T-Mobile update?

Search This thread

jinda628

Nov 12, 2012
New York
You will need to unroot and then buy Triangle Away from Google Play. Once you use Triangle Away and are unrooted you will then get the uodate.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

I did this last night. I bought Triangle Away and reset the counter to 1. It was previously 2 when I rooted the 1st time. Then unroot and factory reset. But when I check the status, it still say modified so the same message "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available" shows up again.

What is supposed to be on my device status if its not rooted? It says modified right now even when I unrooted it last night. Thanks.

Edit: Btw, I checked the update using the check update from phone. Is there other ways to check let's say Kies?

Last edited:

jinda628

Nov 12, 2012
New York
Are you on a full stock rom now, including stock recovery?

I didnt really install any ROM when I rooted. I just root to be able to use apps that needs it rooted.
After not being able to get the update last night, I rooted it again and restored my apps but on stock rom.

But I am open to trying it again tonight if there are some recommendations.

danterakin

Jul 17, 2011
San Francisco
You have to be on stock recovery to not be modified. If you still have CWM or TWRP, then you will always get the modified device pop up. Triangle Away just resets the binary so that there is no trace that you modified the device.

I didnt really install any ROM when I rooted. I just root to be able to use apps that needs it rooted.
After not being able to get the update last night, I rooted it again and restored my apps but on stock rom.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: jinda628

jinda628

Nov 12, 2012
New York
You have to be on stock recovery to not be modified. If you still have CWM or TWRP, then you will always get the modified device pop up. Triangle Away just resets the binary so that there is no trace that you modified the device.

I see. How do I get to stock recovery? Really appreciate the help, very new on this.

Edit: I found this link:

http://www.andromods.com/unroot-loc...estore-stock-no-root-reset-flash-counter.html

But maybe you guys recommend something else. TIA.

Edit2: Well after reading the above link. Its exactly the same thing I did except I didnt uninstall Triangle Away after resetting the counter.

- I reset the counter
- Opened SuperSU and full unroot
- Recovery then factory reset/wipe

Then I checked and its still modified. I just followed this:

If you want to unroot for some reason :

From stock rom and root by Chainfire method all you need to do : Triangle Away app ,SuperSU / setting/ full unroot. Reboot into Recovery / Factory reset.

Anyway, I'll try it again tonight. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

bones718

Jan 2, 2013
are all tmobile note 2 updates suppose to be the same in the usa regardless of region?

some of you guys are mentioning you have the 4.1.2 update. i still am on 4.1.1 and wondering when i will get the ota notification.

jinda628

Nov 12, 2012
New York
I'm sure you can just do recovery but as of now I don't know where to find just the recovery. The method Zedomax does is a complete package of everything stock.

So unrooting using superSU doesnt really unroot my phone?
Is it OK to try Zedomax's procedure even if I didnt flash any custom ROM when I root?

danterakin

Jul 17, 2011
San Francisco
So unrooting using superSU doesnt really unroot my phone?
Is it OK to try Zedomax's procedure even if I didnt flash any custom ROM when I root?

It's fine to do Zedomax procedure. You will just lose whatever is in your internal hard drive so make sure you transfer everything to your external hard drive. You're considered rooted when you have superuser and un rooted when superuser is deleted but you will still be considered modified because your recovery is not stock.

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
are all tmobile note 2 updates suppose to be the same in the usa regardless of region?

some of you guys are mentioning you have the 4.1.2 update. i still am on 4.1.1 and wondering when i will get the ota notification.

Yes they are the same across the board once the ota is complete. The guys running 4.1.2 are either running a non stock rom or are not using the SGH-T889.

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement

msoren8

Jun 7, 2010
Belmont
Yes they are the same across the board once the ota is complete. The guys running 4.1.2 are either running a non stock rom or are not using the SGH-T889.

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement

Im not sure why this happens but you dont have to unroot or uninstall super user or any of that.......completely unneccessaary. I wanted to get multi-window but couldnt because I dfidnt have the Tmobile update. My phone is rooted and on a stock ROM and was getting the same message (myphone had been modified). All you have to do is make sure that your phone is over 50% charged and use Kies air to update. As soon as you plug it in, Kies will recognize that the phone is not updated. Simply click yes and let it rip.

jinda628

Nov 12, 2012
New York
It's fine to do Zedomax procedure. You will just lose whatever is in your internal hard drive so make sure you transfer everything to your external hard drive. You're considered rooted when you have superuser and un rooted when superuser is deleted but you will still be considered modified because your recovery is not stock.

Ok I followed exactly zedomax procedure and flashed the stock firmware I downloaded for T889. When I checked the status, it still show modified. I thought I will try to connect to kies after it to check if it will give me the update. Kies updated my phone to UVALL4 now even if the status says modified. It remains modified even after the update.

gybydyzu.jpg

Why can't I make it normal?

I haven't rooted it back again after the update.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

mingkee

Ok I followed exactly zedomax procedure and flashed the stock firmware I downloaded for T889. When I checked the status, it still show modified. I thought I will try to connect to kies after it to check if it will give me the update. Kies updated my phone to UVALL4 now even if the status says modified. It remains modified even after the update.

gybydyzu.jpg

Why can't I make it normal?

I haven't rooted it back again after the update.

Buy Triangle Away from Play Store (to support the developers).
There are two check boxes at the bottom. Check both of them and restart the phone.

jinda628

Nov 12, 2012
New York
I have the donor version of TA. I'm not even rooted yet again. I just flashed the stocked rom and just got the official firmware update to vall4. It should not show modified in the status.

Last edited:

jinda628

Nov 12, 2012
New York
Hey guys, thanks for all the responses. This is not even my thread but I thought since its related to the OP's, I decided to just chime in. But I still dont get it :(
If I am unrooted and went back to stock rom, my device status shouldn't be modified right?

This is what I did to unroot and to make it stock:

1. I downloaded the stock firmware for T889 from this site - http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/. Its about 800MB zipped.
  2. I run Triangle Away to reset counter
  3. Reboot device to download mode and run Odin and flashed the stock firmware

At this point, I have unrooted the device already. But when I checked the status, its still modified.
  4. I connect to Kies and got the update from VALK8 to VALL4.

I'm still modified after the update.

So right now, I am still unrooted and was hoping to see the status go back to normal or official or whatever it should be from the 1st time I got the phone. Before I root it again:D

Please note that this is the 2nd try I did unrooting my phone and bringing it to stock. The 1st method is unrooting thru SuperSU and recovery, factory reset. But still same result, MODIFIED.

Did I miss something from the above? Please forgive me for asking too much, I am really new to this. Thanks in advance.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When are we going to get 4.1.2 or higher? I assume we will never get 4.2 as the gs4 will be shipping with it.
    Are you on a full stock rom now, including stock recovery?

you can update via samsung kies if you are running stock. no need to unroot. samsung kies will do it for you