[APP] MySquare : A foursquare client

Search This thread

m0dcm

Jun 23, 2009
It would be nice to have Photo Upload on MySquare, but how difficult it would be to code it to access the camera is unknown to me, I wonder if the developer has thought about this?
I'm just loving the app, and being a premium user now too I'm doing my bit to help towards future developments....

JVH3

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 24, 2008
Minneapolis
www.twitter.com
It would be nice to have Photo Upload on MySquare, but how difficult it would be to code it to access the camera is unknown to me, I wonder if the developer has thought about this?
I'm just loving the app, and being a premium user now too I'm doing my bit to help towards future developments....

It would not need to access the camera.

It would only need to be able to upload a picture that was already taken. Windows Mobile is multi threaded, so you can always launch the camera. I launch mine with a long press of the PTT button, but it can also be launched off the start menu. Take the picture. close the camera. You would be right back in the four square app.

Most pictures would need to be compressed first though.

maardiweb

Oct 8, 2009
The new v2 didn't work on my Omnia II either. I couldn't re-auth because my browser (either IE or Opera) couldn't find the adress.
I used my PC to authenticate and copied the token to mysquare: Succes :)

niko_nmv

Aug 13, 2011
Santiago
I'm here, reporting a bug...

On Sony Ericsson Aspen M1a, with WinMo 6.5.3 and .net 3.5 preinstalled, the app run fine, the ads is working y thats things. BUT when i try to do "check-in", and i start to write in the frame, the app crash and show this message: "unknown error: exception ...".
Really this problem happens when i try to start to write on a frame... i'm just clic it and the app is dead.

Please, fix it for the last generation of users of windows mobile.

staurakis

Oct 12, 2007
Athens
I'm here, reporting a bug...

On Sony Ericsson Aspen M1a, with WinMo 6.5.3 and .net 3.5 preinstalled, the app run fine, the ads is working y thats things. BUT when i try to do "check-in", and i start to write in the frame, the app crash and show this message: "unknown error: exception ...".
Really this problem happens when i try to start to write on a frame... i'm just clic it and the app is dead.

Please, fix it for the last generation of users of windows mobile.

Hello, have you tried to reboot and also restart the application?
Is it something that it happens all the time?
I am asking because it also produced me an exception at some point, but after a reboot or a restart it didn't produce it anymore.
Furthermore, if it always happens (it is a consistent error) it will be more easier to reproduce and thus for the developer to solve it :)

tskok

Dec 9, 2010
The new v2 didn't work on my Omnia II either. I couldn't re-auth because my browser (either IE or Opera) couldn't find the adress.
I used my PC to authenticate and copied the token to mysquare: Succes :)

hello, can i know how u do it? i also stuck on this re-auth problem, i also use omina II. thanks first...

tskok

Dec 9, 2010
You have to copy the exact URL of the redirection to a PC or another browser on your PDA (sometimes this would also work).
In my case, the copy of the URL to the PC browser worked :)

in my case, while i tap on the "authenticate", it just immediate close the mysquare and return to main menu. how can i get the url? any idea?

staurakis

Oct 12, 2007
Athens
in my case, while i tap on the "authenticate", it just immediate close the mysquare and return to main menu. how can i get the url? any idea?

Ummmm....doesn't it open the default system browser to redirect you to a link location? I think (and as far as I remember) that is what it should do....that is the point where some people had some issue (in displaying the specific URL and get the correct reply from the browser)....
If that is the case, then this is another issue that you might have in your system....
You have to be sure there is a default browser associated with the specific filename the system tries to open (for example www.example.com/authenticate.html). If your system doesn't know how to open the specific file type it won't open the browser and thus won't redirect you to the URL.

staurakis

Oct 12, 2007
Athens
It's supposed to open IE. Do you have IE installed?
I know that some ROMs dont have IE. It will not work without IE.

I used to experience the same problem, several years ago with another device I had, when for an unknown reason, my device lost the association of all .html and .htm files. The problem is....I don't remember how I fixed it.....if I restore the system.....hard reset it or somehow I made again manually the association..... :confused:

junalmeida

Inactive Recognized Developer
Ummmm....doesn't it open the default system browser to redirect you to a link location? I think (and as far as I remember) that is what it should do....that is the point where some people had some issue (in displaying the specific URL and get the correct reply from the browser)....
If that is the case, then this is another issue that you might have in your system....
You have to be sure there is a default browser associated with the specific filename the system tries to open (for example www.example.com/authenticate.html). If your system doesn't know how to open the specific file type it won't open the browser and thus won't redirect you to the URL.

During the tests, Opera Browser was not able to send the auth token back to mysquare. So, mysquare will always open IE rather than system's default browser. This is by design.

osiedacz

Sep 17, 2008
Wisconsin
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Flagging and Creating

Hey All, just wondering if it is me or if anyone else has an issue trying to either Flag a Location or trying to create a new location?

If I try to flag a location as either closed, duplicated or mislocated I get a message that says, "Unable to flag this place."

And if I try to create a new location, I get a message that says, "*** was not created." The *** would be whatever name I had chosen for the new place.

yoallen78

Feb 14, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Performance Issues

I'm not sure if I'm the only one experiencing issues with MySquare (v2.0.1) but here are the issues that I experience:

Locating Places
Upon first lauching the client - the Places tab seems to locate an area that is no where near where I am. Even with the GPS having a full signal - it doesn't seem to get an accurate (or even approximate location for that matter). Is there a registry change that needs to be made to allow for better location finding performance?

Connecting to FourSquare
If I launch the client and it finds 'nearby Places' - and then I lose a data connection (or go into an area that has poor cell phone signal reception) - upon regaining the data connection - the client is not able to connect to foursquare again (no matter how many times I hit refresh)

GPS Performance
Maybe the freeware version has issues with obtaining a GPS fix - but it seems to take a while for a GPS fix and it seems to lose it fairly easily if I'm not stationary.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the software and have made sure that I authenticated myself accordingly. But these issues were there in version 2.0.0 as well. I'm using it on an HD2 (T-Mobile version) and the GPS seems to work fairly well for other apps that utilize it (weather on HTC Sense, google maps, Bing).

Since WinMoSquare no longer works - this is the only application that I'm aware of that is able to connect to foursquare for windows mobile 6.x devices. i would like to be able to continue to check-in via foursquare and this app seems to be okay - but I may not use it if I continue to have these issues.

Does anyone else have these same problems or is it just me?

JVH3

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 24, 2008
Minneapolis
www.twitter.com
I'm not sure if I'm the only one experiencing issues with MySquare (v2.0.1) but here are the issues that I experience:

Locating Places
Upon first lauching the client - the Places tab seems to locate an area that is no where near where I am. Even with the GPS having a full signal - it doesn't seem to get an accurate (or even approximate location for that matter). Is there a registry change that needs to be made to allow for better location finding performance?

Connecting to FourSquare
If I launch the client and it finds 'nearby Places' - and then I lose a data connection (or go into an area that has poor cell phone signal reception) - upon regaining the data connection - the client is not able to connect to foursquare again (no matter how many times I hit refresh)

GPS Performance
Maybe the freeware version has issues with obtaining a GPS fix - but it seems to take a while for a GPS fix and it seems to lose it fairly easily if I'm not stationary.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the software and have made sure that I authenticated myself accordingly. But these issues were there in version 2.0.0 as well. I'm using it on an HD2 (T-Mobile version) and the GPS seems to work fairly well for other apps that utilize it (weather on HTC Sense, google maps, Bing).

Since WinMoSquare no longer works - this is the only application that I'm aware of that is able to connect to foursquare for windows mobile 6.x devices. i would like to be able to continue to check-in via foursquare and this app seems to be okay - but I may not use it if I continue to have these issues.

Does anyone else have these same problems or is it just me?

You mentioned that your GPS works fairly well with other applications?

Generally, with Google Maps or GPS Viewer, I get locks in about 5 seconds. Sometimes a little longer, but typically around 5 seconds. If you are typically waiting more than 15 to 20 seconds for a lock, then it probably can be improved.

Fone Fanatic found some great registry values to make aGPS work much better and made a cab for it.

FF Ultimate aGPS Tweak_supl.nokia_generic.cab

located at this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=4267775&postcount=1

Certain phones have very poor GPS performance out of the box, such as the Touch Pro. Even the Touch Pro 2 isn't that good out of the box. But those setting dramatically improve them.

MySquare has been working great for me for over a week now. I am very impressed and will soon be upgrading to the paid version.

You might also try running GPS Viewer and let it locate you before launching MySquare. Once the GPS locates you through any app, the location is quickly available to any other app.

osiedacz

Sep 17, 2008
Wisconsin
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Hey All, just wondering if it is me or if anyone else has an issue trying to either Flag a Location or trying to create a new location?

If I try to flag a location as either closed, duplicated or mislocated I get a message that says, "Unable to flag this place."

And if I try to create a new location, I get a message that says, "*** was not created." The *** would be whatever name I had chosen for the new place.

Funny to quote my own post! As of today, I am no longer having a problem creating locations. I have created 3 today in very different places and it works fine.

But, I still cannot flag a place. Still says it is unable.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Its MySquare: a foursquare client for your windows phone 6x.

(2011-01-20) Now you can also buy the premium services using paypal.

Download and buy it at http://www.risingmobility.com/mysquare/

Fell free to write comments, sugestions, bug reports, etc.

Note to CDMA users
    Location may be imprecise when gps is not fix.

Notes
    This app may use your data plan if not using wifi.
    The phone radio must be ON in order to locate you.
    Users switching from v1 to v2: You need to reauthenticate!

Changelog:
    Code:
    [b]2.0.6 (2012-07-14):[/b]
    * BugFixes related to category images

[b]2.0.5 (2012-06-24):[/b]
    * BugFixes related to specials on search and checkin (again)

[b]2.0.4 (2012-02-07):[/b]
    * BugFixes related to specials on search and checkin

[b]2.0.3 (2011-10-11):[/b]
    * BugFixes

[b]2.0.2 (2011-09-11):[/b]
    * Missing "special" types

[b]2.0.1 (2011-08-07):[/b]
    * Send to fcb, twt
    * Missing "special" types
    * General Fixes

[b]2.0 (2011-08-01):[/b]
    * API v2 Support

[b]1.4.1 (2011-01-29):[/b]
    * premium bug-fix
    * update on startup
    * double tap configuration
    * friends list bug-fix

[b]1.4 (2010-12-26):[/b] 
    * premium services small changes
    * removing 'beta'

[b]1.3.beta3 (2010-10-03):[/b] 
    * add a user as friend
    * improved badges list
    * show mayorship status on checkin result
    * show scores on check in result.
    * fix: search hitting enter key.
    * gps improvements, signal strength indicator
    * satellite, terrain, hybrid modes for maps
    * ping notifications (note: pings does not use gps, cell id, etc.)
    * view full-sized user avatar
    * turn off gps to save battery after 5 minutes on background
    * fix: avoid cached files to be scanned by picture apps
    * the leaderboard
    * show foursquare error messages
    * shout without venue
    * improved app icon
    * tips nearby
    * fix: check in with gps
    * fix: any post with "&"
    * fix: interface sometimes gets stuck when no internet
    * fix: post with special chars, accents and umlauts
    * fix: keyboard deploy
    * link to 4sq web profile for a user

[b]1.2.beta2 (2010-08-09):[/b]
    * general fixes, crashes, etc.
    * cdma support, geoip added as a fallback
    * gps fixes on places and friend list.
    * fix on create new venue (tap to fill address)
    * fix on premium account. validation
    * gps icon

[b]1.0.3865.26913.beta (2010-08-01):[/b]
    * fix: clear shout message
    * fix: version display on about
    * premium services
    * adservice improved
    * check for updates
    * show specials on place list
    * adjusting nearby,favorites,etc place list

[b]0.2 alpha2:[/b]
    * fix: maps 
    * fix: memory, image drawings
    * other general fixes
    * accept and refuse friend requests

[b]0.1 alpha1:[/b]
    * Initial release
    * friends, places, settings and about tab
    * maps, adservice
    Hi,

I can see many people having problems to connect to foursquare. This is strange since me and others are still using it normally, but this does not makes me sure that there is no bug at all.

So, I need two of you that STILL have problems to send me a email to investigate further.

Thank you.
    Hi everybody around the world...

First of all I need to say that I'm very happy to see your feedbacks. Many people here on xda, twitter, etc. saying how its good, fast, etc. and asking for premium services.

I really appreciate those who helps others on forums, 'cause as a single developer its difficult to answer everyone.

I'm trying to waste a bit of my time to develop some general improvements and to release premium services. But I have no date yet for you.

Thank you!
    Have a wonderful holiday season.
    Does MySquare use the OpenCellID database for finding the GSM location?
    If yes, there's a useful tool to fill the database with new cells to make the found location more precise: http://opencellclient.sourceforge.net

(If not, the tool is still useful ^^)
    Please update.

Let me know if this works for you :)