[Q] 2.3.6 OTA can lock my atrix 2 to AT&T? (My carrier is Orange ISRAEL).

Search This thread

Bensal1992

Jan 13, 2012
Hello anyone,
I bought Motorola Atrix 2 (v2.3.5) from eBay and he was lock to AT&T.
After I got the mobile phone the seller gave me a code to unlock my phone to any GSM carrier.
I saw that there is new update to my phone (2.3.6), If I will update my software my phone can be unlock to AT&T? Or there is no connection between this two things?

Bensal1992

Jan 13, 2012
Yes you can still root for phone with 2.3.6. There are detailed instructions in the beginners thread. Just make sure you follow the instructions for 2.3.6 and not. 2.3.5 and you will be fine

My atrix cannot the update via wi-fi check.
I saw on motorola website there is option to install this update via SD Card.
This is safe?

Bensal1992

Jan 13, 2012
I transfer the update file "sdcard-Blur_Version.55.13.26.MB865.ATT.en.US.zip" to the micrdSD card and guided by this tutorial h X X p://w w w .motorola.com/Support/US-EN/Android_Products/ATRIX-2_Software_Update_workround
I go to System updates but no message was popup (according to the tutorial there is popup message named "Copy".

I read the FAQ
If unable to recognize the upgrade package

It is possible that the SD card package was renamed.
The downloaded file must be saved exactly as it appears (do not rename the file)
Ensure it does not have two extensions .zip.zip
Misnamed due to multiple downloads- i.e, update(1).zip
The downloaded file might not be located in root folder
It must be at the top level of the Micro SD card, it cannot be in a sub-folder.
The file may have been only partially downloaded
Full file size should be ~ 45 MB
Please ensure you delete a partially download file and follow the appropriate steps to start the process again.
There is another software package already placed at the top level of the Micro SD card.
Please ensure all software packages were deleted before uploading the upgrade package into your Micro SD card
Phone was not properly disconnected after uploading the upgrade package into your Micro SD card.
Unmount your Micro SD Card from your computer
For Windows, select the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the System Tray, then select Safely remove USB Mass Storage Device, you will see a notification stating Safe To Remove Hardware
For MACs, select the Eject button in the Finder next to the SD Card Device
Turn off USB Drive from device
Pull down the Notification bar at the top of the screen and then Touch the “USB connection” notification USB connection
In the "USB connection" dialogue tap "Charge Only" and then tap OK button.

pleaz help!

yigal66

Feb 16, 2009
I was in the same situation. It looks like you can't update from 2.3.5 to 2.3.6 from SD card. Fortunately for me OTA did work and I am with stock rooted 2.3.6 now.
So I suggest you to try OTA again.

Reactions: Bensal1992

SeekerLoki

Jan 12, 2012
Try this: Boot into recovery, From recovery menu, select apply update from sdcard, select update file and let it run.

Feb 24, 2012
Gwalior
Manual updation only works by Rebooting Device

If you want to update to 2.3.6 through SD card than you must have to apply the update through rebooting and using three button method to go to recovery mode.

One more thing, update through SD card works only when OTA update gives you a message that "Update Failed"
The manual method is made only for those who are facing "Update Failed" message after updating through OTA method.

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Yes you can still root for phone with 2.3.6. There are detailed instructions in the beginners thread. Just make sure you follow the instructions for 2.3.6 and not. 2.3.5 and you will be fine

You can use that thread also, but I found that whole method a little bit clumsy.
So i searched the net and other threads and I found another simple method to do it.

Search over the net for A2ROOT.zip
You can root your phone through this and this works for 2.3.5 as well as 2.3.6
So i prefer that you first manually update through SD card and then download A2ROOT.zip and extract it on your PC's hard drive and run the 'click-to-root' and you are ready to go..... :)

But before unrooting make sure to Enable USB debugging and Allow installation of non-android market applications.

Bensal1992

Jan 13, 2012
Try this: Boot into recovery, From recovery menu, select apply update from sdcard, select update file and let it run.

How Im getting into recovey mode?

If you want to update to 2.3.6 through SD card than you must have to apply the update through rebooting and using three button method to go to recovery mode.

One more thing, update through SD card works only when OTA update gives you a message that "Update Failed"
The manual method is made only for those who are facing "Update Failed" message after updating through OTA method.

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

You can use that thread also, but I found that whole method a little bit clumsy.
So i searched the net and other threads and I found another simple method to do it.

Search over the net for A2ROOT.zip
You can root your phone through this and this works for 2.3.5 as well as 2.3.6
So i prefer that you first manually update through SD card and then download A2ROOT.zip and extract it on your PC's hard drive and run the 'click-to-root' and you are ready to go..... :)

But before unrooting make sure to Enable USB debugging and Allow installation of non-android market applications.

Suddenly yesterday he found the update when I turn on the Wi-Fi in my house but unfortunately he stucked at 35%. There is an alert at the left top of the screen. when I open the notification center he write: "Download will resume in Wi-Fi coverage."
I turn on the Wi-Fi but he don't continue the downloading.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2012
Gwalior
How Im getting into recovey mode?

Suddenly yesterday he found the update when I turn on the Wi-Fi in my house but unfortunately he stucked at 35%. There is an alert at the left top of the screen. when I open the notification center he write: "Download will resume in Wi-Fi coverage."
I turn on the Wi-Fi but he don't continue the downloading.

To go to recovery mode :

1. Turn off your phone
2. Press Volume UP + Volume Down + Power key at once and hold all the three keys for 2-3 seconds
3. You will see 4 options now, 2nd of which is Recovery Mode.
4. Go to Recovery mode by pressing volume down key once and select it by pressing volume up key.

For WiFi issue, give your phone a reboot.

Bensal1992

Jan 13, 2012
The update stuck at 35% so I reboot the device and the downloading continue. The 2.3.6 update was install successfully but now I see popup
91098614.jpg

In the "Andorid version" section write: "2.3.6".
So what is this?

note: When the download of the OTA update stuck at 35% I downloaded the update zip file from motorola website and transfer it to the SD CARD.
When I reboot the phone and the problem was resolved I delete the update zip file from the SD Card.
I need to install this update?

moofree

Oct 28, 2011
Texas
If you've got 55.13.25 successfully installed, I think you're good. You can just delete the update from your sdcard.
From the motorola page
Downloaded filename (Version.55.13.26) will be different from the final software status showing on your device (Version.55.13.25)

yigal66

Feb 16, 2009
just delete update from sd card and reboot phone.
BTW do you have problem with 3G which is switching to GPRS without any reason even in areas with good 3G signal?

Bensal1992

Jan 13, 2012
just delete update from sd card and reboot phone.
BTW do you have problem with 3G which is switching to GPRS without any reason even in areas with good 3G signal?

Yes I'm suffer from this issue. It's happens so often.
Is this a common problem?
שמתי לב שאתה ישראלי עכשיו אני גם באורנג' ואני סובל מהבעיה הזאת...

If you've got 55.13.25 successfully installed, I think you're good. You can just delete the update from your sdcard.
From the motorola page

Ok I did it. Thank you very much!!!

Last edited:

yigal66

Feb 16, 2009
Yes I suffering from 3G problem.
Actually I found workaround by using "network" by Phillip Mangelow application from market .
This application allows you to force network to 3G only (ATT blocked this option from settings).
Just remember if you force 3G you will lost connection in areas with low 3G signal.
And yes I am israely but I think we can't switch to hebrew on this forum :)

Top Liked Posts