Chrome only sees Cast when wired to Router

Search This thread

mogul420

Jan 27, 2008
San Juan
Hello everyone.

I've been trying to cast from my laptop but I don't see it (No Cast Devices found). I'm able to cast effortlessly from my Android device though.

Now, after poking here and there I tried connecting my laptop directly to the router and then Chrome detected my cast device.

Any idea of what it could be? This may be the wrong forum to post this but not even Google Support has figured out what's wrong.

Thanks!

sic0048

Jun 25, 2010
Google Pixel 7
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Do you have a dual band router that is broadcasting 2.4 and 5 ghz signals? I've read of people having issues when the Chromecast uses 2.4 and your computer is trying to connect via the 5ghz network. Personally I have iPads and my Android phone connecting over 5ghz while my Chromecast is on 2.4 and don't have any problems. But perhaps it is a router issue. I use a WAP running DD-WRT, so it is better than most OEM routers out there.

bozzykid

May 1, 2011
Do you have a dual band router that is broadcasting 2.4 and 5 ghz signals? I've read of people having issues when the Chromecast uses 2.4 and your computer is trying to connect via the 5ghz network. Personally I have iPads and my Android phone connecting over 5ghz while my Chromecast is on 2.4 and don't have any problems. But perhaps it is a router issue. I use a WAP running DD-WRT, so it is better than most OEM routers out there.

There should not be an issue with connecting on different bands unless you segregate the 5ghz band on your router. Most routers are not setup to do that but if you have made changes, it is possible.

mogul420

Jan 27, 2008
San Juan
I checked the AP isolation thing before posting. So it wasnt that. I also flashed DD-WRT on it just to make sure. Same result.

We all on the same network/SSID.

Google cant figure out why Chrone only sees it only when wired im still waiting for them to come back with a workaround. If they do ill post it.

Ashcunak

I checked the AP isolation thing before posting. So it wasnt that. I also flashed DD-WRT on it just to make sure. Same result.

We all on the same network/SSID.

Google cant figure out why Chrone only sees it only when wired im still waiting for them to come back with a workaround. If they do ill post it.

wild guess... if its not AP isolation maybe your wifi card has a firewall enabled and your Ethernet port doesn't?

mogul420

Jan 27, 2008
San Juan
wild guess... if its not AP isolation maybe your wifi card has a firewall enabled and your Ethernet port doesn't?

checked. firewall is off.

weirder, the Chromecast app detects it, but my browser doesnt.

Code:

Attachments

• ccast.JPG
    ccast.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 162
  • nocast.JPG
    nocast.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 136

tamanaco

Jul 18, 2006
New York
checked. firewall is off.
weirder, the Chromecast app detects it, but my browser doesnt.

I'm on the same boat with a "similar" problem. I have a Netgear N900 dual band router, but the issue persists while my main laptop (Win7) is connected via WiFi to either band (2.4GHz or 5.0GHz) or if I connect it directly to the router via Ethernet wire. Using the Chromecast app from the same laptop works without a hitch. I can also ping the Chromecast IP address without a problem. I have rebooted several times, uninstalled and re-installed Chrome and the Google Cast extension, but it makes no difference. I believe that the plugin is conflicting with "something" in this specific laptop. The issue is not with the LAN. All devices are on the same Network segment and respond to pings. The Google Cast extension works fine from two other laptops running Win7 with a similar setup, running the same version of the Chrome browser and Google Cast. I can also cast from my Android mobile devices (Nexus 7 & SGS3) using youtube. Suggestions anyone?

UPDATE:
The conflict was being caused by an active "virtual" network adapter. Specifically, the Leaf Network adapter that was installed with Netgear's ReadyShare Cloud. I guess this adapter works as a VPN to connect to the ReadyShare Cloud. I disabled this adapter and the Chromecast discovery worked. Apparently, the Chrome Cast extension is not smart enough to avoid virtual (VPN) adapters and link with the Primary (physical) wired/wireless adapter. At minimum, the extension should have an option to select the adapter to use. I don't user ReadyShare that frequently so having the adapter disabled does not bother me much.

Last edited:

bozzykid

May 1, 2011
The new update rolling out today is suppose to improve discovery so perhaps it will fix some of these issues.

tamanaco

Jul 18, 2006
New York
The new update rolling out today is suppose to improve discovery so perhaps it will fix some of these issues.

Thanks for the heads up. Is this a firmware update for the dongle or an updated Chrome Cast extension? Regardless, is there a a place where I can read about this update or a way for me to manually download it?

Btw, I found the conflict with my setup... I have updated my previous post.

Last edited:

tamanaco

Jul 18, 2006
New York
Got the Chromecast dongle "firmware" OTA update today. It went from release 12072 (shipped) to release 12840.. I don't think this is a "new" update that's supposed to be rolling out today.. If discovery was supposed to be improved with this release, it did not fix the issue with my ReadyShare Cloud virtual VPN adapters. Once I enable the Leaf Network adapter the device disappears from the Chrome Cast pull down. After reading about it a bit more, it appears that this 12840 OTA update patches the exploit used to get root. Oh well... does anyone know if there are any new features or what else is fixed with the 12840 release?

Last edited: