A Little Explanation and Clarification for CM9

Search This thread

Travisdroidx2

Sep 9, 2011
Bay Area California
HEY!!! I see what you're trying to do! Quit trying to kang our dev for the Dinc2 community!!! :p

Language warning! Don't open in front of boss or kids!

http://i.imgur.com/dWZMF.jpg

Lol trying to give the kind man something he deserves a open device that works :) also the device will get official ics for sure. I think he deserves that ! I am on gnex now so no gain to me and the dinc2 has some awesome devs putting out great work.
I have read his post before about how he is in class trying to figure out how to make the crappy x2 work. I feel he deserves something that works really well and let him focus on other things like school and family.
Love the pic also :)

Last edited:

Ihatepullups

Dzk I love you man, you're the best Dev I know, the fact that you take the time to explain not just what's going on, but the various problems in detail is great. Communication from devs is what makes them human, rather than being gods on a pedestal. Thanks. Btw what college do you go to, because if you go to U of I I wanna buy you a beer.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using xda premium

Mikeyfitz14

Jan 3, 2011
NH-603
Thanks for all the hard work, I've been using CM9 as my daily driver since you released alpha 4. Any of the small glitches are easy to overlook because ICS is sooo sweet. Between this and CM7 you have made my DX2 experience actually enjoyable (not knocking any other devs though). Keep up the good work and don't kill yourself just for us.

Viva La DROID!

Drunkula

Jan 22, 2012
Denton, TX
Though I no longer have my DX2 I will say thank you very much for your contributions. CM7 made life on that device enjoyable.
:good:

754boy

Sep 28, 2008
Shaw, MS
Well thanks DZK for all that you have done for this community. Seeing as how busy you are with real life, its a miracle that you even have time for us. :victory:

Kev13131

May 28, 2012
Thanks

I gotta say man as a relative newbie to the whole flashing concept, you work has been very much appreciated in making my phone useful again. I've run eclipse 2.2.1 and CM7, and I prefer CM7 simply because of its speed. I don't understand why everyone has so many problems flashing ROMS, you spell it out for us and all we need to do is follow directions lol. And as a Mech Eng student myself, I know exactly what kind of course load you have and I'm amazed you have the time for this kind of serious coding. I have a friend going for his master's in Aero, and he worked on programming and debugging the onboard computer for some kind of Harrier Jet; really cool ****. Should you decide to go that route your android coding skills may be very useful, and I guarantee you'll be making bank haha. Keep it up bro and thanks again.

morphius2036

Sep 4, 2009
G-Vegas
Google Pixel 4 XL
I just have one request.....can you make it make coffee? Just saying that would be the most awesome ICS build in the world.

So how soon and none of that Decaf **** either.

Good luck in school and this is the shiznit even with the FC's and reboots

Sent from my DX2 P.O.S using xda premium

iBolski

DZK, even though I no longer have an X2 that is on the VZW network, I still pop in to see what updates you have. As I have felt, the X2 hardware has definitely limited what we as a user community can get and what you as part of the dev community can do. In any case, it would be interesting to know if the limitations you are running into could be solved with an unlocked bootloader or if it truly is a hardware/architecture issue of the phone itself?

In any case, I commend you on your commitment to this phone. I myself have moved on to a RAZR (even though I vowed NEVER to purchase another Moto product, this was too good to pass up - free) and I've been pretty darned pleased with it, both on GB and ICS.

Keep up the great work! We all appreciate it, even those of us who no longer use our X2s.

JStiner

Jun 25, 2011
Springfield
Wait so people are complaining about a developer, who is working for tips, well let's just call it for free, on software to better our devices? Wait wait wait for free. He's working for free!?!?!?!

That being said, I love CM9, if people want to know really software limitation bet a blackberry. (8year BB user I have earned my right to slam it)

This developer gave me spell check back. I'll support him over any glitches.

Tomorrows Friday, payday, where's your tip jar?

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk 2

tallyforeman

Nov 18, 2011
The Bikini State!
Wait so people are complaining about a developer, who is working for tips, well let's just call it for free, on software to better our devices? Wait wait wait for free. He's working for free!?!?!?!

That being said, I love CM9, if people want to know really software limitation bet a blackberry. (8year BB user I have earned my right to slam it)

This developer gave me spell check back. I'll support him over any glitches.

Tomorrows Friday, payday, where's your tip jar?

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk 2

PM Sent

king..kranium

Jan 30, 2012
Mamou
Figured I would pay homage as well. Dzk you owe no one an explanation. Explain what? How you bust ass for us, give us goodies, or that your a hardworking guy who devotes what little time you have available to improving our phones? We don't really deserve an explanation. I just enjoy the goodies. I'm a cm7 user. It was my first rom, and so far the only rom I have tried. But really don't be so nice. This world will eat you up with a heart like that. Thanks dragonzkiller for your time, effort, roms and for being a nice guy. Now go make some money Smarty pants.

Sent from my MB870 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

MassrDagon

Apr 21, 2012
You do good work friend. It's ok I understand that university pressure. Your studies must come first!

Feel free to release another CM7 RC if you ever get bored though. :p

Good luck!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It has come to my attention that a few people have been misunderstanding a few recent posts by myself. This is post is to clear the waters up a bit and to explain my position as a developer here on XDA.

As many of you guys know, we're probably the most lively "dead" device on XDA. At least in my opinion that is. We have been through a lot as a community but we still manage to survive. But recently things have been getting a little tense.

I received this device last summer like most of you have. When I got it, I immediately started figuring out how to get CM7 on it. Problem is that it was my first Android phone and with all the ways that Motorola locked it down I had a lot to learn and no time to learn it. After I learned off and on how to get things working on the X2 during the NO free time I had last fall I cranked out a pretty much solid CM7 in a week.

Now for the explanation for CM9/ICS. Most people probably think that since I could crank out CM7 so fast that I would be able to do the same with CM9 and make it just as good and amazing as CM7. Although I had it booted on the first build, it was FULL of errors and the touch screen didn't even work. ICS and CM9 is definitely not as easy as CM7. CM7 was already a year and a half in the making and had most of the problems worked out on all the devices that when it finally came time for us, it would just as smooth as butter as soon as it was booted. CM9 hasn't had time to develop into a "smooth" ROM for most devices; especially non-official like ours. The code for the touchscreen to work wasn't even in CM9 on my first build, for example. The problems for CM9/ICS can be narrowed down to a few things:
    1. Graphics Memory
    2. No Official ICS
    3. Kernel Improvements

Graphics Memory and No Official ICS: Due to the way that ICS handles the way it puts stuff on our screen we run into Video RAM (VRAM) problems on our device. Basically the routines that control it are expecting the memory to be mapped (stored) in a certain way in VRAM. On a device that has ICS officially, this isn't as big as a problem as the proprietary files (props) are coded to respond to those requests and mappings and as such run smoother. If a device doesn't have ICS, most it usually has a similar device in which props can be pulled and ran accordingly.
    This is not the case for Tegra 2 phones as no Tegra 2 device has official ICS. In fact the Tegra kernel (just looked this up) is only at 2.6.34-rc3 officially and have a 3.1.10 kernel in developement (Motorola can update it again to .35 if they wish to do so like for the ATRIX). Because of the lack of an official Tegra 2 kernel for Linux 3.X, and likewise the props for such kernel, we can't have props that handle the requests the system is asking for. And even if another phone gets updated, we're locked and stuck, so It doesn't matter either way. This means that VRAM problems will probably always be there and that there is nothing that I can do for it. Best thing I can hope for (and this is slowly making it's way through CM9) is that the code in CM9 is updated to allow us to handle the VRAM differently like in CM7/GB.

Kernel Improvements: The kernel (that's supposed to be) for ICS is 3.0 or higher. This includes changes in memory as stated above, touchscreen handling, device interaction with the kernel and many others. That being said, we don't have those improvements thus causing problems. These include memory as stated above, touchscreen not working (obviously fixed), data usage not working, data monitoring not working, and a few various ways other routines to draw to the screen and handle other things (such as why Chrome is picky). Some of these can be backported (downgraded) to our kernel with mixed results.
    Problem is they have to be complied with our kernel and must match the kernel version in every way. That is why the kernel check is in CM7 and CM9. I can slowly work through implementing these routines through drivers known as kernel modules (mods). I have made mods for data usage (with a few issues) and another one (which not sure what it's supposed to do yet). I cannot (as in it's impossible) write them to change the memory handling. If I could even build them the kernel won't let me load them due to routines of same name fighting for control.
    Think of it like the phone is a car and you and your friend are in the front (the kernel routines) and you have the exact same name. Meanwhile, you have another friend in the back (the OS). The OS says, "Hey Routines Named the Same, grab the wheel and turn turn left!" You would turn it to your left, but your friend (the other routine) has a different view of what left is and instead wants to go to your right. Obviously some problems arise.

Regarding the Soft Keys Issue: I know a few of you guys are a little upset regrading the fact that I won't add the soft keys in there by default. I have a justifiable reason behind not adding them: our phone already has buttons.
    Our phone was designed to have hardware buttons that separate from the screen. Adding more buttons to the screen for buttons that already exist is not advantageous. It also unnecessarily takes up screen space that makes our phone our phone. Now you may be thinking, "Well the GNex has the soft keys on the screen..." You are correct. But the screen itself has actually been extended (as in a non-standard physical height) to accommodate for the soft keys and also has no hardware buttons for the menu and home, etc. In fact! The Nexus S (a still HIGHLY developed for, supported device and previous "Google Phone") doesn't even have the soft keys enabled from the software directly available from Google themselves.
    With that being said, XDA user csking33 has made the option of softkeys available to the public should you choose to enable it. He has it working on the current Alpha 4 and I look forward to him getting them working on Alpha 5 when I release it. You can download it here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1727680.

That is just a short (believe me when I say it's short) explanation as to why ICS is just a FUN FUN FUN thing to work with.

Personal Problems (I have a lot): This is not meant to be a whine-a-thon, more of an explanation of why I can't be as dedicated as I'd like to be. I have explained why ICS is a pain, I'm here to give you a brief rundown as to why I (personally) can't just make things work. I am a student studying Aerospace Engineering (not Computer Science or whatever else). It has kept me so insanely busy that I can't even begin to describe how much little time I have. I spend all day at school and all night doing the homework for it. I was lucky (once) when my Flight Structures II homework only took 5 hours to do. With so many long homework assignments and group projects it's a miracle I even survive. Next semester will be worse because now I have to actually design and build a model plane from scratch that does whatever my professors says it has to do. This is includes the whole design, approval process, building, testing, breaking, fixing, getting approved again, get it flown, doing it's mission and presenting our project. All that on top of the homework I have to do.
    Whenever I do get free time during the day, I try to spend it with my girlfriend and/or friends or (if it's a few days) I go to visit my family (this weekend I am, for example). Family and friends have always a top priority of mine since forever and I won't let a phone be the reason why I don't see them IF I see them. In fact the donation money you guys have supported me with is going to get new tires for my car before I go visit my family. It has also bought me spare batteries and cables for when I really mess things up.
    After all this is said and done, I stay up to 4 am working on the phone so that you guys can have a semi-legitimate Android experience. I do it because I want to and because we as a community deserve it.
    It saddens me to know that I'm (essentially) the only one left working on the X2. Others pop their head in every once and awhile to help or to do what they want and that is GREAT. I love it. I'm always more than willing to help others out if they ask. And all they have to do is ask. PM me here on XDA, join me in the IRC or tweet me on Twitter. I'll be sure to get to it eventually.

TL;DR:
    • CM9/ICS will be unstable for as long as I can see in the future. There is not much I can do.
    • No I won't enable soft keys, there is no point in a default build. See the post if you wish to enable them.
    • I'm a really, really busy man but I do what I can. You guys have helped tremendously in supporting my work and helping me live a little easier :p
    also just wanted to add that I'm surprised you felt the need to explain yourself, pretty stand up thing to do,

i would HOPE no one gives you guff for having a real life with , priorities, but then again this is x d a haha
    this is something you do for fun, we all should realize that, and it's awesome that you have gotten as far as you have
    keep plugging away bro (at real life)
    also just wanted to add that I'm surprised you felt the need to explain yourself, pretty stand up thing to do,

i would HOPE no one gives you guff for having a real life with , priorities, but then again this is x d a haha
    this is something you do for fun, we all should realize that, and it's awesome that you have gotten as far as you have
    keep plugging away bro (at real life)

I would think this is more for the newcomers here that don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Have you SEEN the kind of things people ask him on twitter? Lol
    You are doing a great job keeping the DX2 afloat. If you can get ICS in this phone you'll have a very bright future ahead of you. I wish you the best of luck but I don't think you need it :)

I don't know anything about developing, modding or themes and I won't imagine how hard it must be to do what you have done for the DX2. For that and more: Thank You! Im sure we'll be happy to throw a dollar or two your way.. it's the least we can do. :good:

M-
    I'm not a dev, but I am a project manager who works very closely with them, on very large scale deployments. Something that has always impressed me about you Bryan, is your prioritization and time management. Knowing where to focus energy in order to achieve maximum result, especially when strapped with limited resources, is a skill not as common as one might think--you've got it in spades.

I guarantee when you enter the work force, it's going to be something that sets you apart from a group of otherwise smart guys. Project managers and directors will LOVE you for that skill set.

That being said, thanks for giving us a portion of a sorely needed resource, it's appreciated.