[APP] Linux Installer Taken almost 4 Days to Install

Search This thread

bgiesing

It has taken me almost 4 Days (Since Sunday at 1pm Central Time to now) to download and install Linux on my ASUS Transformer TF101 running AOKP Build 33 using Linux Installer from Google Play... AND IT IS STILL NOT DONE!!!! It is at package number 50,280 of Debian Testing. I don't want to press the Home or Back button cause that might screw up my device... And I can't cancel cause the button disappeared... I tried to email the maker of the app to ask them if this was normal or if I could do anything about it and haven't got a reply back...

Can anybody help me?

bgiesing

It is probably your internet connection.
Just download it to your computer and transfer it as per this thread
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1449678&highlight=linux+installer

One, It has been done downloaded cause my WiFi has been turned off for 3 of the now 5 days.

Two, I am not using that app, I am using https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.galoula.LinuxInstall

Three, It says it is Verifying Packages and it is at 70,000 something.

EDIT: Okay I canceled using that app and am now using the one you suggested...

However I get a bunch of errors

Kinda like this:
/ $ su
~ # cd sdcard/ubuntu
/mnt/sdcard/ubuntu # sh ubuntu.sh
mkdir failed for /data/local/mnt, File exists
Loop device exists
mount: Invalid argument
mount: No such file or directory
mount: mounting /sdcard on /data/local/mnt/sdcard failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting /sdcard/external_sd on /data/local/mnt/external_sd failed: No such file or directory
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
ubuntu.sh: line 31: can't create /data/local/mnt/etc/resolv.conf: nonexistent directory
ubuntu.sh: line 32: can't create /data/local/mnt/etc/resolv.conf: nonexistent directory
ubuntu.sh: line 33: can't create /data/local/mnt/etc/hosts: nonexistent directory
Ubuntu is configured with SSH and VNC servers that can be accessed from the IP:
eth0: No such device

chroot: can't execute '/root/init.sh': No such file or directory
Shutting down Ubuntu ARM
failed.
failed.
failed.
failed.
failed.
failed.
/mnt/sdcard/ubuntu #

Not exactly the same but I also get an extra one saying loop255 not found and I looked and all my stuff in my dev folder has the year 2012 in front of it. So loop255 says "2012 loop255" making the script not work.

Edit 2: Here is correct output from terminal, I am on AOKP build 33.

app_85@android:/ $ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
app_85@android:/ $ su
app_85@android:/ # cd /sdcard/ubuntu
app_85@android:/sdcard/ubuntu # sh ubuntu.sh
Loop device exists
mount: mounting /sdcard on /data/local/mnt/sdcard failed: I/O error
mount: mounting /Removable/MicroSD on /data/local/mnt/external_sd failed: I/O error
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
ubuntu.sh[58]: cannot create /data/local/mnt/etc/resolv.conf: Not a directory
ubuntu.sh[59]: cannot create /data/local/mnt/etc/resolv.conf: Not a directory
ubuntu.sh[60]: cannot create /data/local/mnt/etc/hosts: Not a directory
Ubuntu is configured with SSH and VNC servers that can be accessed from the IP:
eth0: No such device

chroot: can't execute '/root/init.sh': Not a directory
Shutting down Ubuntu ARM
failed: I/O error
failed: I/O error
losetup: /dev/block/loop255: No such device or address
1|app_85@android:/sdcard/ubuntu #

Last edited:

gruinelli

Apr 23, 2012
Any update on the issue with the never ending "validating packages"?

I have the same issue. Was running it for the whole day until it reached 7000, then I canceled and tried again.

The weird fing is, when i tried it the first time, it worked very wuickly and without any issues. But as I had a far too small 500MB image, I tried it again. But since that, no success.

Is it possible that there are some old data kept somewhere?
Is it possible to do a clean start?
I tried already the "reset config" function.

yebyen

Apr 26, 2012
Neverending Validating Packages, No Network Required same as previous poster...

Any update on the issue with the never ending "validating packages"?

I have the same issue. Was running it for the whole day until it reached 7000, then I canceled and tried again.

The weird fing is, when i tried it the first time, it worked very wuickly and without any issues. But as I had a far too small 500MB image, I tried it again. But since that, no success.

Is it possible that there are some old data kept somewhere?
Is it possible to do a clean start?
I tried already the "reset config" function.

I am having the same issue, I also have a Transformer TF-101
I had issues with the "other" Complete Linux Installer that resulted in I/O errors that I've read about being a problem on Transformer tablets or possibly NVidia Tegra tablets

I am using Linux Installer STD or "Galoula" linux installer

I e-mailed a note to support@galoula but it was kind of wordy and didn't include any attachments, don't know if I will get a reply
I did not mention to them that it was a TF-101

I will probably try debootstrap for myself in a while. I think they've put out a ****load of documentation and I can probably learn more from that documentation than I could by just running the app and installing...

Anyway, I too am not convinced that it's doing anything, I waited for 7000 last night and gave up.

Here is a screenshot of the last status report before I cancelled this time.

This is a really useful looking tool, that could save me a lot of time, but with ext2 filesystem I'm not sure how useful it would be...

Does anyone know how to get mkfs.ext4 on a transformer? It has kernel support, all of the existing filesystems are ext4. But no mkfs.ext3 or mkfs.ext4 seems to be available or on the disk already. I am thinking about preparing my loop file on another machine with some instructions from the wiki instead. It's just debootstrap... I already know how to use debootstrap. Hopefully this tool will recognize the installed system and prompt me to update my linuxchroot script, if it does that it would still be worthwhile to use.

--Kingdon

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-08-17-14-31-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-17-14-31-03.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 423

certifiednoob93

Aug 11, 2012
It has taken me almost 4 Days (Since Sunday at 1pm Central Time to now) to download and install Linux on my ASUS Transformer TF101 running AOKP Build 33 using Linux Installer from Google Play... AND IT IS STILL NOT DONE!!!! It is at package number 50,280 of Debian Testing. I don't want to press the Home or Back button cause that might screw up my device... And I can't cancel cause the button disappeared... I tried to email the maker of the app to ask them if this was normal or if I could do anything about it and haven't got a reply back...

Can anybody help me?

4 days? Damn that's a long time. I could have flashed 4 nightlies. It took me 20 minutes on a low wifi connection with the epic 4g

treat ur girl like how u treat ur epic

Tr4sHCr4fT

Jul 31, 2011
I have the feeling it could have to do something with the /etc/hosts file
i blanked mine out (came prefilled by rom dev) and used AdFree
now it does not stuck at "validating", now its stuck at "resolving dependencies" :eek: