dee's for all you do.

syounger64

Mar 25, 2012
Sigh.... after reading this I got up to install the patch. The watch slipped off my wrist and fell on the floor. The metal clamp came off but I was able to put it back on then found out the power button wasn't working. I don't know if it was the result of the fall but while I was looking at supersu I might have hit on something and the watch rebooted then got stuck until the battery drained out. Is it possible that the power button was disabled?

cdrom1028

Jul 22, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
plus.google.com
WOW, so I get mt watches on a Thursday and the best ROM yet comes out on Friday? I couldn't be more excited .. Awesome!

Not that I wont be installing this , just a quick question.. @Dees_Troy what version on the standard android mail client is included in this rom? I havent been able to get my watch logged into exchange. this is a big deal for me as I need to calendar to sync my appointments. Email and contacts from exchange on my watch are not that big a deal for me but the appointments are. Thanks and looking forward to checking out your efforts..

Last edited:

fg

Aug 3, 2006
I use gravitybox to enable the navigation bar @60% on stock rom, but can't get it enabled with this rom. is it completely pulled from the framework or is there some other trick to enable the navbar?

kp12584

Feb 18, 2014
Installation aborted

While attempting to install this ROM, I keep receiving the 'Installation aborted' message in recovery. I'm running Loki's setup on my 1/8/1900mhz Omate. Also, when I plug my watch in to my laptop with USB debugging mode on I cannot execute any adb command prompts.

I don't know if the two are related...but I'm sure it is something I screwed up.

Any thoughts?

jaskru

May 23, 2010
After install I am having apn issues. On Loki's operative I can get H+ data but only Edge with this. Any suggestions? GoPhone APN settings are correct and have also tried the Att one too.

Everything else seems great so far. Testing BT with Glass next. Will update the post afterwards.

edit#1- I can successfully pair Glass as a headset and also bluetooth tether data. MyGlass does not force close but will not connect when it sees the device.

edit#2- APN settings are borked for HSPA+....

Last edited:

H3ll0w0rld08

Mar 18, 2014
unable to use for internet access

when i check the box to enable internet access, nothing happens.

I am using 1/8/1900 TS

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Changes for 1.1.1:
    -Fix issues with being unable to reconnect after a disconnect -- no more needing to reboot after a disconnect
    -Fix issue where the check box needed to connect to another device would not show up sometimes
    -Fixed a blank toast message that was trying to report a disconnect, now shows a proper error message
    -Updated boot logo to one with the teamwin text
    1.1.1 is currently only being released as a patch to apply on top of an existing 1.0.0 install.
    If you are already running 1.0.0, simply install the update zip. No wiping is needed for the update.
    If you don't have my ROM installed right now, you will need to factory reset, install both the 1.0.0 zip followed by the 1.1.1 zip.
    There is only one update zip for all models.
    We need someone who has a 1GB/8GB/2100MHz model to contact us and supply a boot image from this model of device so that we can offer a properly working boot.img.
    Mirror 1
    Mirror 2

What this ROM does not have:
    -Gestures for back and menu do not work out of he box (there's an Xposed module that you can install to enable them that is free in the Play Store or another app that does not need Xposed documented further down in this post)
    -Status bar does not hide itself
    -Home + Power does not take a screenshot (Xposed can add screenshot options to the power menu)
    -No companion mode that lets you receive calls, texts -- use SWApp Link free in the Play Store for this
    -AGPS assistance data doesn't download by default. Use GPS Status and Toolbox to download it instead. GPS is confirmed working.
    -Camera is rotated 90 degrees
    -If you open the camera app and press the button to use the non-existant front facing camera, the app will FC. You will have to clear app data on the camera app to use the camera again.
    -Many APNs are not included. You might have to add yours manually. This is a tethering ROM, not intended to be used with a SIM card.
    -Some of the numbers on the stock dialer are not accessible - may be able to fix this with xposed and change the app's dpi.

What this ROM does have that stock Omate does not:
    -Fully working native Bluetooth tethering to your phone including push notifications
    -Fully working settings app including the ability to delete and change account settings
    -Already has EnSec and build prop tweaks
    -SuperSU

This is built using some MTK 6572 source for a different device. As such some things will be a lot different and that is the reason that items like the gestures for back and menu do not work.

You do not have to start with a stock ROM. This ROM will completely replace your existing system and boot/kernel.

Download the correct zip for your device. If you don't see your model listed, contact us and DO NOT install:
    Mirror 1
    Mirror 2
    Install TWRP if you haven't and make a backup of your existing System, Data, and Boot
    Factory reset
    Install zip and reboot. First boot will take longer than usual
    On first boot you will see the Welcome screen. Tap in the 4 corners of the app itself (not including the status bar) in a clockwise fashion (see here).
    On your phone, turn on Bluetooth, enable Bluetooth tethering, and make your phone visible for pairing
    On the watch, open settings. If you don't have a SIM card in the watch, go to more and check the box for airplane mode.
    Turn on Bluetooth, find and pair with your phone.
    Click on the Settings icon to the right of your phone's name (this is on the watch) Tap on Internet access.
    Enjoy!

You will probably want to install Xposed:
    You'll probably want to download All in one gestures from the Play Store.
    Open Xposed Installer in app drawer, tap on Frameworks. Tap Install/Update. Grant root rights.
    Still in Xposed, hit Ok after the install is done. Press the back button (icon in the upper left will also go back). Click on Modules. Check the box for GravityBox and All in one gestures (and probably any other modules).
    Still in Xposed, hit back, Frameworks. Scroll down and reboot. Click Okay.
    After reboot, open app drawer and find GravityBox, scroll down to Power tweaks. Check the top box for Advanced reboot menu and the box for Screenshot.
    Open the All in one gestures app. Tap on the Swipe tab. Enable it. Scroll down to Left Area and tap on it. Choose Menu. Scroll down and tap on Right Area and choose Back.
    Click on the All in one gestures icon in the upper left to slide open the menu. Tap on Transparency & Color. Slide the second slider all the way to the left to get rid of the glowing icons on the left and right.
    You now have screen shot capability and have restored the stock gestures.

Press and hold power. Press Reboot. Press Reboot. Press OK.

Other recommended apps:
    PNF or Push Notifications Fixer - You can use this app to change the frequency that the watch pings Google. When your phone changes connections (e.g. mobile network to Wi-Fi) the framework notifies all apps including apps like Hangouts that the connection has changed so that those apps can reconnect and get push notifications. Unfortunately your phone will not tell your watch when connections change. This app will help you start getting push notifications sooner after a connection change.
    GMD Gesture Control - The free version can add a back button gesture. You'll have to buy the paid version to get the menu gesture back.
    If you install Xposed framework, you can install this free module called All in one gestures and tweak it to enable gestures for the back and menu buttons.

Notes:

Bluetooth tethering had to be slowed down quite a bit to prevent the driver from crashing. We've slowed it down by setting the tcp buffer sizes really low. You can change the values of net.tcp.buffersize.bt to tweak it if you like. The crash seems to be kernel level or maybe even chip / hardware level.
    Bluetooth on MTK is somewhat unstable. If it disconnects due to a driver crash, you may have to reboot the device to get Bluetooth working again. With version 1.1.1, you can probably just reconnect without having to reboot.
    I am very busy. I probably won't have time to provide much support for this ROM. I don't owe you anything. If you don't like this ROM, I'll refund your full purchase price of free.

Special thanks to @Lokifish Marz @AdamOutler @toastcfh and @kuronosan
    Backup of firmware

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B099RU3-XRVgZ2dHZUd3SDd3eG8/edit?usp=sharing

Baseband: MOLY.WR8.W1315.MD.WG.MP.V4, 2013/08/14 18:16
    Kernel: 3.4.5
    OUI: 2.1
    Build: Omate_TrueSmart_20140513.103530_V2.0
    Tweaked APKs

I used this ROM as a basis for a custom ROM for the Abardeen F80, with success. Thanks a lot to Dees_Troy and others who contributed to this ROM, because fixing problems in the stock F80 ROM was hopeless.

I made layout tweaks to several APKs that can be back-ported to this ROM, so I thought I'd share them here.
    • Contacts.apk: optimized the layout of the dialer, resolution tweak is no longer needed.
    • Phone.apk: similar fix for in-call dial pad.
    • MtkBt.apk: taken from the F80 ROM. This one adds support for Bluetooth input devices. I didn't test tethering, but when comparing with the original, I am pretty sure this one only adds features without removing any.
    • SoundRecorder.apk: now usable without resolution tweaks.
    • SetupWizard.apk: made the ‘start’ button accessible so the wizard can be used normally.
    • framework-res.apk: improved lock screen layouts (especially pattern lock).

The APKs can be swapped on a live ROM if you know what you are doing, but the safest way is to make the modifications in the system image and re-flash it, and purge the Dalvik cache. Of course, use at your own risk.

I also found a way to make OOM settings stick: because something seems to overwrite them after init.d, do the call in a ‘delayed fork’. Add this to the end of /etc/init.d/99loki:

Code:
    (
    sleep 30;
    echo "4096,8192,16384,32768,49152,65536" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree;
    ) &