[GUIDE] Systematic Guide BEFORE complaining on a Development Thread!

Search This thread

nicholaschum

Substratum Development Leader / Inactive RT
Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
Hello fellow XDA Users AND Guests! I'm back with another IMPORTANT tip people have to do but don't do whenever they download and flash a custom ROM.

A custom ROM gets corrupted very easily when using a resume function on your browser, or when there is a network interruption during the download. Many devs have to deal with unexplainable errors on the ROM that they may not even know how to solve, because most of these issues are BECAUSE OF THE USER. (Not to sound mean, but if it works on the dev's device, it is MOST LIKELY to work on yours as well).

Full version of the guide is more detailed, but the compressed one works fine too.

COMPRESSED INSTRUCTIONS

1. Did you check your device model against the device model listed on the thread?

You CAN install N9005 ROMs on other variants, for example the N900T, N900W8,
provided you get a patch specific to your device, however if they have their specific
thread, N9005 ROMs DO NOT ALL SUPPORT IT.

2. Did you check the MD5 Checksum of the file after you downloaded?

Open this spoiler for Mac Instructions!

1. Open Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal (or open Spotlight, and search for Terminal)
2. When Terminal is open, locate your directory where the file is downloaded, usually run this command: cd Downloads
3. When the path changes to the Downloads folder, type in "md5 XXXXXXXXXXXXX.zip" (name of the downloaded zip)
4. An MD5 code will come up, for example 614a3fac73272c9b53e74dc2ef5675f3, copy and paste this.
5. On the thread of the ROM, there should be located an MD5 code, press Command F, and paste it in the box. If the MD5 is found, then congratulations, MD5 checksum complete!

Open this spoiler for Windows Instructions!

1. Download WinMD5Free from this link: http://www.winmd5.com/ (NO INSTALL REQUIRED)
2. Unzip the application, then launch the .exe
3. Choose the file by clicking Browse, and double click the .zip file.
4. When the MD5 checksum value appears, copy and paste the MD5 from the custom ROM thread into the third box (Original file MD5 checksum value)
5. If they match, congratulations, MD5 checksum complete!

3. Did you try wiping both Cache and Dalvik Cache?

Click this if you are using TWRP Recovery

1. Boot into recovery by holding Power, Vol Up and Home at the same time.
2. Select the Wipe option.
3. Select the Advanced option.
4. Select Cache and Dalvik Cache, then swipe to wipe.
5. Reboot

Click this if you are using CWM Recovery

2. Select Wipe Cache
3. Click on the Volume Keys till you get to Yes, then press the power button
4. After done, select Advanced, then Select Wipe Dalvik Cache
5. Click on the Volume Keys till you get to Yes, then press the power button
6. Reboot

4. Is your configuration different from the given stock values?

Did you install any undesired system files unsupported by the developer? If you did. YOU LOST YOUR SUPPORT IMMEDIATELY, but you will have a bunch of people that may have done the same.

Modifying the stock values include:

1. Modification of System Files (Installing unsupported themes from other ROMs)

2. Tweaking of System Files manually (e.g. deleting gsiff_daemon)

3. Flashing a different CSC (Customer Sales Code)

4. Flashing a different Kernel (e.g. CivZ's SnapKat, Wootever's Custom N3, Stock Kernel with Init (Not included in all ROMs))

5. Did you install the ROM after formatting /system, /data, /sdcard, /cache, /dalvik-cache?

0. YOU WILL NEED AN EXTSD FOR THIS, TO REINSTALL THE ROM.
3. Select System, Internal SD, Cache and Dalvik Cache, then swipe to wipe.
5. Go back, select Format Data, type 'yes', then press Done.
6. Reinstall your ROM from your external SD.
7. Reboot

2. Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset
4. After done, select Advanced, then select Wipe Dalvik Cache
6. After done, select Mounts and Storage, select Format /system
7. Click on the Volume Keys till you get to Yes, then press the power button
8. After done, select Mounts and Storage, select Format /sdcard
9. Click on the Volume Keys till you get to Yes, then press the power button
10. After done, select Mounts and Storage, select Format /cache
11. Click on the Volume Keys till you get to Yes, then press the power button
12. Reboot

FULL INSTRUCTIONS

Step 1: You CAN install N9005 ROMs on other variants, for example the N900T, N900W8, provided you get a patch specific to your device, however if they have their specific thread, N9005 ROMs DO NOT ALL SUPPORT IT.

N9005: You CAN use the support from the dev, move on to the next step.

N900W8: You CAN install N9005 ROMs, provided you install the Wifi/NFC/Bluetooth Fix! Any ROM update will WIPE your /sdcard except small patches.

N900T: You CAN install N9005 ROMs, provided you install the Wifi/NFC/Bluetooth Fix! Any ROM update will WIPE your /sdcard except small patches.

N900A: You're on the wrong thread, you need the AT&T Thread.
Check ROMs here: http://xdaforums.com/note-3-att/development

N900V: You're on the wrong thread, you need the Verizon Thread.
Check ROMs here: http://xdaforums.com/verizon-galaxy-note-3/development

N900S: You're on the wrong thread, you need the Sprint Thread.
Check ROMs here: http://xdaforums.com/note-3-sprint/development

N900: DO NOT FLASH ANY SNAPDRAGON ROMS ON YOUR N900 DEVICE!!!!! YOU WILL MOST LIKELY BRICK
Check ROMs here: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-3/galaxy-note-3-exynos-android-development

Others: You DO NOT have support from the dev if you install anything N9005 on your device, you will have to go your respected device's thread if THERE IS a working method. Devs will not support this and if anything goes wrong, go to your forum and bug the thread to support unsupported ROMs (if there is one).

Step 2: Checking the MD5 Checksum for the downloaded file.

Mac

1. Open Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal (or open Spotlight, and search for Terminal)
2. When Terminal is open, locate your directory where the file is downloaded, usually run this command: cd Downloads
3. When the path changes to the Downloads folder, type in "md5 XXXXXXXXXXXXX.zip" (name of the downloaded zip)
4. An MD5 code will come up, for example 614a3fac73272c9b53e74dc2ef5675f3, copy and paste this.
5. On the thread of the ROM, there should be located an MD5 code, press Command F, and paste it in the box. If the MD5 is found, then congratulations, MD5 checksum complete!

Windows

1. Download WinMD5Free from this link: http://www.winmd5.com/ (NO INSTALL REQUIRED)
4. When the MD5 checksum value appears, copy and paste the MD5 from the custom ROM thread into the third box (Original file MD5 checksum value)

Step 3: Clearing the Cache and Dalvik Cache partitions.

By installing a custom ROM, most likely you would have a custom recovery (TWRP, CWM, etc)

TWRP

5. Reboot

CWM

2. Select Wipe Cache
6. Reboot

Step 4: Retracing your last steps

Did you install any undesired system files unsupported by the developer? If you did. YOU LOST YOUR SUPPORT IMMEDIATELY, but you will have a bunch of people that may have done the same.

4. Flashing a different Kernel (e.g. CivZ's SnapKat, Wootever's Custom N3, Stock Kernel with Init (Not included in all ROMs))

Step 5: Clearing the /system, /data, /sdcard, /cache and /dalvik-cache partitions. (LAST RESORT)

TWRP

7. Reboot

CWM

12. Reboot

Last edited:

DrawnToLife

Jun 2, 2013
Toronto
Oh, this is a really nice resource! Thanks. I hope other people see it before rushing over to dev threads without any idea of what's going on.

Reactions: BellaxMiu

ryesagain

Nov 16, 2013
Winnipeg
current date and safe Root methods?

Hello fellow XDA Users AND Guests! I'm back with another IMPORTANT tip people have to do but don't do whenever they download and flash a custom ROM.

A custom ROM gets corrupted very easily when using a resume function on your browser, or when there is a network interruption during the download. Many devs have to deal with unexplainable errors on the ROM that they may not even know how to solve, because most of these issues are BECAUSE OF THE USER. (Not to sound mean, but if it works on the dev's device, it is MOST LIKELY to work on yours as well).

Full version of the guide is more detailed, but the compressed one works fine too.

COMPRESSED INSTRUCTIONS

1. Did you check your device model against the device model listed on the thread?

5. Did you install the ROM after formatting /system, /data, /sdcard, /cache, /dalvik-cache?

FULL INSTRUCTIONS

Step 1: You CAN install N9005 ROMs on other variants, for example the N900T, N900W8, provided you get a patch specific to your device, however if they have their specific thread, N9005 ROMs DO NOT ALL SUPPORT IT.

By installing a custom ROM, most likely you would have a custom recovery (TWRP, CWM, etc)

Step 5: Clearing the /system, /data, /sdcard, /cache and /dalvik-cache partitions. (LAST RESORT)

CUSTOM-MADE INSTRUCTIONS FOR X-NOTE ROMS

Hello, you seem like a mature and helpful person to ask this, I have a 4.4.2 sm-n900w8 (3.4 kernal?) with MDF security software version. I do not know how to use these forums very well so I apoligize if I am asking a redundent question. I have tried rooting a device (SGS3) before; for things like sixaxis, and I now see I'll need it for transfering files to and from the ExtSD (with 4.4.2 on the SGN3). my main question is are there any STILL confirmed ways of rooting the sm-n900w8 as of todays date?? I have done this before with a (SGS3), the videos were fairly strait forward, and this was before I knew about KNOX; in doing so I ended up with a soft bricked device, though I THINK I managed to fix it. If I manage to root it will it void my warranty?

I am concerened about
1) being able to safely root my device without tripping knox or using a method with an older version of software/security.
2) I am NOT getting into Flashing ROMs yet, I just want to transfer files between the two MicroSD cards or use TouchWIZ with apps like SIXAXIS (if that makes sense? )

Thanks for your time and effort into building this community.

DrawnToLife

Jun 2, 2013
Toronto
Hello, you seem like a mature and helpful person to ask this, I have a 4.4.2 sm-n900w8 (3.4 kernal?) with MDF security software version. I do not know how to use these forums very well so I apoligize if I am asking a redundent question. I have tried rooting a device (SGS3) before; for things like sixaxis, and I now see I'll need it for transfering files to and from the ExtSD (with 4.4.2 on the SGN3). my main question is are there any STILL confirmed ways of rooting the sm-n900w8 as of todays date?? I have done this before with a (SGS3), the videos were fairly strait forward, and this was before I knew about KNOX; in doing so I ended up with a soft bricked device, though I THINK I managed to fix it. If I manage to root it will it void my warranty?

I am concerened about
1) being able to safely root my device without tripping knox or using a method with an older version of software/security.
2) I am NOT getting into Flashing ROMs yet, I just want to transfer files between the two MicroSD cards or use TouchWIZ with apps like SIXAXIS (if that makes sense? )

Are you Knox 0x0 right now?

Reactions: BellaxMiu

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com

I am concerened about

What's your build number for your phone?

List out everything you see when you type *#1234# in your phone dialer.

ryesagain

Nov 16, 2013
Winnipeg
I am also 0x0 for Knox, at least I believe so. I have not done anything to it yet.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using XDA Free mobile app

Attachments

• 1398840503674.jpg
    1398840503674.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 155

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
I am also 0x0 for Knox, at least I believe so. I have not done anything to it yet.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using XDA Free mobile app

You should be on the latest bootloader right now.

Try any CF-Root and check the Canadian thread, you're on the right track :)

You won't trip KNOX on this firmware.

gardobus

Oct 26, 2009
Do you have a link to the N9005 -> N900T patch? I want to flash X Note on my TMo GN3.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

COMPRESSED INSTRUCTIONS

You CAN install N9005 ROMs on other variants, for example the N900T, N900W8,
    provided you get a patch specific to your device, however if they have their specific
    thread, N9005 ROMs DO NOT ALL SUPPORT IT.

Open this spoiler for Mac Instructions!

Open this spoiler for Windows Instructions!

5. Reboot

2. Select Wipe Cache
    6. Reboot

7. Reboot

12. Reboot

FULL INSTRUCTIONS

N9005: You CAN use the support from the dev, move on to the next step.

N900W8: You CAN install N9005 ROMs, provided you install the Wifi/NFC/Bluetooth Fix! Any ROM update will WIPE your /sdcard except small patches.

N900T: You CAN install N9005 ROMs, provided you install the Wifi/NFC/Bluetooth Fix! Any ROM update will WIPE your /sdcard except small patches.

N900A: You're on the wrong thread, you need the AT&T Thread.
    Check ROMs here: http://xdaforums.com/note-3-att/development

N900V: You're on the wrong thread, you need the Verizon Thread.
    Check ROMs here: http://xdaforums.com/verizon-galaxy-note-3/development

N900S: You're on the wrong thread, you need the Sprint Thread.
    Check ROMs here: http://xdaforums.com/note-3-sprint/development

N900: DO NOT FLASH ANY SNAPDRAGON ROMS ON YOUR N900 DEVICE!!!!! YOU WILL MOST LIKELY BRICK
    Check ROMs here: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-3/galaxy-note-3-exynos-android-development

Others: You DO NOT have support from the dev if you install anything N9005 on your device, you will have to go your respected device's thread if THERE IS a working method. Devs will not support this and if anything goes wrong, go to your forum and bug the thread to support unsupported ROMs (if there is one).

Mac

Windows

TWRP

5. Reboot

CWM

2. Select Wipe Cache
    6. Reboot

TWRP

7. Reboot

CWM

12. Reboot
    Seems weird for me to bump this up myself, but I still see many people suffering from their own abuse. Would love for it to be stickied, let's hope :)
    Do you have a link to the N9005 -> N900T patch? I want to flash X Note on my TMo GN3.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2703229
    If anyone has anything to add to this, PM me. I think this is fine for now when linking it to people when they ask a question.
    Misclicked the Reply Button