NVIDIA Shield Tablet - Battery Results

Search This thread

Kaizoku-Otaku

Oct 4, 2012
I dont have the tablet yet, it wont come to EU before 14th.
I added this thread, to see how well the battery performs on the tablet itself like screen time and stuff, and what you use the tablet to dran the battery.
Please, show me the result of the battery from this AMAZING Tablet!
Thank YOU! :D

falconw13

Sep 17, 2009
Richmond VA
I added this thread, to see how well the battery performs on the tablet itself like screen time and stuff, and what you use the tablet to dran the battery.

Battery life is pretty good for this size of device. You can set the power options to max power, optimized, battery savings, and my power mode. I have the tablet most of the time in my power mode with cpu on 50% and only 2 cores. You can still play games with it on this setting and the battery will just push this power house like its nothing. The stock charger that comes with it too is very fast at recharging the device (while not in heavy use)

Light use (couple youtube videos, little online poker, and news apps) yesterday got me 1day 2 hours and still at 80%. Note that is you are heavily gaming with gamestream or grid the battery will last about 5-6 hours on a full charge

Looking forward to what others are getting out of their battery

Reactions: Kaizoku-Otaku

pencil316

Aug 15, 2013
I get over 5 hours of heavy us out of it. Only issue is takes over 9 hours to full charge so far. I am trying to power cycle a few time now no change.

Tapatalk

Aredubu

Sep 14, 2013
Florida
myza9ygy.jpg

Played Dead Trigger 2, Maximum performance, ultra game settings, 75% screen brightness for an hour and 13 minutes, volume maxed out.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sciphonic

Dec 14, 2010
My results so far have been very promising. Running Trine 2 will get you about 3 hours of battery life. Running a demanding Android game like Asphalt 8 will get you 3+. Streaming games from your PC (which is what I bought it for) doesn't seem to use much juice at all and lasted me over 5 hours a session (played the Evolve Alpha, Skyrim, and Hearthstone). All those results are usung a Dualshock controller. Using the tablet to surf reddit and check email only got me down to 30% after a solid 2 days.

It's a good battery and the CPU is just as efficient as the newest Snapdragons. It's the GPU that can really drink the power and that's to be expected. It's a desktop class GPU. I've been impressed by the heat so far as well. I never felt any more than warmth. It's generally just room temperature. It seems they really do have the cooling optimized.

solidsn

Jan 13, 2014
Shield tablet OTG Y charger and ethernet

:confused:I have not gotten any real answer on this subject but, the shield tablet will not charge when it is plugged into an OTG Y charger and the plug-able usb ethernet adapter at the same time. It will do them separately. I think it needs a software update just like the original shield portable required.
I am using the exact same adapters that work with my shield portable. I followed the website directions to plug all usb devices into the Y charger first and then plug it into the shield tablet. It will only charge. If I unplug the charger then the ethernet works but not both.
I can also report that the Xbox 360 wired controller for PC works GREAT with the shield tablet. No need to buy or install anything else just plug and plays great!

synplex

May 29, 2008
Miami
www.MTFX.tv
It took my tablet less then 6 hours to fully charged from 0-100% using the OEM charger.
BTW what's "MediaServer" it's taking up about 35% of my battery usage. :confused:

ISilva_PT

Jan 5, 2011
Porto
Yup 9 hours it's been like this since I got it. I will be exchanging it.

Tapatalk

The problem most likely is the charger, some have reported the same on the nvidia fórum and an alternative charger solved the issue, if you can try another charger and it solves your issue just ask for a new one from nvidia directy. Will Save you the bother of setting UP a new tablet and possible new issues with the new one.

Last edited:

chaosking121

This thing held up for six hours straight of reading Manga (downloaded in advance). It's actually been about another hour since then of browsing and stuff and it's still at 28 percent. Man, I had my concerns at first but this has me decently surprised as to battery life.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-22_01-10-07.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-22_01-10-07.png
    80.9 KB · Views: 342

MRobbo80

Apr 9, 2013
South Petherton
Battery life is great! I'm not much of a gamer, I got this tablet because of the specs (Powerful) and am really happy, my only grumble is there's a little yellow in the whites not sure if a ota is going to fix this issue but if I have to live with it then I really don't mind, I had the nexus 7 flo, The touch screen was horrible at first but it was fixed first by a dev then a little while after that google fixed it with updates. I would highly recommend this tablet even if you are not much of a gamer! Its a great all round tablet with nvidia behind it makes me happy already have had a ota out of the box fixing a few issues and soon will be upgraded to android L a few weeks after android release it.

Kaizoku-Otaku

Oct 4, 2012
The problem most likely is the charger, some have reported the same on the nvidia fórum and an alternative charger solved the issue, if you can try another charger and it solves your issue just ask for a new one from nvidia directy. Will Save you the bother of setting UP a new tablet and possible new issues with the new one.

I really appreciate you took the time to give the time of reading manga and how long it can last, you se i am otaku, so thanks.
:good:
PS: Manga is not using so much power so if you could change to maybe powersaver you could maybe get alot more battery- juice out of it. :D

Kaizoku-Otaku

Oct 4, 2012
Battery life is great! I'm not much of a gamer, I got this tablet because of the specs (Powerful) and am really happy, my only grumble is there's a little yellow in the whites not sure if a ota is going to fix this issue but if I have to live with it then I really don't mind, I had the nexus 7 flo, The touch screen was horrible at first but it was fixed first by a dev then a little while after that google fixed it with updates. I would highly recommend this tablet even if you are not much of a gamer! Its a great all round tablet with nvidia behind it makes me happy already have had a ota out of the box fixing a few issues and soon will be upgraded to android L a few weeks after android release it.

Yu just made my my day, if its getting "Android (FREAKING) L" i surley need to get this bad boy, btw thanks for the heads up. :D

MiRaCL

Feb 5, 2010
Oslo
The battery is ok so far. Some games are more demanding than others. Hungry Shark Evolution drains the battery in less than 2 hours with the screen at 70% here.

For everyday use i'm very pleased.

MRobbo80: Try to change the screen setting from sRGB to native. Helped with the yellowing whites here.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
Hungry Shark Evolution?

That game drained it in two hours? That game should not have got the cpu and K1 even thinking of working hard. That seems Charles Barkley level 'turrible'.

That does not extrapolate well for gaming in general. I was more focused on the wifi and did not bother with games after seeing the wifi truly was very weak compared to my Air and Note 2014.

Added. Also way weaker than my Shield portable.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Battery life is pretty good for this size of device. You can set the power options to max power, optimized, battery savings, and my power mode. I have the tablet most of the time in my power mode with cpu on 50% and only 2 cores. You can still play games with it on this setting and the battery will just push this power house like its nothing. The stock charger that comes with it too is very fast at recharging the device (while not in heavy use)

Light use (couple youtube videos, little online poker, and news apps) yesterday got me 1day 2 hours and still at 80%. Note that is you are heavily gaming with gamestream or grid the battery will last about 5-6 hours on a full charge

Looking forward to what others are getting out of their battery
    myza9ygy.jpg

Played Dead Trigger 2, Maximum performance, ultra game settings, 75% screen brightness for an hour and 13 minutes, volume maxed out.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk
    My results so far have been very promising. Running Trine 2 will get you about 3 hours of battery life. Running a demanding Android game like Asphalt 8 will get you 3+. Streaming games from your PC (which is what I bought it for) doesn't seem to use much juice at all and lasted me over 5 hours a session (played the Evolve Alpha, Skyrim, and Hearthstone). All those results are usung a Dualshock controller. Using the tablet to surf reddit and check email only got me down to 30% after a solid 2 days.

It's a good battery and the CPU is just as efficient as the newest Snapdragons. It's the GPU that can really drink the power and that's to be expected. It's a desktop class GPU. I've been impressed by the heat so far as well. I never felt any more than warmth. It's generally just room temperature. It seems they really do have the cooling optimized.
    This thing held up for six hours straight of reading Manga (downloaded in advance). It's actually been about another hour since then of browsing and stuff and it's still at 28 percent. Man, I had my concerns at first but this has me decently surprised as to battery life.