Nexus 7 Mic stopped working

Search This thread

Waitzar

Feb 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
I got my pre-ordered Nexus 7 16GB (from Staples) on 7/16 and everything worked fine until today. I just tried using Google Now and it is not picking my voice. So I went to Evernote to record Voice memo and it is not picking up anything either. I did Factory reset and not solving my mic issue. I think the mic in my Nexus 7 died? Anyone else got mic issue?

wopr101

Jul 18, 2012
I got my pre-ordered Nexus 7 16GB (from Staples) on 7/16 and everything worked fine until today. I just tried using Google Now and it is not picking my voice. So I went to Evernote to record Voice memo and it is not picking up anything either. I did Factory reset and not solving my mic issue. I think the mic in my Nexus 7 died? Anyone else got mic issue?

Mine appears to be dead straight out the box, not working in a hangout either :'(

wopr101

Jul 18, 2012
Did you try toggle the mic on/off?

Its not the toggle on/off but I have fixed mine with a rather strange fix.

Put your lips over the mic hole and gently suck for a second or two, this fixed mine. If you tap the back panel you will see it is working slightly(on Google now) but after doing the suck trick fixed the issue. Hope it works for you.

Reactions: fuphy

ostermang

Aug 28, 2008
Tried tapping on the back near the mic and mine doesn't register any sound at all. Tried sucking on the two mic holes which didn't seem to help.

How do you toggle the mic? I have searched everywhere for microphone options in the settings. I must be overlooking something.

sakanagai

Mar 22, 2011
My mic isn't non-functional, but it barely works. In order for it to register anything, I have to turn it so the mic is right in my mouth and practically shout.

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Just got off the phone with Nexus support. They said that my tablet is defective and has to get returned for a replacement (about a week).

ostermang

Aug 28, 2008
I just called Google and they are replacing mine as well. Luckily they do advanced exchange so I won't be without my new nexus 7.

Waitzar

Feb 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
I called Staples Customer Service this morning. They told me they will get me a new unit tomorrow and pick up my defected unit. Hopefully, I am not misunderstanding them. I am surprised they have stock to give me a new unit this quickly.

Waitzar

Feb 3, 2008
Seattle, WA

Put your lips over the mic hole and gently suck for a second or two, this fixed mine. If you tap the back panel you will see it is working slightly(on Google now) but after doing the suck trick fixed the issue. Hope it works for you.

That is a strange way you figure out how to fix your unit. I love my Nexus 7 but don't love it enough to put my lips around mic hole and suck on it. :silly:

:D

randpost

Dec 5, 2011
Phoenix
I love how simple it is to get people to suck on their tablets holes. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

sakanagai

Mar 22, 2011
I found the problem, at least on mine. You know that small hole in the case that allows sound to reach the microphone? Mine doesn't have that.The microphone itself is still there, but the solid case prevents it from picking up anything usable.

AyMV4eJCQAAUbul.png

e.mote

Feb 16, 2011
>Put your lips over the mic hole and gently suck for a second or two

:)

Make sure to close the door beforehand.

>You know that small hole in the case that allows sound to reach the microphone? Mine doesn't have that.

F9F3STYFMMCW06K.MEDIUM.jpg

Last edited:

clipse94

Jul 21, 2010

There is no way I'm doing that without a bottle of wine and a Barry Manolo album.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Sethnelson1

Dec 20, 2011
Fort Irwin

Mine has the same problem and the NFC chip doesnt work.

Mic quit working on my as well. Purchased mine last friday from Officemax and everything was good (including the mic). Tried Google Now last night (as well as a few other apps), and the mic was not working.

Factory reset and back to stock did nothing to fix the problem. Going to exchange it today.

wrdcndn

Jan 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale
Same thing happened to mine. Google is sending a replacement today. I don't understand how it just stops working after a couple weeks like that. Let's hope the new one doesn't have that problem.

akajetta

Dec 7, 2007
Austin
www.TheEccentric.me
The microphone on mine stopped working as well. I couldn't talk to Google now. I popped the back off, and it worked just fine. There is a little rubber 'gasket' around the actual mic, and where the hole in the case line up, that can come loose, and cover the wee little pinhole.

Phajja

Sep 26, 2012
My problem

I am also having problems with the microphone of nexus 7. I have observed two things. If i hold the device in portrait mode then the microphone works sometimes and sometimes not. And if i rotate it into landscape mode then it always works but then there is noise. Anyone else having a similar problem?

Gurun

Dec 14, 2010
Hi all.

I tried the suction with a vacuum cleaner :). It wasn't working.
But after a good look at a super video from Adam:

Nexus 7 unboxed the xda way

I noticed that you will not void your warranty by opening the back cover.
You have to be careful though, to not damage it.

THE SOLUTION:
- I opened the back cover from the top (where the camera is) and sides to get a better view
- use a small stick to gently poke the microphone (mine was slightly moving)
- then i pressed from top on that mic. and moved it probably 1 or 2 mm into the Nexus.

It's now working without any problem.

Hope it will be helpful to some of you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did you try toggle the mic on/off?