[RECOVERY] CWMR 5.5.0.4 for I957 (LTE)

Search This thread

utkanos

Mar 23, 2011
chicago
Hello,

I have ported the latest clockworkmod recovery to the galaxy 8.9 LTE i957 tablet.

This is a recovery and not a kernel, thus you can run whatever you wish.

Instructions:

0) MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AN I957, do not flash this otherwise.
1) Flash this file via ODIN: CWMR5x_i957_recovery.tar.md5
2) Attempt a backup (there appears to be a bug in 5.5.0.4 that long names can possibly cause it to hang during a backup.) If it works or fails, reboot and mount your tablet in your OS. If you get hung, adb shell into your device and reboot it.
3) After your tab is mounted, go into the clockworkmod folder and create an EMPTY FILE with NO EXTENSION called .hidenandroidprogress

Note the period and lack of extension. This prevents the backup routine from enumerating the file list which I suspect is causing the hang during backup.

This is considered an ALPHA release with only two users thus far. No loss of data or damage was caused in the testing of this file. Please try it and report any issues you have with it. I am hoping this opens up the development for this device. I personally dont have it nor did I have access to one when I ported this so I need the community's help to track down issues/bugs. This was a pretty big challenge to get everything working right.

The full device tree I built for this can be found here:
android_device_samsung_SGHI957
Feel free to use this however you wish, though please give credit if it helps you devs.

Thanks to orlandoxpolice and jaywheelz for patiently testing this thus far.

Last edited:

modestone

Apr 30, 2011
This is amazing utkanos!

I'm gonna send ya another donation for all your hard work!

wahoooo!

Oh and hey I helped too, sacrificed one tab to the samsung gods!

Last edited:
Reactions: utkanos

orlandoxpolice

Mar 6, 2007
I have tested everything with this recovery except for sd card re partitioning, wipe data / factory reset, and restore (nandroid).

Known Issues:
If you enter key test, you cant back out.
nandroid backup may hang for some users, the .hidenandroidprogress may have fixed this.
mounting and unmounting data is finicky sometimes.

Reactions: ALD3

orlandoxpolice

Mar 6, 2007
Same file. I also installed cwm from market and enabled quick recovery and it worked

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using xda premium

JayWheelz

Dec 13, 2009
PA
I thought cwm from the market causes our tab to go haywire. Is it the as what utkanos did or a different version?

orlandoxpolice

Mar 6, 2007
You can install the program just don't flash its recovery. Go into options and enable quick recovery

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using xda premium

Ikaro

Mar 29, 2008
Cagliari
Recovery

Ok guys
I installed the recovery in my new SGH-I957 and all went well, now I have only tried the "wipe Dalvik cache" and it works great!
Utkanos Thanks for the work done! ;)

Max

Ikaro

Mar 29, 2008
Cagliari
Try to make a backup

First testing the backup, the tablet hangs while copying the file "android.hardware.location.xml"

So I created the file ".hidenandroidprogress" (with Polaris office) and I have saved in the dir "clockworkMod/backup." I tried again to backup and it worked.

Now I have to try a restore, but I will tomorrow or the next!

Max

modestone

Apr 30, 2011
So was a restore successful?

If so, I may factory reset mine, root, wipe all the junkware/bloatware, garbage bookmarks, do my browser tweaks, a few other random bits and pieces, and post it up here as a cleaned up, rooted stock rom.

chonkers

Jul 22, 2010
Don't have the success of installing it.. it said is a wrong tar or md5 file and it soft bricked it.. guess I'll wait for the next update.. thanks again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

I have ported the latest clockworkmod recovery to the galaxy 8.9 LTE i957 tablet.

This is a recovery and not a kernel, thus you can run whatever you wish.

Instructions:

0) MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AN I957, do not flash this otherwise.
    1) Flash this file via ODIN: CWMR5x_i957_recovery.tar.md5
    2) Attempt a backup (there appears to be a bug in 5.5.0.4 that long names can possibly cause it to hang during a backup.) If it works or fails, reboot and mount your tablet in your OS. If you get hung, adb shell into your device and reboot it.
    3) After your tab is mounted, go into the clockworkmod folder and create an EMPTY FILE with NO EXTENSION called .hidenandroidprogress

Note the period and lack of extension. This prevents the backup routine from enumerating the file list which I suspect is causing the hang during backup.

This is considered an ALPHA release with only two users thus far. No loss of data or damage was caused in the testing of this file. Please try it and report any issues you have with it. I am hoping this opens up the development for this device. I personally dont have it nor did I have access to one when I ported this so I need the community's help to track down issues/bugs. This was a pretty big challenge to get everything working right.

The full device tree I built for this can be found here:
    android_device_samsung_SGHI957
    Feel free to use this however you wish, though please give credit if it helps you devs.

Thanks to orlandoxpolice and jaywheelz for patiently testing this thus far.
    Restore works!!

Ok modestone this is for you (and for all).
    My actual SGH-i957 configuration:

Backup:

Wipe/factory reset:

Original SGH-i957 configuration:

Restore:

Et voilà, my original configuration:

Restore works!

Max
    Can someone provide a CWM flashable zip file with the .hidenandroidprogress file... Just to test it and be all 100% sure of the issue... And another zip that removes it... So there is no manual intervention by my part...

Here you go. This will write a 100 byte empty file to your CWM folder. Tested and works. You might be having trouble due to the way your creating the empty file. I created it in Win 7 via CL using the following command syntax: fsutil file createnew <name of your file> <size in bytes>.

I could create a zip to remove it if you really want, but I'd have to look up the syntax. Don't want to accidentally blow away your CWM directory:D Just as easy to delete it via root explorer.

Ikaro, feel free to link this in your OP if you think it would make it easier for people.
    Try to make a backup

First testing the backup, the tablet hangs while copying the file "android.hardware.location.xml"

So I created the file ".hidenandroidprogress" (with Polaris office) and I have saved in the dir "clockworkMod/backup." I tried again to backup and it worked.

Now I have to try a restore, but I will tomorrow or the next!

Max
    OP updated with alpha build