Enabling the GSM radio

Search This thread

DiamondJay20

Jun 11, 2011
I did a SIM card check on Surfing Dino's SIM info app, and this phone does have a SIM card. We know that the other Galaxy S3s have GSM capabilities, and Verizon is releasing an OTA soon to allow global roaming. While Sprint's SIM is embedded, it wouldn't be too hard to access it with a knife and cut the plastic, or order a backpiece of ebay. Can someone work on, or is someone working on finding a way to hack this, or verify if the Sprint version could be hacked to support a GSM update? I heard someone hacked the Verizon Galaxy Nexus to do this.

I'd love to take my GS3 around the world and sell my Photon.

DiamondJay20

Jun 11, 2011
The Sprint version's SIM card is for LTE.

I know that, and I know SIM cards are why Verizon has them in their 4G LTE phones. But as Verizon is releasing an update to the Rezound, Spectrum, Razr (reg. and Maxx), and their version of the Galaxy S3, I'd assume the SIM card function in both Sprint and Verizon Galaxy S3's is the same inside the US, as they're both CDMA carriers.

What I wanna know is if the SIM card could possibly be taken out, replaced with a foreign SIM and put back in if a hack could be developed to allow GSM use/roaming on the Sprint Galaxy S3.

s3xda

Jun 22, 2012
I know that, and I know SIM cards are why Verizon has them in their 4G LTE phones. But as Verizon is releasing an update to the Rezound, Spectrum, Razr (reg. and Maxx), and their version of the Galaxy S3, I'd assume the SIM card function in both Sprint and Verizon Galaxy S3's is the same inside the US, as they're both CDMA carriers.

What I wanna know is if the SIM card could possibly be taken out, replaced with a foreign SIM and put back in if a hack could be developed to allow GSM use/roaming on the Sprint Galaxy S3.

its different from a SIM card even tho it looks exactly like one. It only has the network info required to use lte for that particular provider. The contents of those chips arent modifiable

Last edited:

DiamondJay20

Jun 11, 2011
I know, but I mean if a firmware hack which could enable GSM roaming when the Sprint SIM is out would b possible, also to see if the Sprint SIM is welded to the thing or not

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

bl8zeone360

Sep 5, 2009
york
There is no removable sim in the sprint galaxy s3. I repair phone for a living. There is a component on the board that controls the radio frequencies.

DiamondJay20

Jun 11, 2011
As far as I know, no. And "enabling" it would be impossible because we only have an embedded LTE SIM; even if we could desolder it a regular GSM SIM wouldn't work (at least from what I understand).

how do you know its soldered? A Sprint rep told me on the phone, for what thats worth, that if something went wrong with the SIM I could take it to a Sprint store and have it fixed, and I doubt a Sprint store has soldering equipment.

DiamondJay20

Jun 11, 2011
The Sprint Galaxy S III does not have a GSM radio to enable anyway. The SIM is for LTE, even replacing it with a GSM SIM card wouldn't do anything but stop your LTE from working.

I wanna know if one could hack it with a GSM ROM/radio like they did with Verizon's Galaxy Nexus. Thats what this thread is about.

nicholaaaas

Jun 18, 2010
B-more
how do you know its soldered? A Sprint rep told me on the phone, for what thats worth, that if something went wrong with the SIM I could take it to a Sprint store and have it fixed, and I doubt a Sprint store has soldering equipment.

soldering equipment? you mean a soldering iron?

why do you want to go through all this trouble? if you want a gsm phone so bad go to att or tmo

Valicore

Feb 21, 2007
San Jose, California
All the chipsets are the same for all US S3s, so they all theoretically have the ability to support GSM. However, they need power amplifiers and antennas to hook into that capability of the chipset, and no one knows whether or not Sprint's version of the S3 has those things, and I'm not an engineer so I wouldn't know where to begin to try and figure it out. I don't particularly want to void the warranty on my phone, so I haven't taken off the back cover and don't know if the SIM is actually embedded (soldered onto the board) or is just non-user accessible.

We know the VZW model has this capability because they tested it when it was going through the FCC, in addition they said it would. In the larger picture the reason that it has this ability is related to restrictions placed on Verizon due to the spectrum they purchased which prevents them from locking down their phones. Sprint, as far as I know, has no such restrictions/requirements placed upon it and thus, other than just because I really would like it to be possible, it isn't likely that that capability is built into the phone and, even if it is, I doubt we'll ever get access to a radio that would allow us to take advantage of it. I'd love it if anyone had more information on this though, I'd kill to use my phone abroad.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

DiamondJay20

Jun 11, 2011
All the chipsets are the same for all US S3s, so they all theoretically have the ability to support GSM. However, they need power amplifiers and antennas to hook into that capability of the chipset, and no one knows whether or not Sprint's version of the S3 has those things, and I'm not an engineer so I wouldn't know where to begin to try and figure it out. I don't particularly want to void the warranty on my phone, so I haven't taken off the back cover and don't know if the SIM is actually embedded (soldered onto the board) or is just non-user accessible.

We know the VZW model has this capability because they tested it when it was going through the FCC, in addition they said it would. In the larger picture the reason that it has this ability is related to restrictions placed on Verizon due to the spectrum they purchased which prevents them from locking down their phones. Sprint, as far as I know, has no such restrictions/requirements placed upon it and thus, other than just because I really would like it to be possible, it isn't likely that that capability is built into the phone and, even if it is, I doubt we'll ever get access to a radio that would allow us to take advantage of it. I'd love it if anyone had more information on this though, I'd kill to use my phone abroad.

If others would be willing to donate, I would be willing to donate too, to get a teardown of the phone to see about this. Why Sprint would ever let one of the biggest sellers of the year go without a HUGE selling point, I don't know. I do also wonder, would Samsung spend the money when manufacturing them to make hundreds of thousands, if not millions of phones substantially different and cut into their margins when the carrier can lock it down anyway?

why do you want to go through all this trouble? if you want a gsm phone so bad go to att or tmo
Or I want the Sprint pricing, unlimited, LTE (which T-Mobile's not gonna have for some time), but flexibility and to be able to take the phone I paid over 600+ for abroad.

Last edited:
R

roxy.schram

Okay. I for one do believe it would be possible but I'm not willing to disassemble my S3. I know from past experience that Verizon's slot used by their LTE slot is nothing more than a standard SIM slot. I know this because I've radio hacked the Bionic to use on AT&T and people have done the same for the Razr. The Qualcomm MSM radio chip when hacked with RadioComm which I happen to have a copy of allowed me to enable AT&T freq. I've done the same with the Droid 2 Global and Droid 3. The Droid 4 is also able to as well I believe. Qualcomm manufactures the radios, not the providers and not Samsung. Therefore the functions are there do use GSM freq. Whether or not the phone actually have the slot is a different story and until I see pictures of a Sprint S3 with the slot then I'm going to assume it doesn't.

DiamondJay20

Jun 11, 2011
Okay. I for one do believe it would be possible but I'm not willing to disassemble my S3. I know from past experience that Verizon's slot used by their LTE slot is nothing more than a standard SIM slot. I know this because I've radio hacked the Bionic to use on AT&T and people have done the same for the Razr. The Qualcomm MSM radio chip when hacked with RadioComm which I happen to have a copy of allowed me to enable AT&T freq. I've done the same with the Droid 2 Global and Droid 3. The Droid 4 is also able to as well I believe. Qualcomm manufactures the radios, not the providers and not Samsung. Therefore the functions are there do use GSM freq. Whether or not the phone actually have the slot is a different story and until I see pictures of a Sprint S3 with the slot then I'm going to assume it doesn't.

http://www.globaldirectparts.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=SMSNG6116840 there's a picture of the SIM slot

7674576718_0e3ef3c80c_n.jpg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know, but I mean if a firmware hack which could enable GSM roaming when the Sprint SIM is out would b possible, also to see if the Sprint SIM is welded to the thing or not

Not "welded" soldered.. lol

why does this thread still exist?

hey guise does anyone know if it's possible to hack my phone and put a 16 core processor in it and 32 gigs of ddr17 ram in it? I'm sure some of the devs can make it happen. Also can you make it work on Korean LTE? Thanks
    I did a SIM card check on Surfing Dino's SIM info app, and this phone does have a SIM card. We know that the other Galaxy S3s have GSM capabilities, and Verizon is releasing an OTA soon to allow global roaming. While Sprint's SIM is embedded, it wouldn't be too hard to access it with a knife and cut the plastic, or order a backpiece of ebay. Can someone work on, or is someone working on finding a way to hack this, or verify if the Sprint version could be hacked to support a GSM update? I heard someone hacked the Verizon Galaxy Nexus to do this.

I'd love to take my GS3 around the world and sell my Photon.

Excuse my English, it is not my native tongue.

I'm sorry to inform you that there is physical sim card either soldered or hidden. I took my SG3 apart removed the heat-sink below the plastic cover underneath the sd card tray and there is nothing that resembles a sim card. So I had a different idea, I have a t-mobile SG3, both phones are nearly identical down to the sdcard-sim card board (Sprint only has the SD card board) I removed the connectors boards, installed t-mo board in the Sprint SG3 to my surprise the plug was identical. However, as soon as I tried to power on the Sprint model it would not turn on, no matter how long i would hold the power on button or if I removed the sim card from the tray. :eek:
    Maybe also because those young people tend to use smartphones more, which is what we're talking. Also, Facebook now has a median age of higher than the 18-30 age group. When T-Mobile gets the iPhone and opens up the radio band for 3/4G, Sprint is gonna start to sink like a rock in water also in part due to its massive debt which eventually will halt LTE in its tracks.

All major corporations operate at "massive debt"

Just throwing this out there, I also work on sprint devices for a living. Something I have been tinkering around with my s3 is on the actual board of the device where the memory card reader plugs into the device the actual on board plug is of course no different then that of any of the us variants that have a sim card reader coupled with the memory card reader. I flashed my s3 to cm10 because in the network settings you can choose to use default NIV settings or sim settings. K owing this and the fact that it does have a gem radio in the device I took a sim card/memory card reader replacing the stock unit and was able to get my phone to attempt to activate using a deactivated at&t sim card I had to cut to fit. I'm also throw I g this out there that I'm not entirely certain if this actually will work I'm also going on to say further that if anyone wants to try it and throw in some input that would be much appreciated also lastly if anyone e does try this and FUBAR there device I am not in no shape or form responcible. Ive always wanted to have a reason to say that.:laugh:

no one has shown a lick of proof that it actually has a gsm radio. the fcc filings do not indicate anywhere there is a gsm radio inside. once again claims with no proof