[Q] Captivate SGH-I897 camera/Video/Gallery bugs

Search This thread

Tyannt

Dec 24, 2013
Hi..
Updated my cappy from Froyo 2.2 to UCKK4, now on Liquidsmooth v2.9 JB-4.2.2

Camera worked initially, video mode did not. Next day clicking the camera icon resulted in an
error saying "unfortunately gallery has quit/shut down".
Clearing data & cache in gallery helped to be able to take and view pics again but as soon as
i attempt to take video it crashes gallery again.

- Does a gallery problem affect camera or video use?
- Would another gallery app make any difference?
- Would freezing, or turning any google apps/tasks off cause this problem?

Any advice appreciated..........

Tyannt

Dec 24, 2013
The issues you have are ROM specific, not device specific. The ROM you use was never released for Captivate and therefore has no support on this device. You may eventually look for solutions in i9000 forum - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2223729

Well, thanks again Val D..

I was given the ROM directly from a member knowing I had a captivate, nothing mentioned
about it NOT being released for the Cappy... Hmmm!
Too bad cause I kinda liked it but not without Video/Camera. Possibly could have found
a fix.. another time maybe!
Flashed back to UCKK4... Will take some extra time choosing next!

Val D.

Jun 19, 2012
Toronto
If you want to actually use your Captivate, then go with light JB ROMs like GamerzROM (don't change default kernel), ported CyanAOSP (with Semaphore 3.0.0c kernel) or just default CM10.1.0 (10.1.3 is a full package ROM, heavier than 10.1.0). If you want just to play with it, then you can try every full featured ROM available for Captivate. Keep in mind though that Captivate is a >3y old very limited RAM device and every single service or feature you run makes it progressively slower. I wouldn't recommend any 4.3.x based ROM, all I have tested are slower than 4.2.2 based. 4.4.x based ROMs are still in development, with some missing device specific features.

Reactions: 4-2ndtwin

Tyannt

Dec 24, 2013
If you want to actually use your Captivate, then go with light JB ROMs like GamerzROM (don't change default kernel), ported CyanAOSP (with Semaphore 3.0.0c kernel) or just default CM10.1.0 (10.1.3 is a full package ROM, heavier than 10.1.0). If you want just to play with it, then you can try every full featured ROM available for Captivate. Keep in mind though that Captivate is a >3y old very limited RAM device and every single service or feature you run makes it progressively slower. I wouldn't recommend any 4.3.x based ROM, all I have tested are slower than 4.2.2 based. 4.4.x based ROMs are still in development, with some missing device specific features.

Val D..
Have flashed back to Stock UCKK4 in the mean time..

Not really looking for a full featured ROM; prefer something very slim/light, keeping in mind the cappy's age,
then add the apps I use. It's just a tool to me! Lol
That said, would you think the light JB "GamerzROM" would be the best choice of the ones you mentioned?

Thanks again, really appreciate the suggestions! Very helpful and informative!

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
Val D..
Have flashed back to Stock UCKK4 in the mean time..

Not really looking for a full featured ROM; prefer something very slim/light, keeping in mind the cappy's age,
then add the apps I use. It's just a tool to me! Lol
That said, would you think the light JB "GamerzROM" would be the best choice of the ones you mentioned?

Thanks again, really appreciate the suggestions! Very helpful and informative!

There's Slimbean if you want something really light.

Val D.

Jun 19, 2012
Toronto

You'll need to find what is best for you, there is no universal best choice. I'm running stripped down version of CM10.1 Stable with Semaphore 3.0.0c kernel. Closest ROM to my own version is ported CyanAOSP. SlimBean is also a very good ROM, but unfortunately best 4.2.2 based version IMHO build 6 is not available anymore on their website. Honestly, there is no JB ROM without any lag. Captivate is just too old and slow device to run well newer Android versions. Forget about Liquid Smooth, For Gaming, Fastest, etc. statements, no such thing. Play a little with any new dual or quad core device with more available and much faster RAM and you'll see what I'm talking about. Captivate is good with a basic ROM and no more than 20-30 light apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyannt

Tyannt

Dec 24, 2013
You'll need to find what is best for you, there is no universal best choice. I'm running stripped down version of CM10.1 Stable with Semaphore 3.0.0c kernel. Closest ROM to my own version is ported CyanAOSP. SlimBean is also a very good ROM, but unfortunately best 4.2.2 based version IMHO build 6 is not available anymore on their website. Honestly, there is no JB ROM without any lag. Captivate is just too old and slow device to run well newer Android versions. Forget about Liquid Smooth, For Gaming, Fastest, etc. statements, no such thing. Play a little with any new dual or quad core device with more available and much faster RAM and you'll see what I'm talking about. Captivate is good with a basic ROM and no more than 20-30 light apps.

Funny you mention Slimbean BWolf56, basically what I've been partial to.. My particular problem
is being new to all this is, determining just how light/slim a particular ROM is!
I notice quite a differemce in ROM sizes when downloaded but is that any indication?

And Val D, I understand what you're saying, a phone being just a computer so... I'll soon find out what
the captivate can handle!

Thanks guys!!

PS.. I've been keeping a record of what I've done, as well as a database of all the files and programs I've used!
Haha, I hate looking for something twice!

I'll give a holler when I've checked out another! :)

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
Funny you mention Slimbean BWolf56, basically what I've been partial to.. My particular problem
is being new to all this is, determining just how light/slim a particular ROM is!
I notice quite a differemce in ROM sizes when downloaded but is that any indication?

And Val D, I understand what you're saying, a phone being just a computer so... I'll soon find out what

Thanks guys!!

PS.. I've been keeping a record of what I've done, as well as a database of all the files and programs I've used!

ROM size is an indication but features in the thread's OP are really what you're looking for (shorter the better in your case).

Reactions: Tyannt

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The issues you have are ROM specific, not device specific. The ROM you use was never released for Captivate and therefore has no support on this device. You may eventually look for solutions in i9000 forum - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2223729

Thanks guys!!

ROM size is an indication but features in the thread's OP are really what you're looking for (shorter the better in your case).